Aluminium And Its Likely Causative Role In Alzheimer Disease

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray has written about the dangers of heavy metal accumulation. Aluminium is in many medical products such as anti-acids, anti-perspirants, vaccines, antiseptics, etc. It is amazing in how many household products for both external and internal use contain this toxic metal and very few people are even aware of the health effects. I have even seen products containing aluminium being advertised as "good for the immune system" since they trigger an immune response in many people (hence their use as vaccine adjuvants).

http://www.keele.ac.uk/pressreleases/20 ... sease.html

narouz

Re: Aluminium and its likely causative role in Alzheimer Dis

Yes, I've read/heard him talk about the dangers of heavy metals.
On the other hand,
they don't seem to be his Prime Culprits,
if I can put it that way.

For example, before I became a PeatHead,
I was way focused/worried about mercury.
I'm not saying Peat is fine with mercury.
But the metals...he placed my focus elsewhere.

(I am not advocating Heavy Metal Complacency! :))

jyb

Re: Aluminium and its likely causative role in Alzheimer Dis

A couple years ago, as I was reading RP's articles, I read this about those coffee makers on the stove. Those Italian moca pots. I was using one, and immediately stopped. I wonder how much aluminium is stored in me now?

Recent research showed that coffee percolated in an aluminum pot contained a large amount of dissolved aluminum, because of coffee's acidity.
from Iron's Dangers

Dayman

What about water boiled with an aluminum boiler? I have been offered an espresso machine for a good price.
Also do you guys know how safe brass is? again only used to boil water in an espresso machine.

Steffi

Aluminium is the most prevalent metal in the earth's crust. Therefore all life has always been exposed to aluminium everywhere and all the time in high concentration. Interestingly, though, it does not play any role in life's chemistry at all. But can it be that harmful?

Brass is copper and zinc - should be more than safe. Everybody here is talking about supplementing with those. Be happy the more brass is around you (almost all water taps and valves are made from brass, so are keys).

jyb

Steffi said:
Brass is copper and zinc - should be more than safe. Everybody here is talking about supplementing with those. Be happy the more brass is around you (almost all water taps and valves are made from brass, so are keys).

But I also read about *how* the mineral is delivered being important. For example, copper being supplemented in free form (a bit like from a copper pan) being problematic unlike copper from food or chelated copper (as in copper glycinate). The difference could be that in the later, serum copper doesn't go high and the liver has time to route it where it is supposed to go.

kaybb

So I just bought a pressure cooker and the lid has aluminum...on the inside. Is this a no go?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
lexis said:
post 105207 High serum copper means a coffer deficiency

It could, but it is hard to say without also looking at ceruloplasmin, iron, ferritin, transferrin, etc. Serum values of metals mean almost nothing by themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugh Johnson

Steffi said:
Aluminium is the most prevalent metal in the earth's crust. Therefore all life has always been exposed to aluminium everywhere and all the time in high concentration. Interestingly, though, it does not play any role in life's chemistry at all. But can it be that harmful?

Pure aluminium does not really exist in nature. You won't get any from eating sand.

YuraCZ

jyb said:
post 79176
Steffi said:

But I also read about *how* the mineral is delivered being important. For example, copper being supplemented in free form (a bit like from a copper pan) being problematic unlike copper from food or chelated copper (as in copper glycinate). The difference could be that in the later, serum copper doesn't go high and the liver has time to route it where it is supposed to go.
Inorganic copper is toxic. But for example copper in the liver(food) is already bound to the protein such as ceruloplasmin. So it can be safely utilized by the body..

Lin

What shall we do about this? Our bodies are full of aluminum.
How can we remove the accumulated aluminum? The author of the article that haidut cited recommends silicon-rich mineral water. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... inium.html
Some people say that the supplement, magnesium malate, will remove aluminum. Does anyone know if there are any good studies on this?
Anybody know of anything else?

Lin

Another question, assuming that silicon-rich mineral water is effective... Would taking a silica supplement also work to remove aluminum? In the study above, participants drank 1 liter of mineral water, over a 1 hour period, which seems like a lot of liquid!
How about Eidon Ionic Minerals, or something more concentrated?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Lin said:
post 105545 What shall we do about this? Our bodies are full of aluminum.
How can we remove the accumulated aluminum? The author of the article that haidut cited recommends silicon-rich mineral water. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... inium.html
Some people say that the supplement, magnesium malate, will remove aluminum. Does anyone know if there are any good studies on this?
Anybody know of anything else?

The best chelator that I know of and Peat has talked about is succinic acid. You can buy it cheap on Amazon. Also, amino acids are chelators so eating enough protein should help. Citric and malic acids in oranges and apples are also good chelators. Thiamine can chelate heavy metals like lead and maybe even aluminum.

Lin

Okay, Alzheimers runs in my family very strongly, and I am trying to prevent it... I'm working on a way to take more aspirin, but it does give me tinnitus.
In this study, mentioned above, the participants experienced improvement in symptoms by drinking 1 liter/day of silicon-rich mineral water (Fiji). Fiji water contains 92 ml silica/liter. Looking for a way to get silica without all that liquid... Or maybe the liquid is an essential part of the treatment?
Wondering what Peat would think of bamboo extract supplements, by Swanson? since he does approve bamboo shoots...
http://www.amazon.com/Bamboo-Extract-30 ... upplements
Looking at the reviews, I may get thicker hair, :lol:

Dean

diatomaceous earth is probably the best source of silica out there. FYI, Peat is not only opposed to taking silica, but pretty strongly recommends avoiding it. YMMV.

Lin

[
Dean said:
post 105772 diatomaceous earth is probably the best source of silica out there. FYI, Peat is not only opposed to taking silica, but pretty strongly recommends avoiding it. YMMV.
I know Peat warns against silica as an additive in supplements. But that silica is in an insoluble form, like quartz and glass, and likely to cause gastric irritation. This is a soluble form of silica in plants. The silica in the mineral water also is a soluble form. I don't really understand the chemistry though.
I did look up diatomaceous earth, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth Wow, that sounds really abrasive! Do you take it?

Dean

Lin said:
post 105783 [
Dean said:
post 105772 diatomaceous earth is probably the best source of silica out there. FYI, Peat is not only opposed to taking silica, but pretty strongly recommends avoiding it. YMMV.
I know Peat warns against silica as an additive in supplements. But that silica is in an insoluble form, like quartz and glass, and likely to cause gastric irritation. This is a soluble form of silica in plants. The silica in the mineral water also is a soluble form. I don't really understand the chemistry though.
I did look up diatomaceous earth, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diatomaceous_earth Wow, that sounds really abrasive! Do you take it?

My post was poorly stated. I meant that DE is mostly all silica, not necessarily that it was the most advantageous source. Anyway, I have used DE in the past as a parasite cleanse. It's also supposed to be good for calcium utilization, which seemed to bear out in my experience with it.