insomnia

OP
S

sunflower1

Ok, so where would I source a pure progesterone? Progest e? I'm guessing

Never had a reaction to supplements before and the main one mag is from pure bulk..

OP
S

sunflower1

I started using cypro,

I seem to sleep on and off, some nights I passout for 10 hours, other nights I barely sleep. It's weird. So I have now upped my dose to around 3mg . I take 1 mg at around 4pm and the other 2 I took at 7pm .. Praying I will sleep tonight.. The good thing is the cypro seems to be waking up my appetite so I'm now averaging around 2000 calories a day

4peatssake

sunflower1 said:
Ok, so where would I source a pure progesterone? Progest e? I'm guessing

Never had a reaction to supplements before and the main one mag is from pure bulk..
Yes, I'd recommend Progest-E at this time. haidut is currently working on a progesterone supplement.

I mentioned checking the excipients to cover your bases and rule out any potential problem there.

Good luck with the cypro! :)

messtafarian

sunflower1 said:
I started using cypro,

I seem to sleep on and off, some nights I passout for 10 hours, other nights I barely sleep. It's weird. So I have now upped my dose to around 3mg . I take 1 mg at around 4pm and the other 2 I took at 7pm .. Praying I will sleep tonight.. The good thing is the cypro seems to be waking up my appetite so I'm now averaging around 2000 calories a day

I was just going to start a post about this. The same thing has been happening to me. I'll fall asleep ( with cypro)and sleep for FIFTEEN hours and then be awake for 24. My sleep is seriously jacked. I'll try to be reasonable and force myself to sleep on some regular schedule but I'll just lie there with Monkey Mind until I get up again.

What to do when sleep is not slightly but *really* dysfunctional?

4peatssake

messtafarian said:
sunflower1 said:
I started using cypro,

I was just going to start a post about this. The same thing has been happening to me. I'll fall asleep ( with cypro)and sleep for FIFTEEN hours and then be awake for 24. My sleep is seriously jacked. I'll try to be reasonable and force myself to sleep on some regular schedule but I'll just lie there with Monkey Mind until I get up again.

What to do when sleep is not slightly but *really* dysfunctional?
Have you tried progesterone?

4peatssake

messtafarian said:
Oh absolutely. Every night.
I figured. ;)
Ray has mentioned that using several grams of gelatin helped him sleep without interruption but you've probably tried that too mess.

Ray Peat said:
Although I pointed out a long time ago the antithyroid effects of excessive cysteine and tryptophan from eating only the muscle meats, and have been recommending gelatinous broth at bedtime to stop nocturnal stress, it took me many years to begin to experiment with large amounts of gelatin in my diet. Focusing on the various toxic effects of tryptophan and cysteine, I decided that using commercial gelatin, instead of broth, would be helpful for the experiment. For years I hadn't slept through a whole night without waking, and I was in the habit of having some juice or a little thyroid to help me go back to sleep. The first time I had several grams of gelatin just before bedtime, I slept without interruption for about 9 hours. I mentioned this effect to some friends, and later they told me that friends and relatives of theirs had recovered from long-standing pain problems (arthritic and rheumatic and possibly neurological) in just a few days after taking 10 or 15 grams of gelatin each day.

jimmyquick

sunflower1 said:
jimmyquick said:
Have you had your 24 hour cortisol & DHEA tested, as well as your vitamin D? Those would be my first test as they are cheap and a good place to start. Vit D can fix sleep issues really, really quickly if you're deficient. Have you tested either of those? High cholesterol for me corresponds to low thyroid output.

For truly high cortisol, I've noticed it creates and "on edge" and worrisome feeling that just doesn't allow you relax. When I feel this at night, I take low dose milk thistle. Search the thread for this and you will see Haidut post on this showing that it will suppress cortisol if you need something to address it. Ashwaghanda seems to also work for me as well, but most of the studies I've seem show mix results so not sure on that one. DHEA as well but that seems to cause more issues for me. The real trick is trying to fix the reason for the high cortisol and address that.

I really dont think you should (or anyone for that matter ) should be feeling any stress at all or something is awry. For me those stress hormones always lead to insomnia, thus causing the problem to compound on itself. And of course not one things seems to fix the issue since our bodies are so dynamic.

Nevertheless, here is what works for me now and I've had insomnia for as long as I can remember. Now it's quite rare if I have an issue.

-Red light, lots of sunlight in the morning (there is a good thread on red light by strongbad)
-Everything and anything to improve thyroid function (eat liver for that vitamin A)
-Adequate vitamin C via fruit, seems to calm the adrenals (sore gums can be a deficient sign)
-Have a night routine. Yoga or some stretching works for me, nothing intense.

Hopefully that can help move you into the right direction. I know when my thyroid is running optimal based on labs, my cortisol is normal (as well as DHEA) and I fall asleep almost immediately (no matter what is going on around me) and stay asleep until the morning sun.

I think I have complex PTSD.. and I haven't had cortisol checked but i'm pretty sure its high, I have all the symptoms. I will look into the milk thistle and ashwaganda but I think I need the test to know when to dose?

I just realized you posted you have low iron. I believe milk thistle can lower iron even further so you may want to try something else that will lower cortisol until your iron is back up. Did you say you had your vitamin D tested yet?

OP
S

sunflower1

Just looked back over all my blood tests and I don't seem to have vitamin d on there.. Maybe the thought I didn't need it as I live in Hawaii ?