Hair Loss on Thyroid Meds

OP
K

Katty

ilovethesea said:
As per your other thread, wouldn't the simplest explanation just be that it's because you switched brands of thyroid and now you're on a less potent dose - therefore going more hypo? You really cannot trust what is on the label, I've learned that the hard way - 60mg (one grain) is not the same from brand to brand. A weaker dose now would explain the hair shedding and you said your TSH has risen as well. Will your doctor let you try a higher dose to see if TSH drops and symptoms resolve?
Yes, that seems to be the case. I did feel warm-ish for several weeks though, and even better for short periods of time (like 30 mins) on the new synthetics, but it didn't last. And now I've had some cold fingers for a couple days. Not bad, but worse than before. My calories went down a bit so I also wonder if that's par tot the problem. Hard to say if it's all the meds' fault.
But yes, Dr wanted me on a higher dose of T4 anyway, so I'm trying that for now.

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

ilovethesea

Oh - are you just taking T4 now? I thought you meant you had switched NDT brands, but were still on a combo med. I would be very wary of T4 alone... especially females as with our higher estrogen we have more trouble converting T4 to T3.

OP
K

Katty

ilovethesea said:
Oh - are you just taking T4 now? I thought you meant you had switched NDT brands, but were still on a combo med. I would be very wary of T4 alone... especially females as with our higher estrogen we have more trouble converting T4 to T3.
No, I'm on T4 and T3. I tried the Ray Peat 4:1 ratio... couldn't get it to quite work. So I'm going with Dr's ratio for now. But I take both.

OP
K

Katty

ilovethesea said:
Why didn't it work?
I think you saw my other post (about tsp going up in my new labs), which explains why it didn't work. Just didn't feel great on the 1:4 T3:T4 dose. And labs showed T4 is still low.

mgrabs

IIRC, synthetic T4 is activated by stomach acid, while the T4 in NDT is "ready to go." So if you have any issues with low stomach acid or digestion, perhaps you are getting less T4 from the synthetic then you did from the NDT. Do you take it with food?
Is this true or is this about synthetic being quickly absorbed?