UTI

sunmountain

My teenage daughter has UTI that she got toward the end of working at camp, and still has it. She came home Aug 14, so probably 3 weeks. She's been treating it with cranberry extract. She took it for a few days, felt better, then it returned today, so she's starting back up. As far as I know, this is the first she's had UTI.

Have you all used anything successfully for UTI. I did read that RP says thyroid and progesterone can help over the long run.

Thanks

tara

I used to get quite a lot of UTI's. Torture. Never managed to get rid of them without antibiotics. I tried once to use 'natural' methods, including cranberry extract, but got very sick. I think it can risk kidney damage if left unchecked for too long.
But once I started drinking cranberry juice regularly, it seemed to work really well for prevention (along with adequate hydration, hygiene, etc). After I started drinking about 100 ml commercial juice once or twice a day I never got another one.
Good luck to her.

tara

I also used commercial urinary alkalinisers, which seemed helpful, but not enough against a full on infection. I think I've heard lemon juice may be helpful, but didn't test it enough myself to have an opinion.

I wonder if it's the higher body temperature supported by thyroid and progesterone that helps defend against the infections?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I have seen people say they have good results with D-Mannose Powder. I have no clue if its Peaty.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks guys, I also just read that AC helps with UTI. I've asked her to swallow 20 AC capsules...let's see how she does tomorrow. If it helps, I'm going to try to convince her to take it regularly, mixed in applesauce as I read somewhere else.

Regular cranberry juice is also an option. And d-Mannose if things don't clear up.

Stilgar

I had quite a persistent UTI for months that kept coming back, despite antibiotics, d-mannose etc.

I finally made the link finally between it and b12. Took the b12 one day and it seemed to diminish, only to return a few days later. Once I consistently took b12, no more UTI.

Don't think it is the case for most UTIs but you never know, could be worth a try.

SaltGirl

I have no idea if this works but I make sure I get adequate salt.

A hospital that used to be run by nuns here used to wash the urethra with a hypertonic saline solution and the women who experienced that treatment(most who had frequent occurrences) claim that it brought the longest lasting relief. Of course these days the hospitals just prescribe antibiotics.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
My teenage daughter has UTI that she got toward the end of working at camp, and still has it. She came home Aug 14, so probably 3 weeks. She's been treating it with cranberry extract. She took it for a few days, felt better, then it returned today, so she's starting back up. As far as I know, this is the first she's had UTI.

Have you all used anything successfully for UTI. I did read that RP says thyroid and progesterone can help over the long run.

Thanks
I had an interesting experience with UTI's that I will share and if it doesn't pertain to your daughter then maybe it will help someone. I had quite a few UTI's in my twenties most likely from the spermicide in the birth control method I using. Once I ended up in the ER due to urinating blood! I even had my urethra dilated a few times because it supposedly was blocked by scar tissue and not allowing the passage of urine. Both of those experiences were horrific. After getting married and no longer using that particular form of birth control my UTI's went away for several years. When the symptoms came back and I was tested for a UTI the tests always came back normal. I can't count the number of times I had all the symptoms of a UTI but the urinalysis would be perfect. I should know the symptoms after all I'd been through!?! The doctors of course could never figure it out. Before discovering Peat I read one of Matt Stones books where he discusses frequent urination as a sign of stress when people don't eat enough (definitely me at the time with stress and poor nutrition). As I started eating more just as ol'Matt predicted my frequent urination started to subside. He also encouraged salt and sugar and I think most of his recommendations were based at least in part from Peat as he sited him in his reference section. That's how I found out about Peat. A self proclaimed independent health researcher (Matt) helped me solve a long term uncomfortable problem that modern medicine flat out couldn't help me overcome. I sort of forgot about that until now and I should probably email him or something and say THANKS! Long story short- if your daughter doesn't get well from her UTI symptoms but the urinalysis shows no infection it might be worth looking at her nutrition, stress, salt, sugar and all things Peaty for that matter. Hope your daughter gets well soon! I know that can be a miserable experience.

Peata

I felt one coming on last month and began taking apple cider vinegar in water with honey or sugar, many times per day until it went away. But already having a full-blown UTI I don't know if it will work.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

It's full blown now. Cranberry juice etc. not helping. She said it's nearly 3 weeks she's had it now, and in between it went away with juice but then back.

Doc has prescribed Bactrim/Septra (Sulfamethoxazole-Tmp DS), 10 days.

Any thoughts? Also, any links on how best to manage antibiotics?

thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
It's full blown now. Cranberry juice etc. not helping. She said it's nearly 3 weeks she's had it now, and in between it went away with juice but then back.

Doc has prescribed Bactrim/Septra (Sulfamethoxazole-Tmp DS), 10 days.

Any thoughts? Also, any links on how best to manage antibiotics?

thanks
Extra vitamin k is one thing I've read that Peat recommends when taking an antibiotic. Sorry I don't have a direct quote but I will look.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks Blossom, would 4 drops a day be sufficient? Taken once while taking the antibiotic?

Also, has RP said anything about this class of antibiotics?

thanks

Blossom

Forum Supporter
If you search 'minocycline antibiotic log' here on the forum you will find where Ray Peat recommends extra vitamin k while taking antibiotics as originally posted by Charlie. No specific dose was mentioned on the vitamin k. Someone else may know more specific details though. I would imagine you could even make kale broth with a pinch of baking soda as a food source if desired. Hope that helps some. :D

bluewren

In addition to Vit K,it may be helpful to follow up the antibiotics with a good quality Probiotic.
Also, D-Mannose and Probiotics can be used as profalactic measures, taken every day to prevent further bouts.
I have had four UTI's since turning 50. Each time I was hospitalised with pyelonephritis, and was very ill (and in agony!)
Since changing to a diet more in keeping with RP, and taking thyroid meds, I have not had further attacks.

All the best to you both.

arinryan

Charlie said:
I have seen people say they have good results with D-Mannose Powder. I have no clue if its Peaty.

Mannose what I suggest too. Mannose is a sugar that has a unique formula allowing it to attach to bacteria, so when you eat it, it ends up in your bladder and flushes the bacteria out. Much better than just cranberry (which contains mannose).

I got uti's over and over for a couple of years, and trying lots of different antibiotics to find the "right" one is not a good way to be healthy. I had several bad reactions to different antibiotics, not to mention a kidney infection from the first antibiotic not working at all. At least I didn't react to levaquin, that was one of the "last resort" prescribed to me... I have since learned it can be quite dangerous.

Mannose is a thousand times safer and does really work--you have to take it quite a lot for a full on infection. Augmentin was the antibiotic that worked best for me, it didn't cause me any trouble like the others and was most effective.

Poppyseed13

Hello. I have had excellent results from D-Mannose --I use the NOW brand. I don't have utis frequently, but I always keep a couple of bottles on hand. It is important to follow the instructions and drink lots of water and unsweetened cranberry juice.

That said, I would definitely go to the doctor if I had a uti lasting more than a week---they can cause terrible infections beyond the urinary tract--these can become difficult to eradicate even with multiple rounds of antibiotics.

I use the D-Mannose at the first sign of a uti, and I continue taking it for at least a week---regardless of whether the pain and frequent urination has gone.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

lindsay

Hello to people on this thread -
I think I might have a UTI following appendicitis surgery and antibiotics. The surgery was about 5 weeks ago, but I've noticed some discomfort in the bladder when urinating, but it comes and goes. It could be a yeast infection - I've no idea, as I've never had a UTI before.
Where do I get this D-Mannose stuff and how do I take it? I figured I would try ACV in water, but if this works, I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks!
Lindsay

loess

I have no experience with D-Mannose (or UTI's, thankfully), but wanted to let you know that PureBulk carries it, and they happen to be doing a 25% off sale through tomorrow (thanks to Dan for the heads up on that). Hope you can resolve what's going on and feel better soon Lindsay.

tara

Just reading about mannose, it looks like it might be helpful against GI bacteria too, eg salmonella and e. coli. Does that seem right?

Loulie11

Oh yes, d mannose works very well for me. I use now brand powder. Without any other I gradients. Very soothing and gentle. Hope this helps.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals