Back ache

sunmountain

What, exactly, is the connection between hypothyroidism and backache? How does the one lead to the other?

I have recently started having pain in my lower back, usually when I wake up. It's not every day, but occasionally. I don't think it's my bed or mattress. It reminds me of the back pain I had in my third trimester when I was pregnant.

Thanks

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
There is a thread about sleeping on the floor or hard surfaces that greatly improves back problems for a lot of people.

Hypothyroidism causes cells to swell, water to accumulate, and disks to move because their stable environment is taken away.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks, Charlie, at least now I understand! :(

Do you know if there is anything I can do to prevent this while I'm still working on metabolism, other than what I'm already doing, including salt?

Thank you

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

BingDing

In addition, ab muscles are important for back stability, doing even a few crunches/day is better than none (if you don't already do them). Back in the day it was thought you can do crunches every day, not sure if that is still the received wisdom.

Strengthening the back muscles is also a good idea, google will turn up the basics.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

I stopped all exercise a few months ago due to the stomach bloat issue, plus fatigue which is always around the corner. Once my stomach issue is better, I can try crunches or some yoga version of it.

tara

Not particularly from Peat, but my understanding is that keeping moving is important. That doesn't mean lots of intensive exercise, or pushing into worse pain.
I had disk prolapse several years ago, and have had other back pain previously. What will help you probably depends on whether and where there is particular damage. For me, and I gather for many, one of the lower back disks was bulging out backwards. So everything that involved leaning forward or being in a sitting position made it worse.

An osteopath taught me that the spine has strong bands at teh back and front to support the disk against forward and back bending, but not to the side. She was very insistent that I avoid twisting strains, eg lifting and twisting - always point feet towards the load. I used a kneeler chair at times. Some yoga exercises I had to avoid, others were great. If you can stretch the spine without bending it, that can sometimes provide relief. Walking sometimes helped, as long as I wasn't carrying anything.

I agree with others that abs and other core muscles are important for supporting spine. Crunches may help or hinder, depending on what is wrong. Keep doing any movement you can that doesn't exacerbate it.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

I hear you guys. I love walking and need to get out.

Part of the problem is I have nothing anymore to wear than one pair of jeans. It's very stressful to be getting together -- yet again! -- a few items of clothing to wear just when I got over the spring and summer.

Whine.

I feel like I've developed a waddle instead of walk... A 5'2" penguin...

Will get this solved one way or another soon and then get outside.

BingDing

I know you'll find an answer, sunmountain. You're probably one experiment away from turning it around and getting some good stuff going!

I was a little flat when I wrote my post, it was my experience when I had a lot of back pain years ago. Tara's broader perspective is much better.

I spent a lot of this afternoon listening to a KMUD interview just because it got bumped, and Ray talked again about muscles, building muscles with low stress resistance exercise, and women with biceps about the size of an index finger who weren't healthy (way paraphrased, and no offense intended).

It just occurs to me that larger muscles stand with thyroid, progesterone, coffee, aspirin, niacinimide, salt, etc as being prometabolic and a valuable part of the fight against the antimetabolic processes.

I love it when that kind of thing happens.

treelady

sunmountain, I am hypothyroid too. And had awful back aches recently when getting up in the morning. This may be too soon to know for sure but I have been sipping 1/8 tsp baking soda in a glass of water for a few evenings to help with edema in my legs and I noticed my back was much better in the morning. You could make a glass and muscle test it to see if your body needs it... Put the glass on your stomach just below your ribs (your solarplex). If your body leans forward it is probably good for you. If your body leans back it is bad for you. Baking soda is supposed to increase your CO2, which is low in people with hypothyroid. I can only have 1 glass though and I have to drink it slowly or I get diarrhea.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

So four days ago I woke up and my entire back was in PAIN. Not just lower back.

I made a bed on the floor.

Have been sleeping on the floor. It eased the pain significantly right away. But there is still some, sometimes in the middle, or neck, or lower back when I bend.

Crunches are gonna be hard right now due to full max stomach swelling. I think the GI's b. Infantis or Align probiotic is causing the extra swelling, but he had told me that it would in the first week. I'll continue this probiotic for a couple more weeks. Then ask BP for a recommnedation probs.

Need to look up back strengthing exercises.

Tried baking soda earlier; can try again.

thanks

natedawggh

A purely Peat answer would be that your lower back is probably suffering from a lack of oxidative respiration. It's a very deep spot of the body with lots of small capillaries, and doing things to improve the CO2 concentrations of your tissues will help improve and/or cure it. Also, putting a strong red light on it will help greatly. Aspirin would help, but make sure you have plenty of carbs with it too. If you're having pain after exercising, your back area is not respiring correctly, and you should take steps to make sure you don't exhaust your muscles there to the point that they must resort to lactic acid metabolism.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:1

pboy

its probably the stomach swelling putting strain on your back

lindsay

Have you tried going for a massage? Or to a chiropractor?

I had a massage once when my neck & shoulders were stressed. It feels wonderful.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm trying to bag breathe more, with varying results. Will keep at it.

The red light sounds wonderful. I am overwhelmed right now with work and college apps for daughter and I. What would help a lot is a couple of recommendations for red light lamps, or point me to a thread with recommendations that I can skim quickly.

I am looking into massage and probably start soon. I'll check if insurance covers chiropractor.

pboy is correct, it is absolutely the stomach swelling putting stress on the back. It's the same pain I had when I was in my third trimester of pregnancy, though it was mostly lower back then.

T

tca300

Steel wool is usually pretty effective for back aches, rub all over really hard! and remember! if it doesn't burn, your not rubbing hard enough! Haha sorry! Oh DO NOT DO CRUNCHES, trunk flexing ( inward crunch ) causes the abdominal muscles to pull the upper body forward in a hunch motion and will cause bad posture. Crunches are bad for the back anyways. Exercises like back bridges ( http://jasonferruggia.com/wp-content/up ... bridge.jpg ) and what I call air humps ( http://www.iachiropractic.com/files/611 ... bridge.jpg ) are good for building spinal strength and flexibility. If you must do ab exercises stick to ( http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/im ... -plank.jpg ) and side planks ( http://www.womenshealthmag.com/files/im ... -plank.jpg ) to avoid trunk flexing forward etc..

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

Thanks TCA, those pictures are really helpful. I will try the air hump.

OP
sunmountain

sunmountain

The air hump was not difficult. The bridge isn't possible right now.

I got red light for myself and my daughter. It's addictive! But a question. If I have a tendency to hyperpigment, will the red light cause hyperpigmentation?

I went for massage today, and the masseuse said I was swollen with water all over. She tried to "drain" me with a very light touch. Let's see if I go to the bathroom a lot tonight or not. Will also try acupuncture.

thanks

tara

I aven't been able to do the full wheel/bridge for years, I'm not surprised you're not getting it on the first try. Our yoga teacher only expects the easier one for beginners. I agree it's a good one. Gets harder if you stay there a while. :):

In theory, I think it is more the UV light that stimulates skin pigment formation. In practice, I guess you'll find out soon. :)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals