Unsaturated fatty acids reverses osteoporosis

Suikerbuik

Don't waste your time reading this study. Poor scientists... Science is supposed to bring us further :(

natedawggh

Just because a study has been done and is posted online does not mean it was done correctly, and even if it was, the interpretation of the results can often be misguided or even blatantly misrepresented. It's all in the eye of the scientists conducting the experiment, and if you don't understand the methods you shouldn't necessarily take their conclusions for your own. There are millions and millions of studies online, they can't all be right.

schultz

The study is kind of odd in its conclusion.

"It can be concluded that NS has shown potential as a safe and effective antiosteoporotic agent, which can be attributed to its high content of unsaturated fatty acids as well as its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties."

I would like to point out that they say unsaturated fat, not polyunsaturated fat. Polyunsaturated fat is always an unsaturated fat but unsaturated fat isn't always a polyunsaturated fat. In this study they were referring mostly to oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat, although they do mention linoleic acid in this quote...

"Current evidence in animals also suggests that linoleic acid may help decrease bone loss by enhancing calcium absorption"

However, the study they cite 1 is mostly referring to CLA. Here is the conclusion to that study...

"In conclusion, CLA supplementation over 8 weeks appeared to enhance Ca absorption in young growing rats..."

It also helps to know exactly what the study was, well, studying. Basically they wanted to test powdered "Nigella Sativa" aka black cumin or fennel flower, on ovariectomized rats. The dose they chose didn't seem high enough to me to conclude that unsaturated fat had much of an effect. I think it was mainly due to something called thymoquinone, the "active ingredient" in nigella sativa.

Apparently thymoquinone is anti-inflammatory and according to the authors...

"Thymoquinone [is] believed to exert anti-inflammatory effects by inhibiting the synthesis of prostaglandins and leukotrienes which are the main mediators of inflammation"

and

"...previous literatures on Nigella Sativa and Thymoquinone have highlighted two properties that might be responsible for their antiosteoporotic effects, that is, antoxidative and antiinflammatory properties."

and lastly...

"Kireev et al., reported that pro-inflammatory cytokines TNF-alpha (TNF- α), IL-1beta and IL-6 measured in liver homogenates were significantly increased and anti-inflammatory IL-10 decreased during ageing and after ovariectomy in rats."

Anyway, maybe someone smarter than myself can elaborate/criticize what I've said.

pboy

i was about to post that ^^ , it was probably just a parathyroid regulator, and that's what enhanced calcium status or bone status. They do a study showing black seed benefits bones, and then randomly conclude it was unsaturated fats...it could have been anything in the seed