removing lead safely?

tara

Hi,
I got back results showing higher that I have lead levels (top of the range considered acceptable locally). Where I am, the acceptable range for adults is 0-0.5 micromols/litre. Do I need to know more about the form of lead to know how to treat it?
I gather that the US talks about blood levels in micrograms/deciliter (mcg/dl), and officially considers under 10 micrograms/deciliter to be OK, though there is evidence that risks for serious problems increase at much lower levels (eg over 2 micrograms/deciliter). Googling has found me some interesting studies from the US, but I don't know how to convert units.
My children have been tested, and have much lower levels than me (though higher than I'd like - 0 would be good). I guess thanks to their resistance to eating excessive vegetables.

I may have had other exposures, but it is likely that a lot has come from my garden. I'm seriously regretting the year I spent drinking daily green smoothies with lots of various fresh leafy greens from my garden, in the hope of improving my health. Also regret eating and feeding my children my home grown free range eggs for years. When I found out a few months ago that there might be a contamination problem, I stopped eating greens and roots from the garden, and cut back on eating the fruit. My reading so far suggests that fruit picks up a lot less of the lead, and is likely much safer (as long as they are peeled or very thoroughly washed.

I also have a mouthful of mercury amalgam fillings, so that adds to the heavy metal burden. Haven't found any references to any local dentists who use appropriate safe methods for removing and replacing the amalgam fillings. Not sure that either my health or my wallet can take the hit of having them removed.
I know there are others trying to figure out mercury issues. Are there significant differences in dealing with lead?

It wouldn't surprise me if these two metals contribute significantly to metabolic and my migraine issues.

My understanding is that:
- it is good to get lead and mercury out of the system, where they do continuous damage,
- that the body has some capacity for eliminating them, but less if metabolism is slow
- mobilising the metals in the process of getting them out is risky in itself, and can cause more damage than letting them stay put
- if you do anything to mobilise them, it is important to have a way to remove them
- slow elimination is generally safer than fast
- the side effects of the chemicals commonly prescribed for severe lead poisoning can have significant negative effects, and the medical system usually only things it is worth doing if the lead poisoning is severe.

So what to do? I'd appreciate your thoughts on the likely effectiveness and safety of following possibilities, and any other suggestions for improving detox, and protecting myself from colateral damage.
- Keep trying to improve general metabolism with diet and supplements etc, as I have been (described in my main migraine thread).
- Try to improve detoxification using:
Garlic?
Increasing coffee (is the caffeine important)?
Increasing fibre - esp carrot salad
More regular activated charcoal - is it good at adsorbing heavy metals, or is mostly good for removing organic molecules? Risks may be warranted if it helps remove the metals?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

OP
T

tara

There are lots of references to supplementing vitamin C against lead poisoning. Any thoughts on whether this makes sense too, despite Peat's reservations about supplementing it generally?

Mittir

When someone asked RP about mercury amalgam detox, he mentioned a
Hans Selye experiment that found when mercury was given to mice with
vitamin C they did not die and without vitamin C they died.
Conclusion was that mercury in reduced form is less toxic.
But he warned against large dose of vitamin C ,which can activate stored
iron. Amount of vitamin C in a quart of OJ gives an idea what RP thinks
reasonable amount. He also mentioned caffeine chelating heavy metal from tissues.
I believe if Vitamin C is applicable for mercury it should do the same for lead.

Here is a relevant study using 500 mg of Vitamin C in lead poisoning.

Reversal of ionoregulatory disruptions in occupational lead exposure by vitamin C.

Abam E1, Okediran BS, Odukoya OO, Adamson I, Ademuyiwa O.
Author information
Abstract
In order to investigate the toxic effects of lead during occupational exposure to this metal and the antidotal efficacy of ascorbic acid directed against these toxic effects, various artisans in Abeokuta, Nigeria, who have been shown to be occupationally exposed to lead were supplemented daily with 500mg ascorbic acid for 2 weeks. Ca(2+)-Mg(2+)-ATPase activity in erythrocyte membrane, as well as calcium and magnesium concentrations in plasma, erythrocytes, erythrocyte membrane and urine of the artisans were determined before and after ascorbic acid supplementation. The 2-week ascorbic acid administration resulted in the reversal of lead-induced accumulation of calcium and magnesium in the erythrocyte membranes of the artisans. Ascorbic acid also reversed lead-induced inhibition of erythrocyte membrane Ca(2+)-Mg(2+)-ATPase. Urinary excretion of calcium and magnesium was not affected by ascorbic acid. There may be some scope in introducing ascorbic acid as an intervention strategy for the prevention and therapy of lead intoxication, especially in cases where the subjects cannot be removed from the source of lead exposure.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21791378

haidut

Forum Supporter
Mittir said:
When someone asked RP about mercury amalgam detox, he mentioned a
Hans Selye experiment that found when mercury was given to mice with
vitamin C they did not die and without vitamin C they died.
Conclusion was that mercury in reduced form is less toxic.
But he warned against large dose of vitamin C ,which can activate stored
iron. Amount of vitamin C in a quart of OJ gives an idea what RP thinks
reasonable amount. He also mentioned caffeine chelating heavy metal from tissues.
I believe if Vitamin C is applicable for mercury it should do the same for lead.

Here is a relevant study using 500 mg of Vitamin C in lead poisoning.

Reversal of ionoregulatory disruptions in occupational lead exposure by vitamin C.

Abam E1, Okediran BS, Odukoya OO, Adamson I, Ademuyiwa O.
Author information
Abstract
In order to investigate the toxic effects of lead during occupational exposure to this metal and the antidotal efficacy of ascorbic acid directed against these toxic effects, various artisans in Abeokuta, Nigeria, who have been shown to be occupationally exposed to lead were supplemented daily with 500mg ascorbic acid for 2 weeks. Ca(2+)-Mg(2+)-ATPase activity in erythrocyte membrane, as well as calcium and magnesium concentrations in plasma, erythrocytes, erythrocyte membrane and urine of the artisans were determined before and after ascorbic acid supplementation. The 2-week ascorbic acid administration resulted in the reversal of lead-induced accumulation of calcium and magnesium in the erythrocyte membranes of the artisans. Ascorbic acid also reversed lead-induced inhibition of erythrocyte membrane Ca(2+)-Mg(2+)-ATPase. Urinary excretion of calcium and magnesium was not affected by ascorbic acid. There may be some scope in introducing ascorbic acid as an intervention strategy for the prevention and therapy of lead intoxication, especially in cases where the subjects cannot be removed from the source of lead exposure.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21791378

Alpha lipoic acid is known to chelate lead and in fact is approved as a protocol in several countries. I don't know Ray's opinion on it, but do a search for "alpha lipoic acid lead" and you will get a lot of info on protocol, dose, etc. One thing I remember is Ray saying that if lead chelation is done it has to be done consistently so as to avoid getting the lead out of the bones and having the blood deposit it in say the brain or liver. So, once lead has been mobilized you will have to maintain chelation therapy until lead is excreted.

OP
T

tara

Thanks Mittir, Haidut,
I'll read about alpha lipoic acid.
Current tentative plan:
- Make sure I get completely regular about daily carrot salad ( I eat some most days now, but will aim at more and every day) and charcoal (2-3/weekly?), use cascara sagraga a little more often (lately 2-3 times/wk) to improve removal of everything from lower GI.
- See if I can gradually increase coffee/caffeine - it still seems to cause problems if I have more than a little caffeine.
- Add daily vit-C - eg 500mg.
- Add a little garlic to diet. Not sure if it has to be raw to draw out lead, or whehter cooked is also useful.
- Read about alpha lipoic acid, and consider it, but not leap into using it unless I'm confident that I can keeep it up reularly for a very long time (years?)
- Get tested again in a few months, if doctor agrees.

Daimyo

Hi tara,

you can get soil tested for lead, it's not very expensive. Do maybe 2 samples, one close to fences, as in past they used lead base paint, and one in general garden area. If you want to continue (food) gardening. Make sure your garden contains good amount of beneficial heavy metals (zinc - minimum 10ppm, copper, minimum 5 ppm). Higher pH, lot of calcium (if needed, add calcium carbonate and or gypsum) will help as well.

OP
T

tara

Daimyo said:
post 113436 you can get soil tested for lead, it's not very expensive. Do maybe 2 samples, one close to fences, as in past they used lead base paint, and one in general garden area. If you want to continue (food) gardening. Make sure your garden contains good amount of beneficial heavy metals (zinc - minimum 10ppm, copper, minimum 5 ppm). Higher pH, lot of calcium (if needed, add calcium carbonate and or gypsum) will help as well.

Thanks Daimyo,

Getting a couple of samples analysed here was going to cost hundreds, and getting the whole site tested properly several thousand. Neighbours who had theirs professional tested said they showed very high spots and normal spots within a metre or so of each other. So two samples wasn't going to reassure me much. Still considering other factors regarding where I live, so hadn't wanted to fork out many thousands at this stage.

I've just imported an affordable DIY lead test kit (leadinspector). I've taken a dozen samples, from around vege garden, chook run, fruit trees. If the test is effective and I've done it right, it looks as though none of my samples were over ~150ppm, which is probably considered acceptable by the local councils. The callibration is not very fine - may try to get a more concentrated sample just to see if I can get a stronger reaction. Would probably also be good to have a positive sample to test. It involves leaching in vinegar - I guess that's a good test of what would be absorbable into the body?
I should probably do some more samples in different places, but it's time consuming. So far I'm wondering if maybe my vege garden is not too bad, and maybe my high blood lead levels came from some previous exposure (eg old paint over the years). I haven't had my own blood levels retested yet, but will ask to next time I see dr. It would be nice to see it trend down. Don't know how long that should take.

So now I'm wondering if I trust my testing enough to start eating greens from my garden again. It would be nice to be able to test some of the greens themselves, but I think the colour of the juice would probably confuse with the reagent colours.

What's the easiest way to test soil pH? take a sample, sit it in water for a day, and test with pH strips of pH meter?
I can add a bag of lime if that is likely to help.
Don't know where to find affordable testing of the other minerals, eg zinc and copper.
Also concerns about arsenic and maybe POPs.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
T

tara

tara said:
post 56522 Current tentative plan:
- Make sure I get completely regular about daily carrot salad ( I eat some most days now, but will aim at more and every day) and charcoal (2-3/weekly?), use cascara sagraga a little more often (lately 2-3 times/wk) to improve removal of everything from lower GI.
- See if I can gradually increase coffee/caffeine - it still seems to cause problems if I have more than a little caffeine.
- Add daily vit-C - eg 500mg.
- Add a little garlic to diet. Not sure if it has to be raw to draw out lead, or whehter cooked is also useful.
- Read about alpha lipoic acid, and consider it, but not leap into using it unless I'm confident that I can keeep it up reularly for a very long time (years?)
- Get tested again in a few months, if doctor agrees.

I got out of the habit of carrot salad for a few months, but have resumed, most days but just one serve of 1/2 - 1 carrot. Time is probably the only thing stopping me eating more. Lately I've been adding a little garlic some days.
I don't get a round to the supplemental vit-C regularly - just don't feel like it, but do take ~100-250mg from time to time.
I read a bit about ALA, but it seems risky, and seems to require real consistency over a long time - I don't trust myself to be able to be that consistent, so I'm not doing this, at least for now.
Aiming to get tested again early next year.

Sheila

In my experience, which is largely in keeping with your own conclusions, keeping calcium levels high for children (in terms of diet, not necessarily blood levels) will reduce issues both with continuing ingestion/inhalation and with removal, since calcium and lead compete for absorption and integration (bones, teeth etc). Obviously this applies to adults too, but is more effective due to greater turnover and uptake in growing kids. Haidut is spot on, don't trigger release unless you have a plan to get it out consistently once mobilised and clearly you have thought of that, same with mercury, a clean, well-moving bowel is critical and think of this as a priority for months and months, years in fact. Fast removal is not a safe option, it will take a long time and, so as not to overwhelm, my experience suggests that is the safest way. Having had quite a few conversations with dentists, and my own amalgam removed some years ago, observing that and many other reports, I would counsel against bulk removal unless there is another dental problem that requires this. I have seen a lot of problems from amalgam removal overwhelming already fragile states, despite being done as best practice with extraction, Vit C infusions etc. Chelation strategies as largely advertised seem very blunt instruments and, I have seen people get a lot worse due to their use. I think you need tip top health, what we would call 'great energy' to successfully navigate amalgam removal, sometimes it's better to leave as is. The liberated form of mercury after liver processing, methyl-mercury is more dangerous I believe. Also note that everything in our systems is cumulative so it's lead AND mercury to be considered, not just the effect of lead and the effect of mercury. So small levels of each for example, mean greater toxicity when considered together than singly. I hope that makes sense.

Children will often show higher levels due to high absorption potential of growing systems, if their blood results are lower than yours that's great, but remember that blood tests for lead show ACUTE absorption, current absorption, as the body gets lead out of the blood stream very quickly and into somewhere less immediately harmful, the bones asap, so it is usually a current issue not a latent one that blood tests show. I would always correlate blood lead with other blood tests to see if red and white blood cell production, Hb are affected in any way. Either way keep dairy up as a buffer (not calcium supplements unless you know they are clean, often they are contaminated with lead, especially 'coral calcium' (!)) and direct chelator wrt continuous absorption. Given that it's not just kids showing exposure, but you also, I conclude there is still a current source of lead in your environment, unless health is breaking down (when the body does not have the energy to keep lead out of the blood stream, a very nasty state), blood only really shows current absorption. So a zero level may mean no lead, or no current lead. That said, children often show higher levels due to their inherently fast metabolisms and that can be due to everyday environmental exposure, rather than any particular lead source. So it can be useful to follow blood lead but only if you realise the parameters of that test. Took me a while to realise that, hair analysis (which has some merit with heavy metals) also is not a direct correlation, lead 'showing' depends on energy once again...

Absolutely get your soil tested if you think that is the source. Paint, old pressed ceilings, lead flashing on roofs (especially if you drink rain water), lead water pipes (old houses), downwind exposure from industrial plants, use of superphosphate fertilisers etc., all can contribute to lead load. I have worked with people who lived near an active lead mine. To have children within 50 miles of that is child abuse. I think your plan looks good and you have covered most bases. I have read quite a few reports that garlic raw and cooked (fried) works well but it still has to be tolerated by the individual. If it annoys you, it's not going to have the effect hoped. I suspect garlic is 'in the mix' for its sulphur content, in which case taurine, thiamine, biotin might also be worth a look. Finally, if your children have a tendency to be sickly, look at Vit A status, its effect on strengthening mucous membranes might also be anti-lead (as other materials). Ultimately, the better your energy, the better you can deal with any toxic load.
Hope this is in some way helpful.
Sheila

OP
T

tara

Hi Sheila,
Thank you very much for all your detailed thoughts on this.

Sheila said:
post 113462 In my experience, which is largely in keeping with your own conclusions, keeping calcium levels high for children (in terms of diet, not necessarily blood levels) will reduce issues both with continuing ingestion/inhalation and with removal, since calcium and lead compete for absorption and integration (bones, teeth etc). Obviously this applies to adults too, but is more effective due to greater turnover and uptake in growing kids.
I encourage my kids to eat milk and cheese, but I'm not sure that they get enough, and I haven't figured out how to encourage more.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Haidut is spot on, don't trigger release unless you have a plan to get it out consistently once mobilised and clearly you have thought of that, same with mercury, a clean, well-moving bowel is critical and think of this as a priority for months and months, years in fact.
Will try. I've currently rejected ALA and other chelators. My main tactics for bowel are carrot salad most days and a little cascara sagrada most days.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Having had quite a few conversations with dentists, and my own amalgam removed some years ago, observing that and many other reports, I would counsel against bulk removal unless there is another dental problem that requires this. I have seen a lot of problems from amalgam removal overwhelming already fragile states, despite being done as best practice with extraction, Vit C infusions etc. Chelation strategies as largely advertised seem very blunt instruments and, I have seen people get a lot worse due to their use. I think you need tip top health, what we would call 'great energy' to successfully navigate amalgam removal, sometimes it's better to leave as is. The liberated form of mercury after liver processing, methyl-mercury is more dangerous I believe.
Yes. I did read up on amalgam removal and briefly considered it, but I agree the risks ouweigh the likely benefits. I still struggle with figuring out what to do about holes that need filling in awkward places whre the densit says ceramics are unlikely to hold well. So even knowing that mercury is a burden, I've aegreed to more of it in the last coule of years, for want of a good alternative. :(

Sheila said:
post 113462 Also note that everything in our systems is cumulative so it's lead AND mercury to be considered, not just the effect of lead and the effect of mercury. So small levels of each for example, mean greater toxicity when considered together than singly. I hope that makes sense.
Yes. :(

Sheila said:
post 113462 Children will often show higher levels due to high absorption potential of growing systems, if their blood results are lower than yours that's great, but remember that blood tests for lead show ACUTE absorption, current absorption, as the body gets lead out of the blood stream very quickly and into somewhere less immediately harmful, the bones asap, so it is usually a current issue not a latent one that blood tests show. I would always correlate blood lead with other blood tests to see if red and white blood cell production, Hb are affected in any way.

I've just done some DIY soil testing - about a dozen samples round my food producing areas - and not found any obviously high readings. So that leaves me wondering where we've got it from. Maybe I missed some high spots in the garden, or maybe there has been lead in paint being removed somewhere, or maybe it's from some other source. I had convinced myself for a while that it was the year or so of green smoothies made from the weeds in my garden that were a likely culprit.
From what you say, the lead in my highish reading and my kids' ones was either recently acquired, or if older, then it may have been a lot higher at some previous untested time?
I didn't request results for anything else tested at the time for the boys. What is Hb? I assume if there were extreme levels, the GP might have mentioned them, but they can have some pretty generous ranges.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Either way keep dairy up as a buffer (not calcium supplements unless you know they are clean, often they are contaminated with lead, especially 'coral calcium' (!))
I would love to be eating lots of dairy, but I've given up on it for the meantime - I think I've given it plenty of cahances over the last couple of years - various brands and styles of milk and cheese in combination with various other foods. But whenever I edge it up to larger amounts I end up getting unpleasant symptoms and regretting it. So i have a little, but not much.
I assume I've been getting insufficient calcium for many years because of the dairy intolerance. Intermittent supplementation over the years. The last couple of years I've been supplementing oystershell powder (purebulk). I don't know how to find out about the purity/safety of this or other supplements (I've looked at Dan's toxinless page). My previous attempts to make eggshell calcium failed (couldn't get it fine enough in my grinder). Maybe I should have another go at this. I figure aI get a bit of calcium from veges, but don't eat enough for it to be a major source.

Sheila said:
post 113462 and direct chelator wrt continuous absorption.
Are you thinking vit-C or garlic here? I'm eating a little garlic most days the last couple of months, and liking it for other reasons, so I can keep this up. I take a little vit-C (~100-250mg) occasionally, but not regular about it. Trying to avoid taking it with liver and other meat.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Given that it's not just kids showing exposure, but you also, I conclude there is still a current source of lead in your environment, unless health is breaking down (when the body does not have the energy to keep lead out of the blood stream, a very nasty state), blood only really shows current absorption. So a zero level may mean no lead, or no current lead.
I thought I had a good hunch where the lead was coming from, but now I don't know.

Sheila said:
post 113462 That said, children often show higher levels due to their inherently fast metabolisms and that can be due to everyday environmental exposure, rather than any particular lead source.
They don't play in the mud and crawl on teh floor and put quite everything in their mouths now than they used too. Hoping that will reduce exposure. But as above, I haven't figured out if there is a particular source. I know there have been high levels detected in some spots in the neighbourhood, and we had a very dusty windy patch for a while. I'm not up the housework required to keep house dust levels low. Could it be just residual widespread but mostly not extreme residue from the days of leaded petrol?
If blood levels are well down from previous test, I'll be please and conclude that we are not taking in a whole lot more. I've tried unsuccessfully to find figures on what usual backgound blood lead levels are for adults and children. I assume 0 would be good, but I don't know if this is common.
My health has been a pain, but I've not been wasting away, as far as I can tell.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Absolutely get your soil tested if you think that is the source. Paint, old pressed ceilings, lead flashing on roofs (especially if you drink rain water), lead water pipes (old houses), downwind exposure from industrial plants, use of superphosphate fertilisers etc., all can contribute to lead load. I have worked with people who lived near an active lead mine. To have children within 50 miles of that is child abuse.
I think my next step is to do a couple more DIY soil tests on the soil very close to the house, in case there has been lots of old lead paint sanded into the garden.
Not sure what a pressed ceiling is. I sanded off lots of stipple from the ceilings several years ago. I've since heard that there could have been asbestos. Lead there didn't occur to me. Not aware of any relevant local industrial plants, but not sure how I could check this. Pretty sure there's no local lead mining. Don't know if superphosphate was used in this area. We don't drink water off the roof, and I think the water pipes are mostly either older copper or newer plastic.

Sheila said:
post 113462 I have read quite a few reports that garlic raw and cooked (fried) works well but it still has to be tolerated by the individual. If it annoys you, it's not going to have the effect hoped. I suspect garlic is 'in the mix' for its sulphur content, in which case taurine, thiamine, biotin might also be worth a look.
I love garlic, so this is pleasure. :) But the kids object if I put it in their food. I also eat a bit of onion most days, miss it if I don't. I've been wondering if the sulphur is part of why I want it. I suplement biotin and thiamine now, and have taurine here that I keep intending to try more regularly, but so far it's just been very erratic and infrequent. Maybe this is another of my next steps.

Sheila said:
post 113462 Finally, if your children have a tendency to be sickly, look at Vit A status, its effect on strengthening mucous membranes might also be anti-lead (as other materials). Ultimately, the better your energy, the better you can deal with any toxic load.
One of them has had a few susceptibilities - mild asthma, headaches, for a while he was getting stomach aches. The other seems physically robust, though not to keen to focus for long on anything he's not interested in. I can think of other reasons for this too, and too some extend I think it's common kid behavour. Maybe a drop of estroban topical or oral as they please every day or three could be useful?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
tara said:
post 114207 I encourage my kids to eat milk and cheese, but I'm not sure that they get enough, and I haven't figured out how to encourage more.
Chocolate milk comes to mind. But I imagine you already offered that. :lol:

Last edited:

jyb

tara said:
I may have had other exposures, but it is likely that a lot has come from my garden. I'm seriously regretting the year I spent drinking daily green smoothies with lots of various fresh leafy greens from my garden, in the hope of improving my health. Also regret eating and feeding my children my home grown free range eggs for years. When I found out a few months ago that there might be a contamination problem, I stopped eating greens and roots from the garden, and cut back on eating the fruit. My reading so far suggests that fruit picks up a lot less of the lead, and is likely much safer (as long as they are peeled or very thoroughly washed.

Do you know where the lead contamination comes from?

Matt1951

Cilantro is supposed to be good for chelation, although the evidence supporting this is sketchy. Gold is the best for tooth fillings and is well worth the extra cost.

Hugh Johnson

Matt1951 said:
post 114250 Cilantro is supposed to be good for chelation, although the evidence supporting this is sketchy. Gold is the best for tooth fillings and is well worth the extra cost.
Was going to post this.

http://naturalsociety.com/proper-heavy- ... chlorella/

I think it is safe, so you could try this. Also taurine has been shown to reduce damage from heavy metals so you should definitely take some of that.

OP
T

tara

Charlie said:
post 114214
tara said:
post 114207 I encourage my kids to eat milk and cheese, but I'm not sure that they get enough, and I haven't figured out how to encourage more.
Chocolate milk comes to mind. But I imagine you already offered that. :lol:

Yes. :) Also chocolate sauce made from condensed milk They seldom want it. I also offer them milk and fruit smoothies with or without icecream, cheese on pasta and toast and omelettes, and breakfast cereals with milk - the latter is usually the most popular, but they'll eat the others too sometimes. Sometimes I resort to requiements, but I try not to do this too much - that's not enough breakfast unless you drink half a glass of milk with it.

OP
T

tara

Matt1951 said:
post 114250 Cilantro is supposed to be good for chelation, although the evidence supporting this is sketchy. Gold is the best for tooth fillings and is well worth the extra cost.
As a chelator, I wonder if cilantro is one of those things one mucst be prepared to take every day for years to not risk it doing more harm than good?
Hmm, maybe I should investigate gold options - I kind of expect it to be out of budget range, but I should check. I guess it's good because it's so stable/unreactive?

Hugh Johnson said:
post 114265
Matt1951 said:
Was going to post this.

http://naturalsociety.com/proper-heavy- ... chlorella/

I think it is safe, so you could try this. Also taurine has been shown to reduce damage from heavy metals so you should definitely take some of that.
This article seems to confirm the above hazard. I don't know much about chlorella, but I think there has been a bit of opinion here about it having downsides. Wasn't one of the issues that it's hard to be confident that it isn't already contaminated with heavy metals itself?

OP
T

tara

Brian said:
post 114254 High Magnesium levels are likely to be helpful in heavy metal removal.
I eat a little leafy greens most days and supplement magnesium nearly every day (just occasionally forget). Intend to continue with this.

OP
T

tara

jyb said:
post 114215 Do you know where the lead contamination comes from?
I know there has been soil lead contamination in some spots in the neighbourhood. There was market gardening and orchards around hee a few decades ago, and since lead arsenate was a common pesticide up till the sixties, and lead paint on glass bouses was also common, I'm guessing those were sources. I was thinking there could well be some in my garden, and that that's where we got ours. ILeafy greens take it up most intensively, and I'd had a year or so of daily green smoothies from my garden, so I was suspecting that of pushing mine high. But I've recently tested a few soil samples from my gardens and chook run, and not found any extreme levels (hoping my methods were good : leadinpector). So now I don't know. Next thing to check is soil in close to the house, in case it is from old paint. If it's not from that, I'm puzzled, and don't know if we are still being exposed.