Eating Away From Home

Filip1993

Next week I will leave town with a couple of friends for a golf weekend. I know I will shitty restaurant food, but I'm not going to stress too much about it. Anyways, I still want to eat as healthy as possible. So, what are some good choices when eating out? If you have any experience/tips on what to eat/bring when traveling please share. Thanks.

Edit: I'm going to use some extra aspirin and vitamin e.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Filip1993 said:
Next week I will leave town with a couple of friends for a golf weekend. I know I will s****y restaurant food, but I'm not going to stress too much about it. Anyways, I still want to eat as healthy as possible. So, what are some good choices when eating out? If you have any experience/tips on what to eat/bring when traveling please share. Thanks.

I travel a lot in the summer so have figured out a few tips that might help. A cooler well stocked with your Peat favorites can be a lifesaver when on the road. I have had the occasional substandard milk and OJ while on the road rather than have nothing at all and I'm happy to say I'm alive and doing well. Coconut oil and ghee(clarified butter) travel nicely even without keeping them cool. Honey is a great travel companion. Many restaurants will post an allergen menu on line so you can research some places beforehand and pinpoint things you might choose to avoid. It's great information to know even if you are technically not allergic to anything. Getting food steamed instead of fried is one way of avoiding the cooking oil most places use. Steak or seafood restaurants are fairly easy because you can usually get plain protein and a baked potato if nothing else. I always check to see if the place I'm at uses real butter. It's surprising what you find....Have a great time and enjoy!

PeaterPan

I would say to stop worrying about it and just eat what you want and crave, just try to avoid vegeable oils and fried things.
Worry elevates cortisol, just relax and take it easy.

I know how it is. Fish is all breaded and fried and the meat tastes like ******* sunflower and corn. I wouldn't honestly call them restaurants. Eventually you get used to drinking milk in public.

jyb

Such_Saturation said:
I know how it is. Fish is all breaded and fried and the meat tastes like ******* sunflower and corn. I wouldn't honestly call them restaurants. Eventually you get used to drinking milk in public.

Eventually you get used to sneak a bottle of fresh milk from under the table at the restaurant.

G

gummybear

Such_Saturation said:

That sounded so funny :D

loess

I just returned home from a two-month stint of traveling, mostly in northern California camping, living in my minivan and occasionally staying with friends. I had my own vehicle and spent a lot of time alone, so Peating was a cinch most of the time. It's when you are eating out and sharing meals with others that it can get tricky. Some tools that I brought along and found useful:

- small wooden citrus reamer
- fine mesh strainer bag (sometimes these are marketed as "nut milk" bags) for straining OJ & mangoes, straining/rinsing cottage cheese, and making grape juice by crushing grapes inside of the bag and squeezing out the juice
- coffee beans, coffee grinder, aeropress, bottles of sparkling water (I'll admit I''m a bit of a coffee purist)
- small camp stove for making farmers cheese, dissolving aspirin powder, boiling water for coffee & cascara tea
- jar of coconut oil
- several quart size mason jars full of honey
- supplements: haidut's "Estroban", Swanson Vitamin E pills (kept in cooler), niacinamide powder, pregnenolone, powdered eggshell, aspirin powder
- small jar of activated charcoal (taken ahead of or after high-PUFA meals)
- small container of baking soda
- vinegar (for carrot salad & for making farmers cheese)

I mostly ate milk, OJ, grapes, gelatin, honey, parmigiano reggiano, farmers cheese, greek yogurt, strained cottage cheese, and shopped a lot of local farmers markets (northern CA farmers markets are very Peat-friendly with all of the fruit, coffee, oysters, pasture-raised meats and dairy).

Part of my trip was spent working on a farm for a couple of weeks where all of the meals were shared communally and cooking responsibilities rotated between all of us. Some folks were of course unfamiliar with using coconut oil and prepared meals cooked in cast iron pots using sunflower oil or canola oil. Also lots of grains, small amounts of occasional gluten (french toast, bagels), beans, cabbage, and some fried ethnic dishes (my Peruvian friend made some empanadas that were amazing). Not ideal, and thyroid suppressive in some aspects, but pretty healthy and all of the meat and dairy raised on the farm is largely pasture-based (with some grain supplementation, as there is a major drought in the area). Anyway I decided not to worry about it, ate what was served and was thankful for the community, for food grown and raised with love, and for the delicious milk that came from goats that I had milked myself each morning. After 8 months of pretty straight and narrow Peating, I definitely felt a dive in overall energy and mental clarity, and am still dealing with some slight residual and cascading physiological effects of working hard every day in the hot sun and re-fueling with food that was a bit higher in PUFA, iron, and other thyroid suppressive substances than I have been used to. But I had a great time and was incredibly fortunate to have had hosts who were incredibly generous, patient, open-minded and willing to put faith and trust in their guests/workers by sharing equally with them nearly everything they own and care for. Anyway, when it comes to food sometimes all you can do is the best you can with the limited variables that you are able to manipulate, and the remaining context and beauty of the situation you are in has the potential to nourish you powerfully in other ways.

When you feed yourself you can feed others in ways. I might not look normal but the reactions are quite unrelated to that sometimes, especially when someone remembers how damn slow I used to be. Last trip what I brought was a handful of B3 powder and charcoal capsules all in one bottle, and I find (over)simplification to be a great source of energy. However, I do would like this "aeropress" :mrgreen:

BingDing

Asian restaurants can be OK, white rice, squid, shrimp or scallops. I can survive a visit to McDonald's as long as I quit eating the minute I start to feel bad.

Eventually you get used to drinking milk in public. LOL, last winter I spent a day on a boat off North Carolina looking for a Black-browed Albatross (with no luck). When I pulled my jug of milk and OJ out of the cooler I got a few comments. "Nectar of the Gods" was my answer.

G

gummybear

I feel betrayed that no one has mentioned gummy bears.

Perfect food

Oh yeah ladies

gummybear said:

Perfect food

Oh yeah ladies

I find it hard to get them without some kind of wax or vegetable oil.

jyb

Homemade gummy bears is handy yes. If you mean the industrial Haribo ones though, they're full of questionable ingredients even the 1920's Germany recipe. No vegetable oil but potentially other offenders in that long list of ingredients.

OP
F

Filip1993

gummybear said:

Perfect food

Oh yeah ladies

Very good idea. Does anyone have a good recipe?

PeaterPan

Filip1993 said:
gummybear said:

Perfect food

Oh yeah ladies

Very good idea. Does anyone have a good recipe?

Ingredients:
Buy gelatin, make fruit juice without fiber (or buy it) , sugar.

Put the gelatin in water(if it's solid) to make it more flexible(important), wait 10 minutes, cook it with sugar until it's completely liquid, when it's a little colder add the fruit juice, mix it. Then put the liquid inside Gummy Bear shaped recipients and wait for it to solidify.

You'll have to experiment with the water content though.

Birdie

Unfortunately, I must limit my gelatin. It's high in arginine related to lysine, so too much and I get a herpes reaction. It's usually herpes zoster, shingles. Kept happening until I reduced the gelatin to small amount.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Filip1993 said:
Next week I will leave town with a couple of friends for a golf weekend. I know I will s****y restaurant food, but I'm not going to stress too much about it. Anyways, I still want to eat as healthy as possible. So, what are some good choices when eating out? If you have any experience/tips on what to eat/bring when traveling please share. Thanks.

I would take it easy on the aspirin. It stops fat burning, and you don't want to store much of that restaurant fat you'll eat. Vitamin E is what you need - it will saturate it and you want to burn it off sooner rather than later.

Peata

haidut said:
Filip1993 said:

I would take it easy on the aspirin. It stops fat burning, and you don't want to store much of that restaurant fat you'll eat. Vitamin E is what you need - it will saturate it and you want to burn it off sooner rather than later.

Does niacinamide also stop the fat burning similar to aspirin?

haidut

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
haidut said:
Filip1993 said:

Does niacinamide also stop the fat burning similar to aspirin?

Yes, niacinamide is also a lipolysis inhibitor and a pretty potent one at that too. There is another thread started recently about fatty liver and things to do to correct it. Caffeine would be good too since it protects the liver and other tissues from the harmful effects of fat oxidation even if it is PUFA you are burning.

Curt :-)

I mostly drink flavoured milk or coke when I'm out and about. At restaurants, I'll just try eat something not-so-awful; a chicken and rice type of dish, for example.

Birdie

I'll choose a latte or in a restaurant a beef patty with fruit. First I check to make sure the meat is real, not with added junk. Most chains have things added. I have asked at Applebee's and they told me they have nothing I can eat. Everything comes prepped they say... I think that eggs sunny side up or poached eggs, bacon and oj might be okay anywhere. I was relieved to hear Ray say oj will take care of the nitrates.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals