Thyroids result help!

Seeweed65

Hi guys,
I’m new to forums so if I’m doing anything wrong please let me know.
I recently had some test done on my thyroids and everything seems to be ok. The only thing that concerns me is that some of the results look to be on the low side and would like to know if this could be resulting in my general low mood depression, fatigue, no libido, and no appetite that I have been faced with over the last 18months.

Thanks in advance if anyone could point me in the right direction.

TOTAL THYROXIN(T4) 89 nmol/L 59-154

THS 1.08 Miu/l 0.27-4.2

FREE THYROXINE 13.9 pmol/l 12-22

FREE T3 4.5 PMOL/L 3.1-6.8

Regards
Stephen

Mittir

RP recommends total T4 and total T3 test. He mentioned that we need reverse T3
to interpret free T3. You can have free T3 in normal range with high reverse T3.
Your TSH is close to ideal and T4 usually suppresses the TSH. In that sense your
TSH is adequate unless something else is keeping your TSH low. In healthy thyroid
function T4 is at the lower end of normal and T3 is at higher end of normal, indicating
higher conversion of T4 to T3.

RP thinks symptoms are more important than thyroid numbers, numbers only
showing the amount of hormones but not their action. Lots of things can
inhibit activity of active thyroid hormones like PUFA, estrogen, cortisol etc.
You can check total cholesterol level to get an idea about your thyroid status.
Measuring temperature and pulse 1 to 2 hours after breakfast gives a good idea
about metabolism. Often regular use of raw carrot salad or cooked bamboo shoots
can normalize hormones by lowering endotoxins, cortisol, estrogen, serotonin etc.
Good amount of carbohydrate with repleted glycogen storage are necessary for
liver to convert T4 to T3. Goitrogenic vegetables can inhibit thyroid hormones.
Excess iodine is also problematic for thyroid. If you are reating seaweed you might
want to stop that to see if that is the cause of thyroid problem.
80 grams of quality protein, selenium , B vitamins are also necessary for good
thyroid function.

OP
S

Seeweed65

Thanks for your reply. My cholesterol was slightly high last time it was checked. As for my pulse I give up on that as it's always running at about 85-90 unless I'm in bed!

80 grams of protein! WOW

Don't realy eat meat but have chicken now and again. An example would be today, I can say that I have had no protein all day. What's your advice on whey protein? Maybe I should give that a go!

Ragards
Stephen

aguilaroja

Seeweed65 said:
...80 grams of protein! WOW

Don't realy eat meat but have chicken now and again. An example would be today, I can say that I have had no protein all day. What's your advice on whey protein? ...

Whey is not recommended:

http://raypeat.com/articles/aging/trypt ... ging.shtml
"Whey has been promoted as a protein supplement, but it contains a slightly higher proportion of tryptophan than milk does. Cheese (milk with the whey removed) contains less tryptophan."
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=583

There is some protein "even" in fruit or orange juice, but profitable food artifacts favor processed carbs. It takes more care to access good quality protein foods. There are different forum topics here with tips and recipes.

www.thyroid-info.com/articles/ray-peat.htm
"Mary Shomon: You feel that chronic protein deficiency is a common cause of hypothyroidism. How much protein should people get (as much as 70-100 grams a day?) and what types of protein, in order to prevent hypothyroidism?

"Dr. Ray Peat: The World Health Organization standard was revised upward by researchers at MIT, and recently the MIT standard has been revised upward again by military researchers; this is described in a publication of the National Academy of Sciences (National Academy Press, The Role of Protein and Amino Acids in Sustaining and Enhancing Performance, 1999). When too little protein, or the wrong kind of protein, is eaten, there is a stress reaction, with thyroid suppression. Many of the people who don't respond to a thyroid supplement are simply not eating enough good protein. I have talked to many supposedly well educated people who are getting only 15 or 20 grams of protein per day. To survive on that amount, their metabolic rate becomes extremely low. The quality of most vegetable protein (especially beans and nuts) is so low that it hardly functions as protein. Muscle meats (including the muscles of poultry and fish) contain large amounts of the amino acids that suppress the thyroid, and shouldn't be the only source of protein. It's a good idea to have a quart of milk (about 32 grams of protein) every day, besides a variety of other high quality proteins, including cheeses, eggs, shellfish, and potatoes. The protein of potatoes is extremely high quality, and the quantity, in terms of a percentage, is similar to that of milk."

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals