Hypo but can't take thyroid meds (due to iodine sensitivity?)

freyasam

In a nutshell, I took iodine drops for three weeks nearly a year ago, and since then I cannot tolerate thyroid medication, milk, or physical exertion without developing tachycardia, anxiety, and super weak, achy muscles. I've been following Peat's suggestions for 10 months and experimenting a lot with diet and supplements, tracking everything, asking Peat for help. I feel like I'm doing everything almost perfectly, but I've yet to find anything to get me out of the ditch I'm in.

Some more detailed info:

I'm 35 and female. I've had issues with glycogen storage (I'm guessing this is the issue since I get hungry soon after a balanced meal, and often wake up in the night ravenously hungry and with racing pulse) ever since I did a very low carb diet for a year in 2010-2011, which also caused me to gain 30 pounds (I never had weight issues before this).

I was on Armour for most of 2013, which helped a lot with my symptoms of constant hunger, pounding/racing pulse, insomnia, etc.

Then, in January 2014, I took 1-2 drops Lugol's 2% iodine for three weeks. I stopped the iodine, for good, when I developed a "thyroid crisis"--pulse of 120, panic, insomnia, and muscles so weak and achy that it was difficult to get out of bed or lift my arms for three days. I also stopped the Armour for a few days to let the excess thyroid hormone clear out of my system.

But when I tried to take even a tiny dose of Armour again, I got the same reaction. I tried a few more times over the following months, but couldn't tolerate it.

In March 2014 I found Peat's work and since then have followed his suggestions for diet and supplements (both his general suggestions and those made to me personally). So I've experimented with niacinamide, thiamin, vitamins A, D, E, K, Progest-e, pregnenolone, zinc, selenium, aspirin, magnesium, calcium... probably more. I have to take a lot of progest-e the second half of my cycle because my symptoms are worse after ovulation. No PUFAs, low starch (have tried eliminating it), no grains, eat dairy as much as I can (in the form of cheese, since I react to milk), liver, bone broth, shellfish. Currently eating around 80-100 gm protein and 300-350 gm carbs. I live in southern Mexico and get plenty of strong light.

My symptoms of hypothyroidism have increased quite a bit since the iodine incident, which are: another 30 pound weight gain, depression, cold extremities, pounding/racing heart, especially at night, anxiety, acne, dry hair and skin.

I've recently done a few trials of cytomel and/or cynoplus, at dosages ranging from 1 mcg or less to 6 mcg. I always get the same reaction I got from the iodine: a strong hyper-adrenaline reaction.

My TSH has gone from 2.5 to 3.2 since I started eating this way. Pre-ovulation temps are around 97.5 and post-ovulation 98.0. Pulse is usually 80-90 upon waking (I feel super anxious upon waking after having gone a few hours without food, so I'm pretty sure the pulse is fast due to adrenaline). Temps have not really changed in 10 months of Peating.

It seems to me that I got sensitized to iodine, since I can't tolerate thyroid meds or milk, which also has iodine (more than most seafood). It doesn't seem to be a lactose issue because I get the same reaction from lactose-free milk or goat milk.

I've asked Peat about this a few times and he never responds, though he always responds to my other questions. I guess this is a difficult case, but I'm hoping someone here might have some ideas!

Thank you!

tara

Sorry it's not working for you so far. I don't know anything about whether or how iodine could cause the problems you describe.

Since you seem to have tried changing many other parameters, I will ask about two I don't see you mention.

How/have you tried to increase CO2 levels? EG. bag-breathing, ensuring nasal and diaphragmatic breathing, other controlled-breathing exercises?

Also, how much are you eating? If you use tactics to improve metabolism, and there isn't enough fuel to support it, that can add to stress. Gaining weight may not be a reliable guide on this.

I had a period fo a few weeks a couple of years ago when I was under acute life-stress and woke in the night with deep-breathing, pounding heart, etc. What helped this for me I think was more sugar, including night-time snacks, and taping my mouth shut at night till it became habitual. Progesterone also seems to help.

Good luck.

OP
F

freyasam

Hi Tara,

Thanks for your reply.

I have been slacking off on the bag breathing lately, so thanks for the reminder.

I definitely get enough calories. On high estrogen days, especially around ovulation, I have to eat so much food to feel remotely satiated, and on those days I get over 3000 calories. On other days, I average 1800-2500. I am especially hungry before bed, and basically have to eat a complete meal before I can fall asleep.

Does anyone have any advice about this issue--feeling ravenously hungry on high estrogen days? I'm taking so much Progest-e. I feel like I need 1/4 of the bottle on some days just to notice any effects. Otherwise it's like no amount of food can make me feel satiated. And I get bad anxiety and racing/pounding pulse during these episodes of insatiable appetite. I'm 5'6" and really don't need to be consuming over 3000 calories. :/

tara

Hi freyasam,
I get the munchies for a day or two pre-menstrually, too - irresistable cravings for high carb food. I try to make sure I'm getting adequate protein, B-vits, minerals etc, but at this stage I try to meet the craving for carbs, too. I can't say i've got it working though, because I often crash after that, too often day 0, 1 or 2. I take progest-e all the way through.
I can't sleep if I'm hungry either.
Roughly 2500 is normal for women, so you if you have a few days under 2000, maybe your body wants a 3000+ catch up now and then?

beachbum

Hi

I know this topic is old but wanted to add my experience. I had your symptoms but way worse. I was stuck in constant hyper/hypo state thought I was going to die. I know how could that be. Part of me had hyper symptoms and hypo. I found out my progesterone/estrogen ratio was the worst. How I know this I posted on a site where a woman healed herself with diet but mostly progesterone, I posted my test results and she said it was the worst she has ever seen. Mind you she comes across hundreds of women and men on her site. So long story short I stopped all my supplements because anything not real food made it worse and evens certain foods, but it was progesterone cream that turned it around. My average does a day is 400mgs. I use it everyday. When you first start using progesterone it has to be high because it will first affect testosterone then estrogen which will give you estrogen dominance. So if you don't use enough it will keep circulating estrogen giving you worse symptoms. I'm still healing, it's been about 3 months now.

My symptoms before were:
Cranial pressure
Anxiety
Panic attacks
Rapid heart beat
Horse throat
Problem swallowing
Eye pressure
Cold and hot
Chills
Acne
Joint/muscle pain
There's more but can't remember. If you ask if I had such and such I would remember just because there was so many symptoms.

Anyway, I hope you feel better.
Beachbum

Here is the site I read about progesterone

http://Www.progesteronetherapy.com

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals