Zinc prevents decline of thyroid and testosterone from exercise

haidut

Forum Supporter
Human study and the dose of elemental zinc used was in the range of 50mg-70mg per day for 4 weeks.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16648789

"...Resting TT3, TT4, FT3, FT4 and TSH levels of subjects were higher than the parameters measured after exhaustion exercise before zinc supplementation (p<0.05). Both resting and exhaustion TT3, TT4 and FT3 values after 4-week zinc supplementation were found significantly higher than both of the parameters (resting and exhaustion) measured before zinc supplementation (p<0.05). Resting total testosterone and free testosterone levels before zinc supplementation were significantly higher than exhaustion levels before zinc supplementation (p<0.05). Both resting and exhaustion total and free testosterone levels following 4-week zinc supplementation were found significantly higher than the levels (both resting and exhaustion) measured before zinc supplementation (p<0.05). Findings of our study demonstrate that exhaustion exercise led to a significant inhibition of both thyroid hormones and testosterone concentrations, but that 4-week zinc supplementation prevented this inhibition in wrestlers. In conclusion, physiological doses of zinc administration may benefit performance.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
I find zinc does boost testosterone quite quickly but to me it feels very hard on the adrenals.

What do you mean by that - does it give you an adrenalin rush? Makes you feel exhausted?

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:
I find zinc does boost testosterone quite quickly but to me it feels very hard on the adrenals.

What do you mean by that - does it give you an adrenalin rush? Makes you feel exhausted?

Makes me feel very assertive and masculine but at the same time muscle stiffness, loss of caring nature, protruding jaw, and energy/blood sugar seems strenuous.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

Makes me feel very assertive and masculine but at the same time muscle stiffness, loss of caring nature, protruding jaw, and energy/blood sugar seems strenuous.

Since zinc at doses of under 100mg per day increase both T and DHT, and decreases estrogen the increased "maleness" does not surprise me. However, the energy/blood sugar seem odd. If anything, more testosterone / DHT should result in more energy and should normalize blood sugar...

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

Since zinc at doses of under 100mg per day increase both T and DHT, and decreases estrogen the increased "maleness" does not surprise me. However, the energy/blood sugar seem odd. If anything, more testosterone / DHT should result in more energy and should normalize blood sugar...

Testosterone crushes ACTH and DHT is a potent adrenergic stimulator of adrenaline in the medulla.

I definitely feel increased motivation and drive with zinc, but underneath it feels like my stress systems are straining.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

Testosterone crushes ACTH and DHT is a potent adrenergic stimulator of adrenaline in the medulla.

I definitely feel increased motivation and drive with zinc, but underneath it feels like my stress systems are straining.

I posted a study on rats using l-theanine. The amino acid in low doses prevented the adrenergic stimulation AND exhaustion caused by caffeine. I think the human equivalent dose was about 20mg but you can take more as needed. However, like you said in a previous post lowering the stress hormones is a double-edged sword in a hypothyroid person so theanine should be used cautiously.

RPDiciple

Great find. Gonna start zincing up for sure. Is it possible to get overdose symptoms from 70-50mg a day? And what are typical to much zinc symptoms?

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
RPDiciple said:
Great find. Gonna start zincing up for sure. Is it possible to get overdose symptoms from 70-50mg a day? And what are typical to much zinc symptoms?

One study found increased sebum production and another found increased LDL cholesterol. Both studies said this was due to increased levels of androgens in the body. Studies on using 50mg daily for up to 6 months did not find much else in terms of side effects but somebody on the forum said that Peat has mentioned being cautious with zinc since it can oxidize vitamins in the body. I don't have info on that concern though.

kineticz

haidut said:
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:
haidut said:
kineticz said:

I posted a study on rats using l-theanine. The amino acid in low doses prevented the adrenergic stimulation AND exhaustion caused by caffeine. I think the human equivalent dose was about 20mg but you can take more as needed. However, like you said in a previous post lowering the stress hormones is a double-edged sword in a hypothyroid person so theanine should be used cautiously.

Yep.

I will be returning to zinc use since it's positive effects on my libibo and assertiveness are commendable considering it's a common and cheap supplement. But I'm currently basically starting again after three years of trial and much error. I always neglected nutrition and thyroid. Got into this state thinking the constant application of pregnenolone would solve everything.

I'm starting right at the top, antagonising serotonin, preventing excessive fatty acid liberation and improving mitochondria respiration. Then I might work on the adrenal pathways, before adding T3 into the mix, or T4 if I can handle it. Then finally, when the adrenal/thyroid axis is in good order, cherry on the cake is quality sperm and aching testicles. I have a lot of sex to make up for due to health problems since I was a teenager (now 27).

Slow and steady definitely wins the race with my mind, body and soul. I'm probably looking at age 30 before I am close to being healed fully.