Thyroid storm. what to do?

James_001

pretty sure I am having a thyroid storm, what do I do?

Pulse is 108 bpm resting, temp in the 100s and I am having diarrhea. Also, I can't really see straight or walk lol. I took some phenibut that I hope will calm me down,what else can I do? Should I cease taking thyroid doses until this clears up? thanks

OP
J

James_001

My appetite is suppressed too. Also, I have a date tommorow morning

johns74

Plenty of sugar. It's important to satisfy your energy requirements. Vitamin A, raw cabbage, might slow things down.

OP
J

James_001

johns74 said:
post 111536 Plenty of sugar. It's important to satisfy your energy requirements. Vitamin A, raw cabbage, might slow things down.

I am not really that hungry though, just feel hot and groggy

Last edited by a moderator:

answersfound

Your taking too much thyroid? How much are you taking? Your hyperthyroid so it's not a big deal. I would just take a Benadryl and pass out and you should be fine when you wake up. And lay off the thyroid until you feel you need it again

tara

James_001 said:
post 111534 Should I cease taking thyroid doses until this clears up? thanks
Not an expert opinion, but yes, I expect you should cease or now. How much were you taking? How far into the 100s is your temp?

answersfound said:
post 111540 Your hyperthyroid so it's not a big deal
I'm not so sure about this. Probably OP will be fine when it wears off, but there are risks if it gets too high.

OP
J

James_001

I think my temp is 101 degrees. I was taking a fourth of cynomel and 25 mcg cytomel a day

answersfound

James_001 said:
post 111545 I think my temp is 101 degrees. I was taking a fourth of cynomel and 25 mcg cytomel a day

That is a lot, wow. But your liver must be in great shape if you can handle that.

messtafarian

No no no not sugar.

Drugs that will slow the storm:

Methimazole
Propranolol
ANY benzo
Benzo analogs like L-theanine
Cyproheptadine couldn't hurt.

If you went to the hospital they would give you an IV of some benzo mixed with propranolol. ANY sedative medication should have the effect of slowing the thyroid.

Other substances:

Sauerkraut juice. Tell your wife/friend to go to the store and buy about three jars of sauerkraut. Drink it the stuff in the jar.
l-carnitine
Soy junkfood like soychips or soy protein bars -- anything like that, just soy.
cruciferous veggies, cole slaw, broccoli, etc.
PUFA

Rest, flat on your back in a COLD room. Make sure the bottom of your spine and your cervical spine are cooled down.

AVOID all iodine and iodinated things like iodized salt. You can eat salt but make sure it's not got iodine in it.

tara

James_001 said:
post 111545 I think my temp is 101 degrees. I was taking a fourth of cynomel and 25 mcg cytomel a day
Cynomel T3 + cytomel T3? Like ~31mcg T3? Did you take this in lots of little doses over the day, or all at once? How long ago? If you are only supplementing T3, and no T4, then I expect it will gradually go down over a day or so (half-life of a few hours).

Definitely don't take more at least until it subsides.

Peat usually recommends only taking a tiny nibble of T3 at a time (eg 1-2mcg). And only taking more every couple of hours when needed, not when you already have too much in your system. He also usually recommends a combination of T4 and T3 for most people (if it is needed).

OP
J

James_001

tara said:
post 111559
James_001 said:
Cynomel T3 + cytomel T3? Like ~31mcg T3? Did you take this in lots of little doses over the day, or all at once? How long ago? If you are only supplementing T3, and no T4, then I expect it will gradually go down over a day or so (half-life of a few hours).

Definitely don't take more at least until it subsides.

Peat usually recommends only taking a tiny nibble of T3 at a time (eg 1-2mcg). And only taking more every couple of hours when needed, not when you already have too much in your system. He also usually recommends a combination of T4 and T3 for most people (if it is needed).

I am fine now, thank you

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Last edited: