Bowel issues...again.

c093

Just wondering if anyone has advice for very severe constipation. I am still suffering this even after trying just about every Peat-friend suggestion (cascara, anti-histamines, cyproheptadine, magnesium, dried prunes, dates, and everything else).
My issue is so severe now it is causing further up hemorrhoids and bleeding everytime I go. Sometimes there is mucus (or pus). I have seen GI. Been diagnosed with IBS-C and diverticulitis. I have been perscribed antispasmodics, laxatives. Nothing is really helping to make me regular and to soften my stool consistently. It seems I am actually getting worse too :| I also have avoided wheat for some time, but still eat rice occassionally. Over all
I eat pretty clean. Cheese, milk, butter, fruit (peeled, cooked), well cooked potatoes with butter, liver, oysters, eggs, shellfish, some chocolate and corn tortilla/polenta occassionally. I started taking NDT as I had a bad result with cynomel (anxiety). Take vitamin E on and off as well as K2. Recently I started drinking apple juice. I also have been drinking coffee for years, even pre-Peat. Anyone have any insight as to why my body seems to be stealing water from my waste? :|
I am desperate and open to any and all suggestions at this point. I just really would like the daily bleeding to stop. Senna tea helps me go but with cramps and still the stool is hard and there is blood. Sorry for tmi.

tara

Hi,
I'm not expert on this, but here are some toughts.

Did you have the same problem with whatever you were eating before you started your current foods? Can you identify when the trouble began and what you were doing then?

For some people inflamation shrinking the internal diameter of the gut seems to arise from particular foods that irritate their gut. Which foods can vary from person to person. If you can figure out which foods are irritating and which are ok at the moment, you can build on that. I've heard that some people find cheese slows them down, and some people react to particular fruits. Some people do well on potatoes, others not. The tricky thing is not to get so restrictive as to worsen malnourishment - you can't just keep taking food away without replacing it with something else. Mittir has a number of good posts on this topic, so if you haven't already, you could check them out.

Another possible contributor to slow movement for some people is too little food. Gastroparesis and slowed gut peristalsis can help get more nourishment out of the food. I'm not speaking from experience, but for some people it seeems that if low calorie intake was causing the slow down, then it takes increasing calories to improve it, though it can take a while and be uncomfortable.

People seem to respond differently to different forms and quantities of magnesium, so if you've only tried one kind, you could try different forms. People also seem to vary in how much cascara they need to make a difference.

If I've understood it right, cyproheptadine can help counter gut inflammation, which is helpful. It also has some anti-serotonin effects, so if peristalsis was being driven by serotonin, reducing it can slow things down. Too much serotonin in the system has other negative effects, so people here (including me) often try to reduce it, but I wonder if this can sometimes be a side-effect, when the gut isn't working optimally anyway.

Personally, I sometimes have slight constipation, but seldom severe. In the past on occasion I've been known to resort to a few ripe kiwi fruit to keep things soft and moving. I'm not sure what it is that has the effect - fibre, serotonin, or something else in them.

Can you identify any safe foods that seem to go down OK?

HDD

Just wondering if anyone has advice for very severe constipation. I am still suffering this even after trying just about every Peat-friend suggestion (cascara, anti-histamines, cyproheptadine, magnesium, dried prunes, dates, and everythin

>>>>Aspirin? Benadryl? Milk of Magnesia? Magnesium bicarbonate drink? Aloe Vera juice?

>>>> What cascara did you use? Did you make a tea? If you make a tea, did you try a stronger brew?

My issue is so severe now it is causing further up hemorrhoids and bleeding everytime I go. Sometimes there is mucus (or pus). I have seen GI. Been diagnosed with IBS-C and diverticulitis. I have been perscribed antispasmodics, laxatives. Nothing is really helping to make me regular and to soften my stool consistently. It seems I am actually getting worse too I also have avoided wheat for some time, but still eat rice occassionally. Over all
I eat pretty clean. Cheese, milk, butter, fruit (peeled, cooked), well cooked potatoes with butter, liver, oysters, eggs, shellfish, some chocolate and corn tortilla/polenta occassionally.

>>>>Maybe eat less cheese, more milk?

. I started taking NDT as I had a bad result with cynomel (anxiety).

>>>> What is your pulse and temperature? As your metabolism increases, peristalsis improves. How about using caffeine, aspirin, Niacinamide combo to boost metabolism? Have you tried Vo S small dose supplements throughout the day?

Take vitamin E on and off as well as K2.

>>>>Why not daily? How about supplementing coconut oil?

Recently I started drinking apple juice. I also have been drinking coffee for years, even pre-Peat.
Anyone have any insight as to why my body seems to be stealing water from my waste?
I am desperate and open to any and all suggestions at this point. I just really would like the daily bleeding to stop. Senna tea helps me go but with cramps and still the stool is hard and there is blood. Sorry for tmi.

Slappy Hands

Good morning.

It's pretty simple advice, but if you want to improve bowel function, go back to the basics. Fiber.

Inflammation, supplements and other things may have causal affects, but based on your diet, you're eating like 99% protein, 1% fiber so it's not surprising that you're having difficulty, you know?

You said you've tried high fiber foods, but have you used them in conjunction with a low protein diet, just while you get things moving again?

There's also coconut oil. It's not a powerful laxative that I know of, but it does improve bowel function - it's one of the reasons it's specifically advised against when using fat soluble supplements, because it can limit assimilation due to it's affect on the GI tract.

There's also enemas. Fairly painless and they can offer instant relief, though they won't prevent it from happening again unless you adjust the source of the discomfort. about 1.5 litres of warm water (and maybe a little salt to improve intestinal hydration...though check that online first) up your pooper should flush you out fairly efficiently - though if you're worried about pain or pressure due to the severity, it may be best to speak with your doc first? I know over here, they don't recommend them at all because they don't come in NHS pill form.

OP
C

c093

hi thank you all for your messages.

Tara, I am not sure which food is agravating my système if it is one isolated thing.
I only had the C issue beginning a year ago.
Before that my issues were always sévère D if I was having any kind of flare up or réaction to something. this was solved for the most part by upping protein and quality, as well as removing pufas and wheat... Or it seemed so. I guess i have been reluctant to make any major changes because peating has helped so many other things: skin, concentration, memory recall and more.
Oddly enough, in spite of my issuesnow, I am not bloated at all.

Thank you HDD for offering ideas. Coconut oil i have tried and it doesnt seem to make a difference now.

Thanks slappy hands for the fibre reminder. In the past too much always gave me D.
Maybe now i need more though?
Perhaps it is still an estrogen issue related to transit time.
I am going to consider the wheat bran study in another thread.

The only thing that concernes me immediately is stopping the bleeding.
Hopefully i can determine how to alleviate that and not agrravate it more. :/

3Kids

Hi HDD
Hope that your issue is doing better. :D It sounds like your diet is pretty good and it is a great idea to avoid the grains.

I can't remember if you said that you were taking a probiotic or not but I think that you should definably consider it. I have tried lots of different ones and that one that I have used for a while now is the one from Trader Joe's.

Also if your body can handle it, start adding some psyllium husk as well. But make sure to get organic because there are lots of pesticides used on non-organic psyllium husk.

Other supplements that may help would be:

Cascara Sagrada for when you really need help but it is not for long term use:
I like this one because it doesn't have lots of other additives: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RYAHWKK/?tag=rapefo-20
and
Aloe Vera for of a more gentle push that can be used over a longer period of time.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SLTZ89U/?tag=rapefo-20

Hope that helps.
Cheers
3Kids

M

member 2106

Coffee was the problem for me. I've been in denial about it for a long time, because I love the stuff so much, but taking a break from it dramatically improved my bowel function, and whenever I have a cup, the problems return. You might want to consider this.