Insomnia

EmmBee

My first post, and I am hoping for help regarding my poor sleep, which has happened in the last 3 months despite eating plenty of good proteins, sugars and fats. I take small amounts of Cynoplus (1/4 tab three times/day) and Cynomel (1/4 tab nibbled through the day.) My labs are all fine....TSH 0.01 T3 in upper range, T4 in lower range. My temps have improved from 96.2 F to 97.3 F in the mornings. In the afternoons, temp peaks at 97.8. Pulse is 75-80. Calories are about 3000/day, and I am 57 years old and female.
I am having a terrible time getting to sleep. I feel wired, can feel my heart beat (80) and cannot calm to sleep. When i do finally crash, I wake easily, and again struggle to go back to sleep.

Things I have tried....salt and sugar in milk before bedtime, Cyproheptadine 2mgs, red light, daily sunshine, aspirin and niacinamide. Nothing I have tried has helped.

I am SO tired, and have gained weight. I seem to have lost some of my muscle strength when working with (light) weights at the Gym. I do not look forward to my bed anymore at night time...it feels like a battleground!

Does this sound like a stress reaction, OR hypothyroidism? Or both??

jyb

EmmBee said:
Things I have tried....salt and sugar in milk before bedtime, Cyproheptadine 2mgs, red light, daily sunshine, aspirin and niacinamide. Nothing I have tried has helped.

Since you have all these supplements and eat plenty calories, there is something wrong with what you're eating/taking. I was prone to insomnia and I personally wouldn't supplement these in your situation. However, the biggest effect of my sleep is food, so you might have to think about what the diet is doing too. A good diet should leave you relaxed at bedtime, not with a racing mind and heart.

barbwirehouse

Insomnia is a complex condition often caused by a number of factors, it's a common symptom of hyperthyroidism, which can occur if your levothyroxine dose is too high.

Can you tell us what you've been eating specifically? Might not be getting enough magnesium; if you're not supplementing.

natedawggh

You need to be taking progesterone. progest-e is natural and it is essential if you are having health problems while still taking a ray prat friendly diet. Also, if you are consuming ANY amount of alcohol this would be causing insomnia and it won't stop if you continue to consume any amount. Progesterone is more helpful than taking thyroid because it protects the thyroid and encourages thyroid conversion and blocks estrogen. Your lowish daytime temps are suspicious because if you are taking thyroid they should be higher than that, so that means you have a great deal of estrogen dominance still and progesterone is necessary to bring it down (you could also do natural vitamin e, as it is highly anti estrogenic. Do not use synthetic vitamin e)

OP
E

EmmBee

Thank you for the replies.

My diet consists of lots of dairy (low fat milk and cheese), lamb and goat meat, occasional chicken, gelatin made into gummy squares, occasional oysters, broth, grapes, o/j, stewed fruit with added sugar, coffee, cocoa, dark choc on occasions, daily carrot. I don't eat grains. I do not eat liver due to my high iron level (I donate blood instead).
I will increase Progest-e. Maybe I have not being using enough.

Thanks to all.

tara

:welcome Emmbee

A couple of other possibilities you might be be to experiment with.
Breathing. If your breathing is not already calm, nasal, and diaphragmatic when you are settling to sleep and through the night, then you can practise/train to improve this. Night-time hyperventilation is common and stressful. The rest of your metabolic processes are involved too, but sometimes a change in breathing habits can help calm things down.

Timing of eating. I think what works best varies from person to person. For me, I find it works best to eat a lot in the morning and lunchtime, make lunch my biggest protein meal, and eat more lightly in the afternoon evening.

I found progest-e helpful for sleep, too.

honeybee

I sympathize. Insomnia is debilitating. I suffered for 3 months with chronic insomnia early last year. I pushed my metabolism too fast and too much and I was experimenting with waaaayyyy too many supplements. stress hormones were out if whack. I ultimately overcame the chronic insomnia by using mental and physical techniques and also by making sure b vitamins are balanced, progest e during the day ( it sometimes keeps me up at night), and using magnesium and glycine before bed.
It took me about 3 months to start sling regularly again. Now I only suffer occasional sleepless hours but not an entire night like before. The magnesium and glycine really do the trick. Sometimes I will take a double dose if I find I cannot drop off and my mind is chattering.
There's some research suggesting high ammonia in the brain can cause insomnia also so you could look into that. I tried Ornithene for awhile and it helped-now it doesn't so perhaps I've addressed that issue.
I tried many things to overcome but what I am listing above is what works for me consistently.
I also taped my mouth(per Tara ) at night for a few weeks and I believe this helps too. I believe I am sleeping now with mouth closed so I stopped with the tape.
I hope you find some rest.n

answersfound

Try increasing Cytomel until the adrenaline goes away. And eat ice cream before bed as well. I think the thyroid supplements are key to bringing down adrenaline

jimmyquick

Have you have your labs drawn? Vitamin D tested?

Raising vitamin d always raises energy for me during the day, thus fixing my insomnia. (when thyroid would not!)

It's weird, I've noticed whenever I have low energy during the day I can always expect to have a very hard time falling sleep that night and vice versa. A good vit D level helps correct this for me so that could also be a culprit for you.

Ive struggled with insomnia all my life so I know it sucks!

jyb

Vitamin D is related to day cycle synchronisation. It could have an effect on insomnia.