Hair Loss, Abdominal Problems, Possible Fatty Liver

tara

BTW, you know Peat recommends salting food to taste, and eating 4-6oz (c 120-180g) liver/week? Doesn't mean some others haven't had benefit from more salt or liver, but more is not necessarily better for everyone.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I've been at this for about 20-21 months and didn't notice new hair growing in until about 6-8 months ago. The first three months after coming from a low carb/high pufa eating style I sort of felt worse and didn't know if these changes would work for me. I stuck with it though because the science made sense and at 4 months things started to really shift and improve. I didn't start this for hair loss reasons but I currently have sprouts of new hair of various lengths all over my head. The lady who does my hair has never seen anything like it! I just thought I'd share my experience.

gretchen

It could be the year-round high carbs, lack of omega-3s in seafood (we might actually need the dha), blue light toxicity, and lack of red light. I've made some tweaks lately and am feeling better. I've worn out on the ridiculous weight gain and fatigue and so am lowish carb till June. 21, then plan to eat to satiety all summer. I won't be drinking juice or having Coke next fall or winter, irregardless of anything. I'm also off blue light as much as possible after noon and have been nuking myself with as much morning sun as possible. That might help you.

nikotrope

I got some problems with my diet in the past few months and lowering carbs has clearly made me better. It probably cleared some deficiencies I had due to too much carbs and lowered my hunger. I have been able to consistently lose weight without hunger this past month and I don't have this fogginess I had before. I still have milk, fruit and sugar though, and if I don't eat enough carbs I don't feel good either. Pulse and temp stayed at very good level.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
gretchen said:
It could be the year-round high carbs, lack of omega-3s in seafood (we might actually need the dha), .....

Statements like this belong in the debate section.

Please do not post alternative theories in the Ray Peat area unless it's in the debate section(or the Non Peaty section). This goes for everyone else coming over here from the other site. There are rules that will be followed here. Thank you. :hattip

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

Hey guys I finally had a blood work and the result came out today.

Tests that I took based on ravster02 recommendation:

- Basic panel for liver, lipid, kidney, etc: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/14
- Comprehensive thyroid panel: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/211
- Prolactin: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/62

As of today, my hair has been thinning so bad that I'm contemplating on buzzcutting it completely. There's not much hair thickness and length around that can hide all the thinning and bald spots all over my scalp now. The rate of balding is so fast since I started Peatarian diet in early February. Depressing as f...

Also, my stomach hurts easily now whenever I'm having slight stress/anxiety/nervousness. If I ever think about a stressing tought, I get stomach cramp INSTANTLY. The more stressed I am, the more intense the cramp becomes. And vice versa.

Also, if I eat peatarian food like oranges (sucking off the juice without eating the fiber), watermelon, yogurt, cheese etc. I get slight stomach cramp on my lower right abdomen. Somehow, eating liver and drinking bone broth is fine with me. Carrots sometimes hurts, sometimes doesn't.

And the crazy thing is that whenever I go out to eat with my friends on my cheat day (Saturday evening, usually) and eat whatever (as long as it's not high PUFA and no gluten), my stomach is fine. I only have problems eating Peat food, but no problem gulping regular food. What causes this? I've never had stomach problems when eating or under stress until I started Peatarian diet on February. Why is that?

Do I have low stomach acid? Too much gut bacteria? Too little gut bacteria? Damaged gut lining?

I'm pretty sure this stomach pain contributes to my hair loss. Will this issue be explained by the bloodwork result?

So based on bloodwork result:

1) What is the health problem(s) that I have that causes hair loss and stomach problems? Do I have hypothyroidism? Hashimoto? Fatty liver? Busted up kidney? Diabetes?
2) What are the goals I need to accomplish? Reduce seretonin, increase T3, reduce prolactin etc.
3) How do I accomplish those goals? Avoid xyz food, increase xyz food, increase xyz exercise, reduce xyz exercise etc.

BTW, I'm trying to avoid as much supplement as possible, but if there's no other ways around it, then I may have to take a supplement or two.

I'm a big fan of natural food instead of supplement. And I just bought 660nm and 850nm red light bulbs. Maybe there are ways to cure my illness with these two red lights somehow.

Anyway, the ultimate goal is reversing hair loss. Any insight, tips, suggestion is appreciated!

GZT19nL.gif

rlJWyIg.gif

g1nROqz.gif

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

BTW, I also have discomfort / slight pain in my bladder some times for no reason. Sometimes during peeing or while standing up or sitting down. Completely random but somewhat frequent every day. It started happening in late February / early March.

A

Anonymous

Why is the ultimate goal fixing hair loss?

My hair was thinning and now it's fine but my main concern was always feeling happy and warm. Everything else is just a bonus.

What I've come to learn is that gut health is everything. If you have issues with bloating and discomfort, u need to focus on that. Anti cholinergic drugs can be helpful for reducing intestinal sensitivity. If u have smooth digestion and no hemorrhoids everything should fall into place. Easier said than done with all the crap in our food supply.

Just take cypro for like 2-3 months do the carrot and glycine and maybe charcoal and everything else peat

Strongbad said:
Hey guys I finally had a blood work and the result came out today.

Tests that I took based on ravster02 recommendation:

- Basic panel for liver, lipid, kidney, etc: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/14
- Comprehensive thyroid panel: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/211
- Prolactin: http://www.healthonelabs.com/pub/tests/test/pid/62

As of today, my hair has been thinning so bad that I'm contemplating on buzzcutting it completely. There's not much hair thickness and length around that can hide all the thinning and bald spots all over my scalp now. The rate of balding is so fast since I started Peatarian diet in early February. Depressing as f...

Also, my stomach hurts easily now whenever I'm having slight stress/anxiety/nervousness. If I ever think about a stressing tought, I get stomach cramp INSTANTLY. The more stressed I am, the more intense the cramp becomes. And vice versa.

Also, if I eat peatarian food like oranges (sucking off the juice without eating the fiber), watermelon, yogurt, cheese etc. I get slight stomach cramp on my lower right abdomen. Somehow, eating liver and drinking bone broth is fine with me. Carrots sometimes hurts, sometimes doesn't.

And the crazy thing is that whenever I go out to eat with my friends on my cheat day (Saturday evening, usually) and eat whatever (as long as it's not high PUFA and no gluten), my stomach is fine. I only have problems eating Peat food, but no problem gulping regular food. What causes this? I've never had stomach problems when eating or under stress until I started Peatarian diet on February. Why is that?

Do I have low stomach acid? Too much gut bacteria? Too little gut bacteria? Damaged gut lining?

I'm pretty sure this stomach pain contributes to my hair loss. Will this issue be explained by the bloodwork result?

So based on bloodwork result:

1) What is the health problem(s) that I have that causes hair loss and stomach problems? Do I have hypothyroidism? Hashimoto? Fatty liver? Busted up kidney? Diabetes?
2) What are the goals I need to accomplish? Reduce seretonin, increase T3, reduce prolactin etc.
3) How do I accomplish those goals? Avoid xyz food, increase xyz food, increase xyz exercise, reduce xyz exercise etc.

BTW, I'm trying to avoid as much supplement as possible, but if there's no other ways around it, then I may have to take a supplement or two.

I'm a big fan of natural food instead of supplement. And I just bought 660nm and 850nm red light bulbs. Maybe there are ways to cure my illness with these two red lights somehow.

Anyway, the ultimate goal is reversing hair loss. Any insight, tips, suggestion is appreciated!

GZT19nL.gif

rlJWyIg.gif

g1nROqz.gif

Congrats on getting bloodwork done. Now that you've got some numbers, you can better calibrate how you feel with what's going in your body and make measurable progress.

If I were in your shoes, I would eliminate fruit juices and milk and stick to meat and cheese for protein and table sugar (sucrose) and/or honey for my sugar to not antagonize my gut and exacerbate any food allergy/sensitivity problems. I'd do this for 2-4 weeks while doing a 1-2 week course of antibiotics after which I'd slowly introduce fruit juice and/or milk and small doses of aspirin and niacinamide to lower FFA.

After introducing fruit juice and/or milk, I'd do another test to note my TSH, prolactin and cholesterol values. Sometimes diet alone can reduce those values. If they were still elevated however, along with a cholesterol value of 260mg/dl, I'd introduce half a grain to a grain of thyroid a day and then retest TSH and prolactin and cholesterol in 6-8 weeks.

Also give Danny Roddy an email and see what he has to say about your bloodwork.

Peat's_Girl

I feel you on the digestive discomfort and underwhelming temperatures.
I started Peat a few times and gave up shortly after for the same reasons.

This time is different for me because I've learned to not listen to people on this forum and listen to myself instead.

When Peat says sugar or isolates specific foods like gelatin and OJ, (IMO) he doesn't mean you should sustain yourself on those alone. Some may do well on these but I don't think it's right for someone like you and I who are transitioning from a very low carb diet.
I think I personally had a hard time with liquid sugars like juice and milk. Once I've incorporated whole fruit (which is what I think Peat really means when he says sugar) and reduced my dairy consumption to mostly cheese and (no more than) a glass of milk, I finally started to see improvements.

I also find that I HAVE to eat a specific balance of nutrients: carbs, fats and sugars at EVERY meal. If I eat sugars by themselves (just OJ or just fruit) or not enough protein to sugar ratio (just milk) my energy will crash quickly and I'll become cold and lethargic.

I think Matt Stone is right in the sense that liquid foods can be "cooling", and I find I can drink a few glasses of milk and OJ and never "warm up" but since switching to solid foods I warm much better.

I don't know if you're recovering from restrictive eating, like I am, but weight gain is a step to recovery you have to go through... It's hard to accept (I'm not there yet) but if you've been restricting for years and dieting maybe you need a lot more calories than you think. And DENSE calories.

There's a reason many successful members on this forums have almost completely different diets. Some don't eat sugar, some don't eat meat, others eat tons of meat (like me!), some can't eat dairy, others drink gallons of milk... Maybe you just need to go off the forum for a bit, open your fridge and ask yourself what you really want to eat... And eat it.

GeorgiaS

Peat's_Girl said:
I feel you on the digestive discomfort and underwhelming temperatures.
I started Peat a few times and gave up shortly after for the same reasons.

There's a reason many successful members on this forums have almost completely different diets. Some don't eat sugar, some don't eat meat, others eat tons of meat (like me!), some can't eat dairy, others drink gallons of milk... Maybe you just need to go off the forum for a bit, open your fridge and ask yourself what you really want to eat... And eat it.

:yeahthat

Hi Strongbad a few suggestions fwiw, I have not read the entire but it reads like you are a little in 'overwhelm' state at the moment. Be a bit kinder to yourself, break it down into manageable chunks, and not to go 'woo woo' on you, but even doing some deep breathing exercises to allow some of the stress to dissipate a little?

Experiment with food and keep it simple would be my advice, and if certain foods really irritate/bloat, you don't go back for more in a hurry! The forum is really a great gathering of information and so much to learn and also remembering it is all 'person specific'.

cantstoppeating offered good advice, Danny Roddy is well versed on hair loss which seems to be your biggest motivation and you have the lab results to discuss and I would think would be a good option.

Re: your bladder if irritation has been going on since Feb/Mar you might like to get that checked out for possible infection?

Sheik

You should consider other ways of reducing stress, besides diet. Diet is important, but other things can't be ignored. It sounds like you are really stressed about your hair loss. I feel you on that. Reversing hair loss is my number one goal too.

This is a pattern I've noticed in myself: I get a lot of anxiety, my scalp gets tense and numb, then it gets inflamed and sore, then I lose hair. This causes more anxiety. Rinse, repeat.

Your situation may not be the same as mine (idk) but psychological stress can lead to physiological stress. Especially when you've been chronically stressed previously without being able to recover. So try to get your anxiety taken care of.

Kasper

Maybe you just react bad on OJ ? Some people don't react good on OJ. For some it is related to some specific things in OJ, some don't tolerate fructose, some just don't tolerate sugar that well.

I do much better on potatoes (boiled and then cooled) with salt and (grass) butter. Have you tried that instead of OJ?

If anything, I would surely try to follow your intuition more. If you react bad on it, just don't eat. If you are not hungry, don't eat. If you crave for some Ray Peat approved food, go for it.

That is the biggest thing I've learned here. I've tried eating all kind of fruits, but I just didn't react well on it. Somewhere, my body was trying to tell me that, but I was just listening too much to my cognition and not to my body. I've tried using coke for carbs, but my tooth became horrible. Now I eat mainly, potatoes for carbs, and only if I'm hungry (even if that means that I start eating at 3pm). I love it, I crave for it, I feel great (and my hair looks stronger than in years).

I'm not trying to say, that this will work for you. But it seems to me, that you are not really listening to what your body is trying to say anymore.

Strongbad said:
Doesn't Danny Roddy charge 147 bucks for consultation?

He should do one dollar for every grown hair :shock:

cout12

The thing is you could eat a perfect ray peat diet and still feel terrible and never get better if you digest it badly. Bad digestion literally ruins your health and I'm pretty sure it gives huge hair loss as well. I used to kind of ignore it but now that I'm in tuned with it it's really like having poison inside you.

When my bowel movements aren't perfectly not too hard and not too soft and smell normal, I feel terrible, can't sleep, have no energy, etc. I'm pretty sure when I ignored it for too long my hair was thinning too.

And the difference could be super small. Just switching to a different brand of milk or not having a small bowl of rice everyday could make the difference between terrible and perfect digestion for me. And it's kind of a constant struggle, sometimes food just stops working for me all of a sudden or I try new food and I'm not sure if it's working or not, etc.

EIRE24

cout12 said:
The thing is you could eat a perfect ray peat diet and still feel terrible and never get better if you digest it badly. Bad digestion literally ruins your health and I'm pretty sure it gives huge hair loss as well. I used to kind of ignore it but now that I'm in tuned with it it's really like having poison inside you.

When my bowel movements aren't perfectly not too hard and not too soft and smell normal, I feel terrible, can't sleep, have no energy, etc. I'm pretty sure when I ignored it for too long my hair was thinning too.

And the difference could be super small. Just switching to a different brand of milk or not having a small bowl of rice everyday could make the difference between terrible and perfect digestion for me. And it's kind of a constant struggle, sometimes food just stops working for me all of a sudden or I try new food and I'm not sure if it's working or not, etc.

I agree with you. Recently I tried to go starch free and it absolutely ruined me. Broke out in acne, weak, tired and stomach cramps all the time. Since adding back in starch in the form of rice and potatoes everything is starting to pick up again.

ballomar

EIRE24 said:
I agree with you. Recently I tried to go starch free and it absolutely ruined me. Broke out in acne, weak, tired and stomach cramps all the time. Since adding back in starch in the form of rice and potatoes everything is starting to pick up again.

When you went starch free, did you substitute the calories you were getting from starch with sugar or other sources? If not you were undereating.

I started to include starch because it was the only way I could hit my calorie goals.

OP
Strongbad

Strongbad

I'm still experimenting with food that works for me. I just don't know good alternatives for oranges and watermelons since they're rich in fructose for my energy. Other fructose sources I've been taking is fructose powder, occasional white sugar (not much) and raw honey for downtime snack.

It's tough to up my carbs, especially fructose-based carbs, if I keep running out of options because of digestion issues. Ratio-wise, Peat recommends more carbs than protein and fat, but this issue makes me eat more protein and fat instead of carbs.

I tried long-boiled potatoes before, but my stomach became much fatter within 3-4 days, and I only consumed 1 potatoes per day. I bet it elevated blood sugar and gave me tired feeling. Once I quit eating potatoes and focus on fructose-based food, my stomach become leaner again and I become more energetic again. The thing is, potatoes doesn't give me stomach issues, but fructose-heavy fruits do.

I definitely listen to what my body tells me. I just don't know what food to replace them with :P Like I said, regular restaurant food doesn't give me stomach issues but Peat food does. Don't tell me I need to go back to my old PUFA/low carb days.

Haidut gave me great pointers off my bloodwork:

- My thyroid, kidney and liver are generally fine.
- I have a high BUN/creatinine ratio, which means I eat too much protein instead of carb and am most likely dehydrated.
- Creatinine level is close to perfect so my kidney is fine.
- The only issue with thyroid is that TSH must be lowered to less than 1 if possible. So I'll drink more coffee+lots of sugar to make that happen.
- Prolactin level is fine, so that's not the one causing hairloss for me.

The issues are:

- Serum chloride is borderline low. So that means I have very low stomach acid, most likely.
- I may have high cortisol level, since my hair keeps losing and high cortisol causes many stomach issues, like peptic ulcers, low stomach acid, cramps, etc.

The biggest problem, though, is high cholesterol. Haidut said that it suggests hypothyroidism. The cell is having problem converting cholesterol into pregnenolone.

I also need to take cortisol (AM and PM) tests, full hormone panel including progesterone, DHEA, estrogens, testosterone, DHT, PTH, serotonin.

I'd figure out some ways to cure myself out of this mess. Work in progress...