Thyroid doesn't work for me

iLoveSugar

At such a loss!!! I see no way in the world that I am not hypo, yet T3 nor the T3/T4 combo do jack for me!!!

Constipated to the point I bleed everyday
Very fatigued I can't stay awake
Every piece of my body aches and hurts
Depressed
Thin hair
Insomnia
Irritable
Foggy and droggy

Life just sucks!!

Nothing Ray has to offer has done anything for me. Absolutely nothing. Not thyroid, pregnenolone, coffee, aspirin, carrot salad, cascara, vitamins, red light, etc.

Hate my life.

tara

You are sounding very discouraged. I hope you find something that starts to turn things around for you. Not sure if you are just wanting to rant, or whether you are looking for ideas.

Have you read all Ray's articles and listened to his interviews, to know that he has nothing to offer you? If not, then you might get a better overview of what might be going on for you and find some relevant ideas that you can make use of. Many of Peat's ideas and suggestions depend on an individual's context - we're all trying to figure out which parts we can use for our own situations - it's not the same for everyone.

How were you doing before trying this? If you were doing better before, you could consider readopting some of your previous practices.

As I understand it, you seem to be severely undernourished and your digestion is having difficulty eating enough. I don't know which is the chicken and which is the egg. I don't think I've seen you lay out how much of what you eat, but I get the impression that it's not much. It wouldn't surprise me if this is a key factor, if not the main root cause, of many of your issues. I don't know what exactly is going to work for you with this. But things are unlikely to ever get better if you are chronically undereating. Do you want to post your diet? How many calories do you think you eat on average?

Even if you are hypothyroid, I would not expect supplemental thyroid to help if you are not getting enough fuel and other nutrients, and as far as I know that wouldn't be Peat's advice either. It might just cause more stress and depletion.

Hi ILoveSugar, Yes, I feel you might want to think about what Tara is asking. For example, how much cane sugar are you eating? Whatever it is, try gradually increasing it to double, and if that doesn't work, try gradually increasing it to double again. And continue on that way, until you've reached a level where these horrible symptoms go away, simply from the benefits of the cane sugar (and all the other great things you say you are already doing). Your life should never suck as long as you have sugar.

As a second example, you may also want to think about how much milk, farmer's cheese or gelatin you are eating. You may need at least a gram of this kind of (low tryptophan) protein for every kg of your own body weight. It's a job to eat that much protein, but in some ways it may be your most important job. Please don't give up, you are almost there.

OP
I

iLoveSugar

Tried 4 doses today of 12mcg T3 each time and haven't really felt anything.

jyb

Thyroid or any of those supplements are quickly cancelled by the body if you're not nourished. Food is first, you should feel better from food. And then will come the rest, but you need energy from food before or with the supplements.

Blinkyrocket

I read a book by a guy named Jordan Rubin a long time ago, the diet may not be the best, but the way he looked and couldn't sleep and whatnot is a testament to how important the ability to actually digest what you're eating, some peoples guts just don't work that well I guess, he had Crohn's disease, maybe you have something like it.

Bodhi

Sugar,

I see that you are here since 2013? Your name suggest you are a Peatarian...
So i guess u have tried all....

Before i came to Peating i have tried many many traditional alternative therapies with not much results (only detoxing, colonics, gallbladder flushes)

One thing i have learned from Ayurveda is that we are all different and that we alle have different metabolic rates , this is called your Dosha or constitution (from birth) so... I does not surprise me that Peating does not seem to work for everybody...

What about bloodwork, stooltests etc.?

I where you i would look in Ayurveda and wake up your digestion fires... They say in Ayurveda it does not matter much what u put in your body if digestion is not working well...

halken

Here is a post from Ray Peat Fans to inspire you:

"Just thought I'd write a reminder here, half for myself and half for everybody else because I wish someone had spelled this out to me earlier:
Calories are important! They may even be the *most important thing* when it comes to increasing metabolism.
Why? Because if you are only eating 1800 calories a day, then in theory if you divide that number by the number of cells in your body, that is how much energy each cell has to function for the day. Your body's cells will maintain a low metabolic rate until there is abundant energy coming in for them to use. There is no physical way around that. Your cellular metabolism cannot increase without a concurrent increase in calories. A perfect, pro-thyroid, PUFA free diet means nothing if you are not eating enough.
For me, as a 6 foot tall guy, 3000 calories a day minimum was where my extremities really started warming up. I have a suspicion the oft-cited 2000 calories is not enough for most people. Better to eat some starch or chicken or other non-peaty foods to hit a minimum caloric intake than to labor on a perfectly Peat hypo-caloric diet and wonder why your body is still cold."

Here is a great article about the anti-calories dogma:

http://www.brinkzone.com/articles/brink ... nutrition/

A

Anonymous

Hang in there! Stay focused. You will get better! I know it's tough, but you will!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals