Exercise (endurance) Is Bad For Your Oral Health

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about how tooth and gum health is determined primarily by the levels of thyroid hormone and the overall health of the metabolism. It is well known that strenuous exercise (primarily endurance type, but also resistance type in some cases) both acutely and chronically lowers levels of T3. Thus, this latest news should not be of surprise to people following Peat's teachings. The longer the "athlete" has been training, the worse the effects.
Even more importantly, the study found no correlation between the consumption of sugary drinks and tooth health. So much for the maligned sugar and its "bad effects" on teeth and gums.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/2 ... logs&_r=1&

"...Compared with the control group, the athletes showed significantly greater erosion of their tooth enamel. They also tended to have more cavities, with the risk increasing as an athlete’s training time grew. Over all, the more hours that an athlete spent working out, the more likely he or she was to have cavities. The researchers found no correlation, however, between consuming sports drinks or any other elements of the athletes’ diets and their oral health."

burtlancast

Great find.
Oral health is crucial, considering the only options offered today are drillings/ fillings/ crowns/ implants.

David Kennedy ( dentist) has written a great book about saving one's teeths: he claims cavities are simply a contagious infection ( streptococcus mutans), that can be prevented by applying simple iodine solution on the teeths when a child.
http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchR ... our+teeths

[BBvideo 560,340:3gsm6nyw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApV8anfDvfI[/BBvideo]

"The study included 35 triathletes and 35 non-exercising controls."

Not a great study. 70 people is not a large enough pool.

"and a self-administered questionnaire about eating, drinking, and oral hygiene behavior."

Questionnaire's are not objective. They are not controlled.

Agent207

Saddly its near impossible to keep an aesthetic body in time without resistance training...

welshwing

The teeth of cavemen had lots of tartar and they ate infrequently, but their skulls are still found with full rows of teeth. Skulls that are left in places for centuries are covered in bacteria but their teeth and bones don't decay. The #1 cause of cavities is eating grains and then not having vitamin D. I know because I never brushed my teeth but I drank large quantities of milk all my life and never had a cavity until I began to eat oatmeal and stopped drinking milk. Even though I always had a coating of plaque and calculus as a child, milk has calcium and phosphorus and mine had vitamin D3 so that probably healed teeth faster than acid created cavities. However, people that drink orange juice have worse teeth because OJ is an acid, not just sugar. Only acid can harm teeth. Sugar and bacteria can't. People here, even the admin have complained of poor oral health eating Ray Peat's diet, mostly from OJ, secondly from not rinsing sugar out of your mouth, thirdly from not drinking enough milk. Ray Peat doesn't have great teeth, ever consider he doesn't have all the answers? Everything you put in your mouth is bad for your oral health. Milk is the best food because it's good for you and the calcium/phosphorus + D3 heal cavity formations even if you never took care of your mouth like me. I don't know what causes gum disease, but I never noticed it for 17 years of not brushing or flossing.

It's hard to take care of your teeth and I think dentists are scammers. They should simply tell you: don't eat grains, get vitamin D, get enough calcium and phosphorus. They worry if it'll ruin their business b/c you can prevent cavities yourself. I found the best diet is actually a high liquid diet, plenty of milk and also fruit juice (except OJ) followed by rinsing with water. Because the sugar doesn't stick around long it doesn't even let bacteria produce plaque so no acid. And bacteria only eats carbs, so chewing protein and cheese is also good for your teeth.

Jenn

It's a pH issue. Some people's saliva is acidic, not neutral as it is supposed to be...which corresponds to overall health. Drinking oj or not is a moot point if you are digesting your own teeth to maintain your overall health. And yes, infections can stress the liver so it can't maintain correct pH too.

NathanK

Jenn said:
post 111795 It's a pH issue. Some people's saliva is acidic, not neutral as it is supposed to be...which corresponds to overall health. Drinking oj or not is a moot point if you are digesting your own teeth to maintain your overall health. And yes, infections can stress the liver so it can't maintain correct pH too.
I think how acidic our saliva is is determined by how much CO2 our cells make, which is directly related to thyroid and backs up your assertions. The cell should be slightly acidic making it shrink, as Ray states, and once the acid CO2 leaves the cell it takes minerals in the form of carbonic acid. An electron transfer that made it acidic inside of the cell then makes it alkaline outside (blood and fluid). So if we do not make enough CO2 inside the cell, then it leaves our outside the cell fluids acidic. Thats the explanation for acid alkaline balance, but Im not sure why it means people starting Ray Peat inspired diet would start getting cavities unless it means that they increased their metabolism disproportionate to their fuel intake.

I recall someone once posted some literature from a doctor showing how the teeth degrade from the inside out by leeching nutrients and weakening enamel. I read it some time ago so I dont recall the details. Ask my dentist and he'll say otherwise of course

Last edited by a moderator:

Luann

After watching the Olympics this study is especially relevant, I was wondering why all the teeth on the podiums looked non ideal

Grains are a biggie but my teeth and gum bleeding got to be problematic on all-potato. Then I discovered Americas pesticide, and fluoride problems, turns out fluoride exacerbates bleeding, halts wound healing, studies show this. So, sometimes it's the source and growing method too.

mujuro

My receding gums - which are only really isolated to one upper molar - have improved since I was getting 300-500mg of caffeine a day. I have also been pulling with caffeine powder and immediately after it feels like my gums are incredibly engorged.

Ahanu

Well, in this case I think i will let go of the idea of getting into the olympic team

EIRE24

After watching the Olympics this study is especially relevant, I was wondering why all the teeth on the podiums looked non ideal

Grains are a biggie but my teeth and gum bleeding got to be problematic on all-potato. Then I discovered Americas pesticide, and fluoride problems, turns out fluoride exacerbates bleeding, halts wound healing, studies show this. So, sometimes it's the source and growing method too.
I eat most potatoe for my carbs be it mashed, roasted, chips whatever and my teeth seem OK. I do get occasional bleeding but nothing to worry a lot about. I do agree though that milk is something that definitely protects the teeth and the milk I drink is raw and I've seen a massive improvement in health with it

JohnA

"the amount of saliva that they produced progressively lessened, meaning that their mouths became drier, regardless of whether they consumed water or other beverages during the workout. The saliva’s chemical composition also shifted, growing more alkaline as the workout continued. Excess alkalinity in saliva is thought to contribute to the development of tartar plaques on teeth and other problem.

...Since saliva “has a very protective function” for teeth, Dr. Frese said, having less of it or a chemically different version during exercise could be problematic."

Apologies for reviving this old thread, but I wasn't aware of saliva's protective function. Intense exercise makes most people, even trained athletes, mouth breathe. I suspect that is the mechanism which is reducing saliva production.

My teeth quality has definitely improved over the last few months (based on personal observations and other people complimenting me on my teeth more often). Most of that is probably due to general metabolism improvements, but I also credit the Buteyko method. I walk around in the morning while holding my nose, tape my mouth at night, try to nose breath while speaking, and occasionally run sprints with my mouth taped.

As a result, my nasal breathing has improved, and it's less common for my body to revert to mouth breathing during sports. Before the Buteyko method, a few hours of playing basketball or a long workday spent on the phone would dry out my mouth.

I can only recall having a dry mouth once over the last few months: After a job interview that went poorly. I think my lack of preparation triggered a mild stress response that led me to revert to mouth breathing as I spoke almost non-stop for 30 minutes.

sladerunner69

My receding gums - which are only really isolated to one upper molar - have improved since I was getting 300-500mg of caffeine a day. I have also been pulling with caffeine powder and immediately after it feels like my gums are incredibly engorged.

Doesnt caffiene decrease NO and therrfore decrease circulation and worsen your gumline recession?!?!?

mujuro

Doesnt caffiene decrease NO and therrfore decrease circulation and worsen your gumline recession?!?!?

Well that's not the case for me. Caffeine unmistakably improved my gum health. Besides, I don't think circulation is entirely contingent on NO.

Last edited:

Dr. B

The teeth of cavemen had lots of tartar and they ate infrequently, but their skulls are still found with full rows of teeth. Skulls that are left in places for centuries are covered in bacteria but their teeth and bones don't decay. The #1 cause of cavities is eating grains and then not having vitamin D. I know because I never brushed my teeth but I drank large quantities of milk all my life and never had a cavity until I began to eat oatmeal and stopped drinking milk. Even though I always had a coating of plaque and calculus as a child, milk has calcium and phosphorus and mine had vitamin D3 so that probably healed teeth faster than acid created cavities. However, people that drink orange juice have worse teeth because OJ is an acid, not just sugar. Only acid can harm teeth. Sugar and bacteria can't. People here, even the admin have complained of poor oral health eating Ray Peat's diet, mostly from OJ, secondly from not rinsing sugar out of your mouth, thirdly from not drinking enough milk. Ray Peat doesn't have great teeth, ever consider he doesn't have all the answers? Everything you put in your mouth is bad for your oral health. Milk is the best food because it's good for you and the calcium/phosphorus + D3 heal cavity formations even if you never took care of your mouth like me. I don't know what causes gum disease, but I never noticed it for 17 years of not brushing or flossing.

It's hard to take care of your teeth and I think dentists are scammers. They should simply tell you: don't eat grains, get vitamin D, get enough calcium and phosphorus. They worry if it'll ruin their business b/c you can prevent cavities yourself. I found the best diet is actually a high liquid diet, plenty of milk and also fruit juice (except OJ) followed by rinsing with water. Because the sugar doesn't stick around long it doesn't even let bacteria produce plaque so no acid. And bacteria only eats carbs, so chewing protein and cheese is also good for your teeth.
It's a pH issue. Some people's saliva is acidic, not neutral as it is supposed to be...which corresponds to overall health. Drinking oj or not is a moot point if you are digesting your own teeth to maintain your overall health. And yes, infections can stress the liver so it can't maintain correct pH too.

even pomegranate juice seems to be acidic and irritate teeth/gums? not as much as OJ but not neutral like milk. I think the worst is definitely the sodas with phosphoric acid like coke. not sure about coffee. Oj isn't too bad. pineapple isnt bad. grape and pomegranate seem they could be as acidic as OJ. and obviously coconut water/milk have the least issues.
if you drink milk soon after drinking the OJ or other fruit juice, it should be fine?

Perry Staltic

Distance runners are mouth breathers. The longer they run the greater the effect on the oral environment, which is what the study found. Maybe rather than sports drinks they should drink things that enhance restoration of healthy oral conditions. At a minimum swishing with water to wash out bad stuff.

Dr. B

Distance runners are mouth breathers. The longer they run the greater the effect on the oral environment, which is what the study found. Maybe rather than sports drinks they should drink things that enhance restoration of healthy oral conditions. At a minimum swishing with water to wash out bad stuff.
coconut water would help wouldnt it? its got small amounts of calcium, but its 59mg calcium and 24mg phosphorus per 8oz cup, so a good ratio of those