Serotonin And Nitric Oxide Are The True Causes Of Migraine

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about the connections between serotonin and migraine, but AFAIK he did not name a direct causative agent. This study claims that serotonin causes release of nitric oxide in the meningeal area of the brain and spinal cord and that is the cause of migraine.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... ated=false

The study also implicates a specific serotonin "receptor" where serotonin exerts its action and causes release of NO. The "receptor" is 5-HT2B. A very potent antagonist at that (and others) receptor is cyproheptadine, and not surprisingly there are a number of studies showing that cyproheptadine does indeed reduce migraine symptoms.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24255866

Finally, if NO is the direct cause of migraine then agents that reduce NO production should be helpful as well. Two of the better known ones are niacinamide and vitamin B12. I think aspirin has some anti-NO action as well.

Wilfrid

Re: Serotonin and nitric oxide are the true causes of migrai

Good info, haidut.

For the B12 part, I think that Ray wrote briefly about the hydroxo- form of B12 for reducing NO production in one of his newsletter.

“One of the most interesting approaches to inhibiting carbon monoxide production is to use vitamin B12, as hydroxocobalamin, as an antidote to nitric oxide, preventing the nitric oxide from stimulating the formation of heme oxygenase. Wherever carbon monoxide mediates a biological malfunction, as in acquired immunodeficiency, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer, vitamin B12 seems to have a place as a detoxicant.”

However, this attribution of NO scavenging to solely hydroxocobalamin is because, I think, of the specific research done on it, but the adenosylcobalamin form is probably the real deal here.

http://www.hy-ls.org/index.php/hyls/art ... load/92/74

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

Wilfrid said:
Good info, haidut.

For the B12 part, I think that Ray wrote briefly about the hydroxo- form of B12 for reducing NO production in one of his newsletter.

“One of the most interesting approaches to inhibiting carbon monoxide production is to use vitamin B12, as hydroxocobalamin, as an antidote to nitric oxide, preventing the nitric oxide from stimulating the formation of heme oxygenase. Wherever carbon monoxide mediates a biological malfunction, as in acquired immunodeficiency, Alzheimer’s disease, and cancer, vitamin B12 seems to have a place as a detoxicant.”

However, this attribution of NO scavenging to solely hydroxocobalamin is because, I think, of the specific research done on it, but the adenosylcobalamin form is probably the real deal here.

http://www.hy-ls.org/index.php/hyls/art ... load/92/74

Very interesting. What about the more commonly available forms of B12 like cyanocobalamin and methylcobalamin? Do you have any references for those?

Wilfrid

According to the reference below, the only potent NO scavenger would be the hydroxo- form.
Cyano-, methyl- and adenosyl- form being, all, far less effective.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2745708/

Still, I would put my money on the adenosyl.
What do you think?

Logan-

Hi @haidut, I have been taking 5 grams of pure niacinamide powder to help aborting migraines. I know this is a very big dose, but it helps a little. I have tried lower doses, but found this to be more effective. Can taking this much niacinamide at once be harmful? I drink fruit juice with added sugar after ingesting the niacinamide.

What are some other things you know that can decrease nitric oxide?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Hi @haidut, I have been taking 5 grams of pure niacinamide powder to help aborting migraines. I know this is a very big dose, but it helps a little. I have tried lower doses, but found this to be more effective. Can taking this much niacinamide at once be harmful? I drink fruit juice with added sugar after ingesting the niacinamide.

What are some other things you know that can decrease nitric oxide?

In doses above 3g it has been known to raise liver enzymes. Peat thinks it should not be used in doses above 1g chronically.

Peater

I used to get a severe migraine on average once or twice a year from 2009. Since cutting out nuts and bananas (I was gluten free vegan and Paleo during those times) they have not returned so I agree that serotonin-boosting foods can cause this. I can only assume the 'side-effects' just built up and up until my body couldn't take any more each time.

X3CyO

@haidut

nitric oxide; i know its a stretch, but do you have any info revolving around migranes being triggered by storms?

I know lightning is one way that nitrogen is sequestered into the environment.. "oxidizing diatomic nitrogen in the air into nitrates" would it be a leap to think that lightning/storms can trigger the division, or activation of nitric oxide in the body somehow on a smaller scale without it having to strike somewhere necessarily?

I think reading the fourth phase of water has kind of opened up my mind more in regards to phenomenon possibly effecting us like that on that kind of level.

My grandmother has the ability to sense storms and how strong they are based on her migraines.

Wikipedia info: "The very high temperatures generated by lightning lead to significant local increases in ozone and oxides of nitrogen. Each lightning flash in temperate and sub-tropical areas produces 7 kg of NOx on average. In the troposphere the effect of lightning can increase NOx by 90% and ozone by 30%." Wonder if that's enough to effect someone just from inhalation or something maybe?

Last edited: