Slow bowels HELP

iLoveSugar

Desperately looking for help here as I think it's central to my LONG list of symptoms!! The things I currently do are eat a carrot salad daily or a can of mashed bamboo shoots, cascara sagrada daily, a way bigger dose than normal, I drink 4 to 6 cups of coffee a day, and take 15-25 mcg thyroid daily.

maroozio

I've found this site to be extremely helpful. Even though everything would not be "peat approved", I've found it to be extremely helpful.

gutsense.org

Good luck!

OP
I

iLoveSugar

maroozio said:
I've found this site to be extremely helpful. Even though everything would not be "peat approved", I've found it to be extremely helpful.

gutsense.org

Good luck!

I have seen it before. Isn't he high on probiotics and saturated fat?

maroozio

I avoid unsaturated fats like the plague. Probiotics are tricky as you'll need the right type and brand in therapeutic amounts. Bifido strains are the most important for the bowel. I used to be in the supplement industry and will tell you most of the stuff on the market is crap. Had to leave in disgust.

ilovethesea

ILoveSugar, how is your pulse/temperature? Are you on 15-25mcg of Cytomel? If you are still hypo that's probably the underlying cause...

Have you tried aspirin or cascara? Also this is interesting:

"They should be doing something for the constipation; inflammation is often involved, and aspirin and cascara (emodin) are helpful if the main blockage can be overcome with enemas. Inflamed tissues are hyperosmotic, so enemas with the standard 0.9% saline cause tissue swelling; double or triple osmolar saline is usually helpful. " - RP

ilovethesea said:
ILoveSugar, how is your pulse/temperature? Are you on 15-25mcg of Cytomel? If you are still hypo that's probably the underlying cause...

"They should be doing something for the constipation; inflammation is often involved, and aspirin and cascara (emodin) are helpful if the main blockage can be overcome with enemas. Inflamed tissues are hyperosmotic, so enemas with the standard 0.9% saline cause tissue swelling; double or triple osmolar saline is usually helpful. " - RP

I can tell you that drinking salty water gives you that kick :mrgreen:

honeybee

Have you tried testing your ph? I test occasionally . When I am more acidic, I'm more blocked. I will use basking soda in h20 at nite to become more alkaline and that usually helps temporarily.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

ilovethesea said:

My pulse is normally between 76-84, but sometimes spikes. No matter how high I have gone, and what I have ate, I can't get my temps up consistently for nothing.

I eat a TON of cascara each night, way more than the recommended dose.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Such_Saturation said:
ilovethesea said:

I can tell you that drinking salty water gives you that kick :mrgreen:

Drinking salty water really does nothing for me.

How about hot showers in the morning after coffee, staying in blankets afterwards?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Such_Saturation said:
How about hot showers in the morning after coffee, staying in blankets afterwards?

I usually wake up and shine some heavy 250w light on me for a bit. My digestion varies so much. I drank a cup of milk tonight and went to the restroom 4 times afterwards.

I started moving much quicker when I realized I could force my temperature up. Also grating carrots and dressing them heavily works much better than just eating them.

Jenn

Speaking from experience, you may want to stop taking the carrots and bamboo for a while. They can make passage way too slow, in some people. For me, niacinimide with the CS makes a big difference as does some internal epsom salts. Aloe vera and gelatin can both help repair damaged bowels.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

For some reason, now milk is causing terrible urgency. I had a cup yesterday, got a sour stomach, and went like 4 times. Same thing today with a different brand of milk. Ugh!!

c093

iLoveSugar said:
And once again, back to not going at all!!! Smh

Hello iLoveSugar! I've been having all of the same symptoms as you and some...I actually read some of your older posts by way of searching for answers on this board and google and couldn't believe how accurately you were describing what I have been going through. :(
Long story short-- followed prothyroid RP-inspired protocol via diet (no supplements except the odd aspirin. I tried a couple of the recommended things like pregnenolone and others, but could not afford them long term) for about 3 years. Had all kinds of improvement energy-wise and cognitively, which is the main reason I was interested to begin with. I haven't been perfect but definitely feeling the best in a long time (memory improvements, little anxiety and attention deficit) and good enough to get me through school. Fast-foward to about 8 months ago where I started having seemingly out of nowhere, the most intensely painful stomach pain that would wake me up out of a dead sleep. I actually panicked and found myself in the emergency room which turned out to be useless and pointless. Since then I have had such severe constipation along with passing mucus blood daily (sorry to be graphic!) and other very scary things...I somehow made it through the rest of the school year, but barely.
I still suffer daily now upper and low left quadrant pain (like right under my rib). Sometimes it moves to the right side or my back too.
I hve seen a couple of GI's. expensive and for the most part pointless. I have been in contact with RP who has been generous and shared some ideas on what I could try, but so far, I have not noticed dramatic changes.

One GI diagnosed me with SIBO and IBS-C which I guess is what happens when everything else is ruled out. I took a very expensive antibiotic that my insurance would not cover, and it seemed to work but the second the cylce was over, all of my symptoms returned thought the stomach/bowel pain seemed to be muted for a while. I even got desperate and tried yogurt, probiotics, and everything I have really avoided for the last 3 years, but symptoms stayed the same or ot worse. I have hyoscyamine for when I experience the pain (spasms) and RP said this is o.k. as it can be anti-inflammatory and as an anticholinergic can be helpful with my symptoms.
I still have yet to figure out the severe constipation thing which is worrisome as continuation of blood/mucus present when I do actually go makes me think I am setting myself up for some terrible things down the road.
I removed the possible allergens from my diet as Ray suggested, but still no real improvement. He did suggest keeping TSH very low can also be anti-inflammatory, so I am already taking NDT (just nutripak but I might order the one from Thailand) and some cynomel but not sure it is really doing much for my symptoms.

As there is a definite link between the gut and neurotransmitters and brain, he suggested the cyproheptadine for me, so I am trying to get a hold of it. However, I was reading randomly how reducing serotonin can be constipating in itself, so now I am really confused :|
I wish I had more help for you! I also cut out the raw carrot for now, definitely slows my already slow system down.
Cascara Sagrada did not work for me until over 72 hours later when I experienced the intense pain ever so I am not really going to try it again.
Tried aloe, senna, magnesium, all of the usual natural laxatives suspects, and they all work but very very delayed and give me pain when I finally do go.

Oddly enough, oatmeal (way over-cooked rolled oats) with coconut oil/butter is the only thing to make me consistently go without pain. I really don't like oats (would rather eat fruit or potatoes which I was successful with until this all started), but I have been because it seems to be the only thing working. I don't think it is the soluble fiber because I eat other things with that, plus out of desperation I also tried this soluble fiber recommended by one of my GI's, but it wasn't really effective and made my pain worse.

I am thinking maybe it is the beta-glucan in oats? I have been trying to search RP's opinion on beta-glucan but haven't been able to find it and I feel sorry to keeping bothering him as he has already been so generous with helping me sort through this.
But if that is what is working then I was thinking of trying something like this https://www.protherainc.com/prod/prodde ... ?id=K-GALC
instead of continuing to eat oats.

If I figure anything else out that works, I will let you know. Also, I should had my temps are always high and my pulse seems to be good. My thyroid panel came back normal (TSH .98, etc) but I know that isn't neccesarily a good indicator and pulse and temps can be more helpful.
Also, I should add, I am not losing weight but I am also not overweight.
I also am not stressed out as the GIs keep suggesting to me. I finished school for now and am in a good relationship and good job..and yet the pain and severe constipation persists. So who knows.
I literally feel your pain though! Hope this can be figured out for us!

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Yeah, my problems are so much deeper now. Many days I don't go at all, many times I have the blood/mucous also, etc. My arthirtis pains are terrible, always faint now, crazy fatigued, etc. It's just all piling on. Cyprophetadine did nothing for me at all. And when I did take it, I could not go for days. It definitely slows things down more for me.

c093

I am very sorry that you (and me!) are dealing with this. It is horrible really.
One more thing, MCT oil alone occassionally works like a laxative, I need to test it more often as I keep forgetting at night.
I have tried coconut oil just in hot water or coffee because excess fat used to work (pre-RP diet) like a laxative for me, but it no longer has that effect. A lot of the other foods I eat have fat too (whole milk , cheese,) so I don't think it is the lack of fat but my stools, when I actually do go, are still really dry and sometimes pellet-like. I am really at a loss, I am sure you must be too.
Everyone across the RP boards have had great advice, but unfortunately, I have tried most of it and nothing is working. I have had such great improvements otherwise so I really don't know why/how this all started.
Maybe there is something else or some other mechanism between the gut motility and brain? or some inflammatory process that keeps getting triggered?

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Same with me, fat like coconut oil or butter used to work very well for me. And no longer has any effect. I have tried all the other advice as well, carrots, bamboo, cascara sagrada, magnesium, etc. At a loss.

c093 said:
iLoveSugar said:
And once again, back to not going at all!!! Smh

Hello iLoveSugar! I've been having all of the same symptoms as you and some...I actually read some of your older posts by way of searching for answers on this board and google and couldn't believe how accurately you were describing what I have been going through. :(
Long story short-- followed prothyroid RP-inspired protocol via diet (no supplements except the odd aspirin. I tried a couple of the recommended things like pregnenolone and others, but could not afford them long term) for about 3 years. Had all kinds of improvement energy-wise and cognitively, which is the main reason I was interested to begin with. I haven't been perfect but definitely feeling the best in a long time (memory improvements, little anxiety and attention deficit) and good enough to get me through school. Fast-foward to about 8 months ago where I started having seemingly out of nowhere, the most intensely painful stomach pain that would wake me up out of a dead sleep. I actually panicked and found myself in the emergency room which turned out to be useless and pointless. Since then I have had such severe constipation along with passing mucus blood daily (sorry to be graphic!) and other very scary things...I somehow made it through the rest of the school year, but barely.
I still suffer daily now upper and low left quadrant pain (like right under my rib). Sometimes it moves to the right side or my back too.
I hve seen a couple of GI's. expensive and for the most part pointless. I have been in contact with RP who has been generous and shared some ideas on what I could try, but so far, I have not noticed dramatic changes.

One GI diagnosed me with SIBO and IBS-C which I guess is what happens when everything else is ruled out. I took a very expensive antibiotic that my insurance would not cover, and it seemed to work but the second the cylce was over, all of my symptoms returned thought the stomach/bowel pain seemed to be muted for a while. I even got desperate and tried yogurt, probiotics, and everything I have really avoided for the last 3 years, but symptoms stayed the same or ot worse. I have hyoscyamine for when I experience the pain (spasms) and RP said this is o.k. as it can be anti-inflammatory and as an anticholinergic can be helpful with my symptoms.
I still have yet to figure out the severe constipation thing which is worrisome as continuation of blood/mucus present when I do actually go makes me think I am setting myself up for some terrible things down the road.
I removed the possible allergens from my diet as Ray suggested, but still no real improvement. He did suggest keeping TSH very low can also be anti-inflammatory, so I am already taking NDT (just nutripak but I might order the one from Thailand) and some cynomel but not sure it is really doing much for my symptoms.

As there is a definite link between the gut and neurotransmitters and brain, he suggested the cyproheptadine for me, so I am trying to get a hold of it. However, I was reading randomly how reducing serotonin can be constipating in itself, so now I am really confused :|
I wish I had more help for you! I also cut out the raw carrot for now, definitely slows my already slow system down.
Cascara Sagrada did not work for me until over 72 hours later when I experienced the intense pain ever so I am not really going to try it again.
Tried aloe, senna, magnesium, all of the usual natural laxatives suspects, and they all work but very very delayed and give me pain when I finally do go.

Oddly enough, oatmeal (way over-cooked rolled oats) with coconut oil/butter is the only thing to make me consistently go without pain. I really don't like oats (would rather eat fruit or potatoes which I was successful with until this all started), but I have been because it seems to be the only thing working. I don't think it is the soluble fiber because I eat other things with that, plus out of desperation I also tried this soluble fiber recommended by one of my GI's, but it wasn't really effective and made my pain worse.

I am thinking maybe it is the beta-glucan in oats? I have been trying to search RP's opinion on beta-glucan but haven't been able to find it and I feel sorry to keeping bothering him as he has already been so generous with helping me sort through this.
But if that is what is working then I was thinking of trying something like this https://www.protherainc.com/prod/prodde ... ?id=K-GALC
instead of continuing to eat oats.

If I figure anything else out that works, I will let you know. Also, I should had my temps are always high and my pulse seems to be good. My thyroid panel came back normal (TSH .98, etc) but I know that isn't neccesarily a good indicator and pulse and temps can be more helpful.
Also, I should add, I am not losing weight but I am also not overweight.
I also am not stressed out as the GIs keep suggesting to me. I finished school for now and am in a good relationship and good job..and yet the pain and severe constipation persists. So who knows.
I literally feel your pain though! Hope this can be figured out for us!

Have you never gotten an endoscopy? Peating doesn't make my gastritis worse but it surely keeps it hanging around. You might benefit from a cycle of proton pump inhibitors (works but makes everything else worse) or even HCl treatment.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals