Progest E

elainedebeaux

I am a 60 year old women and trying to use Progest E. I started as per dosing sheet. High doses then taper down. It has helped my heart, fluid and sugar levels have gone back to normal, but I am dosing just 3 drops a day after one and half months and I am getting waves of dizziness during the day. I can't take thyroid meds as puts me in bed. Even with HC help. I am using Rehmannia 6 for adrenals as this is a big problem for me. I have heard using vaginally.
Any advice would be of a great help. Thank you

5magicbeans

Re: Progest R

I'm not sure if this will help you but...I have been taking progest e for over a year now and I am almost 50. And I still take at least 1/4 teaspoon each evening. I just experimented until I found what works well for me.
Dosing seems to vary widely in each individual.
:)

tara

I agree that dose seems to vary a lot from person to person. I'm ~50years. For me it is important to make sure I have enough fuel when I take it - i.e never without some food or drink that has carbs in it. If I'm not eating enough I don't get the good effects from it. First time I tried it on an empty stomach I got 'morning sickness' (in the evening).

OP
E

elainedebeaux

Has anybody found also that after dosing for 3 months that insomnia can be a problem and fluid retention in ankles. I have dosed per sheet but have had to stop.Take a break and try what I don't know???????

tara

I think it helps me sleep. If i wake and don't sleep again quickly, I sometimes have a few drops in the night (with tiny snack), and usually go straight back to sleep.
If you stop you will probably soon notice if you feel better or worse for it, and can adjust accordingly.

aguilaroja

elainedebeaux said:
I am a 60 year old women and trying to use Progest E. ...High doses then taper down. It has helped my heart, fluid and sugar levels have gone back to normal, but I am dosing just 3 drops a day after one and half months and I am getting waves of dizziness during the day. I can't take thyroid meds as puts me in bed. Even with HC help. I am using Rehmannia 6 for adrenals as this is a big problem for me. I have heard using vaginally..../quote]

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for the report. It is encouraging to hear that there was substantial relief with the Progest-E use early on.

It is helpful to view Dr. Peat's guidance both in general perspective and individual context. More information about the individual situation helps inform forum discussion, with the usual caveats (YMMV):

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=652

I merely give personal experience, and do not presume to speak for Dr. Peat (though I read him avidly). I am further not an acupuncture/East Asian medicine/TCM practitioner. I respect the Chinese materia medica and know prominent practitioners for a long time. I am plenty busy studying Dr. Peat's material and have not undertaken an exhaustive study of Asian herbalism.

It would help to have further detail about "waves of dizziness"? Is the dizziness like "light-headedness"? Do you need to sit/lie down suddenly? Or do you feel like the room is spinning? Do you lose balance? Has a health care practitioner assessed the difficulty? Does blood pressure or pulse tend to run high or low?

Are there lingering health difficulties? Have you gone through a symptom checklist for hypothyroidism and for estrogen excess?

Does "HC" help during thyroid augmentation refer to hydrocortisone? How does thyroid augmentation put you in bed?

How has it been determined that adrenal function is low? What symptoms or signs are attributed to adrenal function?

Was the Rehmannia 6 prescribed by an herbalist/acupuncturist? If so, what has their guidance been?

As is probably understood, Rehmannia 6 (Liuwei Dihuang Wan) has six ingredients. I have direct experience with some of these herbs years ago, and did not receive noticeable benefits. WADR, I am a bit wary since a wide range of herbs have estrogenic effects. Outside of the Asian medicine paradigm views of interactions, it is difficult to know the combination effects of multiple ingredients. Dioscorea, and at some concentrations Alisma, for instance, have known estrogenic effects. The Rehmannia 6 formula itself does as well.

[Zhang Jiaqing and Zou Dajin, Changes in leukocytic estrogen receptor levels in patients with climacteric syndrome and the therapeutic effects of Liuwei Dihuang Wan, Chinese Journal of Integrated Traditional and Western Medicine, 1995; 1(1): 9-12.]

I have no estimate about how vaginal absorption of any of the Rehmannia 6 ingredients might go.

It could be that supports in addition to progesterone are primary, or that at this time progesterone more than 3 drops would be helpful. As Tara astutely indicated, bio-identical progesterone and other metabolic supports can at times boost nutritional requirements, since metabolism gets more effective. With light-headedness, adequate mineral intake (especially through food) of salt, magnesium, and calcium is helpful. Plentiful protein and fruit are generally helpful.

Is the sleep disturbance primarily difficulty getting to sleep, sleeping through the night, uneasy sleep, difficulty waking up refreshed, or some combination?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
elainedebeaux said:
Has anybody found also that after dosing for 3 months that insomnia can be a problem and fluid retention in ankles. I have dosed per sheet but have had to stop.Take a break and try what I don't know???????
You mentioned in the OP that Progest-e helped with your heart but not knowing exactly what type of heart issue you were having the follow-up post describing fluid retention in your ankles is a bit concerning. Although it is extreme and possibly not relevant to your situation I must in good conscience mention the fact that fluid retention in the ankles can SOMETIMES be a sign of new or worsening heart failure. This is not intended as medical advice (as always or to scare or alarm you) but I think it is something to be aware of incase it applies to you. In the Long Natural Health Progest-e instructions it is advised to wean down/off Progest-e gradually.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals