The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: Wounds

:hattip Bruno

Regarding wounds.

Ray Peat said:
"Topical baking soda, honey, and granulated sugar can be helpful for wounds."

Source

Mittir

I send an email to Dr Peat asking about magnesium requirement. This is his reply.

Q: Do you have any recommendation for daily intake of magnesium? Is RDA of 420 mg for adult sufficient?

Ray Peat :With the average diet, that amount is enough. Good thyroid function, and plenty of calcium, potassium, and sodium can decrease the amount of magnesium needed.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:hattip Kasra over at Peatarian.

Regarding alcohol:

Ray Peat said:
"Heavy drinking inhibits cellular respiration and sets up an
inflammatory process, involving iron, which will still be harmful, but
less so than in the presence of PUFA. If absolutely none of the
dietary PUFA were in the body, no one really knows what that metabolic
stress would do, maybe nothing cumulative."

Source of quote.

5magicbeans

Response from the "Mr. Darcy" of energy protection

I think Ray Peat is amazing.
His graciousness in responding to all of us sets a precedence for the possibilities of a new type of "community" that is not much unlike his idea that "energy and structure are interdependent, at every level".

Anywho, here is his response to some of my questions regarding headaches, lab tests and finding a useful form of Emodin.

"I think prolactin and TSH would be worth checking. I have had bad headaches when I used vitamin A orally, and even getting a little on my lips was enough to do it. It could be that the Nutrisorb-A was the cause, if you used it orally. I use it only on my legs and feet.
It's hard now (since the FDA's anticascara action) to find a standardized aged cascara product, but Western Botanical and (in Italy) Farmalabor are two sources that I know of. (Naturlich Kost Ko-op in Millersburg, Ohio, has cascara, but I think FDA is currently preventing them from doing business.) The Chinese rhubarb products are probably standardized, but I have never used them. An amount slightly less than a laxative dose has beneficial systemic effects."

Mittir

Hashimoto Diagnosis:

Ray Peat does not believe that "Hashimoto" is really an autoimmune disease.
He mentioned in earlier audio interviews that antibodies used to diagnose Hashimoto
are not an autoimmune reaction. To be sure what he meant by antibody tests i asked him following question.

Q: Do high level of Thyroglobulin Antibodies and Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Antibodies show autoimmune thyroditis?

Ray Peat : When TSH is too high for a long time, it causes inflammation in the gland, and the antibodies are in reaction to that

mandance

Ray Peat response to low testosterone and high cholesterol

The problem with chicken is that the fat is highly unsaturated, and the meat provides very little calcium. Milk and cheese have a much better ratio of calcium to phosphate. Having the carrots raw (shredded, with a little olive oil, vinegar, and salt) would help with the hormone balance, and protect the intestine against inflammation. Supplementing pregnenolone wouldn't have the risk of the DHEA being converted to estrogen, which tends to happen when thyroid function is low. A small supplement of Armour thyroid or the equivalent could quickly lower the cholesterol, and since cholesterol is converted by thyroid into pregnenolone and DHEA, that would probably help the testosterone. Some shellfish (oysters, shrimp, squid, etc.) or low fat fish would provide trace minerals that might be lacking in your diet. Several eggs per week, or liver once a week, can help with other nutrients that are probably deficient in your present foods. Well cooked potatoes, with butter or cream, fruit, and well cooked greens are other foods have vitamins and minerals that are helpful.

Ray Peat guidance on dosing thyroid

Cynoplus (www.farmaciadelnino.com has a good price) is cheaper than Armour, and an eighth to a fourth of a tablet would be a reasonable amount to start with; thyroxine's half-life in the body is two weeks, so the effect is cumulative, and if you get the desired effects in less than two weeks the dose should probably be reduced.

At the beginning, once a day, but if your temperature and pulse and symptoms aren't just right after two weeks you could add another dose at a different time of day. Change of seasons affects the amount of thyroid you need, sometimes it isn't needed after using it for a while, but it's always good to watch for signs of change.

The body makes up to about 4 mcg of T3 in an hour, so each dose should be small, with food to delay absorption. Are you having orange juice and milk in your diet? Sometimes a B vitamin deficiency, especially B1, can cause the fog. A supplement of 10 mg. is often enough to improve focus and prevent fatigue.

When you take T3 without food, it enters the blood stream very suddenly, and the liver is likely to detect an excessive amount, causing it to produce enzymes to eliminate it. The result can be a decrease in T3 for the rest of the day, especially at night if you took it in the morning. Have you tried rebreathing into a paper bag, to see if the increased CO2 affects the fog?

Ray Peat on SSRIs

It takes time to adapt to decreasing those drugs, keeping sugar up and inflammation down, including bag breathing, should help.
Starting with a little, a sixth or fourth of a tablet, of cynoplus in the evening would be the best way to try it.

J

j.

I asked Ray Peat about persorption, and how to reduce it.

Ray Peat said:
Particles absorbed from the intestine can pass from the blood into the lymph, cerebral spinal fluid, and urine. Having fat and fiber in the food reduces persorption.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Ray Peat Email Advice: pregnenolone...androgens in women

:hattip 5magicbeans

Regarding: pregnenolone and excess androgens in women

5magicbeans said:
I emailed RP regarding pregnenolone and excess androgens in women:

Ray Peat said:
"Low thyroid and high estrogen, resulting from various things such as high PUFA, low nutrient diet, interfere with progesterone synthesis, and the adrenals compensate, producing androgens instead. Pregnenolone helps to lower adrenal androgens, progesterone can be used topically on some hairy areas."

Source

J

j.

As I add more and more incandescent lights to see how I feel, is there an approximate number of watts which is prudent to not go over?

Ray Peat said:
The heat is the limiting factor, not the light.

Mittir

Dr Peat
You wrote in vitamin E article that liver is a rich source of vitamin E. But USDA data shows
100 grams of beef liver has only 0.4 mg of E.
Is this a correct number? Do You know what is the real value? Would over cooking liver destroy vitamin E?

Ray Peat Replied
" Overcooking destroys many nutrients. The vitamin E content is much lower in grain-fed beef than in grass-fed."

4peatssake

Could you give us some clarity and help us to understand your thoughts about potatoes, when time permits?

Ray Peat said:
When a person has limited money for food, potatoes are a better staple than beans or oats. Starches associated with saponins, alkaloids, and other potentially pro-inflammatory things make them a less than ideal food, if you have digestion-related health problems, and if you can afford to choose. New potatoes are tastier, less starchy, and probably less likely to cause digestive irritation.

Dan W

Thanks to Zachariah Salazar for this one, regarding an article by Mercola about starch and acrylamide:

Ray Peat said:
PUFA (omega-3 and -6 oils, also called polyunsaturated fatty acids) break down into several toxic things, including acrolein, which oxidizes to form acrylate, and both of them react with ammonia or amines to form acrylamide. I haven't read the article, but it does seem odd that they would think the starch was the source of the acrylamide.

Dan W

Thanks to Martin Brown on the Facebook group:

Martin said:
In regards to bag breathing. At sea level, roughly how often would someone need to do it (2 mins duration) during a day to maintain a significant, noticeable elevation in CO2 levels? As frequent as once every half an hour, more or less? I realise this would vary somewhat from person to person but was just curious as to a rough estimate.

Ray Peat said:
2 or 3 times a day will usually do it, you can check blood pressure to see its cumulative effect, but you should see a lingering increase of the pinkness of your nail beds

chris

Q:

I saw a reply you gave to someone in an email saying starch in aspirin was okay as long as it did not cause issues such as asthma, hemorrhoids or headaches. Do you think the starch in aspirin is the reason asthmatics may have issues with aspirin and that pure aspirin powder would not cause an asthmatic problems?

Ray Peat said:
I know people who had lifelong "aspirin allergy" who now use it regularly. I think part of it is the metabolic problems caused by PUFA and low thyroid function.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
:hattip Dutchie

Dutchie said:
According to mr.Peat it's bc of low-thyroid/metabolism; this is what he wrote to me(answers are on a couple of different questions I asked him):

Ray Peat said:
Goat milk contains more copper than cow milk, and copper is important for energy metabolism and blood formation. Thyroid hormone regulates ferritin, so it doesn't indicate iron status. Low thyroid function can increase sensitivity to histamine, and make it harder to adapt to heat and humiditty. When thyroid function is low, the ability to burn calories can be very low, and then the daily protein requirement is likely to be below 80 grams per day. Low fat milk or cottage cheese is a very good protein for stimulating the metabolism, fruits such as oranges, cherries, guavas, cherimoyas, and watermelons are good carbohydrates, and having some mostly saturated fat with each meal helps to regulate digestion and assimilation.

Source

Mittir

Q: All the studies i have seen claims that Heme iron absorption is not changed by other factors like tea and coffee. Do you know of any study that shows coffee inhibiting heme iron absorption? I found this study showing beef liver has 13 percent heme iron and beef meat has 64 % heme iron. If this is true then muscle meat is more harmful than liver in terms of iron absorption . http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19475341

Here is his response. It seems like fresh meat has ferrous iron, the bad kind and older meat will be in ferric form, the good kind. There is another reason to avoid iron rich animal foods

Ray Peat : I think that's true, that coffee affects mainly non-heme iron absorption. The heme has toxic effects, forming carbon monoxide, apart from the iron.
As I understand it, the amount of non-heme iron that's absorbed increases with the extent of its reduction, with ferrous iron being absorbed much more than the ferric form. The presence of reductants in the food will increase absorption.

Mol Carcinog. 2013 May 16. [Epub ahead of print]
Heme-related gene expression signatures of meat intakes in lung cancer tissues.
Lam TK, Rotunno M, Ryan BM, Pesatori AC, Bertazzi PA, Spitz M, Caporaso NE, Landi MT.
Cancer Prevention Fellowship Program, Office of Preventive Oncology, Genetic Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health (NIH), DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland; Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, Genetic Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health (NIH), DHHS, Bethesda, Maryland.
Lung cancer causes more deaths worldwide than any other cancer. In addition to cigarette smoking, dietary factors may contribute to lung carcinogenesis. Epidemiologic studies, including the environment and genetics in lung cancer etiology (EAGLE), have reported increased consumption of red/processed meats to be associated with higher risk of lung cancer. Heme-iron toxicity may link meat intake with cancer. We investigated this hypothesis in meat-related lung carcinogenesis using whole genome expression. We measured genome-wide expression (HG-U133A) in 49 tumor and 42 non-involved fresh frozen lung tissues of 64 adenocarcinoma EAGLE patients. We studied gene expression profiles by high-versus-low meat consumption, with and without adjustment by sex, age, and smoking. Threshold for significance was a false discovery rate (FDR) ≤0.15. We studied whether the identified genes played a role in heme-iron related processes by means of manually curated literature search and gene ontology-based pathway analysis. We found that gene expression of 232 annotated genes in tumor tissue significantly distinguished lung adenocarcinoma cases who consumed above/below the median intake of fresh red meats (FDR = 0.12). Sixty-three (∼28%) of the 232 identified genes (12 expected by chance, P-value < 0.001) were involved in heme binding, absorption, transport, and Wnt signaling pathway (e.g., CYPs, TPO, HPX, HFE, SLCs, and WNTs). We also identified several genes involved in lipid metabolism (e.g., NCR1, TNF, and UCP3) and oxidative stress (e.g., TPO, SGK2, and MTHFR) that may be indirectly related to heme-toxicity. The study's results provide preliminary evidence that heme-iron toxicity might be one underlying mechanism linking fresh red meat intake and lung cancer. © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Copyright © 2013 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.

Mittir

Re: Coffee ,estrogen and cortisol

I send Ray Peat the abstract of that study showing Estradiol is increased 70% with 500 mg caffeine daily and got his response. Original study is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11591405

Early follicular phase hormone levels in relation to patterns of alcohol, tobacco, and coffee use.
Lucero J, Harlow BL, Barbieri RL, Sluss P, Cramer DW.
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To examine the effects of alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco use on early follicular phase FSH, LH, E2, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG).
DESIGN:
Cross-sectional study.
SETTING:
Academic medical center.
PATIENT(S):
Four hundred ninety-eight women selected from the general population, ages 36-45, who were not currently pregnant, breast feeding, or using exogenous hormones.
INTERVENTION(S):
A general questionnaire assessing demography, anthropometry, and smoking habits and a standardized dietary questionnaire assessing food and beverage frequencies, including sources of alcohol and caffeine.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURE(S):
FSH, LH, E2, and SHBG levels measured during the early follicular phase of the menstrual cycle.
RESULT(S):
Significant associations observed in a univariate analysis included age > or =40 and current smoking associated with higher FSH; higher body mass index (BMI) associated with lower SHBG levels; and daily alcohol use, cholesterol consumption greater than the median, and coffee use >1 cup/d associated with higher E2 levels. In a multivariate model, total caffeine use was significantly associated with E2 levels after adjustment for age, BMI, total calories, current smoking, alcohol, cholesterol consumption, and day of sampling. Early follicular phase E2 increased from 28.2 pg/mL for women consuming < or =100 mg of caffeine to 45.2 pg/mL for women consuming > or =500 mg of caffeine per day, about a 70% increase.
CONCLUSION(S):
Coffee consumption and total caffeine use may increase early follicular phase E2 levels independent of related habits of alcohol or tobacco use."

Here is Ray Peat's response

"Cancer. 2009 Jun 15;115(12):2765-74. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24328.
Relationship between caffeine intake and plasma sex hormone concentrations in premenopausal and postmenopausal women.
Kotsopoulos J, Eliassen AH, Missmer SA, Hankinson SE, Tworoger SS.
Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA. [email protected]
BACKGROUND:
Circulating estrogens and androgens are important factors in the development of various female cancers. Caffeine intake may decrease risk of breast and ovarian cancer, although the data are not entirely consistent. Whether or not caffeine affects cancer risk by altering sex hormone levels is currently unknown.
METHODS:
We examined the relationship of caffeine, coffee, decaffeinated coffee, and tea with plasma concentrations of estrogens, androgens, progesterone, prolactin, and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in 524 premenopausal and 713 postmenopausal women from the Nurses' Health Study (NHS) and NHSII.
RESULTS:
In premenopausal women, caffeine intake was inversely associated with luteal total and free estradiol, and positively associated with luteal progesterone levels (P-trend = .02, .01, .03, respectively). Coffee intake was significantly associated with lower luteal total and free estradiol levels, but not luteal progesterone levels (P-trend = .007, .004, .20, respectively). Among the postmenopausal women, there was a positive association between caffeine and coffee intake and SHBG levels (P-trend = .03 and .06, respectively). No significant associations were detected with the other hormones.
CONCLUSIONS:
Data from this cross-sectional study suggest that caffeine may alter circulating levels of luteal estrogens and SHBG, representing possible mechanisms by which coffee or caffeine may be associated with pre- and postmenopausal malignancies, respectively. Future studies evaluating how caffeine-mediated alterations in sex hormones and binding protein levels affect the risk of female cancers are warranted.
(c) 2009 American Cancer Society.

Nutr Cancer. 1998;30(1):21-4.
Association of coffee, green tea, and caffeine intakes with serum concentrations
of estradiol and sex hormone-binding globulin in premenopausal Japanese women.
Nagata C, Kabuto M, Shimizu H.
Department of Public Health, Gifu University School of Medicine, Japan.
[email protected]
Caffeine intake has been proposed to influence breast cancer risk. Its effect may
be mediated by hormonal changes. The relationships between caffeine-containing
beverages (coffee, green tea, black tea, oolong tea, and cola) and serum
concentrations of estradiol and sex hormone-binding globulin were evaluated in 50
premenopausal Japanese women. Intakes of caffeine and caffeine-containing
beverages were assessed by a semiquantitative food-frequency questionnaire. Blood
samples were obtained from each woman on Days 11 and 22 of her menstrual cycle.
High intakes of caffeinated coffee, green tea, and total caffeine were commonly
correlated with increasing sex hormone-binding globulin on Days 11 and 22 of the
cycle after controlling for potential confounders [Spearman correlation
coefficients (r) ranged from 0.23 to 0.31]. Green tea but not caffeinated coffee
intake was inversely correlated with estradiol on Day 11 of the cycle (r = -0.32,
p = 0.04). Although the effect of caffeine cannot be distinguished from effects
of coffee and green tea, consumption of caffeine-containing beverages appeared to
favorably alter hormone levels associated with the risk of developing breast
cancer.

Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2011 Dec;20(12):2487-95. doi:
10.1158/1055-9965.EPI-11-0766. Epub 2011 Nov 22.
A prospective cohort study of coffee consumption and risk of endometrial cancer
over a 26-year follow-up.
Je Y, Hankinson SE, Tworoger SS, DeVivo I, Giovannucci E.
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA 02115, USA.
[email protected]
BACKGROUND: Coffee has been reported to lower levels of estrogen and insulin, two
hormones implicated in endometrial carcinogenesis, but prospective data on the
relation between coffee consumption and risk of endometrial cancer are limited.
METHODS: We prospectively assessed coffee consumption in relation to endometrial
cancer risk in the Nurses' Health Study (NHS) with 67,470 female participants
aged 34 to 59 in 1980. Cumulative average coffee intake was calculated with all
available questionnaires to assess long-term effects. Cox regression models were
used to calculate incidence rate ratios (RR), controlling for other risk factors.
RESULTS: Fewer than 4 cups of coffee per day were not associated with endometrial
cancer risk. However, women who consumed 4 or more cups of coffee had 25% lower
risk of endometrial cancer than those who consumed less than 1 cup per day
(multivariable RR = 0.75; 95% CI = 0.57-0.97; P(trend) = 0.02). We found the
similar association with caffeinated coffee consumption (RR for ≥4 vs. <1 cup/d =
0.70; 95% CI = 0.51-0.95). For decaffeinated coffee consumption, a suggestive
inverse association was found among women who consumed 2 or more cups per day
versus <1 cup/mo. Tea consumption was not associated with endometrial cancer
risk.
CONCLUSIONS: These prospective data suggest that four or more cups of coffee per
day are associated with a lower risk of endometrial cancer.
IMPACT: Drinking of coffee, given its widespread consumption, might be an
additional strategy to reduce endometrial cancer risk. However, addition of
substantial sugar and cream to coffee could offset any potential benefits.

Breast Cancer Res. 2011 May 14;13(3):R49. doi: 10.1186/bcr2879.
Coffee consumption modifies risk of estrogen-receptor negative breast cancer.
Li J, Seibold P, Chang-Claude J, Flesch-Janys D, Liu J, Czene K, Humphreys K,
Hall P.
Department of Medical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Karolinska Institutet,
Stockholm, Sweden. [email protected]
INTRODUCTION: Breast cancer is a complex disease and may be sub-divided into
hormone-responsive (estrogen receptor (ER) positive) and non-hormone-responsive
subtypes (ER-negative). Some evidence suggests that heterogeneity exists in the
associations between coffee consumption and breast cancer risk, according to
different estrogen receptor subtypes. We assessed the association between coffee
consumption and postmenopausal breast cancer risk in a large population-based
study (2,818 cases and 3,111 controls), overall, and stratified by ER tumour
subtypes.
METHODS: Odds ratios (OR) and corresponding 95% confidence intervals (CI) were
estimated using the multivariate logistic regression models fitted to examine
breast cancer risk in a stratified case-control analysis. Heterogeneity among ER
subtypes was evaluated in a case-only analysis, by fitting binary logistic
regression models, treating ER status as a dependent variable, with coffee
consumption included as a covariate.
RESULTS: In the Swedish study, coffee consumption was associated with a modest
decrease in overall breast cancer risk in the age-adjusted model (OR> 5 cups/day
compared to OR≤ 1 cup/day: 0.80, 95% CI: 0.64, 0.99, P trend = 0.028). In the
stratified case-control analyses, a significant reduction in the risk of
ER-negative breast cancer was observed in heavy coffee drinkers (OR> 5 cups/day
compared to OR≤ 1 cup/day : 0.43, 95% CI: 0.25, 0.72, P trend = 0.0003) in a
multivariate-adjusted model. The breast cancer risk reduction associated with
higher coffee consumption was significantly higher for ER-negative compared to
ER-positive tumours (P heterogeneity (age-adjusted) = 0.004).
CONCLUSIONS: A high daily intake of coffee was found to be associated with a
statistically significant decrease in ER-negative breast cancer among
postmenopausal women.

Ann Epidemiol. 1992 May;2(3):241-7.
Pregnancy estrogens in relation to coffee and alcohol intake.
Petridou E, Katsouyanni K, Spanos E, Skalkidis Y, Panagiotopoulou K, Trichopoulos
D.
Department of Hygiene and Epidemiology, University of Athens Medical School,
Greece.
Total estrogen (TE), estradiol (E2), estriol (E3), and human placental lactogen
(hPL) levels were determined by radioimmunoassay in the blood of 141 pregnant
women during their 26th and 31st weeks of pregnancy and the results were studied
in relation to coffee and alcohol intake. After controlling for maternal age,
maternal weight at the corresponding week of pregnancy, parity, and tobacco
smoking, as well as for mutual confounding effects, coffee intake, ascertained at
the 26th week, was found to be negatively related to pregnancy E2 levels (P =
0.04 during the 26th week, and P = .16 during the 31st week), whereas alcohol
intake, also ascertained at the 26th week, was found to be positively related to
pregnancy TE levels (P = .04 during the 26th week, and P = .18 during the 31st
week). The negative relation between coffee consumption on the one hand and E2
(and possibly TE) levels on the other may be responsible for the inverse
association between maternal coffee intake and birth weight; the latter
association has been repeatedly confirmed in the literature, although it was
neither strong nor statistically significant in the present study. The relations
of maternal coffee and alcohol consumption with pregnancy estrogen levels, if
confirmed, could be utilized in studies exploring the role of prenatal exposure
to these hormones in the etiology of gonadal germ-cell tumors and possibly other
diseases.

Nutr J. 2012 Oct 19;11:86. doi: 10.1186/1475-2891-11-86.
The effects of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee on sex hormone-binding
globulin and endogenous sex hormone levels: a randomized controlled trial.
Wedick NM, Mantzoros CS, Ding EL, Brennan AM, Rosner B, Rimm EB, Hu FB, van Dam
RM.
Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health, 665 Huntington Ave,
Boston, MA 02115, USA. [email protected]
BACKGROUND: Findings from observational studies suggest that sex hormone-binding
globulin (SHBG) and endogenous sex hormones may be mediators of the putative
relation between coffee consumption and lower risk of type 2 diabetes. The
objective of this study was to evaluate the effects of caffeinated and
decaffeinated coffee on SHBG and sex hormone levels.
FINDINGS: After a two-week run-in phase with caffeine abstention, we conducted an
8-week parallel-arm randomized controlled trial. Healthy adults (n = 42) were
recruited from the Boston community who were regular coffee consumers,
nonsmokers, and overweight. Participants were randomized to five 6-ounce cups of
caffeinated or decaffeinated instant coffee or water (control group) per day
consumed with each meal, mid-morning, and mid-afternoon. The main outcome
measures were SHBG and sex hormones [i.e., testosterone, estradiol,
dehydroepiandrosterone sulfate]. No significant differences were found between
treatment groups for any of the studied outcomes at week 8. At 4 weeks,
decaffeinated coffee was associated with a borderline significant increase in
SHBG in women, but not in men. At week 4, we also observed several differences in
hormone concentrations between the treatment groups. Among men, consumption of
caffeinated coffee increased total testosterone and decreased total and free
estradiol. Among women, decaffeinated coffee decreased total and free
testosterone and caffeinated coffee decreased total testosterone.
CONCLUSIONS: Our data do not indicate a consistent effect of caffeinated coffee
consumption on SHBG in men or women, however results should be interpreted with
caution given the small sample size. This is the first randomized trial
investigating the effects of caffeinated and decaffeinated coffee on SHBG and sex
hormones and our findings necessitate further examination in a larger
intervention trial."

[ modereator edit: discussion in Coffee [Cortisol, Estrogen] ]

Last edited by a moderator:

mandance

Ray Peats response to getting off antidepressant use.

Keeping the metabolic rate and cholesterol up is important, so that repair and adaptation will be quick. Progesterone reduces pain and anxiety, and pregnenolone would be the most convenient supplement for men, but it's hard to find products without allergens. Combining progesterone and DHEA or testosterone can produce the stabilizing effect without suppressing the libido. Benadryl and cyproheptadine are probably both helpful. Withdrawal from morphine and SSRIs and migraine involve some similar processes.

Psychopharmacologia 1973, Volume 28, Issue 2, pp 165-170
Suppression of the drug-induced morphine withdrawal syndrome by cyproheptadine
Klaus Opitz, Ingrid Reimann
In rats treated with gradually increasing amounts of morphine hydrochloride until they tolerated fatal doses, levallorphan precipitated acute body weight loss and elicited a variety of other typical withdrawal symptoms. Cyproheptadine markedly reduced this b.w. loss and abolished the drug-induced withdrawal syndrome. Fenfluramine also suppressed the major signs of the levallorphan-induced morphine withdrawal; however the combination of the three drugs proved to be very toxic. Since both agents interfere with different hypothalamic feeding mechanisms these results are accordant with the hypothesis of Kerr and Pozuelo (1971) that morphine dependence and tolerance are due to a functional disorganization of the hypothalamic centers concerned wit the regulation of food intake.
Psychopharmacologia Psychopharmacologia Look

Acta Physiol Pharmacol Bulg. 1976;2(2):68-74.
Pharmacological analysis of certain mechanisms of morphine addiction.
Ovcharov R, Bantoutova I, Kobourova K.
The effects of L-Dopa, Methysergid, Diphenhydramine hydrochloride and LSD on the development of morphine dependence and the abstience syndrome after its withdrawal, were tested in experiments on 200 male Wistar albino rats. L-Dopa had no efect on the development of physical morphine dependence, while Methysergid prevented its development. Applied in rats during the abstinence syndrome, LSD intensified their aggressivity with no influence on the analgesic effect of morphine. Diphenhydramine reduced the aggressiveness of the rats during the abstinence syndrome. Biochemical tests show that in morphine-tolerant rats there was an increase in the content of brain serotonin, less of dopamine and no changes in noradrenaline. The significance of the brain levels of serotonin, dopamine and noradrenaline for the development of physical morphine-dependence is discussed. It is pointed out that serotonin and dopamine play an important role both for the origin of the physical morphine dependence, and in the abstinence syndrome after its withdrawal.

Drug Alcohol Depend. 1976 Feb;1(3):221-39.
Central serotonergic mechanisms and development of morphine dependence.
Blasig J, Papeschi R, Gramsch C, Herz A.
The effects of different manipulations of brain serotonin (5-HT) content on the
development of morphine dependence were investigated in rats, which were
implanted with morphine pellets for 40 days. Serotonin content was decreased by
(a) short or long term inhibition of tryptophan hydroxylase with
para-chlorophenylalanine (PCPA), (b) by short or long term degeneration of 5-HT
containing nerve terminals with 5,6-dihydroxytryptamine or (c) by degeneration of
5-HT containing nerve terminals by lesioning of midbrain raphe nuclei. With all
methods used, the frequency of withdrawal jumping was significantly reduced,
while other withdrawal signs remained more or less unchanged. Additional
administration of 5-HTP to chronically PCPA treated rats did not reverse the PCPA
effect. Since chronic reduction of 5-HT level during the whole time of morphine
exposure changed withdrawal symptomatology in nearly the same way as did a
decrease in 5-HT level during the time of withdrawal only, it is suggested that
serotonergic mechanisms are not linked to the basic processes underlying
dependence development but that they are only involved in the nervous pathways
mediating the expression of some withdrawal signs.

PMID: 138583 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 1976 Nov-Dec;3(6):587-98.
Physical dependence in the rat induced by slow release morphine: dose-response,
time course and brain biogenic amines.
Laska JF, Fennessy MR.
1. Physical dependence was induced in rats by administration of a slow release
morphine emulsion (morphine SR), and assessed by scoring abstinence signs and
temperature changes after i.p. administration of naloxone (5 mg/kg). Three groups
of rats received doses of 75, 100 or 150 mg/kg of morphine SR. Dependence was
evaluated in each of these groups after 24, 48 and 72 h. 2. The effect of these
treatments at the different times on brain levels of serotonin,
5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid, noradrenaline and dopamine was determined. 3. A
ceiling level of dependence was reached 24 h after 75 and 100 mg/kg and 48 h
after 150 mg/kg of morphine SR. 4. These different treatments produced no
significant effect on the brain levels of noradrenaline, dopamine or serotonin.
The levels of 5-hydroxyindoleacetic acid were significantly raised in
morphine-dependent rats and the changes correlated well with the changes in
abstinence behaviour and temperature after naloxone. 5. The results suggest that
a relationship exists between serotonin turnover and physical dependence on
morphine.

Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol. 2002 Mar;365(3):210-9. Epub 2002 Feb 1.
Supersensitivity of 5-HT1A autoreceptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors regulating
monoamine synthesis in the brain of morphine-dependent rats.
Sastre-Coll A, Esteban S, García-Sevilla JA.
Laboratory of Neuropharmacology, Associate Unit of the Institute Cajal/CSIC,
Department of Biology, University of the Balearic Islands, Cra. Valldemossa Km
7.5, 07071 Palma de Mallorca, Spain.
The sensitivity of 5-HT1A serotonin receptors and alpha2-adrenoceptors
(autoreceptors and heteroreceptors) modulating brain monoamine synthesis was
investigated in rats during morphine treatment and after naloxone-precipitated
withdrawal. The accumulation of 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP) and
3,4-dihydroxyphenylalanine (DOPA) after decarboxylase inhibition was used as a
measure of the rate of tryptophan and tyrosine hydroxylation in vivo. Acute
morphine (3-100 mg/kg, 1 h) increased the synthesis of 5-HTP/5-HT in various
brain regions (15%-35%) and that of DOPA/dopamine (DA) in striatum (28%-63%), but
decreased the synthesis of DOPA/noradrenaline (NA) in hippocampus and cortex
(20%-33%). Naloxone (2-60 mg/kg, 1 h) did not alter the synthesis of 5-HTP or
DOPA in brain. Tolerance to the inhibitory effect of morphine on DOPA/NA
synthesis and a sensitization to its stimulatory effects on DOPA/DA and
5-HTP/5-HT synthesis were observed after chronic morphine and/or in
morphine-withdrawn rats. In morphine-dependent rats (tolerant and withdrawn
states) the inhibitory effects of the 5-HT1A agonists 8-OH-DPAT and buspirone
(0.1 mg/kg, 1 h), and that of the alpha2-adrenoceptor agonist clonidine (0.1
mg/kg, 1 h), on the synthesis of 5-HTP/5-HT were potentiated (25%-50%). Moreover,
the effect of 8-OH-DPAT was antagonized by WAY 100135, a selective 5-HT1A
antagonist. In morphine-dependent rats (tolerant state), the inhibitory effects
of clonidine on the synthesis of DOPA/NA (hippocampus, hypothalamus) and DOPA/DA
(striatum) also were potentiated (35%-55%). In summary, we conclude that morphine
addiction is associated with supersensitivity of 5-HT1A serotonin receptors and
alpha2-adrenoceptors (autoreceptors and heteroreceptors) that modulate the
synthesis of monoamines in brain.

Psychopharmacology (Berl). 1979 Oct;65(2):205-9.
Morphine abstinence and serotonin supersensitivity in man: analogies with the
mechanism of migraine?
Sicuteri F, Del Bianco PL, Anselmi B.
Supersensitivity to serotonin during migraine attack has been previously
observed. Since the attack has been attributed to a critical lowering of
morphine-like factors, we can expect serotonin supersensitivity during morphine
abstinence. Slight signs of morphine abstinence have also been induced in
volunteers after mild (10-24 mg/day) and limited (3 days) treatment. To evaluate
the sensitivity to serotonin, dopamine, noradrenaline, and tyramine in the smooth
muscle of the hand dorsal vein, in vivo, the computerized venotest was applied
before, during, and 24 h after withdrawal of morphine. Venous sensitivity to
serotonin and dopamine (but not to noradrenaline and tyramine) increased 10- to
20-fold after morphine withdrawal. Venous monoamine supersensitivity in morphine
abstinence, similar to that observed during migraine attacks, could be indirect
evidence of an analogous mechanism in both conditions.

Agents Actions. 1975 Dec;5(5):476-83.
The possible role of brain histamine and H1 and H2 receptors in the development
of morphine tolerance and physical dependence in mice.
Wong CL, Roberts MB.
The possible role of brain histamine in the mechanisms of morphine tolerance and
physical dependence is under investigation in mice. L-histidine and histamine,
given during the 'withdrawal' phase, significantly increase tolerance to the
analgesic effects of morphine but reduce the degree of physical dependence.
Metiamide significantly inhibits tolerance but has no consistent effect on
physical dependence. These results suggest that H2 receptors may be involved in
the development of morphine tolerance. Mepyramine does not significantly affect
tolerance, and with regard to dependence there is an effect only on body weight
loss, which is increased. However, combined treatment with metiamide and
mepyramine inhibits tolerance significantly more than metiamide alone; and
withdrawal jumping is also reduced more significantly by combined treatment than
by the separate administration of these drugs. It is suggested that brain
histamine is definitely implicated in the mechanisms of the 'withdrawal' phase of
morphine tolerance and physical dependence in mice, with H2 receptors probably
playing the more important part.

Adv Biochem Psychopharmacol. 1980;22:523-33.
Dopamine and 5-HT supersensitivity in nonorganic central pain and in morphine
abstinence: fortuitous or renal analogy?
Sicuteri F, Anselmi B, Del Bianco PL.
Unexplained pain, such as central panalgesia, might be the most common clinical
expression of a deficiency, central in nature, of the endorphin system. Acute
natural opioid deficiency is comparable to morphine withdrawal in addicts
characterized by vegetative, psychic disorder and the appearance of pain. An
impressive supersensitivity (up to 1000 fold) to dopamine and 5-HT of the smooth
muscle (hand dorsal vein: venotest) is detected both in central panalgesia
sufferers and in addicts during spontaneous (withdrawal) or pharmacological
(naloxone) abstinence. A 5-HT and dopamine supersensitivity, of less intensity,
however, (10-30 fold), is found during migraine attacks: on these occasions,
morphine-like factors in CSF appear reduced or undetectable, reinforcing the
chemical analogy between morphine abstinence and migraine attacks. In the present
study, evidence of opiate receptors in the human vein is also provided: 5-HT
venospasms, inhibited by morphine, promptly emerge when naloxone is inoculated
locally.

Headache. 1976 Sep;16(4):145-59.
Hypothesis: migraine, a central biochemical dysnociception.
Sicuteri F.

Headache. 1979 May;19(4):232-3.
Phenomenal similarities of migraine and morphine abstinence.
Sicuteri F.

mandance

Ray Peat continued:

I knew someone who had been addicted to morphine and alcohol for 30 years, who was drinking quarts of beer and wine daily when he didn't have morphine, who had an opportunity for a good job if he could get sober. Starting progesterone at bedtime (and stopping the wine), he said it was the first time he didn't have a hangover in the morning. He used enough progesterone to neuter most people, but said it didn't affect his sex function; he was taking a lot of Cytomel and magnesium, but wasn't drunk again as long as I knew him, and his general health improved.

mandance

More Peat

It depends on how much pregnenolone you can assimilate. People would use progesterone in amounts needed to stop the withdrawal symptoms, but pregnenolone doesn't have the powerful effects of progesterone, even in multi-gram quantities, so it's just a matter of seeing what it can do. As I understand the mechanism (migraine, withdrawal, etc.), estrogen-histamine-serotonin rise on a background of hypothyroid liver malfunction, cytomel (and/or sugar, selenium, B vitamins) allows the liver and other detoxifying systems to lower them, and the lower they are, the less progesterone or pregnenolone it takes to block the symptoms.

Again, talking about withdrawing from antidepressants.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals