Ray Peat Diet Gave Me A Fatty Liver?

Nicholas

EIRE24 said:
post 109663
Nicholas said:
post 109536
Parsifal said:
post 109535 Oh and how would higher protein diets help fatty liver?

because the carb ratio is lower. diets have to be arrived at on a cellular level, which is indicated by temp/pulse/ and how you feel. You don't just decide to heal fatty liver. You decide to meet the demands of your cells....and if this is achieved, then the cells heal the fatty liver. Bringing balance to the cells and regulating blood sugar regulates all systems. in the situation of fatty liver, it makes sense that the cells will naturally indicate to you to lower your carb ratio or opt for starch and get higher protein because your liver cannot deal with fructose in the amount you are eating. People with compromised livers will likely have higher protein demands than they will have carb demands.

Thats interesting. I always thought it would be the other way around that people with compromised livers may not deal with a big intake of protein and would benefit from a higher carb diet of mainly starch or sucrose containing foods. Why would the liver have higher protein demands, Nicholas?

ratio, ratio, ratio. it's never about high this or high that....it's about the *right* amount. Someone's definition of a big intake of protein may be different than someone else. I didn't mean that starch or sucrose should be lower for someone with a compromised liver....just that their body may be signaling that they need more protein than *what they currently get* or that they are consuming the wrong kinds of proteins. This would make the carb ratio lower....it doesn't mean that the carb ratio is lower than the protein ratio. i slightly miscommunicated on my last line....i meant that they would likely have higher protein demands than what they currently get, not that the protein would necessarily supersede the carbs. for someone with a compromised liver, the protein type is also important. protein specifically helps with tissue repair and removing fat. protein is also anti-inflammatory and reduces stress. for someone with a compromised liver, those are the things you specifically need for your liver, right? but not too much or the wrong kinds of proteins, right? because if it's too much, you have a compromised liver already that is sensitive to a protein burden.

i made this comment primarily for the ray peat population, because it tends to be high-carb and potentially too low protein....and fatty liver seems to also be a potential problem in the ray peat population and other populations where there is excess carbs (and therefore, lower protein). While high protein diets can certainly do their damage, i don't think that fatty liver is a common one....but a high protein diet would certainly lower someone's metabolism and therefore liver function to be unable to handle the burden of suddenly eating tons of carbs.

Last edited by a moderator:

stsfut

This was an awesome thread...I am worried that I may have NAFl...high LFTs and Trigs.

tallglass13

Some non-mainstream researchers, say that saturated fat actually causes liver fat and visceral fat... And ever since I've been frying in coconut oil I have noted an increase in liver enzymes... For the record, someone that eats a lot of sugar like durianrider, does not have a fatty liver... Something to ponder

Capt Nirvana

I've been on a Ray Peat inspired diet for over 2 years now (Age: 40 Years).
I was first introduced to it by Danny Roddy.
The results have been great - Increased drive and productivity, extremely youthful skin, high libido etc.

But ...

I recently got an ultra sound of my abdomen and pelvis done because I'd been having a vague sense of fullness on my right upper quadrant.

The report now says that I have 'mild hepatomegaly with grade 1 fatty changes'. And the liver is mildly enlarged and measures 14.8 cm.

Is there anybody else out there with something similar?

What could be the cause of this?

Is it all the sugar?

Or the egg-shell calcium?

Is it the coconut oil and butter?

Or could it be the Thyroid-S?

Any thoughts?

How do I begin bug fixing and optimizing my diet?

Thanks ... I'm really looking to hear your view points and am hopeful that it will help others avoid making the same mistakes that I might have made.
The good news is that the liver regenerates at speeds that make heads spin. Half a liver can be lost, and the whole thing back on line one week later. "We sell our cells short!"

Kingpinguin

Timothy Berzins. A dude obviously got all his teachings from Peat. He’s a big proponent that you need a high intake of choline. That choline is responsible from shuttling liver fat out in blood as cholesterol. So either using choline bitartrate or eating a few egg yolks per day. Another nutrient from fatty liver is copper. Liver stores lots of copper and copper has been shown to be crucial for fat burning and removal.
Copper is Key in Burning Fat

mice with low copper had more fat deposits

Low copper levels linked to fatter fat cells

David90

Timothy Berzins. A dude obviously got all his teachings from Peat. He’s a big proponent that you need a high intake of choline. That choline is responsible from shuttling liver fat out in blood as cholesterol. So either using choline bitartrate or eating a few egg yolks per day. Another nutrient from fatty liver is copper. Liver stores lots of copper and copper has been shown to be crucial for fat burning and removal.
Copper is Key in Burning Fat

mice with low copper had more fat deposits

Low copper levels linked to fatter fat cells

THIS ^^^^

I eat also Peaty. But i Increased my Choline
Intake via Choline Bitartate and Runny Egg Yolks for Years. I didn‘t have Liver Problems (Even on My Blood Test)....

I found some claims that low estrogen increases choline demands. These RP inspired diets and lifestyle all target for estrogen reduction.

xeliex

Forum Supporter

Tim Berzins induced some cognitive dissonance with this recently released video on how reducing fructose and fatty acids might temporarily be a good strategy in dealing with liver insulin resistance.

ddjd

Finally, there is some evidence that alpha lipoic acid helps a lot with fatty liver but given Peat's opinion on it I would not recommend it.
why does ray not like alpha lipoic acid?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals