New and in desperate need for help

alpaine

Forum Supporter
Hello, I am relatively new to this forum; I joined a couple years ago but haven't visited it too often - shame on me.
Just a little background on me first: I am 49 y.o. female, seriously overweight, estrogen dominant (I know i was estrogen dominant because i had prolonged menstrual bleeding for years, and when I found Ray Peat's Progest E in 2012, it was the only thing that finally stopped it; still having maintenance dose of Progest-E to this day), stubborn belly fat, diagnosed with Hashimoto a few years ago, was on 2 grains of NDT compounded at the local pharmacy for at least 2 years, had TSH of 0.87 but still had hypo symptoms - low energy, gaining weight, exhaustion, lethargy, low temp and pulse. At the same time i was always hot and sweating, my free T3 were in the top range, so i did not try to increase my NDT dose. My free T4 was in a mid-low range. So that was my situation until 2 months ago when i decided to do something to improve my thyroid status. I signed up for consultations with Dr. Mai Lerche, a student of Ray Peat (listed on his site). She put me on a regime of Cynoplus/Cynomel but i guess we moved too quickly, and it all resulted in extreme stress reaction: I had this constant vibrating pulse in my head, could not sleep for days, profound sweating etc., so i decided to lower the dose. Then the whole hell started: I developed high blood pressure, panic attacks, dizziness, rocking pulse in my head continued... So over last 2 months i've been struggling going on this meds, off these meds, trying to switch back to my natural thyroid, which did not work too. I tried t3 only, 1 mcg with glass of milk and orange juice as R.P. recommends and still had adrenaline reaction so bad that would keep me up all night. I was taking Pregnenalone but it would convert to stress hormones as well, causing the same stress response in the end. On October 8, i got into hospital ER with a panic attack - high blood pressure, high pulse, unable to brief... There a "proper" endo doc told me to discontinue all alternative (illegal) meds i was taking and put me on 50mg of Synthroid. They did the blood test, my TSH went up to 45, very low on ft4, and my antibodies tripled comparing to 8 months ago. First few days were terrible - edema, especially on eye lids and face, depression, high BP, pulse in my head) - then i got a little better and had more energy, then on day 10 I started feeling like overdose, too much T4 - racy, jittery feeling in my arms, head and body, pressure in the chest area, high pulse, low body temp. So i stopped Synthroid for 2 days, did another blood test - and my TSH is still 45 an very low ft4. At the same time i am feeling hyper-like symptoms, unable to sleep, noise in my head, waves of extreme lightness or heaviness in my head and body. It's a long post, so i just say that my diet had been very pro-liver and Peat's like with milk, lots of sugar, protein, liver, shellfish, etc... and i do take aspirin with K, vits A, D, Niacinamide, egg shell calcium and Magnesium every day.
Bottom line is nothing works, and i am feeling horrible, been off work for 3 weeks, and nothing works!!! Nothing helps! I was thinking it's a stress reaction, adrenalin sensitivity but the fact is whatever thyroid medication i take makes me worst. Synthroid did not work, i have a huge stress response to T3, can only take 1/4 grain of Natural thyroid. I don't know what to do anymore.Tried A/C, tried Cypro-Heptadine, just give me a head ache, does not lower stress. Now I found this post: viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3824&p=45868&hilit=hashimoto#p45868
which refers to R. Peat views on Hashimoto and having enlarged gland. This is really excellent information. It made me think that all things i do to improve liver function, improve T4 production may actually back fire, because my thyroid gland is really enlarged now (because of unusual activity of last 2 months), my anti-bodies increased and even ProgestE in a big dose (10 drops at once) does not calm me down or makes me sleepy. Perhaps my gland is overactive now and pumps those hormones out? But if this is the case, why my TSH is so high and very low fT4?
Please can someone explain this to me? I am lost and confused and feeling really horrible. Need help!
Thank you all!

OP
A

alpaine

Forum Supporter
I've never tested for this. but since my issues started with altering thyroid medications i think the thyroid inflammation is now main cause.

OP
A

alpaine

Forum Supporter
Hi again, got my new blood test results yesterday. My TSH is still 45, t4=6.7, t3=3, anti-TPO=233, Thyroglobulin AB=343 - both antibodies increased since last test a month ago. I got very upset. After 10 days of taking Synthroid, i am back were i started, nothing changed. Very sad. I can't take T3 or even NDT because of adrenaline attacks.
My ND gave me Cortef 1/2 pill for 3 weeks, said it's for my adrenals, should make me able to take thyroid meds again. I know R.Peat doe not believe in adrenal fatigue, i don't know if i should take Cortef and Synthroid or what should i do? Please help!

natedawggh

Hey alpaine,

First, take a moment and bag breathe, it will help you calm down. All panic attacks are usually low CO2, and the body tends to hyperventilate during a panic attack which actually lowers CO2 even further. So start bag breathing regularly.

It sounds like you had too much thyroid meds to begin with, and yes, synthroid doesn't really work—I've tried it. But basically the lesson here is that if something isn't working for you, stop trying to make it work. Obviously you're having some kind of reaction to the medication and if I were you I would stop trying this particular route. Progest-E would be the way to go, maybe try upping your dose of it? Or more regularly? Also, please provide your dietary regimen on here, as well as any other supplements you may be taking because it's pretty hard to figure out what's going on without a complete list of what you consume. (Also, please try to write in paragraphs and sentences, that will help us. :) )

ilovethesea

^ Good post. Yes, a list of a typical day's diet, supps, sleep, etc. will really help.

Did you get your RT3 test results yet?

OP
A

alpaine

Forum Supporter
Hi, yes, i see that I make an impression of a crazy person. :) I just wanted to give as much info as possible in one message.

so back to medications, prior to the past 2 months i was on 2 grains of natural dessiacted thyroid. My TSH was 0.87. my body temp and pulse were low, i was lacking energy, always felt tired, lethargic kept gaining weight... 2 Months ago i decided to switch to Cynoplus/Cynomel as per R.Peat recommendations. I tried small doses, no more that 1/2 pill of each /day divided in smaller doses. My body reacted in a way that i had too much energy at first, could not sleep, had nose and vibrating pulse in my head. I tried to lower it down and felt much worse, my bp started jumping up and down, edema, pulsations in me head, etc. Tried to wait a few days to wean off and start Natural Dissecated again but noticed that I developed adrenalin sensitivity. Every time i take NDT or T3, i have this racing sensation and buzzing in my head and can't sleep for ever. At some point in the midst of it i got to the hospital with panick attack - high bp, pulse, difficulty breathing. Taking T3 seems drive my BP up, and cause panic attacks, it also overstimulated my stomach.

The endo doc at the hospital said i have to stop all drugs and put me on 50mcg Synthroid. My husband insisted that i follow "proper" doc's advise. I was taking Synthroid for about 10 days than i felt like overdose with buzzing in my arms, and head, stopped for a few days, then had my blood test taken My TSH is 45, low free t4 and t3. Despite being very hypo, edemic, slow, tired, i cannot sleep and feeling hyper-like after lunch towards evening. i have tremors in my head, twitching eye, and general stressful state.

Here is what my diet like for the past few months at lest:
B/fast: 2 coffee wit milk +2 spoons fructose+1 sp sugar, glass of OJ with 1 tbsp gelatine, 3 eggs fried in coconut oil, a little cheese.
Snack: Milk with salt+fructose, OG with gelatine
Snack: Raw carrot salad with coconut oil, salt, vinegar, coffee
Lunch: minced met or veal chops, or fish or shrimps o liver cooked with coconut oil and potatoes or rice sometimes.
Snack of milk and OJ with gelatine again, some fruits, cheese
Dinner: similar to lunch
Snack: some fruit, coke, milk, OG with gelatine
Recently I also added water from boiling green leafy vegetables.

In a morning i take following with b/fast: 325 mcg Aspirin+2 vit K, 1 B-complex with 200 Niacinamide twice a day, 10,000 vit A, 10,000 vit. D, ProgestE 4-5 drops/3 times a day, 2 Magnesium pills 3 times/day, activated charcoal between meal, 1/2 Cypor-Heptadine at night. Plus now i restarted taking 25 mcg Synthroid and take Ativin as needed for tremors in my head and anxiety.
I tried to take Pregnenolone but it converts into unwanted steroids and makes me feel high and dizzy.

Ny Natural Doc said it's a first time a patient in need of thyroid hormones is unable to take it. He gave me Cortef to calm my adrenals, but after googling in i am not going to take it. I need somehow to calm my pituitary and be able to take natural dessicated thyroid again.

Just to reiterate, I have Hashimoto and my antibodies increased in these pat 2 months.

Any comments would be appreciated.

ilovethesea

Just found this quote from Ray.

[HIGH HEART RATE AFTER T3] I think regular use of the pregnenolone might help. Are you getting enough milk, and salting your food to taste? Do you have some sea food regularly? (For trace minerals.)
Have you tried taking the small amounts of T3 at different intervals, sooner until the symptoms are gone, then longer intervals until they return? TSH is likely to be high early in the morning, and as it subsides during the day the amount of T3 needed might decrease.

OP
A

alpaine

Forum Supporter
@Sea, Hi, i think this site was down for a couple days, i could not get on it. I can't take pregnenalone, it converts into unwanted steroids and i feel high for 2 days from 1 pill of it, can't sleep. T3 gives me very strong adrenaline attacks, even when taken with food. I try to drink a lot of milk but i m unable to drink 2 quarts as R.P. recommends, i eat some cheese to compensate. I realized yesterday that i probably eat too much protein and too little carbs, although i drink 4 glasses of OJ per day, coca cola and eat 4-5 of fructose. There are just no ripe good fruit in Montreal at this time of year. I try to eat potatoes every day. I noticed that even taken vit A and D gives me reaction now, "hyper-like" symptoms. I am so desperate , it seems that nothing works, i react to everything even progestE, and my 25 mcg of Synthroid given me hyper symptoms today. I don't know what to do, i forgot when i had relaxing sleep, and when it was quiet inside my head, no noise, pulse or tremors. This is so frustrating... And my rt3 is not out yet... sorry for whining...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
alpaine said:
@Sea, Hi, i think this site was down for a couple days, i could not get on it.

My apologies. I totally borked the forum upgrade. We are back now though. :mrgreen:

miko

What is your other lab results?

Glucose, blood, electrolytes, 17-oh progesterone, DHEA, androstenedione, cortisol, ACTH? You should test your adrenals with CT. You can test your 24-hour urine collection for adrenaline metabolites or other steroid metabolites.

ilovethesea

alpaine said:
@Sea, Hi, i think this site was down for a couple days, i could not get on it. I can't take pregnenalone, it converts into unwanted steroids and i feel high for 2 days from 1 pill of it, can't sleep. T3 gives me very strong adrenaline attacks, even when taken with food. I try to drink a lot of milk but i m unable to drink 2 quarts as R.P. recommends, i eat some cheese to compensate. I realized yesterday that i probably eat too much protein and too little carbs, although i drink 4 glasses of OJ per day, coca cola and eat 4-5 of fructose. There are just no ripe good fruit in Montreal at this time of year. I try to eat potatoes every day. I noticed that even taken vit A and D gives me reaction now, "hyper-like" symptoms. I am so desperate , it seems that nothing works, i react to everything even progestE, and my 25 mcg of Synthroid given me hyper symptoms today. I don't know what to do, i forgot when i had relaxing sleep, and when it was quiet inside my head, no noise, pulse or tremors. This is so frustrating... And my rt3 is not out yet... sorry for whining...

I think cheese is fine instead of the milk. Or pressed cottage cheese (with no gums) or Greek yogurt. Ice cream would be great too!

Yes, I agree with you on the carbs. I just wrote you on the other forum about the sugar.... I wouldn't be afraid of it. Again, strongly recommend going up to 1 cup at least. I add sugar to milk, to coffee, over yogurt. It's pretty easy to get up to the 1 cup a day. We need plenty of sugar to keep glycogen stores up in the liver - for thyroid hormone production and conversion.

I don't think fructose powder is recommended. I know ripe fruit is a challenge but can you find grapes at least? I would even eat berries - I know they're not 100% Peatish because of the seeds, but you need calories right now. I would eat as much as you can of the foods you do tolerate, and have small meals all day long...

You eat potatoes... have you tried the Ray Peat potato protein soup? I think if you search this forum there is a recipe, and stories of people who recovered well on that - I remember someone had the same problem as you with reacting to everything.

Are you taking cypro to help you sleep? What about slowly building up your T3 by 1mg dose per day? (instead of NDT taking T3 and T4 separately)

Just thought of something else... have you ever had cholesterol measured?

"When people have abnormally low cholesterol, I think it's important to increase their cholesterol before taking thyroid, since their steroid-forming tissues won't be able to respond properly to thyroid without adequate cholesterol." Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals