Resources for Ocular Migraines

LucyL

If anybody has any resources on ocular migraines, would you post links? I'm looking for more detail than webmd articles :( . Alternative treatments, therapies, causes, whatever. Since they are a pretty benign condition, it doesn't look like much thought has been given to them, but there has to be something out there! Thanks.

managing

Hearty dose of Fructose can end the ocular as well as any associated pain, for me. Takes about an hour. Perhaps the alternate path fructose takes to the cell makes a difference.

tara

What distinguishes ocular migraines from other migraines?

SQu

Managing, what what alternate path does fructose take? I get a boost from it that I don't get from sucrose. I've been assuming it's a sign of my poor ability to use glucose.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

tara said:

Tara, ocular migraines are visual effects only. Mine begin with a spot of distorted vision, and quickly progress into the stereotypical jagged glittering arc that slowly grows across your field of vision until it vanishes. It doesn't last long, from a few minutes to maybe twenty, and there is (for most people, anyway) no associated pain or nausea or other brain-related migraine symptoms. They are thought to be harmless, and so don't get much attention from the medical community, but with any physical abnormality, it must mean something.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

managing said:
Hearty dose of Fructose can end the ocular as well as any associated pain, for me. Takes about an hour. Perhaps the alternate path fructose takes to the cell makes a difference.

Interesting. I might try a few spoonfuls of honey next time, and see if that shortens the duration. Mine rarely last as long as an hour though.

LucyL said:
tara said:

Tara, ocular migraines are visual effects only. Mine begin with a spot of distorted vision, and quickly progress into the stereotypical jagged glittering arc that slowly grows across your field of vision until it vanishes. It doesn't last long, from a few minutes to maybe twenty, and there is (for most people, anyway) no associated pain or nausea or other brain-related migraine symptoms. They are thought to be harmless, and so don't get much attention from the medical community, but with any physical abnormality, it must mean something.
I think a Peatian perspective might be the osmolar concentration in the eye itself becomes too watery, and so, for example, doesn't retain enough sodium. I think Peat has suggested for his own Dad a hypertonic saline solution (I think hypertonic in a pharmacy typically means 5% NaCl) and a pinch of baking soda, and I've had great luck with it, too. Start with just a little baking soda, and increase gradually because at some point it may start to sting.

OP
LucyL

LucyL

visionofstrength said:
I think a Peatian perspective might be the osmolar concentration in the eye itself becomes too watery, and so, for example, doesn't retain enough sodium. I think Peat has suggested for his own Dad a hypertonic saline solution (I think hypertonic in a pharmacy typically means 5% NaCl) and a pinch of baking soda, and I've had great luck with it, too. Start with just a little baking soda, and increase gradually because at some point it may start to sting.

Is that a topical solution (like an eye wash), or to be taken internally?

That's topical. I think Peat suggested his Dad use a few drops every few hours.

managing

Fructose goes through the liver where it is transformed into glucose, and then enters the bloodstream from there.

SQu

Thanks. You'd think it would be slower to be felt then, not quicker.

tara

LucyL said:
tara said:

Thanks Lucy,
I guess mine are not ocular. I seldom get any visual effects. But I've seen people get them and they seem disconcerting. Wouldn't be much good if you were driving at the time, I guess.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals