Hair Loss on Thyroid Meds

Katty

I switched from Nature-throid(1.25 grains which was about 44mcg of T4/11mcg of T3) to T4/T3 about 8 weeks ago. I initially was on 56mcg of T4 and 12.5mcg of T3. Now I've been on about 37-40mcg of T4 and 10mcg of T3 for several weeks.
I'm experiencing more hair shedding than usual. I think there were previous posts on the forums saying that dropping T4 too low could cause more hair shedding. I'm not sure why my hair would shed more on generic T4 than when on Nature-throid when I'm taking essentially the same amount.
Also, when I was on 56mcg of T4 I started experiencing bad depression symptoms that I didn't have on the nature-throid (44mcg).
So I feel better on the lower dose of T4 (no depression) but my hair seems to be shedding more.

Any thoughts?

Katty said:
I'm not sure why my hair would shed more on generic T4 than when on Nature-throid when I'm taking essentially the same amount. ... Any thoughts?
I think Peat is reluctant to recommend any thyroid formulation because of his concerns about purity and consistency. That said, I think he's mentioned Armour and Thyroid-S for thyroid extract, and Cnyomel and Cynoplus for t3, t4/t3 combos. I think he also favors underdosing to be safe, and to be sure you are never overdosing.

It's also fair to say that Peat believes the most important thing to do for safety when taking thyroid, and to avoid overdosing, is to have a plentiful and nearly constant supply of sugar, especially in a factor of 2:1 or more relative to protein. Can you please share a cronometer of what you eat? PM me if you prefer?

Shrimp

IIRC, synthetic T4 is activated by stomach acid, while the T4 in NDT is "ready to go." So if you have any issues with low stomach acid or digestion, perhaps you are getting less T4 from the synthetic then you did from the NDT. Do you take it with food?

Mittir

Shrimp said:
IIRC, synthetic T4 is activated by stomach acid, while the T4 in NDT is "ready to go." So if you have any issues with low stomach acid or digestion, perhaps you are getting less T4 from the synthetic then you did from the NDT. Do you take it with food?

I think it is the other way around. RP explained in an interview how T4 and T3 are bound to
protein in dessicated form and hormones are released during digestion. Protein digestion
requires stomach acid.

Here is an interesting study from 1977 . It is hard to understand the whole point without
full text but it seems like they are saying T4 and T3 content in Armour and Proloid
were different than measured before. Just from my experience i can tell different brands
of thyroid medication with same amount of hormone listed do not have same amount.

etabolism. 1977 Nov;26(11):1213-8.
Triiodothyronine and thyroxine content of desiccated thyroid tablets.
Rees-Jones RW, Larsen PR.
Abstract
Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) were measured by radioimmunoassay in Pronase hydrolysates of four lots each of 1- and 2-grain tablets of desiccated thyroid (Thyroid, Armour) and thyroglobulin (Proloid, Warner-Chilcott). The methodology used was verified by studies of tablets containing known quantities of T4 and T3. One grain of desiccated thyroid contained 12 +/- 1 and 64 +/- 3 microgram (mean +/- SD) of T3 and T4 per tablet, respectively (T4/T3 molar ratio, 4.3). A 1-grain tablet of thyroglobulin contained 16 +/- 2 and 55 +/- 5 microgram of T3 and T4, respectively with a T4/T3 ratio of 2.9. Two-grain tablets generally contained twice the quantity of T3 and T4 in the 1-grain preparations. The variation in T3 and T4 content between the four lots of each tablet strength for each product was 10% or less. These estimates of T3 and T4 content are 1.5- to 2-fold greater than those previously published. This difference probably results from the more sophisticated methodology now available which does not require chromatographic separation of T3 and T4 or iodometry. Using calculations based on published estimates of T4 and T3 absorption and of the T3/T4 potency ratio, it would appear that the T3 content of desiccated thyroid and thyroglobulin provide approximately 39% and 51%, respectively, of the thyromimetic activity of these two medications. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/909397

OP
K

Katty

Mittir said:
Shrimp said:

I think it is the other way around. RP explained in an interview how T4 and T3 are bound to
protein in dessicated form and hormones are released during digestion. Protein digestion
requires stomach acid.

Here is an interesting study from 1977 . It is hard to understand the whole point without
full text but it seems like they are saying T4 and T3 content in Armour and Proloid
were different than measured before. Just from my experience i can tell different brands
of thyroid medication with same amount of hormone listed do not have same amount.

etabolism. 1977 Nov;26(11):1213-8.
Triiodothyronine and thyroxine content of desiccated thyroid tablets.
Rees-Jones RW, Larsen PR.
Abstract
Triiodothyronine (T3) and thyroxine (T4) were measured by radioimmunoassay in Pronase hydrolysates of four lots each of 1- and 2-grain tablets of desiccated thyroid (Thyroid, Armour) and thyroglobulin (Proloid, Warner-Chilcott). The methodology used was verified by studies of tablets containing known quantities of T4 and T3. One grain of desiccated thyroid contained 12 +/- 1 and 64 +/- 3 microgram (mean +/- SD) of T3 and T4 per tablet, respectively (T4/T3 molar ratio, 4.3). A 1-grain tablet of thyroglobulin contained 16 +/- 2 and 55 +/- 5 microgram of T3 and T4, respectively with a T4/T3 ratio of 2.9. Two-grain tablets generally contained twice the quantity of T3 and T4 in the 1-grain preparations. The variation in T3 and T4 content between the four lots of each tablet strength for each product was 10% or less. These estimates of T3 and T4 content are 1.5- to 2-fold greater than those previously published. This difference probably results from the more sophisticated methodology now available which does not require chromatographic separation of T3 and T4 or iodometry. Using calculations based on published estimates of T4 and T3 absorption and of the T3/T4 potency ratio, it would appear that the T3 content of desiccated thyroid and thyroglobulin provide approximately 39% and 51%, respectively, of the thyromimetic activity of these two medications. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/909397

Ok, so if I'm reading that correctly (brain fog is setting in, perhaps I have it backwards), the NDT has more T4 than what is listed. Hmm, interesting. Still confuses me then why I was feeling depressed on 56mcg and even on 46mcg of generic T4. But now that I'm down to 37.5mcg I don't feel depressed- just the hair loss. If the NDT T4 was 44mcg, and it was possibly double that, like 88mcg, why wasn't I depressed then?

I was trying to take T4 on empty stomach. Now sometimes I take it with food. Always at night. Was taking it right before bed, now I take it a couple hours earlier with my last T3 dose (so I can take some activated charcoal before bed... but the AC I just started last night, so that wouldn't be a factor in the depression/absorption/hair loss of the T4 until yesterday).

OP
K

Katty

visionofstrength said:
Katty said:
I'm not sure why my hair would shed more on generic T4 than when on Nature-throid when I'm taking essentially the same amount. ... Any thoughts?
I think Peat is reluctant to recommend any thyroid formulation because of his concerns about purity and consistency. That said, I think he's mentioned Armour and Thyroid-S for thyroid extract, and Cnyomel and Cynoplus for t3, t4/t3 combos. I think he also favors underdosing to be safe, and to be sure you are never overdosing.

It's also fair to say that Peat believes the most important thing to do for safety when taking thyroid, and to avoid overdosing, is to have a plentiful and nearly constant supply of sugar, especially in a factor of 2:1 or more relative to protein. Can you please share a cronometer of what you eat? PM me if you prefer?

Hey VoS... I am definitely eating some things not entirely Ray Peat approved-- so I already know I need to cut those things out. I've mentioned in another post that I'm having trouble tolerating dairy and gelatin and eggs, so to get enough calories, I "stray." I can tell you my daily cronometer ratios if that is helpful. I try to get 1850 calories or so (I'm only 5'1, female) and my carbs are about 50-55%, protein and fat both around 20-25%. I really struggle to get in enough protein-- I aim for 100g, which I get some days, but it's usually closer to 85-95%.

Mittir

That study is from 1977 and it is possible that NDT makers have corrected their
measurement. My point is that numbers in synthetic thyroid hormones may
not be same as number in dessicated thyroid.
Certain foods like calcium can block absorption of T4.
It is very important to have a constant variable around T4 dosing.
Calcium and other foods can block T4 absorption. I think RP has mentioned
cellulose binding thyroid hormone. Since it takes weeks for T4 to reach saturation,
change in T4 schedule can accumulate over time. I think blood test of TSH
can be quite helpful in T4 dosing. You can track temperature and
pulse to get an idea about the status of thyroid function. RP has mentioned that
some time it can take a year to adjust dose.

OP
K

Katty

Mittir said:
That study is from 1977 and it is possible that NDT makers have corrected their
measurement. My point is that numbers in synthetic thyroid hormones may
not be same as number in dessicated thyroid.
Certain foods like calcium can block absorption of T4.
It is very important to have a constant variable around T4 dosing.
Calcium and other foods can block T4 absorption. I think RP has mentioned
cellulose binding thyroid hormone. Since it takes weeks for T4 to reach saturation,
change in T4 schedule can accumulate over time. I think blood test of TSH
can be quite helpful in T4 dosing. You can track temperature and
pulse to get an idea about the status of thyroid function. RP has mentioned that
some time it can take a year to adjust dose.
Gotcha, Thanks Mittir. I try not to take my egg shell calcium within 3-4 hours of the T4. I just had a blood test, waiting for results. Perhaps that will lend a clue.

Katty said:
visionofstrength said:
Katty said:

Hey VoS... I am definitely eating some things not entirely Ray Peat approved-- so I already know I need to cut those things out. I've mentioned in another post that I'm having trouble tolerating dairy and gelatin and eggs, so to get enough calories, I "stray." I can tell you my daily cronometer ratios if that is helpful. I try to get 1850 calories or so (I'm only 5'1, female) and my carbs are about 50-55%, protein and fat both around 20-25%. I really struggle to get in enough protein-- I aim for 100g, which I get some days, but it's usually closer to 85-95%.
I guess I think of t4/t3 like pushing on the gas pedal of the car. If the engine doesn't have enough oil, you're only going to make things worse.

If you're losing hair, first of all, I feel for you. I know it's scary. May I gently suggest that your symptoms including hairloss may be signs of great stress on your liver?

If your liver is not adequate to provide more power to your metabolic engine, then "pushing on the gas pedal" of t3/t4 may increase the stress on your brain and heart, which in turn can pull energy from places like your hair.

Ideas? I see you are trying AC, maybe try more? (Peat suggests that even a cup a day, intermittently, can be safe.) And coconut oil is a great surrogate for thyroid, but has no risk of overdosing. Along this line, here are a few Peatisms posted in the "digestive" thread:

visionofstrength said:
In think [Peat's] theory is that things like medicinal charcoal and coconut/MCT oil can reduce or even eliminate stress on the liver. If Peat's right, then charcoal and coconut oil, together in sufficient dosages, should reduce all these symptoms that are bothering you.

The happy coincidence is that the two are perfect partners in their effects on peristalsis; charcoal slows it down (possibly too much depending on dosage, right J and P?), while coconut/MCT oil speeds it up (but maybe too much depending on dosage, right bigp?).

If sufficiently large dosages of each counterbalance each other, and reduce or eliminate all the symptoms of liver stress, then wouldn't life be wonderful?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Katty said:
visionofstrength said:
Katty said:

I am only 5'1.5" and feel much improved after increasing my calories. I think I was greatly underestimating my need for fuel because I'm "petite". That has been the most difficult part of my healing to figure out honestly. I'm not sure if my experience applies to your situation but since you mentioned your height I thought I'd let you know that in my case keeping calories in the 1800 range just wasn't enough. I'm middle-aged as well so it surprised me how many calories I really need. I probably spent months in a holding pattern that could have been avoided if I hadn't believed the mainstream dogma about how many calories a person my age, sex and height should be consuming. I don't know if that helps any but thought I'd chime in from one short stature person to another!

OP
K

Katty

visionofstrength said:
If you're losing hair, first of all, I feel for you. I know it's scary. May I gently suggest that your symptoms including hairloss may be signs of great stress on your liver?

If your liver is not adequate to provide more power to your metabolic engine, then "pushing on the gas pedal" of t3/t4 may increase the stress on your brain and heart, which in turn can pull energy from places like your hair.

Ideas? I see you are trying AC, maybe try more? (Peat suggests that even a cup a day, intermittently, can be safe.) And coconut oil is a great surrogate for thyroid, but has no risk of overdosing. Along this line, here are a few Peatisms posted in the "digestive" thread:

visionofstrength said:
In think [Peat's] theory is that things like medicinal charcoal and coconut/MCT oil can reduce or even eliminate stress on the liver. If Peat's right, then charcoal and coconut oil, together in sufficient dosages, should reduce all these symptoms that are bothering you.

The happy coincidence is that the two are perfect partners in their effects on peristalsis; charcoal slows it down (possibly too much depending on dosage, right J and P?), while coconut/MCT oil speeds it up (but maybe too much depending on dosage, right bigp?).

If sufficiently large dosages of each counterbalance each other, and reduce or eliminate all the symptoms of liver stress, then wouldn't life be wonderful?

Thanks for this! I was just catching up on the digestion/AC thread. So I took 1/2 tbsp of AC powder in some water 2 nights in a row. Cause constipation (not total, but more than usual) for a couple days, and even after my stools lightened up in color, I'm still having really bad low belly digestive distress (slow and sticky inside, if that makes any sense). Hard to say if the AC is entirely to blame- it's right around ovulation for me, and I also had a new brand of milk those 1st days. But my stomach hasn't been this bad in a long time. I think I need to give it a few days rest to let my low belly settle a bit, then maybe try it again.

OP
K

Katty

Blossom said:
Katty said:
[
I am only 5'1.5" and feel much improved after increasing my calories. I think I was greatly underestimating my need for fuel because I'm "petite". That has been the most difficult part of my healing to figure out honestly. I'm not sure if my experience applies to your situation but since you mentioned your height I thought I'd let you know that in my case keeping calories in the 1800 range just wasn't enough. I'm middle-aged as well so it surprised me how many calories I really need. I probably spent months in a holding pattern that could have been avoided if I hadn't believed the mainstream dogma about how many calories a person my age, sex and height should be consuming. I don't know if that helps any but thought I'd chime in from one short stature person to another!

Thanks Blossom! It's nice to hear from someone around the same size that you're able to eat a lot more. It just makes me nervous.. the weight gain is making me more stressed... and while I'm trying to be chill about it, it's hard... and the psychological stress over the weight gain probably is not good for my health either.
I did a Matt Stone style re-feed this last fall/winter. I did feel better when I got up to about 2300. Problem is that I can only get in about 1400-1500 calories in Peat friendly food. The rest of the calories I have to make up with starch, etc. This is because I have a hard time with dairy, gelatin, and eggs. I also have a hard time eating more than 100g of protein per day- even 100 is hard, 80 is much more doable for me. So when my calories get up to 2300, my carb ratio goes really high, like 70% or more of my calories. I think that could be part of the reason I put on even more weight over the winter--- also, when carb ratio goes that high, I end up waking up in the middle of the night with the adrenaline (cortisol?) surge. I can't figure out how to fix this issue and get myself to eat more food and protein.

Katty said:
visionofstrength said:

visionofstrength said:

Thanks for this! I was just catching up on the digestion/AC thread. So I took 1/2 tbsp of AC powder in some water 2 nights in a row. Cause constipation (not total, but more than usual) for a couple days, and even after my stools lightened up in color, I'm still having really bad low belly digestive distress (slow and sticky inside, if that makes any sense). Hard to say if the AC is entirely to blame- it's right around ovulation for me, and I also had a new brand of milk those 1st days. But my stomach hasn't been this bad in a long time. I think I need to give it a few days rest to let my low belly settle a bit, then maybe try it again.
Let's see how the trial goes. It seems like it's the best option we have for gut and liver distress, and it may even be the only option, since Peat's other suggestions (carrot, bamboo shoots, gelatin) are not working reliably for severe stress like yours and many others.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Katty said:
Blossom said:
Katty said:
[

Thanks Blossom! It's nice to hear from someone around the same size that you're able to eat a lot more. It just makes me nervous.. the weight gain is making me more stressed... and while I'm trying to be chill about it, it's hard... and the psychological stress over the weight gain probably is not good for my health either.
I did a Matt Stone style re-feed this last fall/winter. I did feel better when I got up to about 2300. Problem is that I can only get in about 1400-1500 calories in Peat friendly food. The rest of the calories I have to make up with starch, etc. This is because I have a hard time with dairy, gelatin, and eggs. I also have a hard time eating more than 100g of protein per day- even 100 is hard, 80 is much more doable for me. So when my calories get up to 2300, my carb ratio goes really high, like 70% or more of my calories. I think that could be part of the reason I put on even more weight over the winter--- also, when carb ratio goes that high, I end up waking up in the middle of the night with the adrenaline (cortisol?) surge. I can't figure out how to fix this issue and get myself to eat more food and protein.
That's so interesting! I think I'm probably able to get the calories easier with Peat friendly foods because I my diet is basically centered around dairy and fruit and I have gelatin and eggs most days. I can see where it would be hard to get adequate calories and protein if you couldn't tolerate those foods! I have to say that in my experience my metabolism is at its best when I make sure I get enough calories. I usually have between 80-100 grams of protein daily like you mentioned and it seems sufficient to me. My weight has stabilized at a point that feels very healthy for me. I no longer lose or gain weight. I'm thinking I'm at my set point now. It's funny that I used to have this fear of endless gaining but once I let that go of that notion and quit stressing over it everything worked out beautifully. Are you able to eat cheese? I'm sorry if you have mentioned it before and I don't remember. Cheese really helped me in the beginning when I was still trying to get accustomed to drinking milk. I drink milk fine now but still find eating cheese an easy way to get calories. Cheese is typically very low to no lactose. Chocolate can add a decent amount of calories too (although no protein). I also enjoy having shrimp, white fish, scallops, beef and even skinless chicken breast each week as great sources of protein. I'll stop rambling since I'm sure you are aware of all this information! Best of luck to you in your healing :D

Peata

Katty I totally relate. I won't go off in your thread with all my weight gain issues as I've done elsewhere, but I'll be watching this to see what helpful advice you get.

Katty said:
visionofstrength said:

visionofstrength said:

Hi Katty, just wanted to alert you that some posts made in this forum several years ago might help you. They are summarized here

OP
K

Katty

Blossom said:
That's so interesting! I think I'm probably able to get the calories easier with Peat friendly foods because I my diet is basically centered around dairy and fruit and I have gelatin and eggs most days. I can see where it would be hard to get adequate calories and protein if you couldn't tolerate those foods! I have to say that in my experience my metabolism is at its best when I make sure I get enough calories. I usually have between 80-100 grams of protein daily like you mentioned and it seems sufficient to me. My weight has stabilized at a point that feels very healthy for me. I no longer lose or gain weight. I'm thinking I'm at my set point now. It's funny that I used to have this fear of endless gaining but once I let that go of that notion and quit stressing over it everything worked out beautifully. Are you able to eat cheese? I'm sorry if you have mentioned it before and I don't remember. Cheese really helped me in the beginning when I was still trying to get accustomed to drinking milk. I drink milk fine now but still find eating cheese an easy way to get calories. Cheese is typically very low to no lactose. Chocolate can add a decent amount of calories too (although no protein). I also enjoy having shrimp, white fish, scallops, beef and even skinless chicken breast each week as great sources of protein. I'll stop rambling since I'm sure you are aware of all this information! Best of luck to you in your healing :D

Thanks Blossom! I do eat some hard cheese and some strained yogurt. I'm still breaking out some, but not as bad as with milk. With yogurt, I can only do about 3/4 cup per day, and then my body just won't take anymore. I can do a bit of hard cheese, but it's so high in fat it throws off ratios. I do a TON of white fish, hard to choke it down anymore, but I do. I do the other proteins you mentioned as well, but I just don't love flesh (which is why I was starving on a paleo diet)... I prepare it and try to eat it, but I can't force enough down to meet the protein needs. It's interesting that I was never a vegetarian because I'm not a huge fan of meat. My recent blood test showed I was low in zinc-- I wonder if that's responsible for my low appetite for meat.

OP
K

Katty

visionofstrength said:
Hi Katty, just wanted to alert you that some posts made in this forum several years ago might help you. They are summarized here
Thanks for the heads up! I've been checking out that other thread as well. Seriously not sure what's going on with my digestion the last few days.

ilovethesea

Katty said:
I switched from Nature-throid(1.25 grains which was about 44mcg of T4/11mcg of T3) to T4/T3 about 8 weeks ago. I initially was on 56mcg of T4 and 12.5mcg of T3. Now I've been on about 37-40mcg of T4 and 10mcg of T3 for several weeks.
I'm experiencing more hair shedding than usual. I think there were previous posts on the forums saying that dropping T4 too low could cause more hair shedding. I'm not sure why my hair would shed more on generic T4 than when on Nature-throid when I'm taking essentially the same amount.
Also, when I was on 56mcg of T4 I started experiencing bad depression symptoms that I didn't have on the nature-throid (44mcg).
So I feel better on the lower dose of T4 (no depression) but my hair seems to be shedding more.

Any thoughts?

As per your other thread, wouldn't the simplest explanation just be that it's because you switched brands of thyroid and now you're on a less potent dose - therefore going more hypo? You really cannot trust what is on the label, I've learned that the hard way - 60mg (one grain) is not the same from brand to brand. A weaker dose now would explain the hair shedding and you said your TSH has risen as well. Will your doctor let you try a higher dose to see if TSH drops and symptoms resolve?