23 Y.o Male - Experiencing Intense Night Sweats

jaywills

Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone can help me understand why I am experiencing intense night sweats every night over the last week, and what night sweats indicate for a young male.

I used to experience these extremely frequently when I was major hypo about a year ago - brought on due to: (fasting, eating lots of raw goistrogenic cruciferous vegtables, legumes, low carb, high TSH, eating low calorie - I know shocking right).

Right now I currently eating 3000 kcal diet, 500g carbs from glucose/surcrose/fructose so i doubt its due to low liver glycogen. The sweats disappeared for a year but have returned. In the last week things that have changed are: have not taken my T4 meds, nor any T3, and have began dosing with Progesterone to help combat my estrogen dominance. am I simply reverting to my Hypo symptoms?

Any feedback is hugely appreciated. Many thanks.

answersfound

rly weird. i just started taking progesterone and i am getting the same exact thing. intense night sweats. I'm hoping it will pass after a week. i am a 24 year old male.

LucyL

I am curious why you both are taking progesterone? I thought Peat recommended pregnenolone for males other than in extreme situations.

aguilaroja

jaywills said:
...I am experiencing intense night sweats every night over the last week
Dr. Peat has mentioned in several places that augmenting progesterone can in some cases boost thyroid function, for instance:

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/pr ... ries.shtml

"If a person has an enlarged thyroid gland, progesterone promotes secretion and unloading of the stored “colloid,” and can bring on a temporary hyperthyroid state. This is a corrective process, and in itself isn't harmful. A thyroid supplement should be used to shrink the goiter before progesterone is given. Normal amounts of progesterone facilitate thyroid secretion,.."

There are numerous causes (such as infection) for night sweats. Prolonged and several issues merit prompt medical attention. It would be useful to measure temperature (and pulse) during these episodes and as a baseline. High temperature from high thyroid function is one possibility.

It is not clear from the report how it was decided there is "estrogen dominance", how the choice to use progesterone was made for a young male, what amount is being used and how.
Lacking specifics, a general first approach in a young male might be to reduce sources of estrogenic effects, while supporting digestion and liver function (with general metabolic support).

answersfound

I have low body temperature (in the 97's), cold hands and feet but sweaty, and lots of fatigue, low tolerance for stress so I assume estrogen dominance. i am blindly taking progest-e in hopes that it increases my temp and resolves these symptoms, but honestly i have no clue how much i should be taking.

answersfound

LucyL said:
I am curious why you both are taking progesterone? I thought Peat recommended pregnenolone for males other than in extreme situations.

I've tried pregnenolone but i don't respond well to it.

answersfound

taking a lot of progest-e works very well to cut off the stress response, its pretty amazing. just took like 5-7 drops and now my feet and hands are warm.

is progest-e the type of thing that i take just temporarily?

I'm also taking desiccated thyroid, but waiting on cytomel and hoping i get a better response with that. i think i need to do blood tests

natedawggh

Yes progesterone can definitely be good for men who are experiencing severe health issues.. It will reduce testosterone a bit so it's good to take pregnenolone as well. If you have night sweats and a low body temperature (below 98) at the same time, it's definitely a stress response. It may simply be that your CO2 levels have dropped during the night and the stress hormones have risen. Thyroid can help avert this particular effect more than progesterone, in my experience, but doing everything you can to increase co2 and maintain it will also help. A big meal of potatoes before you go to bed could help, bag breathing, carbonated drinks, acetazolamide (potasium waster... Be cautious), even coffee if you're not prone to insomnia.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
natedawggh said:
Yes progesterone can definitely be good for men who are experiencing severe health issues.. It will reduce testosterone a bit so it's good to take pregnenolone as well. If you have night sweats and a low body temperature (below 98) at the same time, it's definitely a stress response. It may simply be that your CO2 levels have dropped during the night and the stress hormones have risen. Thyroid can help avert this particular effect more than progesterone, in my experience, but doing everything you can to increase co2 and maintain it will also help. A big meal of potatoes before you go to bed could help, bag breathing, carbonated drinks, acetazolamide (potasium waster... Be cautious), even coffee if you're not prone to insomnia.
Yeah, I couldn't handle any added dietary bicarbonates when taking acetazolamide.

tara

jaywills said:
Right now I currently eating 3000 kcal diet, 500g carbs from glucose/surcrose/fructose so i doubt its due to low liver glycogen. The sweats disappeared for a year but have returned. In the last week things that have changed are: have not taken my T4 meds, nor any T3, and have began dosing with Progesterone to help combat my estrogen dominance. am I simply reverting to my Hypo symptoms?
I'm not expert in this, but I'm wondering if were supplementing thyroid to address hypothyroid symptoms, and now you've suddenly stopped supplementing, whether that has dropped you straight back into the hypothyroid state again, with accompanying stress symptoms. I don't know how much you were using, but I think it is often recommended to reduce gradually, so you can monitor the effects and settle at an appropriate dose.
It's not just how much carbs you are eating, but whether you are storing them effectively. Low thyroid is one of the factors that can interfere with this.

answersfound

i do bag breathing and drink plenty of carbonated beverages. i don't think co2 is my issue. thyroid-s doesn't do ***t. nothing ******* works.

docall18

You need to reduce your Progesterone dose to the minimum. Or just stop for a few days and then resume.

I take progesterone, however when i take too much i get night sweats. Not sure why, possibly the progesterone lowering estrogen too much or increasing cortisol too much.

Anyway, men really only need approx 4-6mg per day of TD progesterone. I use source naturals TD prog.

natedawggh

Oh, yeah, I missed that you had stopped taking your thyroid. You are definitely just dropping back into hypothyroid... I don't have any advice for coming off thyroid because I still take it. If you have symptoms then you probably still need to be on it as well, and do some other things to improve your general health.

Progesterone can make you sweat, but if you are sweating and cold, it's not the progesterone. Progesterone should make you warm, and sweat.

Gl;itch.e

for me night sweats trace back to lowering blood sugar. Usually from not eating enough or from having a lot of starchy carbs/minimal fats. Ice cream works well for me as a last meal when I need a lot of carbs and calories.

natedawggh

lookingforanswers said:
rly weird. i just started taking progesterone and i am getting the same exact thing. intense night sweats. I'm hoping it will pass after a week. i am a 24 year old male.

Hey Looking,

I was going back through some of my posts because I feel I was wrong about progesterone for males, a better strategy would be to focus on increasing testosterone and lowering estrogen. Because progesterone can also lower testosterone, it's not ideal for fixing the health of males (though it did cure me of some very serious issues). I would only use it if it specifically accomplishes something for you. if it doesn't seem like it is then don't use it. I have been using pregvnenlone with great results, and have especially found benefit from strictly avoiding alcohol, taking lots of zinc, as well as gelatin, glycine, and taurine (i'm also going to use lysine), niacinamide, natural vitamin E, and keeping my diet limited to good, Peat proteins, dairy, fruit, and potatoes.

Amazoniac

Immune system peaks its action at night, so another point to consider. Just like after you eat a highly toxic meal, your heart starts beating faster, you feel agitated, start sweating and can even get a runny nose.
I don't think that the sweating in your case has to do with toxin elimination, it probably has more to do with dispersing excess heat/energy.

Edit: I don't suggest taking any hormones unless you were in a critical condition or knew for sure what is going on. It is easier to diagnose if you don't add more variables.

answersfound

natedawggh said:
lookingforanswers said:

Hey Looking,

I was going back through some of my posts because I feel I was wrong about progesterone for males, a better strategy would be to focus on increasing testosterone and lowering estrogen. Because progesterone can also lower testosterone, it's not ideal for fixing the health of males (though it did cure me of some very serious issues). I would only use it if it specifically accomplishes something for you. if it doesn't seem like it is then don't use it. I have been using pregvnenlone with great results, and have especially found benefit from strictly avoiding alcohol, taking lots of zinc, as well as gelatin, glycine, and taurine (i'm also going to use lysine), niacinamide, natural vitamin E, and keeping my diet limited to good, Peat proteins, dairy, fruit, and potatoes.

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I think Zinc makes things worse. I'm pretty sure it gives me an adrenaline response. I may just have to get it from foods.

SQu

Oysters for the zinc! And b12, selenium and copper. Last night I had 4 oysters and went from nauseous and liverish to feeling great.

natedawggh

lookingforanswers said:
natedawggh said:
lookingforanswers said:

Hey Looking,

Okay, thanks. Unfortunately, I think Zinc makes things worse. I'm pretty sure it gives me an adrenaline response. I may just have to get it from foods.

If it's doing that you definitely need zinc. Make sure there aren't any toxic additives like silica that could be producing an adverse reaction. Zinc glycinate is really good for you and if it's giving you an adrenaline response it's probably because you are so low on zinc that your body is finally trying to repair itself. Zinc is absolutely necessary, and I have had a great deal of I provement from just using it alone. Food sources are always great though.