The Best Sleep Concoction

Velve921

I have an excessive urination issue which I have written about on another post, what is the best sleep concoction that people out there have tried?

Currently I do:

ice cream with gelatin and sea salt w/ t4 and 1 aspirin, 3 drops of progest e, and occassionaly a little pregnenolone.

When I wake up to urinate I swig OJ with salt and a little t4.

I still get up 2-3 times a night to pee...is there any concoction that someone has tried that absolutely just knocks you out with no awakenings? Please let me know. Thanks!

Peata

I just make sure I have a bit of something with carbs in my stomach before bed, and I make sure to keep something on the nightstand in case I wake up and need it. On the nightstand, something like a big bite of soft ripe banana or a spoon of honey, or a little milk or fruit juice, some chocolate chips or ice cream. But the thing that seems to be knocking me out lately and keeping me asleep all night (I usually get up once to go in the early morning) is 400 mg. magnesium glycinate. I take it a couple hours before I intend to sleep.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I really appreciate your input Peata...I have tried all of these concepts that you mentioned and it's still not getting the job done. Especially now as I recently had all the mercury in my mouth removed and since then I am all over the place. So I am looking for something thats more like a healthy sedative that will for sure knock me out cold. Where I don't wake up to urinate and I sleep 8 hours straight.

Thanks again Peata...do you or anyone else have more ideas?

jaywills

Hi Ewlevy1. I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I too have suffereed with Insomnia and it is without doubt one of the worst hypo sym[toms. In my experiences, LESS milk has combated my insomnia. How much liquid are you drinking/ how much milk? After playing about with a Peat inspired diet, and talking to other members, i have found that the 2 litres of milk+ per day/ milk as your only protein source is not good for me the Insomniacs in this forum. There is too much liquid and this causes a stress reaction in the body. Personally, I have tried everything incl ice cream etc. My concoction that has so far seen the end to my insomnia (touch wood)is: No liquids after 6pm. Before bed: liberal serving of salt, like 1-2 teaspoons. sugar is good aswell. You can create a sugar-salt concoction by mixing the two and a tiny drop of water. And most importantly. A handful of OATS. Yes oats. This depends if you tolerate starch of course but i find even if i have a measly 10g of oats, after eating this and returning to bed, i am asleep in 10 minutes. This does not seem to work for other starch sources and i am really unsure on the mechanmism involved. I heard oats were high in tyrophatophan which may be the reasoning. Try an oat and sugar concoction before bed and let me know how you get on. Yes there can be a down sides to Oats, and starch, but lets face it; 10g of oats and a refreshing sleep vs no sleep. What do you think is the most stressful to your body?

juanitacarlos

I think that's good advice from jaywills. I have rice crackers before bed now, and no liquid in the evening is good advice. Something salty at bed is always good.

I personally take about 10g of glycine per day but I can't take it in the evening as keeps me alert, not sleepy. Ice-cream does the same to me - I get really hot and that disturbs my sleep.

Taking Benadryl has definitely helped my sleep the most. But some dry and salty food before bed (or anytime in the evening) helps with excessive urination. Even taking salt at other times during the day helps.

Curt :-)

Agree with the other guys; too much liquid keeps me cold, peeing constantly, and unable to sleep through the night.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ewlevy1 said:
I really appreciate your input Peata...I have tried all of these concepts that you mentioned and it's still not getting the job done. Especially now as I recently had all the mercury in my mouth removed and since then I am all over the place. So I am looking for something thats more like a healthy sedative that will for sure knock me out cold. Where I don't wake up to urinate and I sleep 8 hours straight.

Thanks again Peata...do you or anyone else have more ideas?

Urination at night is a symptom of high adrenalin. Salt lowers adrenalin, and sugar will give you some glycogen. Since your adrenalin is high it means your glycogen stores are depleted.
Try taurine (3g-5g before bed) or niacinamide (2g-3g before bed). Taurine in particular is known to lower adrenalin as well as being a great sedative since it stimulates GABA release.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I will definitely consider the taurine and niacinamide! I hear the Benadryl can cause some kidney and GI issues over time according to my mentor (he's a Peatarian and metabolic blueprint advocate)...any specific taurine niacinamide supplements you recommend? Did you notice some pretty quick effects with both?

I also tried wearing socks and t shirt last night for the first time. Anyone use this method to lower adrenaline?

Thanks everyone!

aquaman

In your other thread you post about consuming around 115 oz of fluids per day.

For me the answer is simple, consume less fluids!

I posted about milk powder pancakes breakfast with cooked fruits - you get high protein, high fructose, low fat, low water, high calories.

Here it is again:

It's 1 cup of skim milk powder, 1-2 eggs, 1/3rd cup milk, few tbsp sugar, blended and cooked like normal pancakes in coconut oil.

It's about 35 frams of protein in a cup of skim milk powder, plus the egg protein.

---

If I drank a gallon of fluids a day I would pee 5 times a night (currently I pee once, sometimes twice if i consume more than 2 quarts of fluid).

OP
Velve921

Velve921

I have tried virtually eliminating my liquids before and it has no effect. I have an issue and that's why I urinate upto 50 times a day.

Ewlevy1 said:
I have tried virtually eliminating my liquids before and it has no effect. I have an issue and that's why I urinate upto 50 times a day.
Small amounts of urine is similar to what happens when the uterus impinges on the bladder in late pregnancy.

Here, perhaps a distended sigmoid colon, or other inflammation from leaky gut, impinging on your bladder? Peat thinks it may sometimes be resolved with an enema of hypertonic saline.

Dayman

Ewlevy1 said:
I will definitely consider the taurine and niacinamide! I hear the Benadryl can cause some kidney and GI issues over time according to my mentor (he's a Peatarian and metabolic blueprint advocate)...any specific taurine niacinamide supplements you recommend? Did you notice some pretty quick effects with both?

I also tried wearing socks and t shirt last night for the first time. Anyone use this method to lower adrenaline?

Thanks everyone!

I at one point had to consistently wear socks in bed because my feet were cold, it worked very well. The one time I tried Benadryl I experienced an immediate adrenalin response which I suspect was due to nasty excipients, unfortunately I couldn't find a good one to try.
You could try adding a few dates or some more sugar in some form on top of your regular routine. (your evening might be a bit low in potassium, so the dates could be good in that regards)

Have you tried saw palmetto? (not sure if it's relevant to your situation)

tara

Ewlevy1 said:

I can't get to sleep if my feet are cold. I usually wear socks to bed. And even with socks, I have to make sure my feet are warm before I get there, or they can't even warm the socks up. I usually warm the bed with electric blanket (switch it off when I get in). I've even been known to get out of bed for a hot foot soak if I can't get to sleep for cold feet. They always warm up during the night once I've got to sleep.

I used to think I got nightmares (seldom) because I got too hot in bed, and slept better in cooler environs (as long as my feet were warm). Now I think I got nightmares when blood sugar dropped too far, followed by adrenaline, which warmed me up. I now sleep with more blankets, eat a lot more sugar, and haven't had a nightmare in ages, though I still often wake up for a snack. If I can eat my snack without sitting up, opening my eyes, or interacting with anyone, I can often get straight back to sleep.

SQu

I'm following this thread with interest. My sleep is terrible and worse peating than ever before. I'm sure I was drinking too much liquids and I'm cutting down on those. I'm raising protein but having it earlier in the day and making sure to have lots of sugar to balance. I must say this is helping my days a lot, that has to be good for my nights somewhere down the line ... but not yet. It could be this change is adding stress. So I'll have to be patient.

Quick feedback on some measures discussed: I agree keeping feet, head warm helps . I tend to get night sweats lately as weather warms up. Kicked off socks recently.
My breathing is terrible at night. Noisy, fast, like panting with my mouth closed. Turns to snoring a lot. Mouth closed though. I know this is important but not getting anywhere on improving it.
I ache. Trying carrot salad before bed to try lower endotoxin. It is good for constipation tendency to do that, but no effect on sleep. Will keep doing this though.
Aspirin used to help, I'd feel a flush of warmth then back to sleep for an hour or two. No longer.
Salt helps a tad. I take a teaspoon.
Gelatin ditto but if I don't take it, sleep is worse. I take lots. usually in a hot drink but going to try set jelly with fruit tonight.
During the day I have many signs of improved blood sugar, but not at night.
I tried the oats and they did make me sleepier. But it's the wakeups and unsatisfying light sleep in between that plague me. I'll keep trying those.
Niacinamide 1g unsurprisingly gave me a horrible night recently. Unsurprising because I had to work up to handling niacinamide, 300g a day, and I blew that out the water with a big dose.
Cypro like most sleep aids will bomb me out for a bit then I wake again. So I no longer take it at bedtime. I take small doses 1mg during the day.
In the night I sip evaporated milk with fructose. And mag bicarb water. Maybe some of those things will work for some people. Also red light at bedtime. Plenty of light during the day.

sueq said:
I'm following this thread with interest. My sleep is terrible and worse peating than ever before. ... My breathing is terrible at night. Noisy, fast, like panting with my mouth closed. Turns to snoring a lot. Mouth closed though. I know this is important but not getting anywhere on improving it.
I think we can pretty much stop here. We know what your overarching issue is. If your breathing is bad, you lack carbonates. All of Peat's methods that you are already trying can be seen fundamentally as ways to increase carbonates, because Peat and a century of scientific tradition believes that carbonates are the master hormone in the body.

The good news is, there is one immediate thing you can do to increase carbonates, which you haven't tried yet, and it's perhaps the only reliable and safe thing -- and that is to breathe carbonates.

I've started a thread here, to talk about safe and practical ways to supplement carbonates. I very much hope you'll participate?!

north

I tried the 2g niacinamide, fell asleep pretty fast and slept pretty good.

OP
Velve921

Velve921

Visionofstrength,

Where did you hear Peat talk about excessive urination and enemas?