Has anyone increased their body's progesterone production?

Peata

Has anyone who previously needed Progest E stopped needing to supplement it because it corrected their own production.... or because they increased their own production through foods?

I'm wondering if I'll always need to supplement it.

OP
Peata

Peata

Re: Has anyone increased their body's progesterone productio

Bumping.

If nobody has experienced this yet, can someone at least give their thoughts on if this can happen? I'm OK with using Progest E for life if needed, I just wondered if there were other options.

tara

I have not had or read of any specific experiences of this.
I think at least some people whose hormone production and body weight have dropped dramatically due to severe undereating often recover significant hormone production, including progesterone, when they persist in refeeding. I imagine, but don't know, that this may include estrogen as well as progesterone, and I don't know that the balance comes out optimal.

If I've understood him right, I think Peat has suggested that progesterone production can improve when thyroid function improves, as long as there is enough cholesterol and other requirements to work with. I think he has said a healthy woman's body produces about 10mg/day. Some people benefit from supplementing much more because there is too much estrogen. All kinds of stresses can increase estrogen. There seem to be many tactics for reducing estrogen production.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks, Tara. I think you're right that there is too much estrogen. I don't seem to have the results I seek from trying to lower it, I need progesterone too, at least during luteal phase. Since I stopped using Progest E regularly, I've tried increasing progesterone from eating more protein (I forget what else I've tried right now) but it doesn't quite seem to be enough on its own. I do think my 2.5 months of mega-dosing Progest E without stop helped me - I have less acne for example since I stopped. But I feel like it was worse this month and so maybe my condition is regressing without Progest E. So I think I will need to take Progest E like before. Even taking it all through the cycle it did not stop my periods from coming, not sure if that's an indication I need it all the time. I guess I'll be using Progest E for the long haul.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

I'm down to 12 mg per day as compared to the 75 mg daily amount I took for over 6 months. I'm feeling fine on that amount currently. When I first started Progest-e I had been on prescription estradiol for a couple years though so I felt I needed to use high progesterone to heal from that situation. I wanted to shift to using it with my cycle but since I don't have a uterus and I have to get the basal thermometer to track ovulation that hasn't happened yet. Anyway I just lowered the dose for now. I did hear Peat mention in a radio interview (I believe it was the last rainmaking) that Progest-e, if used uninterrupted, should be kept at a consistent dose. My impression was that if the Progest-e didn't control symptoms then a little t3 should be used instead of changing the Progest-e amount. I really need to listen again and post a direct quote. I always took pretty much the same dose everyday just because I can't tell for sure where I'm at in my cycle. I remember aquilaroja mentioning something about adding t3 too when menstrual or estrogen symptoms aren't being controlled by the current Progest-e dose and aquilaroja seems very well informed. My progesterone levels feel good on a much lower dose after using Progest-e since October of last year but I haven't had any labs to check this. I probably won't get any either because I'm feeling so good. I have only one ovary but it seems to be working fabulously now. I almost feel like Progest-e revived it but I'm sure it is the whole approach.

haidut

Forum Supporter

I rely on caffeine for raising progesterone and pregnenolone production. There is a study I posted some time ago showing 500mg-1,000mg caffeine daily raises production of all neurosteroids several fold. I personally take 800mg daily split into two doses of 400mg each.

Jennifer

Peata said:
So I think I will need to take Progest E like before. Even taking it all through the cycle it did not stop my periods from coming, not sure if that's an indication I need it all the time.

It's so hard to tell, isn't it? In my case, I need progest-e to have periods and I know another member on here who also needs progest-e to menstruate. Quite perplexing!

My blood estrogen levels and prolactin levels are at the lower end of normal so it would seem my total body estrogen isn't high, but my body just won't keep progesterone production up on its own and I end up with non-existent levels without it. For over a year now of starting progest-e and NDT, I've been tested every 6-8 weeks just to keep track. I think in my case, it goes back to my gut. You'd think I was living off tree bark with all the gut damage I'm dealing with. :roll:

My biggest reason for wanting to get off progesterone supplementation is that I haven't been able to find the right dose. When I supplement with it, my level goes really high and along with that my libido skyrockets to uncomfortable levels and I get bleeding twice a month. If I stop supplementing, my uncomfortably high libido goes back to normal, but my periods cease. I've tried cycling it, taking it all month long, upping my dose, lowering my dose and it doesn't matter. it's almost like all or nothing with my body at this point so I've backed off of it for now.

Blossom said:
I have only one ovary but it seems to be working fabulously now. I almost feel like Progest-e revived it but I'm sure it is the whole approach.

Blossom, the member who I mentioned needs progest-e to have periods, shares a similar experience. She has mentioned that her one remaining ovary is working better from using progest-e and thyroid supplementation.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for the comments, all. I seem to be getting by with less Progest E now. Seems like my acne has been better more than a week. I pretty much do a small strip on my gum 2 x day. Estimating, about 10 drops in each strip. So around 60 mg. per day. When I took big doses before, I had to take 200 - 400 mg. daily to keep symptoms under control.

I'm not sure if the improvement is due to better temps and pulse. Or using more caffeine. Or it could be that my stomach/gut is doing better. Been using more Vitamin E than normal too. So, I don't know.

tomisonbottom

I rely on caffeine for raising progesterone and pregnenolone production. There is a study I posted some time ago showing 500mg-1,000mg caffeine daily raises production of all neurosteroids several fold. I personally take 800mg daily split into two doses of 400mg each.

Do you think it would be ok for a hypothyroid person to take those kind of doses too, as long as they take it with, enough sugar.....say a glass of OJ?

Pregnenolone seems to have increased my wife's natural progesterone levels. Hot flashes gone. Progestelle didn't work as well. It's been amazing actually. 100mg once taken at night.

Last edited:

tomisonbottom

Pregnenolone seems to have increased my wife's natural progesterone levels. Hot flashes gone. Progestelle didn't work as well. It's been amazing actually. 100mg once taken at night.

What kind of pregnenolone does she use? I seem to have gotten mixed results with different sources.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Do you think it would be ok for a hypothyroid person to take those kind of doses too, as long as they take it with, enough sugar.....say a glass of OJ?

Probably not, for hypo people I'd try no more than 100mg at a time every 3-4 hours. Even that dose raises progesterone and allopregnanolone.

superhuman

Probably not, for hypo people I'd try no more than 100mg at a time every 3-4 hours. Even that dose raises progesterone and allopregnanolone.

What sort of feeling do you go buy if its enough or to much caffeine haidut?
Like what is typical good reactions to caffeine and what are bad ones that indicates that you had to much? i know the obvious ones like jitters etc

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals