I think I'm hypothyroid... What now?

ddjd

I've been taking my temperature several times a day for the last week and I consistently get around 96.6 - 97.0, is this hypothyroid?

On top of this my heart rate is also very slow. Waking it is about 50 bps and middle of the day 60-70.

Will taking an iodine supplement take me out of hypothyroidism?

narouz

Joeyd said:
I've also realised by keeping a food diary that a lot of foods I respond well to are high in iodine - mozzarella cheese, eggs.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the iodine in cheese and eggs.

Your metabolism is very far away from optimal functioning. Try five or ten days eating only dairy and fruit to experience the difference.

4peatssake

Joeyd said:
I've been taking my temperature several times a day for the last week and I consistently get around 96.6 - 97.0, is this hypothyroid?

On top of this my heart rate is also very slow. Waking it is about 50 bps and middle of the day 60-70.

Will taking an iodine supplement take me out of hypothyroidism?
Yes, those temps and heart rate numbers indicate hypothyroidism.
As for iodine, short answer, no. RP does not recommend iodine.

Best thing now is to educate yourself. Read and listen to Ray Peat in his articles and audios.
This is where the rubber meets the road.

First step on this road is to get your diet on track. Supplements, if needed, won't help much if you don't get your diet right first.
Milk, fruit, sugar, eggs, liver, oysters, gelatin are some of the staples of a pro metabolic diet. Diet is the single most important factor.

If you post your diet, people here can help you tweak it so you can start recovering your metabolism.
I can't stress this enough. Your health and well being starts with your diet.

If you have a question, it has probably been answered on the forum and elsewhere many times over, so searching the forum and also using Dan's Ray Peat Search Engine will help a lot.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
ddjd

ddjd

Thanks all. This is my usual diet and unfortunately I'm still in around 96 when I measure temp every morning and night. The below in my opinion is a very peatarian diet but I'm not getting better.

MORNING;
collagen and vit c on empty stomach ( great for my energy levels I find)
I eat mussels and 1/2 boiled eggs for breakfast an hour after collagen

LUNCH;
Prawns, or canned mackerel
Brie / mozzarella / Edam

Snacks/ drinks in day ; oranges, mozzarella, tea with milk and mct oil, dark 85% choc, skimmed milk, fresh smooth OJ

DINNER:
Potato mash with lots of butter, lamb or beef, gelatin gravy,

Supplements I take in day:
Biotin
MSM
Magnesium
Choline CDP
Inositol
Vit a
Vit e
Vit d
Pregnenolone
Vit k

IVE BEEN DOING THIS FOR ABOUT 1 MONTH AND NO CHANGES IN TEMP!

marcar72

I wouldn't worry too much about temp/pulse for awhile to be honest. I'd give more credence to how you feel when starting out. It took awhile for my temp/pulse to come up and from what I've read somewhere in Peatdom that can be normal.

I don't even really check my temp/pulse anymore because they weren't really changing for me too much either when first starting out. I checked my temp a couple times over the last week or two because I've been battling a chronic infection. I had 98.7 and 98.2 on the checks, which consequentially occured in the later part of my day... evening really. Very Peatish numbers there!

Just checked my pulse, it's 66 bpm. That's not very Peatish and I could care less. To be honest I feel my heart is stronger than most other peoples heart in that I have quite a manual labor job. Well I'm always walking at work since I'm a floor tech. Dust mopping floors then running an autoscrubber on them. So I feel that pulse is probably a more contextual number that varies from person to person.

I didn't see oysters on your list there but I did see some daily meat so that should cover your zinc needs. Canned mackerel isn't very Peatish at all. It's one of the most PUFA fatty fishes you can eat. It being in a can also means there's probably BPA in it, a known endocrine disruptor. I try to limit what I eat out of cans because of the BPA they use in the canning process. :2cents

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals