Misdiagnosed Hypothyroidism (low T3 Syndrome) My Findings

Cm00

There wasn't really enough room in the subject box to write a full title of my situation but I've included the most relevant bits.

First, about me - I am a 30 year old man, I exercise frequently, by going to the gym to do weight training and sometimes I'll do sprinting but. Not so much recently though. I am physically very fit. I live in England, UK.

4 years ago I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. At the time I was going to the gym a lot (by a lot I mean doing full body workouts 3 times a week). I also did not take a break from the gym for about a year. For the first several months I got fitter and stronger but the last several months my health declined and I became very ill. It's only now that I realise this could be a seasonal thing, to do with sunlight, or more specifically the lack of sunlight during winter, but I will take more on that later.

(The main thing I get that really bugs me is this red/dry skin area on the right side of my lip, it's almost exclusively on the right side, though occasionally it happens on the left side for a brief time too. It can lasts for months sometimes and all I know about it so far is that I assume it is related to stress. I am sure that is related to my whole health issue, whatever it is, it would be great if someone knows something).

The latter part of that year of going to the gym I stopped getting stronger in my workouts. Then I started getting weaker, and I felt tired often, and my mood was low and I became irritable. I kept up the exercise, eventually I started to feel horribly physical sick at my workouts, to the point of throwing up. Before long my hair started to fall out. That's when I went to the doctor to ask for help.

They did some blood tests, and when finished they called me in about the results. These were the results, as you can see, my TSH is raised but my T4 is a very good 17.9, normal for someone who is not on thyroid meds.

TSH 10 high (ref range 0.5 - 4.5)
Free T4 17.9 normal (ref range 12 - 22)

They told me I have hypothyroidism. Back then I'd never heard of it, so I had no knowledge on the subject. I asked them what could have caused it and if they can cure it. They told me they don't really know what causes it but in the majority of cases it's an autoimmune disease and there's no cure. They said it's easy to treat though. It seemed odd they would go by assumption that it was an autoimmune disease without a test to confirm it. I asked them if they would test for the autoimmune disease but they refused, they said it is almost ways autoimmune disease so there is no point in testing. I just accepted their word for it.

I know the symptoms list for hypothyroidism is very long. Most of them I do not have, and in many cases I am the opposite. For example people feeling cold, I don't get that, I usually feel too warm if anything. I do have low mood and irritability though.

They put me on a small dose of thyroxine, 25m. I was to be retested every 6 weeks, they also said to take a break from exercise, so I stopped going to the gym.

6 weeks later they retested. TSH 8, free T4 19. They told me this is good, it shows it is working. I didn't feel much different. They raised my dose to 75mg

6 weeks later they retested, TSH 5, Free T4 21. I still didn't feel any difference. Raised dose to 100mg

6 weeks more pass. TSH 3, Free T4 23. I had been reading a lot about hypothyroidism and saw that many with hypothyroidism felt better with a TSH less than 1, so we kept raising the dose. 150mg

6 more weeks. TSH 1.5, Free T4 25. New dose 200mg

6 weeks. TSH <1, Free T4 27

I started going to the gym again now, and I just felt horribly sick again, there was no improvement. All this time wasted taking this mediciation and I was still feeling crappy, getting ill from exercise, and irritable in general.

Throughout all of this I was doing lots of research online, this was 4 years ago though, and there was a lot less information regarding the complexities of thyroid disorders back then, most of it seemed to be about primary hypothyroidism, which I later realised was not relevant to me at all.

Then I found somewhere, there was more to it than just T3, T4 and TSH. I found out and read a lot about reverse T3, and how if high, can cause what I seemed to be experienced, normal t4, mostly non specific symptoms and a slightly raised TSH. I asked my doctor for a reverse T3 test but he had never heard of it and said the NHS don't do that one.

I found a lab that does it privately, they do a full thyroid panel, including both antibody tests to see if you have an autoimmune disease. I paid for the full thyroid panel. I was still on the thyroxine at the time. TSH normal, T4 normal, T3 normal, reverse T3 high.

Now I knew something more, I have high reverse T3. I started to read about how to fix it, all I could really find was that you should reduce stress, and perhaps get a saliva adrenal test. So I paid for the adrenals test. I had to give saliva samples at 4 periods throughout the day. I got the results, they were all bad, my cortisol was very low, way below reference range, throughout the entire day.

Armed with this information, I decided to focus on dealing with stress in my life, and take more time to relax. I did start to feel a bit better from it, but it wasn't a huge difference really, I didn't feel that great. They continued to monitor tsh and t4 every 6 weeks for a long time.

TSH 0.01, Free T4 27+. I had read that perhaps I shouldn't be on thyroxine at all. My T4 levels put me into the range of having an overactive thyroid, I now found I couldn't sleep properly, or for long. If you remember, my Free T4 was normal when they diagnosed me, it seemed odd to give me more T4 if my T4 is already normal.

I decided to stop taking the thyroid meds. First we reduced my dose by half, to 100mg. TSH stayed within range and my free T4 dropped a bit to 22 but still very high. 12 weeks after cutting the dose in half, I stopped taking the thyroid meds completely.

And nothing happened. I started to sleep better but other than that I didn't feel any different.

6 weeks later they tested me again. TSH was like 15 and my Free T4 was down to 13-14, near the low end of the range. I felt OK though, didn't feel any difference at all. My TSH was never this high, 15, but I figured my body adapting to the sudden withdrawal of thyroid meds.
So I waited 6 more weeks for the next blood test.

TSH 7 Free T4 16 - Everything seemed to be returning to normal. I continued to take it easy and waited 6 more weeks.

TSH 5 Free T4 17 - Officially almost within range for the TSH test and my free T4 was completely normal again. I had been on thyroid meds for over a year, and felt no better on it. There was the worry that my thyroid would never return to normal but it was as if I had never gone on the thyroid meds at all.

There was one problem. I still didn't feel that great.

I just accepted that perhaps there was just nothing wrong with me at all, maybe I just had too much of a negative attitude and that's why I felt irritable, so I read a little about being positive and tried that, it didn't help.

My doctor even sent me to an endocrinologist, this endo specifically was a world leading endo on thyroid disorders and had even published on it.

The endo didn't do any tests, he just asked me questions, like a psychologist would. His decision was that I had subclinical hypothyroidism and there was nothing to be done about it, he recommended I go on anti-depressants. I refused.

They continued testing my TSH and T4 for a long time, even though I wasn't on the meds any more. I was hoping my TSH might go back to the normal range naturally. But it never did, it went as low as 4.7, usually hovering between 4.7 and 6. My free T4 always came back normal, between 16-17.

I had practically given up on this, I felt that there was no solution and I just have to accept I am the way I am and that I will probably never know why my TSH is always raised just a little.

I got back into exercising again, at first I was trying to lose fat, so I was dieting and lifting weights. I actually dieted too hard, and cut fats too low. After several months I had lost a lot of weight, down from 13 stone to about 10 stone which is not much for a man. I had started doing this intermittent fasting, and I was combining it with a low calorie intake. I actually lost all sex drive, could not get erections, and just felt weak and exhausted all the time.

Because I had lost my libido I suspected low testosterone so I read a bit about it and realised that I had cut calories and more specifically fats too low. I had my doctor check my testosterone with a blood test and it what as as I suspected, very low. My free testosterone was 5 and the range is 13 to 27. I had the testosterone of a 100 year old man. I told the doctor I would try to fix this through diet and I had already read about what I needed to do if the test confrimed my testosterone was low.

I started eating lots more food, more specifically fatty foods. I got my fat intake really high, I started using virgin coconut oil to cook my foods, I was eating beef and eggs every day, full fat greek yoghurt, avacados, etc. I stopped doing the steady state cardio (walking up hill to burn calories) as I read it is no good for testosterone. I started sprinting instead, one or twice a week, I would do a set of sprints, it only took about 15 minutes each time. I also started to sunbathe, I started to feel a lot better.

6 weeks later they tested my testosterone again. 28! the reference range is 13-27. I was right at the top of the range, 1 over actually. My doctor couldn't believe it. Everything I had done was working. After seeing the dramatic results with my testosterone my doctor suddenly agreed that perhaps I do not have hypothyroidism after all, perhaps it's something about my lifestyle that is causing it. This had fixed my testosterone problem, though the thyroid problem remained unsolved.

The healthiest I have ever been.

It was spring when this happened, about March/April. We had a lot of nice sunny days, as I said I had just started sunbathing a lot. Over that summer, I was the healthiest I have ever been. Anywhere I went I found myself leaping up onto high walls and jumping off. I had so much energy, I looked and felt so good, the best I have looked and felt. I had comments from people about how I got so healthy. It was like a new me, the best me I have ever been, and it lasted all summer, from April until September. There's no way I have an underactive thyroid and yet felt that good and healthy without treatment.

By September I had to stop sunbathing as the weather was no longer suitable. I didn't get much sun at all actually.

One thing I will note, I don't get outside much usually. A few years prior to all of this I had the doctor test me for vitamin D deficiency as I suspect I could be low. It came back low, not extremely low but it wasn't adequate.

By around October I stopped feeling so good, I was gradually feeling worse and that summer high of feeling the best I had ever felt was gone, I was back to my normal, irritable self.

That summer was one year ago, the summer before the one we just had. I tried to repeat that summer with the one we just had and I did have some success with it although I didn't get to the level of how good I felt last year. I didn't do everything the same though. This summer I didn't get so much chances to sunbathe so I had a lot less sun. I was also fasting for much of this last summer, only eating between the hours of 2pm and 10pm (8 hours eating, 16 hours fasting) though I was eating a lot of food, I wasn't dieting. I also didn't have any coconut oil this summer.

It's October again now and the weather is no good for sunbathing. I feel extra crappy in fact, very irritable. That red/dry area on the side of my lip is worse than ever and had been persistantly bad for the last 2 months. I feel very stressed a lot of the time.

I haven't had a thyroid test in a while but I had my doctor check it 2 weeks ago. TSH 7, free T4 15. That's a little worse than usual, but I didn't expect a good result with how I feel.

My doctor had suggested I go back on the thyroid meds. I don't think I should. I went through all this before, it didn't help, I stopped taking them. I actually got the healthiest I have ever been last year and I wasn't on thyroid meds. I don't think thyroid meds are the answer.

From all of the information I have given it should be possible to work out what is going on here. Here is the main differences.

I am not getting much, if any sunlight now, I am probably vitamin D deficient. I didn't get much sun this past summer either.
I am not using coconut oil any more, because it is expensive and I am not sure that was what helped me, it's more likely the sunlight that did it. Right now I can't be certain, or perhaps it was both.
I was fasting these past few months. I have read this can cause high reverse T3, so I stopped fasting too.

That summer I got really healthy I logged everything I did, like a wellness journal. I also kept food sheets detailing the exact foods and quantities i ate every day, with carb, protein and fat amounts included.

This is still ongoing for me, it seems at least that a lack of sunlight is what is causing my health issues, and perhaps my high reverse T3. I have thought about getting another thyroid panel to have reverse t3 checked but it is very expensive so I am not sure if I will.

I am bit stuck with what to do as I think sunlight is the key to my good health and I can't really get much time in the sun now due to poor weather.
I have read that vitamin D3 doesn't have the same effect as sunlight and in my experience it doesn't, so supplementation seems worthless too. It just seems odd that I need a significant amount of time in the sun to be healthy, like that is the key to good health for me, which isn't possible during winter months.

My doctor doesn't seem to be any use with this. As far as he is concerned, my thyroid is the problem. Even though my free T4 is normal and tsh is just a little raised. He just says it means my thyroid isn't working properly the TSH signal is stronger to compensate. That could be the case in autoimmune disease, but I tested negative for antibodies. I am given no good medical advice and left to navigate this issue myself. It also doesn't explain why I get so healthy when I sunbathe a lot.

I hope this information will help someone else.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It also doesn't explain why I get so healthy when I sunbathe a lot.

Fresh air, away from electronics, some vitamin D and a whole lot of c-cytochrome oxidase.

Last edited by a moderator:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Have you tried supplementing red light?

OP
C

Cm00

I haven't no, haven't heard of it. I try to always stick to the most basic things, natural things really, because everything seems to come right when you do things the natural way. There is one key thing i forgot to mention, I use computers a lot, and I have quite a lot of computers around me while i work.

This is what I am presuming is happening with me, my theory: I will explain this in a very basic way.

I like to exercise, go the gym, I have some muscle on me, not a freakish amount but a fair bit, I look normal, natural really, not like a steroid user who looks pumped up and unnatural. When you are exercising, muscle building, everyone knows you need good nutrition. If you are training and do not eat enough calories, you become ill. Food is an energy source.

As with food, sunlight is an energy source, we need it to be healthy and ultimately we would die without it. So during the non summer months when it's hard to get adeuqate sunlight, you are low on this energy source. Like food, you need adequate nutrition when you are training and this includes the energy you get from the sun.

It makes sense since I look and feel so good during the summer, but when winter comes i just get so unhealthy, and my diet is good, during this period it doesn't matter how healthy I eat, I will not feel good. During the summer I sunbathe a lot but during the winter I am inside most of the time, barely getting out at all. There's just enough energy to meet basic needs. I guess it's not enough to train. So every winter I suffer from deficiency of sunlight, my vitamin D is low, and when I train, it just makes me more ill, the body doesn't have the energy to use. I really don't get out enough during the winter, spend too much time inside. Coupled with training I guess it's the root cause behind my health issue.

I don't know if there is something more to this. What I really worry about now is that during winter it will be impossible to get adequate sunlight to feel healthy. Even if I stop training, I think I will still feel down and irritable. I don't know a solution. I thought of vitamin D3 pills but i've tried it before, they didn't help, it doesn't seem to have the same effect as the sun, and there are studies that show this, and that it may even be harmful to take vitamin D supplements.

Just don't know what i can do.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
The only way I know to make up for a light deficiency is to supplement light. Or I guess you can migrate with the sun.

HDD

Excess stress (which can block progesterone synthesis and elevate estrogen) may bring on symptoms in someone who never had them. Spending a summer in Alaska, with an unusually long day, may relieve the symptoms of a chronic sufferer. Dark cloudy winters in England or the Pacific Northwest are powerful stressors, and cause lower production of progesterone in women, and testosterone in men. Toxins can produce similar symptoms, as can nutritional deficiencies. A very common cause of an estrogen excess is a dietary protein deficiency--the liver simply cannot detoxify estrogen when it is under-nourished.
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/pr ... ries.shtml

It was just posted in the love thread that k2 is a safe supplement to raise testosterone.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Nothing can really completely compensate for the lack of sunlight many of us experience during the winter months but I think red light, as Charlie mentioned, is definitely worth trying since you seem very sensitive to lack of light. There's lots of information here on the forum about red light. I know how important natural is to you but even farmers use brooding lights to help their animals thrive when necessary. For an investment of less than $20.00 USD I was able to buy what I needed to start experimenting with supplemental red light. Last winter was the first year I used the brooding lights and it was the best winter I've had since childhood. The computers put out a lot of blue light that isn't balanced with the red and yellow spectrums like sunlight so that could possibly be bothering you a bit too. I also purchased some cheap glasses with orange lenses that I wear from dusk until bedtime when using the computer or watching television.

ilovethesea

Have you measured your pulse and temps upon rising and before and after meals to get a more accurate picture of your thyroid status? (If you've read Ray's thyroid articles then you know he doesn't think the blood tests are reliable.) Also even if your temperature seems ok it could be from stress hormones... if it goes down after a meal thats an indicator temps were elevated from stress. Your TSH of 7 is concerning, it should be at least under 1, ideally 0.4 or less according to Ray.

I'm unclear from your story - did you get confirmation in a blood test that you did indeed have an RT3 problem?

OP
C

Cm00

Yes, a blood test showed that I have high RT3. I only ever had it tested once though, as they don't usually do the RT3 test in England, you have to go to a lab yourself to get it here. I haven't taken my temps or pulse, I could though, I have a device for pulse taking. I think there is nothing wrong with my thyroid itself though.

So what is red light therapy, is it different to bright light therapy? I want to try this. Most of what I can find says I should try bright light therapy as it is effective for seasonal affective disorder.

tara

Light in a range of wavelengthes from orange to near infrared reactivates the cytochrome oxidase enzyme. This enzyme is crucial for a step in efficient cellular energy production. It gets rn down during darkness. Red light therapy is different from bright light therapy often used against SAD, which generally has more light in the blue end of the spectrum, and little infra-red.

Peat has recommended strong incandescents with clear glass as a good source. Some people on this forum try to get extra red light (ie orange- infrared), sometimes in the evening and especially in winter. There are some long threads about it, with discussion of wavelengths and products, if you search for red light.

I used strong halogens occasionally last winter - I'd sit at the computer with them shining on my bare shoulders, close enough to keep me warm for half an hour or more. I think it made a difference when I did it. Halogens may not emit as good a spectrum as incandescents.

Red light does not help produce vit D - you need a bit of UV for that.

Sunshine is good, when you can get it.

ilovethesea

Cm00 said:
Yes, a blood test showed that I have high RT3. I only ever had it tested once though, as they don't usually do the RT3 test in England, you have to go to a lab yourself to get it here. I haven't taken my temps or pulse, I could though, I have a device for pulse taking. I think there is nothing wrong with my thyroid itself though.

A TSH of 7 would indicate otherwise :(

If you have an RT3 problem then not surprising you didn't do well on the T4. Some T3, along with the dietary changes in general, would help correct it. Some people go on T3 only to clear out the RT3 (they say it takes 6 weeks) or some stay on T3 alone, although I've not heard of Ray recommending the latter.

Quotes below from Ray:

Reverse T3

Yes, it's probably induced by stress, with cortisol inducing the type of deiodinase that makes the inactive rT3. A low sugar diet can cause chronically high cortisol. If you are eating enough fruit and protein, I think the T3 of natural thyroid will help to correct the stress/inflammatory metabolism that is connected with the reverse T3.

There isn't any natural T3 product, in the sense of biologically created, but the activity of T3 is so great that the effective dose, of a few micrograms, couldn't introduce a significant amount of industrial junk; the excipients are the main concern, and whether the people making the tablets understand what they are doing. Cytomel and Cynomel, so far, have been very well made, and there isn't any other T3 product that I trust.

Stress hormones are responsible for raising reverse T3, and just supplementing T3 is seldom enough to normalize the stress hormones, so continued use of large doses can maintain improved functioning, but at the risk of developing problems from the continued excess of those hormones.

[HIGH STRESS HORMONES ON THYROID INCREASES SENSITIVITY TO THEM?] Not necessarily, but it's something to watch for. The daily temperature cycle is helpful, if stress is low, there will be a strong cycle, lowest at night, early morning.

[THYROID NOT ENOUGH TO LOWER STRESS HORMONES] Yes, the diet is an essential part of normalizing them. The climate is important, too.

OP
C

Cm00

What I mean is, I don't think my thyroid is at fault here. Meaning I don't have an autoimmune disease attacking the thyroid, I don't have primary hypothyroidism. Something else is going wrong and because everything is linked it has an effect on everything else, hence my normal T4, raised TSH and high reverse T3.

I know that during the summer I get really healthy and for half a year i can forget about all of this, I feel great during that time. Then winter comes and I get very unhealthy again.

I wasn't on any medication during the spring and summer when I became very healthy. Perhaps that is a sign that medication is not the answer here? I don't know.

I believe they do not even prescribe T3 in the UK.

If the problem is the thyroid, what problem could it be? Remember I've been tested for antibodies, both types, twice, I don't have an autoimmine problem. And if the problem was the thyroid itself it again does not explain why I get so healthy during spring and summer. The main difference in my lifestyle between winter and summer is that I barely get outside at all during winter, whereas in the summer I will sunbathe and get lots of sun.

Jennifer

Cm00 said:
(The main thing I get that really bugs me is this red/dry skin area on the right side of my lip, it's almost exclusively on the right side, though occasionally it happens on the left side for a brief time too. It can lasts for months sometimes and all I know about it so far is that I assume it is related to stress. I am sure that is related to my whole health issue, whatever it is, it would be great if someone knows something).

Cm00, I'm sorry if you already mentioned this, but did the red patch go away during that summer you sunbathed? I wonder if you have psoriasis or dermatitis, since I assume you'd know if it were a cold sore. I have an uncle who has really bad psoriasis and he goes to a tanning bed to keep it from flaring.

If the patch were some kind of fungal infection, you could try putting a flowers of sulphur paste on it to see if it goes away. To make the paste just mix some flowers of sulphur with water.

But it does sound like your basic issue stems from a lack of sunlight and the fasting bug that infiltrated your brain for a bit. It's good that you got that out of your head. Hopefully, with some light and consistent eating throughout the day, you'll start feeling better. :)

OP
C

Cm00

The red patch went away all summer and comes back around several weeks after I stop going in the sun, usually around september/october.

A few days ago I decided to try something. I have some 5000iu vitamin D3 capsules. I was taking them during last winter but they didn't seem to help. I read you can get 20,000 or even 40,000 iu of vitamin D very quickly from the sun. So I figure that in the case of someone like me, who isn't really getting any sunlight at all, perhaps 5000iu a day isn't enough. I'm aware that's well above the RDA but the RDA for vitamin D supplements is known to be very conservative. One thing I am dead sure about, I am very low in vitamin D right now.

I am testing for just 2 weeks taking 5 of these 5000iu vitamin D3 capsules per day, 3 in the morning, 2 in the afternoon. That's 25,000 iu, closer to what we'd get from the sun. One capsule a day didn't seem to work before so this is at least worth a shot. Although it's more than the recommended amount, i've read that this amount is safe to take, as long as you don't keep taking it for a long period. I found the official NHS recommendations for how to deal with low vitamin D and they tell doctors to give people with low vitamin D levels 50,000IU a day for 7 days to bring the levels back up and then drop to a lower dose to maintain a healthy level.

It has been about 3 days since I started doing this, and so far the red area on my lip has cleared up, it was a lot better even after the first day. However I am not celebrating just yet, as it does tend to do this sometimes.

I was just reading this research paper http://www.ijpbs.net/cms/php/upload/2961_pdf.pdf - PREVALENCE OF VITAMIN D DEFICIENCY AND ITS RELATION SHIP WITH SUBCLINICAL HYPOTHYROIDISM

That's what I am diagnosed with, subclinical hypothyroidism. Originally a GP misdiagnosed it as a hypothyroidism but an endocrinologist later said it is subclinical hypothyroidism. No antibodies present, no known medical reason to have it. The study claims there is a link between low vitamin D levels and subclinical hypothyroidism, and aims to discover if the low vitamin D causes the illness, or if the illness causes the low vitamin D. Based on my own experiences I would guess the low vitamin D causes subclinical hypothyroidism as I get so healthy when I am out in the sun a lot.

I'll continue with this strong dosage of the vitamin d3 supplement for a while and see if it resolves this. It should do if the problem is a vitamin D deficiency. However there are some studies that claim vitamin D in supplement form is not the same as sunlight and does not offer the same benefits, and possibly no benefits at all. Too much conflicting information, all I can really do is try it for myself.

There is one other thing I didn't mention. I have raised creatine kinase, it's not overly high, but it's higher than the normal range. After detecting this they did more tests to see if I have kidney disease. The results came back normal, they are certain that I do not have kidney disnease. The specialist told me she has seen many guys like me, who carry a bit of muscle on them, and it means their creatine kinase levels are higher than normal. She said it's just because the muscle mass I have means I produce more creatine kinase than the average person. It's interesting because kidney disease decreases vitamin d metabolism. I don't think this applies to me though because I don't have kidney disease.

OP
C

Cm00

Speaking of vitamin D metabolism. It makes sense that because I carry more muscle than average that I require more food, more vitamins than the average person, I strongly assume that includes vitamin D. More is required to maintain it, and even more is required if you are actively exercising. The combination of my working from home lifestyle which means I don't get out much, combined with a higher than normal vitamin D requirement could be the main factors that result in my having subclinical hypothyroidism, it could explain everything.

bhale7904

I've been through the whole battle of this "normal thyroid tests" and feeling like crap. One of the things that i found that helped me the most is time away from computers, cell phones etc.. They throw my body so out of whack i can arc electricity at times 3 inches from my finger to a light switch. I was told "oh its normal static buildup in the winter" etc but it happened year around. I finally found a naturopath who explained that since my body has a tendency to absorb electricity etc i needed to limit my time on them or around them. Well the only way to do that these days it seems is to be outdoors. So I've learned every couple of weeks i have to take at least a day of being totally away from EVERYTHING electronic, no cell phones, no computers, no TV, nothing...preferably a weekend but i take what i can get....
BTW i take 15k units of vitamin D3 EVERY day, whether i am outdoors or not...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
bhale7904, :welcome

Great post, thank you. :hattip

OP
C

Cm00

Interesting, I am around electronics a lot too, mostly computers.

15,000 units, is that the same as 15,000 IU? I'm still taking 25,000 IU a day now and so far the inflammation is still gone, don't know for sure it's working but it might be.

I'm assuming when correcting a vitamin D deficiency it can take a few weeks to feel normal again? Shouldn't expect miracles after a few days right? Lots of hormonal changes and other changes happening as a result of fixing the deficiency.

Jennifer

Cm00 said:
I'm assuming when correcting a vitamin D deficiency it can take a few weeks to feel normal again? Shouldn't expect miracles after a few days right? Lots of hormonal changes and other changes happening as a result of fixing the deficiency.
My vitamin D levels were a 6 prior to fracturing my spin and one thing I've noticed is when my levels are low, my shins hurt. I was put on 50,000 IU once a week and I think it took at least two weeks before my shin pain was gone. And oddly enough, my aunt (not by blood) also gets shin pains when her D levels are low.

Poppyseed13

Hello. I too have hypothyroidism--never diagnosed until a couple of years ago. I did not take any synthetic thyroid medicine. Instead I opted for Thiroyd (from Thailand) similar in formation to Armour Natural Desiccated Thyroid). I also noticed the first year on it that my need for Thiroyd increased as summer ended and autumn approached (and I live in the desert, southwest USA) ---I also have learned that you have to be patient in adjusting the dose ---the effects of one dose change can take up to two weeks to notice a change. Go slow when you are upping your dose as autumn approaches, and go slow in racheting down your dose as spring approaches.

Thiroyd has been excellent in really shutting down my TSH (which was definitely not as high as yours)---and, as you know, Ray Peat thinks having a very low TSH is important (less than 1.0).

If you have not looked, I have found the STTM (Stop the Thyroid Madness) website is full of great information.

While you are healing, I think it's good to not overstress your body with very vigorous exercise.---Find something you enjoy that is not all-out. Walking, rebounding, swimming come to mind.

Interestingly, in the last few months of working on my MTHFR snps, I have noticed as I ramped up my methylation protocol, I have needed far less Thiroyd (and here it is autumn again and I would typically expect to be ramping up my Thiroyd dose). It seems clear to me that my methylation protocol is improving my metabolism and in some ways my thyroid function.

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals