Put A Lid On It! Literally

Philomath

I'm certain Dr. Peat has mentioned that people used to sleep with a hat/cap on in order to stay warm, but is it possible to lose nearly a full degree due to being bald?
I covered my clean shaven noodle last night with a Columbia, omni heat skull cap with thermal reflectors. I woke up with a temp of 99 degrees F (digital temple thermometer). I took it off and laid in bed for 3-4 minutes and took my temp again... it was 97.9 degrees!
Before Peating, I was always in the low 97's. Since Peating, I've been consistently in the mid to high 97's. Very rarely do I reach 98's during the day. (Even when pulse reaches 90+ bpm) Could I be losing a significant amount of heat because I shave my head?? Does hair insulate that much?
Any other bald Peaters :lol: out there with similar issues?

mrchibbs

I'm certain Dr. Peat has mentioned that people used to sleep with a hat/cap on in order to stay warm, but is it possible to lose nearly a full degree due to being bald?
I covered my clean shaven noodle last night with a Columbia, omni heat skull cap with thermal reflectors. I woke up with a temp of 99 degrees F (digital temple thermometer). I took it off and laid in bed for 3-4 minutes and took my temp again... it was 97.9 degrees!
Before Peating, I was always in the low 97's. Since Peating, I've been consistently in the mid to high 97's. Very rarely do I reach 98's during the day. (Even when pulse reaches 90+ bpm) Could I be losing a significant amount of heat because I shave my head?? Does hair insulate that much?
Any other bald Peaters :lol: out there with similar issues?

I'm resuscitating this thread after 5 years because I feel like it is super important and interesting.
Anyone with a bald head should sleep with a hat on, and work towards reversing hair loss, I think hair is so important for insulating the brain,
and a warmer brain means a highly functioning brain, and a higher metabolism and a better life, and since so much activity repair is going on
in the brain at night, covering up the head is probably the best thing a bald man can do.

I think Danny Roddy has done good research on this theme:

The Danny Roddy Weblog

Peater Piper

I'm very bald, and I did try experimenting with this in the past. Even a light hat caused me to get uncomfortably hot, to the point that I couldn't sleep.

jzeno

Anecdotal but I am not bald and I wear a normal beanie to sleep. I pull it down low enough to cover my eyes. Serves as a night cap. I've never gotten overheated. I've grown accustomed to it to the point that without the fabric over my eyes I find it hard to sleep. I could probably retrain to sleep without it, but no need so I keep on using it. I originally used it to help reduce sunlight exposure when sleeping in after late work shifts but now I've just grown accustomed to the feeling of having it on.

mrchibbs

I'm very bald, and I did try experimenting with this in the past. Even a light hat caused me to get uncomfortably hot, to the point that I couldn't sleep.

I too have experienced that. But in the winter, with the window open, it's perfect.
I think the room temperature needs to be low enough for good sleep, so maybe
adjusting the temperature just so that wearing a hat becomes comfortable.

mrchibbs

Anecdotal but I am not bald and I wear a normal beanie to sleep. I pull it down low enough to cover my eyes. Serves as a night cap. I've never gotten overheated. I've grown accustomed to it to the point that without the fabric over my eyes I find it hard to sleep. I could probably retrain to sleep without it, but no need so I keep on using it. I originally used it to help reduce sunlight exposure when sleeping in after late work shifts but now I've just grown accustomed to the feeling of having it on.

Interesting, thanks! Apparently my great-grandpa would sleep with a beanie and an icepick under his pillow (in case of intruders).
He may have been on to something. Lived till he was 98, without much health problems at all.

jay123

I did not know this thread existed. I have been wearing a cap now for three weeks after coming across the advice to wear a wool cap. My wife laughs at me every morning when I get out of bed in just my underwear and my hat on...lol..it is a funny look. But seriously......I am forty seven and have had a bald spot on the top of my head since I was in my early thirties. Over the last three weeks I have had the best sleep I have had in years. My temps mid morning have been 98.5 to 98.7! I may look like an underwear burglar when I wake up in the morning but that is fine with me.:):

mrchibbs

I did not know this thread existed. I have been wearing a cap now for three weeks after coming across the advice to wear a wool cap. My wife laughs at me every morning when I get out of bed in just my underwear and my hat on...lol..it is a funny look. But seriously......I am forty seven and have had a bald spot on the top of my head since I was in my early thirties. Over the last three weeks I have had the best sleep I have had in years. My temps mid morning have been 98.5 to 98.7! I may look like an underwear burglar when I wake up in the morning but that is fine with me.:):

I dug up the thread from the dead, it had been dormant since 2014 lol

That's fantastic news man! Those are some healthy morning temperatures.I lost like 75% of my hair in a diffuse way when I was 21-22. Since then, I've had partial recoveries when I was healthier, but overall I've been struggling a lot more with brain function and temperature. Ray has mentioned several times how wearing a cap at night might be beneficial, and Danny Roddy too.

For balding guys, this might be a crucial step to ensure good temperatures, and restorative sleep. It makes all the sense in the world that your sleep is better if you're able to keep the brain temperature up, the restorative processes are probably more effective that way. I wonder when the habit of a night cap went out of fashion, somewhere in the early 60s maybe?

And your wife seems to be having fun with it, that's nice.

jay123

It's a simple fix that can have many health benefits. With all we know from the forum about temperature I'm wearing my nightcap as part of my nightly sleep routine.

meeka

I've been using a thin cotton beanie and a heavier one in the summer when I can't sleep, and I have to say that it definitely makes a pretty big difference. Also this past winter I started wearing a beanie to my desk job, and I was much more mentally sharp and able to get stuff done.

I didn't realize till reading this thread 6 months ago that keeping the body warm itself can be therapeutic

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom