Whooping cough

Rivka

Does anyone know any Ray Peat things for whooping cough by any chance? :)

4peatssake

He's mentioned high serotonin resulting from intestinal irritation as being a factor in coughing although he does not specifically say whooping cough.

Ray Peat said:
In previous newsletters I have talked about the ability of intestinal irritation and the associated increase of serotonin to cause headaches, asthma, coughing, heart and blood vessel disease, muscular dystrophy, flu-like symptoms, arthritis, inflammation of muscles and nerves, depression, and inflammatory brain diseases.
Osteoporosis, aging, tissue renewal, and product science

Makes sense high serotonin may be factor given whooping cough is a contagious bacterial infection.

tara

I don't know whether this works for whooping cough - which sounds horrible, I'm sorry if you or one of yours is suffering it.
For other coughs, breath-holding can sometimes help soothe the relevant nerves and reduce the frequency and duration of coughing fits. After any coughing, hold breath for as long as possible without distress. Repeat often. Ensure nose breathing, especially at night (might require mechanical support if it's not happening automatically). A bout of coughing can lower CO2 significantly, and this tends to perpetuate the coughing. Raising the CO2 level can calm the nerves that trigger coughing.
And what 4peatssake said too.
Good luck.

Beebop

I did read someone say high levels of vitamin C given hourly would help, but that would involve finding an uncontaminated source of ascorbic acid. Peat doesn't talk a lot about Vit C. I don't know if this is a good suggestion or not.

You can use a syringe to mechanically remove mucus from a coughing infants throat - doesn't cure the cough but improves the choking symptoms.

I also read that many adults have whooping cough but don't recognise it as such, that adults with a persistent cough, even a mild cough without a 'whoop', when they are tested for pertussis many of them (can't remember the figure) have the infection. Doctors don't think to test for it.

LucyL

I think coconut oil might be something to try, it has anti bacterial properties. Perhaps mixing generous amounts into tea and drinking it would help coat the throat. When my dog had kennel cough, I would stuff his kong with coconut oil and manuka honey. Manuka honey in the tea might be good if the child is older (due to the standing government recommendation against honey for kids under 1).