Cypro and antibiotic

sunmountain

All

My teenager is on Bactrim/Septra for a UTI. She is requesting a sleep aid to prepare for thr first day of school. Can I give her cypro?

I also have something called Deep Sleep with herbs in it.

Thanks

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

California Poppy
Valerian root
Passionflower
Chamomile
Lemon Balm
Oat seed in milky stage
Orange peel.

These are in Deep Sleep

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sunmountain said:
All

My teenager is on Bactrim/Septra for a UTI. She is requesting a sleep aid to prepare for thr first day of school. Can I give her cypro?

I also have something called Deep Sleep with herbs in it.

Thanks
I would call a pharmacist and ask if there are any know drug interactions with cyproheptadine and bacterium/septra. If she has never used cyproheptadine before then a 1mg or smaller dose would probably be sufficient to help with sleep. I would ask the pharmacist about the herbal supplement too. They usually have access to a data base the tells about drug/herb interactions.

jyb

Do you mean antibiotic cipro or wonder drug cypro(heptadine)?

aguilaroja

sunmountain said:
My teenager is on Bactrim/Septra for a UTI. She is requesting a sleep aid to prepare for the first day of school. Can I give her cypro?

The first concern would be that in a person new to the substance, even a small dose of cyproheptadine may lead to morning lethargy if its effect is long acting. That is probably not the desired start to a school year.

It would be better to pick something else. Jitters before the school year may be a high adrenalin state. Something sweet or salty or both at night, like (orange) juice with a pinch of baking soda, may be a more practical potion. You can read posts on the forum about people who are using sweetened milk and other aids as well. Lots of other Peat-y sedating nutrients (gelatin, glycine, theanine, many others) tend to have less prolonged AM sedation.

If dealing with herbs, my experience is that it is easier to evaluate the action of single ingredient preparations rather than mixture. The preparation you describe seems reasonable as a short term experiment. It is best to rehearse trials of sleep aids on a day when there is margin to sleep late.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, all!

I saw Blossom's post and called the pharmacy, and they said no problem, so I went ahead and let her have 4mg, going on the fact that less than 4mg did nothing for me. She is my size. I told her she might be groggy AM, and to drink strong coffee!

Done now. Your suggestions are great too, Aquila, I will get her glycine or theanine...which is stronger?

Thank you

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals