Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

J

j.

What could one do to recover from acute kidney disease?

Ray Peat said:
When there's existing kidney disease, supplementing thyroid and progesterone speeds recovery.

What's a good dose of progesterone? Could it turn into estrogen?

Ray Peat said:
Progesterone won't turn into estrogen, but along with thyroid and aspirin it will tend to reduce the amount of estrogen in the body. If you have symptoms, you could adjust the dose according to the effect; I have seen some people start recovering immediately with just 10 mg of progesterone, but it depends on the balance of other hormones.

messtafarian

From Dr. Peat regarding iron supplementation:

As long as your hemoglobin is o.k., I wouldn't use an iron supplement, because so many things can influence the amount of iron in the blood, even when there's enough in the liver and marrow. Have you been getting enough copper and other trace minerals in your diet? Including shellfish (oysters have a lot of iron as well as other trace minerals) and liver in your diet would be the safe way to increase your iron and hemoglobin. Did you have your hormones measured? High cortisol can reduce the amount of iron in the blood while increasing it in the liver.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Powdered Milk

Regarding Powdered Milk:

Ray Peat said:
"It's not as good as fresh milk, or cheese, but when they aren't available, 100 grams (or more) would be a good addition to the diet, because of the high ratio of calcium to phosphate, as well as other nutrients."

jyb

On whether the amount of fungi related toxins (considered high in some studies on coconut oil) is of concern in coconut oil and coffee:

Ray Peat said:
Since animal studies show good health effects of both of them, and bad effects of other foods such as peanuts, wheat, and corn, the contamination is probably low. Hexane extraction seems to eliminate it, and it apparently declines in stored oil with time.

J

j.

I asked Peat whether Micellized Vitamin A (nutrisorb) might be more risky and attached this study:

Water-miscible, emulsified, and solid forms of retinol supplements are more toxic than oil-based preparations.

Ray Peat said:
I think it would have been possible for any one of those six co-authors to write an equally worthless paper. The amount of "water-miscible, emulsified, and solid preparations" would have been about 40,000 i.u. per day for an average sized person, but there was no clear definition of what they mean by chronic hypervitaminosis A.

J

j.

I asked Ray Peat about a good goal for a vitamin D level. His response:

Ray Peat said:
I think 50 ng/ml is a good goal. The point at which it lowers parathyroid hormone would be the right amount.

Buckyball

Re: Ray Peat Email Advice Depository Discussion/Comment Thre

Hi this is for all the ladies who want to start on progesterone but have irregular cycles, Dr Peat said following:

If you know the date of the last menstruation, you could go by the calendar, so 6 or 10 or 14 weeks later might coincide with the ovulation cycle; if you have a sensation of ovulation, that would be a signal to start it, or if you see a sudden rise in morning temperature that could indicate ovulation. But if there's no cycle you can detect, just starting the progesterone could renew the rhythm.

Mittir

I asked Ray Peat about animal brain and reduced milk.

Q: Do you recommend regular consumption of animal brains?
In " Oils in context" you have mentioned these are rich source of hydrophobic steroids
and contains many fold of T3. Is it a good source of T3?

Ray Peat said:
Brains do contain beneficial steroids, but the other fats aren't necessarily good, so I don't recommend them especially as an isolated food.

Q:Is it ok to drink reduced milk? It seems easier to drink 1 quart
of milk reduced to 1 cup on low temperature.

Ray Peat said:
Reduced milk is o.k. if the heat wasn't very high.

J

j.

I wonder if Ray Peat responded like this because he got sick of me asking questions, but anyway, this is hilarious.

Do you have any misgivings about eating beef kidney once a week?

Ray Peat said:
Yes, I never smelled one that I wanted to eat.

Lightbringer

My Question:
I was curious to know what you thought of supplementing DHT derivatives. I have heard good things about Mesterolone which is sold under the brand name Proviron 25mg (Schering pharma).

Ray Peat said:
A little DHT should be safe, but I don't think mesterolone is safe in any quantity.

Darn, I thought Proviron was safe. Note the above is for a male.

BingDing

Someone asked Peat:

"Do you believe that the following ingredients in Haribo Gummy Bears contain any excitotoxins?"

and he replied:

"They are all known allergens, or "pseudoallergens," and the yellow and red have been associated with hyperactivity, but they aren't excitotoxins in the standard sense."

From this thread on peatarian.com

Administrators: I'm not sure of the etiquette of posting this, if it isn't proper please advise or do whatever is appropriate.

HDD

In regard to nausea during pregnancy.

"Salt is often the most important thing for pregnancy nausea. Two quarts of milk daily, cheese, eggs, and orange juice, but with anything salty, even sips of salty water first thing in the morning, should stop it. Low thyroid function, with a low ratio of progesterone to estrogen, causes the kidneys to be unable to retain salt efficiently."

Mittir

Here is a correspondence between norxgirl and Ray Peat

norxgirl said:
Am looking for a way to contact Dr. Peat. Have burning questions re: what may have been given to hypothyroid pregnant women in the 50s (since my mother does not remember). Was it Armour Thyroid, Synthroid, Progesterone??? And what are potential effects of C-section births, since modern obstetrics has not even begun to address long term consequences. C-section babies do not get that oxygen "deprivation" which vaginal born babies get coming through the birth canal for intermittent periods. What effect would this have on physiology of baby, both short term and long term, along with every other component of birth physiology that has been altered? Thanks...

Ray Peat said:
I think a background of hypothyroidism, even when it's compensated by high production of the stress hormones so that the classical symptoms aren't present, is a major factor in reproductive problems, and in increasing susceptibility to injury by toxins, including DES and anesthetics. Progesterone production depends on good thyroid function, and as it declines cortisol and other stress hormones increase.

A few doctors at that time [1956] used real progesterone supplements during pregnancy, but generally they were much more likely to use a synthetic progestin, or DES or estrogen.

The prenatal environment can imprint a pattern of hormone balance, especially hypothyroidism, that tends to persist until new patterns can be formed, and that usually requires prolonged supplementation and a very good diet. With a good balance of nutrients and thyroid function, the protective progesterone, pregnenolone and DHEA are produced sufficiently to reduce the burden on the adrenal glands.

Gallbladder problems are extremely common in hypothyroidism [family history], and the compensating stress hormones produce problems with blood sugar regulation.

C-sections, anesthesia, DES, and mechanical attitudes toward pregnancy and nutrition all have their place in the authoritarian medical culture, part of a generally stressful culture. That culture is coherent and self-validating, and escape from it has to be equally systematic to be able to persist.
Source : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=542

Mittir

Here is a correspondence between katiekeen and Ray Peat
on high serotonin and Cyproheptadine

katiekeen said:
Thanks Blossom. I have had my blood serotonin tested just before Christmas and the level was 1220 nmol/l (results said "marginally high"). My Dr didn't mention anything about it. I also had my 5-HIAA tested a few years back via an organics acid test. It was high also but I didn't worry about it at the time because I was taking 5 HTP. I emailed Dr Peat about and this is his reply:
Ray Peat said:
It's important to know how it was measured, and what your platelet count was. Is your intestine inflamed? Since serotonin affects bone metabolism, have your serum calcium, phosphate, parathyroid hormone, vitamin D3, prolactin, and cortisol been measured?
katiekeen said:
I then sent him my other lab results (cholesterol, T3 Vit D, Vit A, Lactic acid, prolactin, parathyroid etc.

I then asked him if I should see my Dr re a carcinoid tumour and this was his response:
Ray Peat said:
I don't think doctors know what to do for regulating serotonin. Vitamin B6 helps to direct tryptophan toward niacinamide, away from serotonin. Gelatin contains no tryptophan, so things like consomme can be helpful. Raw carrots, because of their antiseptic effect, help to lower irritation and bloating. Antibiotics can be helpful, when the small intestine is overgrown with bacteria. Thyroid supplementation will lower cholesterol. Some people get very sleepy with just two milligrams of Periactin, so I think it's good to start with one mg. the first night. Two milligrams can make a big difference, and when symptoms stop the effects can last for days without using it.

katiekeen said:
I started on the Periactin (Cyproheptadine) and believe I am having good results. I have also tried to limit my meat as well (tryptophan). A few years back I was diagnosed with pyroluria (my body doesn't retain Vit B6 or zinc) and I understand B6 is required to push tryptophan down the niacin pathway rather than serotonin. My organics acid test also showed high quinolinic acid, not sure exactly how that is related
source: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2508&p=38026#p38026

Mittir

I asked RP about salt causing gut irritation. He did mention in article that
large amount of salt solution can break down stomach's mucus coating.
I have problem with baking soda, not sure what is the source of this problem.
He did not mention which part of salt causes problem.

Question: Dr Peat ,I am curious whether the sodium or the chloride part of salt causes
gut irritation. Do you recommend any other safe source of sodium?

Ray Peat said:
Baking soda in water is helpful for some people.

J

j.

A very interesting one about panic attacks:

Are panic attacks mainly a manifestation of hormonal imbalance, excessive stress hormones?

Ray Peat said:
Yes, usually with hyperventilation caused by high estrogen and serotonin, low vitamin B6.

Respir Physiol. 1980 Dec;42(3):171-88.
Prolonged stimulation of respiration by endogenous central serotonin.
Millhorn DE, Eldridge FL, Waldrop TG.
We have recently reported a new neural brainstem mechanism which is uniquely activated by stimulation of carotid body afferent input to the brain and which facilitates respiration for hours after the immediate affects of the stimulation have dissipated (Millhorn, Eldridge and Waldrop, 1980). In the present study respiratory responses to carotid body or carotid sinus nerve stimulation were measured in vagotomized, anesthetized, and paralyzed cats whose end-tidal PCO2 and temperature were servo-controlled and kept constant. The responses of animals pretreated with various serotonin antagonists and a dopamine-norepinephrine antagonist were compared to the responses of untreated control animals. All three differently acting serotonin antagonists (methysergide, parachlorophenylalanine, and 5, 7-dihydroxytryptamine) either prevented or significantly reduced the magnitude of the long-lasting respiratory response whereas the dopamine-norepinephrine antagonist (alpha-methyltyrosine) failed to alter it. We conclude that the long-lasting increase of respiratory activity following stimulation of carotid body afferents is due to activation of an endogenous central serotoninergic mechanism which facilitates respiration.

Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 2009 Jul;297(1):R34-41.
Dorsomedial medullary 5-HT2 receptors mediate immediate onset of initial
hyperventilation, airway dilation, and ventilatory decline during hypoxia in
mice.
Kanamaru M(1), Homma I.
Author information:
(1)Dept. of Physiology, Showa Univ. School of Medicine, 1-5-8 Hatanodai,
Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo 142-8555, Japan. [email protected]
The dorsomedial medulla oblongata (DMM) includes the solitary tract nucleus and
the hypoglossal nucleus, to which 5-HT neurons project. Effects of 5-HT in the
DMM on ventilatory augmentation and airway dilation are mediated via 5-HT2
receptors, which interact with the CO(2) drive. The interaction may elicit cycles
between hyperventilation with airway dilation and hypoventilation with airway
narrowing. In the present study, effects of 5-HT2 receptors in the DMM on hypoxic
ventilatory and airway responses were investigated, while 5-HT release in the DMM
was monitored. Adult male mice were anesthetized, and then a microdialysis probe
was inserted into the DMM. The mice were placed in a double-chamber
plethysmograph. After recovery from anesthesia, the mice were exposed to hypoxic
gas (7% O(2) in N(2)) for 5 min with or without a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist
(LY-53857) perfused in the DMM. 5-HT release in the DMM was increased by hypoxia
regardless of the presence of LY-53857. Immediate onset and the peak of initial
hypoxic hyperventilatory responses were delayed. Subsequent ventilatory decline
and airway dilation during initial hypoxic hyperventilation were suppressed with
LY-53857. These results suggest that 5-HT release increased by hypoxia acts on
5-HT2 receptors in the DMM, which contributes to the immediate onset of initial
hypoxic hyperventilation, airway dilation, and subsequent ventilatory decline.
Hypoxic ventilatory and airway responses mediated via 5-HT2 receptors in the DMM
may play roles in immediate rescue and defensive adaptation for hypoxia and may
be included in periodic breathing and the pathogenesis of obstructive sleep
apnea.

J Comp Physiol B. 1996;165(8):640-6.
Mediation of serotonin-induced hyperventilation via 5-HT3-receptor in European
eel Anguilla anguilla.
Janvier JJ(1), Peyraud-Waïtzenegger M, Soulier P.
(1)Faculté des Sciences et Techniques, Laboratoire de Physiologie Animale, Brest,
France.
The effects of serotonin (5-hydroxytryptamine) on ventilation were investigated
by continuous measurements of intrabuccal pressure in unrestrained eel.
Intravenous administration of 5-hydroxytryptamine (30 micrograms.kg-1) caused a
large increase in ventilatory frequency (+ 100%) and amplitude (+ 140%). The
5-hydroxytryptamine-induced hyperventilation was blocked by the 5-HT3-receptor
antagonists metoclopramide (1.0 mg.kg-1) or MDL72222 (1.0 mg.kg-1), and was
insensitive to the 5-HT1/2-receptor antagonist methysergide (3.0 mg.kg-1) and to
the 5-HT4-receptor antagonist DAU 6285 CL (3.0 mg.kg-1). The hyperventilatory
response to 5-hydroxytryptamine could be mimicked by the 5-HT3 receptor agonist
1-phenylbiguanide (300 micrograms.kg-1). These results strongly implicate the
5-HT3-receptor as the mediator of the 5-hydroxytryptamine-induced
hyperventilation in eel.

Biull Eksp Biol Med. 1976 Oct;82(10):1181-3.
[Role of the biological activity of serotonin in the production of the "shock
lung" syndrome].
[Article in Russian]
Bazarevich GIa, Deviataev AM, Likhtenshteĭn AO, Natsvlishvili BP, Sadeko MKh.
The influence of the serotin biological activity on forming the "shock" lung
syndrome was revealed in experiments on rats. Tachyhyperpnea with predominance of
functional emphysema and a small number of atelectic tissue areas were observed
in the animals with traumatic "shock" during the serotonin hypersecretion.
Tachyhypopnea with a significant predominance of atelectiv areas was seen during
the serotonin hypoproduction.

Br J Pharmacol Chemother. 1957 Dec;12(4):498-503.
The antagonism of the vascular effects of 5-hydroxytryptamine by BOL 148 and
sodium salicylate in the human subject.
GLOVER WE, MARSHALL RJ, WHELAN RF.
2-Bromo-(+)-lysergic acid diethylamide (BOL 148) is a specific antagonist of the
constrictor response of the forearm and hand blood vessels to intra-arterial
infusions of 5-hydroxytryptamine. This has been shown to be a direct action in
the tissue concerned, since the antagonism was as effective when the drug was
given by local arterial injection as when given intravenously. Sodium salicylate
is also a specific antagonist of 5-hydroxytryptamine, but its action is indirect,
occurring only when the general serum level was raised above 10 or 20 mg.%; local
limb concentrations of 30 to 40 mg.% had no antagonistic effect. The mechanism of
the antagonistic effect of salicylate is not known. It is not related to the
associated hyperventilation but is possibly due to the secondary release of, or
synergism with, some other substance, probably a hormone.

Mittir

Iodide and Vitamin E Succinate

Here is RP's response on Iodide and Vitamin E
I know people whose thyroid symptom worsens even at a very low dose iodine.
It probably happens more with hypothyroid people than healthy person
It would be a good idea to pay extra attention to thyroid function while
starting a larger dose .

Q:In your " Transparency of life " article you mentioned many benefits of Iodide.
Is there a safe upper limit of iodide dose that will not block thyroid function?

There are several studies showing anti-cancer benefit of vitamin E succinate.
Do you think absence of soybean oil in E succinate makes it better than
commercial d-alpha-tocopherol in soybean oil?
Is there any harm in using only d-alpha tocopherol (succinate ) instead of mixed tocopherols.

Ray Peat said:
Short term use of iodide is safe at a few milligrams per day, but chronic intake of even one mg. per day increases the risk of thyroiditis.
If the potency of a vitamin E product is around 1000 i.u. per milliliter, the amount of soy oil isn't a concern, but if it's only about 100 i.u./ml, then there's enough oil to matter.
The succinate is probably part of the anticancer effect.

Mittir

Bleeding and Receding Gums

Rivka:I had the same problem with bleeding and receding gums and sensitive teeth. I emailed Ray and received the following response:
Ray Peat said:
"Melting a little coconut oil in the mouth frequently during the day can be effective, because it's antiseptic (and swallowing some at intervals during the day contributes to disinfecting the intestine). Vitamins D and K help some people. The problem usually involves endotoxin absorption, so small daily amounts of minocycline help some people. Putting bamboo shoots through a shredding food processor, so they don't take much chewing, might help to reduce endotoxin. Checking the thyroid is important."

I tried all the natural supplements and foods with no luck. I then took 50mg of Minocycline 2x per day with food and after the 4th day my gums started becoming pinker and then fully back to normal by day 6. I stopped taking the antibiotic on day 7. I have also increased carrot salad to 2x per day to help with endotoxin removal.

source : viewtopic.php?f=10&t=296&p=27842&hilit=Bleeding+gums#p27842

Mittir

Orange and Apple

I have noticed a good number of RP followers are unaware of problems with
Orange juice, benefit of strained OJ and when straining does not work.
RP has talked about these issues in different interviews. I asked him for
clarification. I got this reply.
Q:Is there any other problem with Apple juice besides starch and pectin?
It looks like there isn't much fiber in store bought apple juice.
Do you think cooking apple juice will make it more acceptable?
Ray Peat said:
Apple juice can be very good, but much of it is made from spoiling apples, so there's a risk of fungal content.

Q: I have noticed in discussion forums that a lot people, including myself, have problem with orange juice and many of them feel better when they stop drinking OJ. They do strain OJ and make their own juice and add salt.

Ray Peat said:
If oranges aren't sweet, straining it won't prevent irritation

Q: Is it ok to boil and reduce volume of orange juice to limit fluid intake?

Ray Peat said:
Part of the value of sweet orange juice is its antiinflammatory, antioxidant, antiestrogenic effect, and cooking will change those effects to some extent. What would be the reason for reducing fluid intake?

Q:You have mentioned in interviews and articles that excess fluid intake is problematic for
hypothyroid people. You also mentioned that thirst is a good guide and salt helps with excess fluid.
In forums, many hypothyroid people think that they have to drink 2-3 quarts of milk and OJ for the
nutrients even if they do not feel thirsty. That is why i asked about reducing milk and juices.
This way a hypothyroid person can get all the nutrient without consuming excess fluid.

Ray Peat said:
Milk and fruit juice are osmotically balanced with minerals and sugar, so they don't cause imbalance of body fluids, the way drinking plain water can in a hypothyroid person. Many doctors have recommended drinking a certain amount of water every day, regardless of thirst, and that often causes problems in people with hormonal problems.
I do not think he addressed the problem with excess fluid here. He is simply saying milk and juices
do not cause the problem water does. But in other interviews he has mentioned that
a healthy person evaporate 2 quart of fluid through lungs and skin and a hypothyroid
person can barely evaporate 1 quart. He also added that low thyroid people retain water
instead of evaporating it.