Felt like i was going to die.

PeaterPan

So i've been eating sucrose for a week more or less, a lot, not much ill effects ultil....i ate gummy bears today(no fructose, only glucose) and, BUM, my temperature rose "A LOT", my pulse rate 105 bpm and when i was partiicularly anxious even 150 bpm, i felt like dying, i went to the hospital,couldn't breathe, i was sure i was going to die, or go into a coma or have a seizure, they did analyses and turns out i wasn't dying even though i had all the seizure symptoms,my heart was normal, but i was having a panick attack (maybe someone can die from a panic attack,dunno), they gave me 2 sedatives which didn't work, made me breathe inside a thing for CO2 which didn't work or at least it worked for 20 minutes but then stopped. I went home i tried to take a magnesium pill which didn't work, then i ate a banana thinking it was potassium, didn't work and got worse,then i thought it was water didn't work and got worse, then finally i ate salt, god bless salt it saved me, i'll eat some more salt and go to sleep, now i feel like laughting, the scary thing is that i wasn't craving anything so the body isn't that smart to signal what you need, jesus christ.
And i became a furnace too.

Farewell if i don't wake up tomorrow, hope it will be a painless death at least.

What an experience.... You sure live life fully on sugar.

Gl;itch.e

Thats a strange reaction. Maybe it was some form of up-regulated mitochondrial uncoupling? What did you eat prior to starting with extra sucrose and then the gummy bears?

Maybe the TSH is lowering or you are still a little insulin resistant.

OP
P

PeaterPan

Okay i feel like dying again, salt not helping, i restricted fat. Intermittently.

Shrimp

Are you taking any thyroid medication? Your reaction sounds very similar to what I experienced with hyperthyroidism.

kookaburra

I just experienced the very same thing and, thankfully, I didn't die. At first I was working on raising my body temps with aspirin, niacinamide and caffeine. It worked, I felt great, but I did get the "hard heartbeat" which sort of freaked me out so I stopped the niacinamide. Then I went on cynomel for a few weeks, just 1/6th tablet three times a day. Also worked, felt great. I was doing an all peat diet, lots of milk, oj, gummies, a bit of beef, ice cream, all good. Regularly supplementing with 4000 IU vitamin D, 500 mcg MK4, coQ10, 1mg B12, 400mg magnesium glycinate and 3g glycine at night.

Then, this weekend, I started drinking lots of mexican coke and wham!

On saturday I was at the bank when I suddenly couldn't breath, couldn't concentrate, raised pulse, disorientation, pure panic. I thought I was going to die. My girlfriend, who has her learner's permit, had to drive me to the hospital. They took blood and gave me ativan, which calmed me down a bit and I was able to go home. Sunday I was totally wiped out, slept for a long time, watched movies and tried to relax.

Monday morning I woke up after three hours sleep and the symptoms came back. We went back to the hospital where they ran an ECG (fine), more bloodwork and (I hate myself for agreeing to this...) a brain CT scan. Uggghh :oops: . I never wanted to get a CT scan. Makes me sick just thinking about it... It's good to know I don't have a blood clot or a brain tumor but still... dang. 8 months of radiation in three minutes... Doctor's best guess at this point is simple seizures, which sounds about right. We'll see what the bloodwork says about things like TSH or free T3 when I get the results back.

I still feel crummy, btw, but I'm finding it comes and goes in waves. Doesn't seem to matter what I eat.

I think these crashes are similar to what Shrimp describes at the beginning of her peatlog. Narouz (who always has great insights) talks about a possible "T3 receptor clearing" causing the body to go temporarily hyperthyroid. Shrimp was on thyroid meds for a long time before her sudden crash.. I only dabbled in them for a few weeks but still, that's the common factor between her experience and mine. Were you on thyroid? If not then the common factor between you and I would be increased glucose and the "clearing" we're experiencing may have something to do with the liver???? Best guess.

Anyway, I share your pain and I'm glad we didn't die. Thanks for posting. I was about to do the same thing when I saw this thread and thought I would jump in. I think it's very important that we all get a sense of what's going on here.

OP
P

PeaterPan

Okay, i had to call an ambulance yesterday, they treated me like a freak and i almost was like a freak,blood analysis was more than fine,gave me a horse dose sedative and i went to sleep, i think that i was able to induce hyperthyroidism with all that sugar, now i can't breathe because my body is too efficient in using that damn oxigen and i would get a panic attack if i breathed too much, now i'm very hungry and i'm training to avoid sugar to slow down my metabolism by eating meat, wustels etc and later i'll visit a psychiatrist and get analysis done.

I'll try to not get me prescrived anything powerful.

I wasn't on thyroid, sugar stimulated my thyroid, un sugar i was fine, but then i ate gummy bears which has only glucose without fructose and BAM.

Hypothyroidism = being bad and don't feeling it
hyperthyroidism = being good but feeling bad.

Jesus.

I tried to eat some bacon but i get nausea.

Bejva

Ive also had the same feeling. Maybe its possible that some of us (maybe younger population?) can raise the BMR to high with peats advice. Im very lean and 25 years old. I have experienced that feeling several times and it is making it hard to fall asleep at night. I noticed it happen more likely when im eating very low fat and high carb/high protein.

I was once in the hospital aswell when i got this feeling. Nothing wrong with the heart etc. When i asked about the thyroid blood test my doctor said: "They where good, extremely good". I didnt get the numbers but my feeling was that she was surprised about that or something.

Also, when i get this feeling. My hunger i very low, feels like i can go all day without eating.

Guys, if you had a TSH of fifteen and you remove PUFA and add sugar, you WILL have attacks like that. Don't go and get panic disorder diagnoses for nothing.

OP
P

PeaterPan

Bejva said:
Ive also had the same feeling. Maybe its possible that some of us (maybe younger population?) can raise the BMR to high with peats advice. Im very lean and 25 years old. I have experienced that feeling several times and it is making it hard to fall asleep at night. I noticed it happen more likely when im eating very low fat and high carb/high protein.

I was once in the hospital aswell when i got this feeling. Nothing wrong with the heart etc. When i asked about the thyroid blood test my doctor said: "They where good, extremely good". I didnt get the numbers but my feeling was that she was surprised about that or something.

Also, when i get this feeling. My hunger i very low, feels like i can go all day without eating.

This is me. Today i stopped my panic attacks by eating cholesterol, but then when i ate cholesterol i felt extremely weak and tired and went to sleep.

Then when i woke up i ate a fruit and felt better, pulse and pressure normal, then i ate a little milk cream and BAM, again extremely tired.

kookaburra

Bejva said:

Yeah, I second that. I'm also not feeling very hungry. I'd like to think that our BMR is high, but I'm skeptical. There's evidence in both directions. For the first few days my body temp was pretty variable, but generally much higher than normal, around 36.8 but my girlfriend said my hands felt cold. I also felt like crap so I think maybe my metabolism crashed and my adrenals shot up and elevated my temps. I find the symptoms get worse after I eat anything and I'm burping a lot, which also suggests low BMR/ slow digestion.

Like Bejva, I'm also young, 31 and fairly lean. Not sure what my TSH is. I can say that the doctor said my glucose levels were good. So I don't know if that rules out insulin resistance for me? Maybe not and we're all among the people who need to "train our bodies to deal with glucose."

Such, have you experienced this too?

Oh and a fun observation. The mental state I'm in reminds me a lot of how I felt ten years ago during peroxetine withdrawl. Wonder what peat would say about that...

Bejva

This is really interesting. If i take 2-3g of glycine it totally terminates the feeling, also a higher fat intake makes me feeling cooler.

Is it possible that we are pushing our bodies to burn carbs to much? My feeling is that the body is defending itself from to many calories or something, maybe thats why hunger is depressed. I can literally sit around half a day feeling hot and not eat when this happens. Hunger often comes along with cold hands/feet for some reason, or maybe that is because stress hormones are lowering. Im confused about this.

One of my observations is that this feeling often comes with post-exercise (weightlifting) meal, especially if its low fat, high carb and low liquid.

Bejva

I believe insulin resistance is unlikely since we are young and lean.

kookaburra

Bejva said:
This is really interesting. If i take 2-3g of glycine it totally terminates the feeling, also a higher fat intake makes me feeling cooler.

Is it possible that we are pushing our bodies to burn carbs to much? My feeling is that the body is defending itself from to many calories or something, maybe thats why hunger is depressed. I can literally sit around half a day feeling hot and not eat when this happens. Hunger often comes along with cold hands/feet for some reason, or maybe that is because stress hormones are lowering. Im confused about this.

One of my observations is that this feeling often comes with post-exercise (weightlifting) meal, especially if its low fat, high carb and low liquid.

Really? That is interesting. Ok, I have glycine, maybe I'll try that too.

I think Peat says the cold hands and feet are from high stress hormones. Adrenaline goes up and your body defensively redirects heat to your brain. Or something like that... I also suspect serotonin is implicated here somewhere, which may explain why the glycine helps. I think we definitely pushed our bodies to burn carbs too much :lol: today I'm feeling a bit better. Sticking to whole milk and cheese, just taking tiny sips of oj every once in a while.

Yes I got that for a week (not this bad though) and enjoyed it enough. For years I had that hard beat in my chest after meals so the gland can shine through the garbage every now and then. Anyway you will wish you were that warm for around six months after this. Try gelatin and sun and take enough salt but dissolve it well before you drink it!

<<Apparently the metabolic surges that happened at first were an indication that my body was compensating for an anti-thyroid substance by producing more thyroid hormone; when the coconut oil relieved the inhibition, I experienced a moment of slight hyperthyroidism, but after a time the inhibitor became less effective, and my body adjusted by producing slightly less thyroid hormone.>> - Ray Peat

OP
P

PeaterPan

Okay here i am again, i ate a little crackers and some mushrooms and i feel a lot better, so what can i say, either sugar is too excitatory for my brain or the bacteria in my stomach were starving and started attacking my body, i felt crazy,
the thing is that my body was really healing, my skin had such a beautiful colour, teeth firm like a rock and remineralizing, and some other minor things, but i am/was paying the price really high, literally going crazy and alterning extreme fear of death and periods of exaustions, i'm resumin eating starch to feed my little babies and i'm feeling better.

And honestly i took this decision by seeing a ray peat video, i don't want to say bad things about him but when he does his lectures, yes he sounds smart and healthy, but looks like he's panicking all the time and can't speak calmly.

kookaburra

Such_Saturation said:
Yes I got that for a week (not this bad though) and enjoyed it enough. For years I had that hard beat in my chest after meals so the gland can shine through the garbage every now and then. Anyway you will wish you were that warm for around six months after this. Try gelatin and sun and take enough salt but dissolve it well before you drink it!

<<Apparently the metabolic surges that happened at first were an indication that my body was compensating for an anti-thyroid substance by producing more thyroid hormone; when the coconut oil relieved the inhibition, I experienced a moment of slight hyperthyroidism, but after a time the inhibitor became less effective, and my body adjusted by producing slightly less thyroid hormone.>> - Ray Peat

Bingo! I thought I had read that somewhere. Something to do with RT3 maybe?

Sun helps a lot actually. I'm noticing that the symptoms get worse as I traverse from one temperature zone to the next. E.g. outoors -> indoors -> air conditioning and back again.

OP
P

PeaterPan

kookaburra said:
Such_Saturation said:

Bingo! I thought I had read that somewhere. Something to do with RT3 maybe?

Sun helps a lot actually. I'm noticing that the symptoms get worse as I traverse from one temperature zone to the next. E.g. outoors -> indoors -> air conditioning and back again.

I think the problem is nutritional, sun, outdoors yes can be beneficial but the real issue is elsewhere.

After all i was fine before sugar, but i tried to take things to the next level, either my body can't take it or bacteria in the body has a pivotal role.

So i'll just use sugar sparringly.