Ovary removal for pmdd and hormone replacement

Aussiepopeye

Hi I' need some advice please.

I had an ovary removed when I was 18. Yesterday at 41( after 6 poppets) I had the second one due to pmdd.
I'm about to go through menopause and I'm confused over estrogen and progesterone. Ray peat mentions progesterone in his articles as being the main one to take, but then I'm told estrogen is important for bone loss and osteo and heart disease. Do I just take progesterone ( I have biodentical lozenges )?

I'm not quite sure what to do. My gyno said he knew of ray but wasn't too keen on some of what he had read .

I'm feeling lost and confused

tara

I recommend reading Peat's articles on progesterone and estrogen so you can understand his view point better. He discusses the beliefs about estrogen and osteoporosis, and many other interactions. These hormones were his area of research expertise, and I would expect he is well informed.

Here is one, but there are several more if you look on his articles page:
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/es ... osis.shtml

They take a bit of reading - I found that improved as I read and reread several articles.
You have time to learn a bit before you decide what to do - you don't have to start anything today.

OP
A

Aussiepopeye

Thankyou
Most of what I had read regarding Ray is progesterone is the key.
I wish he would write an article on what to do for women who have to get their ovaries removed

tara

Aussiepopeye said:
https://raypeatforum.com/forums/posts/95153/ Thankyou
Most of what I had read regarding Ray is progesterone is the key.
I wish he would write an article on what to do for women who have to get their ovaries removed

I think Blossom is without her original ovaries, and she has written about successes using several of Peat's ideas. You could look up her posts and see if any of it is relevant for you.
I think one of the points Peat makes about menopause is that the ideas about low estrogen being the problem that needs to be addressed are based on blood levels. But after menopause or presumably after ovaries have been removed, the tissue levels of estrogen can be very many times higher than the measured blood levels, because there is much less progesterone being produced to help oppose and remove it. He talks about what happens with bones - I can't remember the details well enough to summarise, but he points out flaws he can see in the arguments that estrogen supplements are protective against osteoporosis (he also suggests avoiding x-ray testing of bone density, as this is destructive in itself).

Some of the tactics I am aware of that may be helpful for retaining bone density include: regular sunlight or vit-D supplement, vit-K, generous calcium and magnesium, weight-bearing exercise (eg walking with good posture), energy sufficiency in general - ie not undereating. No doubt there are others.

Last edited by a moderator: