Advice For Getting Off Thyroid Hormone

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Dan W

I worry that the lemon / lime juice (probably ~30x more acidic than the apple juice, which is already pretty acidic) might increase the damage to your teeth. I wonder if there's a good way to make it into frozen "pills", or add baking soda or something.

Dan W

Does your apple juice have added vitamin C? If not, it looks like a quart only provides ~9mg / 16% RDA. So maybe the vitamin C will make a big difference!

SQu

I used to swear by vitamin C 1000mg + a day or I'd get swollen gums. Like clockwork. I stopped since peating and usually my gums are fine. But the only O.J. I can drink is my own in season when it's not acidic. I bought some out of season and though it's an excellent brand normally - not from concentrate, nothing added - at this time of year, out of season, it's impossible for me to drink. As for lemon juice - out of the question with that acidity. So I'm wondering if you've considered a non/ less acidic good quality supplement if there is such a thing?

tara

Probably good to dilute lemon juice at least 10:1, and sweeten with honey or sugar or whatever. Start gently - it may be very helpful, but it can stir the system things up a bit sometimes, including increasing demand for sugar.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dan, I planned on making lemonade and also adding honey like tara suggested. I will make sure to chase the lemonade with baking soda, also drink it from a straw.

And yes my apple juice does have ascorbic acid added to it. It says 130% of the RDA per 8 ounces. However, maybe I am one of the ones that cannot utilize the ascorbic acid and need the lemon juice.

Researching scurvy some more, if this indeed is the issue, it seems that I might have been dealing with this all my life at some degree or another.

sueq, I am aware of the acidity can be an issue so I do plan on diluting it and making some delicious lemonade. :P

tara, what is this start gently you speak of? :lol: After my 2000mg dose last night my tummy did the rumble in the jungle dance. I have mega dosed vitamin C in the past for colds and such. And I really do not want to depend on the ascorbic acid and hope to be able to do this with lemon juice and other fruits.

http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/v ... /vitaminC/

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
http://dash.harvard.edu/bitstream/handl ... sequence=2

Clip...

II. Vitamin C Deficiency and Scurvy

Almost every species of animal is capable of converting glucose into ascorbic acid.[86] Humans and guinea pigs, however, lack a critical enzyme for this conversion and are unable to produce ascorbic acid independently.[87] Therefore, humans must consume the entirety of their vitamin C needs in the diet.[88] Once vitamin C levels become low enough, symptoms of scurvy begin to occur.[89]

1. The Progression of Scurvy

The onset of scurvy is a slow progression, usually appearing after 60-90 days of a vitamin C deficient diet.[90] The onset of scurvy has been noted to proceed in four stages.[91] In the first stage, people begin to feel abnormally lazy and are prone to sudden fatigue.[92] The muscles ache, especially in the legs and lower abdomen.[93] Upon first waking, a scurvy victim’s joints will ache.[94]

During the second stage, patients’ gums begin to swell, bleed with slight pressure, itch, and become hot.[95] In addition, teeth become loose at the roots.[96] Patients also begin to feel actual pain throughout the joints and muscles.[97]

When a patient reaches the third stage of scurvy, the gums become putrid and begin to smell like rotting flesh.[98] The gums also begin to bleed profusely.[99] The flesh becomes gangrenous and the skin will spontaneously hemorrhage.[100] The skin, especially in the legs and feet, develop ulcers that turn gangrenous.[101] Finally, the third stage entails excruciating pain throughout muscles, joints, and bones.[102]

In the fourth and final stage of scurvy, the body develops high fevers.[103] The skin develops black spots, the body begins to tremble, sudden faintings occur, and finally death occurs. The acute cause of death is usually caused by hemorrhaging in the brain and heart and is usually brought on by exertion. [104] However, even in stage four, treatment by high levels of vitamin C will reverse the effects of scurvy and the patient will return to good health.[105]

2. Prevalence of Scurvy and Vitamin C Deficiency Today

Today, vitamin C deficiencies and scurvy are rare because of easy access to fresh fruits and vegetables, vitamin fortification of processed foods and drinks, and vitamin supplements.[106] However, cases of scurvy still sometimes appear.[107] Most cases in the United States occur in poor urban populations, alcoholics and the elderly.[108] Individuals who smoke or have illnesses such as cancer or renal failure are also prone to scurvy.[109] Today, elderly poor men develop vitamin C deficiencies more than any other group.[110] In fact, as many as 20% of poor, elderly men may have low amounts of vitamin C in their system, although actual scurvy rates are much lower.[111] Even in elderly, poor men, the rates of vitamin C deficiency are highest among those who are confined to their homes, chronically sick, or institutionalized.[112] Overall, scurvy is extremely rare in developed countries due to improved diets and vitamin supplementation.[113] However, cases still occur and medical personnel must be prepared to diagnose and treat this once deadly disease.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
My vitamin D level was 37. About a year and a half ago it was 26 IIRC.

The dr said he does not think its scurvy because scurvy does not happen in the modern world very often. He says hormones can do that so he is testing me for a bunch of stuff.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

LucyL

Perhaps something is interfering with your absorption?

Vitamin C:

Vitamin C absorption can be impaired by a number of factors. A single large dose saturates the enzyme kinetics for vitamin C, leading to excess AA in the intestinal lumen, which causes numerous gastrointestinal problems. Pectin and zinc also inhibit AA absorption, but this mechanism is not well understood. A high iron concentration in the gastrointestinal tract may cause oxidative destruction and in turn impair uptake (13).

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Could be. I know my iron is continually coming down because of blood letting. But that could still be a factor.

I also read that vitamin C is important in lipid oxidation. Even with supplementing thyroid my lipid panel was still high.

johns74

Do you take activated charcoal? Cholestyramine has similar actions to activated charcoal, and cholestyramine produces teeth problems after prolonged use, so charcoal might do the same thing, I guess due to demineralization, excessive excretion of minerals due to bile binding.

I would also guess that K2 doesn't work well when one is low in minerals.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I rarely take charcoal.

K2 definitely does not work the way it should with me. :(

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
It makes my teeth collect more calculus/tarter, at an alarming rate. haidut noticed the same thing happened to him but with bigger doses. I can take the smallest dose and it still cause it.

kitback

Hi Charlie. My teeth situation seems to be improving so I thought I would share my experience with you. Aside from my teeth getting more yellow by the day and the loss of enamel at the gumline over my front teeth, I was having multiple other problems such as hair loss, constipation, slow digestion and heartburn, muscle and joint pain, fatigue, etc. I finally realized those symptoms were the same hypothyroid symptoms I had before I started Peating. I decided to check my temperature and pulse and I was very surprised. My pulse, which had gotten up to 80 after a couple years of taking thyroid and following Ray's recommendations, had dropped down to the 60s! And my temperature had also dropped 1° or more. That was when I recalled reading about "winter sickness" in some of Ray's articles and his statement that people need to take four times as much thyroid in December as they do in July. I immediately increased my T3, taking it twice a day instead of once a day and then my usual dose of T4/T3 at bedtime.

I felt like a completely different person the next morning. All the muscle and joint pain I had been suffering with had vanished overnight. The constipation cleared up that day, my mood was much improved as was my energy. After a few days, I became aware of the fact that my teeth were less yellow! I had lost that glow-in-the-dark yellow stain on the front teeth and they were more of a dull white. Each day, they become a little more white and feel stronger.The enamel at the top of the gumline has remineralized. It is still quit thin, but at least there are no holes now and it is improving each day.

I now realize that there has been a pattern going on for the past few years but I just missed all the signals. My health would decline dramatically from December to February or March and then I would slowly dig my way out of that hole and start feeling good over the summer. Then things would start to decline in the fall. I recall the dental problems started becoming more severe last February and got steadily worse until the summer. Then things stabilized until the fall when things started going downhill rapidly again. Now that I have increased my T3, I hope to avoid my annual health decline over the winter. I also hope my teeth will continue to improve.

I remember not long after I started taking thyroid, my teeth started straightening out and getting stronger and whiter. So I guess it makes sense that once I descended back into hypothyroidism in the winter, unbeknownst to me, the teeth as well as many other aspects of my health would decline.

Henry

Hey Charlie,
if its of any help, I went through a rough period of indigestion as well when stopping thyroid. I think it has to do with the gut getting used to the high local concentrations of ingested thyroid supplements. It needs time to adapt to the lower levels that it receives from the thyroid gland. For me, it mainly showed as bad reflux and slow digestion in the first weeks. That went away after a few weeks and now I´m mostly fine even without taking any thyroid. What also helped me is trying to reduce any abdominal fat, I feel that this is contributing to gastric reflux. Doing resistance and endurance exercise helped in that regard.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
johns74 said:
Have you tried Cynoplus, which doesn't have calcitonin?
No not yet. I am gonna try it out soon though.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals