U.S. News, etc....

tara

Blossom said:
LucyL said:
Second Dallas Healthcare worker has tested positive.
http://www.breitbart.com/system/wire/ap ... 1a4a14c60e
Today is day 21 from the first time Mr. Duncan presented to the ER and was sent home.

I just heard an interview with his nephew. Sounds like the hospital were not onto it at all. Even knowing he had just come from Liberia, and that he had symptoms including a temperature of 103, they sent him home, then when they admitted him they sat on the blood test using their normal protocols, for a turn around of a few days, took a long time to get him into isolation, and didn't make any attempts to communicate with his family about what was happening - they found out he died from the media.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
tara said:
Blossom said:
LucyL said:
Today is day 21 from the first time Mr. Duncan presented to the ER and was sent home.

I just heard an interview with his nephew. Sounds like the hospital were not onto it at all. Even knowing he had just come from Liberia, and that he had symptoms including a temperature of 103, they sent him home, then when they admitted him they sat on the blood test using their normal protocols, for a turn around of a few days, took a long time to get him into isolation, and didn't make any attempts to communicate with his family about what was happening - they found out he died from the media.
Yeah, the story is tragic from every angle. What a shame. The hospital dropped the ball completely and repeatedly it seems. Hopefully similar situations will be handled better moving forward. One can only hope. It seems rather bleak thus far. My company announced it's Ebola isolation protocol today and it's nothing more than ordinary contact isolation measures, gown, gloves and a surgical mask- no foot covers or goggles mentioned. :(

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dang Blossom. :(

I wanna rant so hard right now, but I will hold my tongue. :banghead

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Pixie said:
BREAKING…

Sanjay Gupta on CNN just stated that Amber Vinson had called CDC from the airport in Cleveland when she realized she was running a low-grade fever and asked them for permission to board that plane and return to Dallas.

Gupta says that permission to board that plan was granted by CDC.

You cad, Frieden. You cad.

http://www.singtomeohmuse.com/viewtopic ... 916#370916

Wow, just wow.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Charlie said:
Dang Blossom. :(

I wanna rant so hard right now, but I will hold my tongue. :banghead
I'll admit openly to being angry for a good portion of the day. :cuss

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Amber Vinson, Dallas Ebola Patient, Says CDC Gave Her Green Light To Fly

A Dallas nurse who took a commercial flight from Cleveland hours before reporting symptoms of Ebola says that the Center for Disease Control and Prevention told her it was okay to fly.

Vinson told CBS Dallas Fort Worth that she was feeling ill before boarding her flight. She had a low grade fever, but she said that officials told her it was okay to get on the plane. Vinson told CBS that she called the CDC several times with concerns.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/1 ... mg00000067

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Dallas leaders prepare to request state disaster declaration

Dallas County leaders are preparing to request a state disaster declaration because of the Ebola crisis.

The commissioners will meet Thursday to request additional state funding and resources.

The cost to the county for the first Ebola patient alone, Thomas Eric Duncan, was more than $1 million.

There have now been three people diagnosed in Dallas.

The latest, 29-year-old Amber Vinson, is a nurse who had extensive contact with Duncan before his death.

She is also the first Dallas patient to be transferred out of state for specialized treatment.

http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/26798025/ ... eclaration

LucyL

Blossom said:
LucyL said:

Still amazing none of his first contacts have become ill, as he was pretty sick by the time he was admitted. Good news though. Something still doesn't add up as to how it got out of control so fast in west Africa.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
LucyL said:
Blossom said:
LucyL said:

Still amazing none of his first contacts have become ill, as he was pretty sick by the time he was admitted. Good news though. Something still doesn't add up as to how it got out of control so fast in west Africa.
There's a lot that doesn't add up about all of this. I do wonder if there is more going on that's being withheld from the public. I can't help but be a bit skeptical.

tara

LucyL said:
Blossom said:
LucyL said:

Hope the terrible treatment he was given doesn't discourage others from seeking help if they start to show symptoms.

Doesn't seem that fast - started in December last year. I wonder if it could have been stopped if they'd received enough relevant support at the beginning.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
tara said:
LucyL said:
Blossom said:
LucyL said:

Hope the terrible treatment he was given doesn't discourage others from seeking help if they start to show symptoms.

Doesn't seem that fast - started in December last year. I wonder if it could have been stopped if they'd received enough relevant support at the beginning.
I totally missed the part where the outbreak started last December. For some reason I thought I had read it was in March or April of this year. That does make the situation in the U.S. and Europe seem more hopeful.
This is terrible to consider but I've wondered if Mr. Duncan had received better care or actually survived if that would have encouraged more West Africans to travel abroad for treatment. I'm certain I'm not the only one to have thought this. I do believe (and possibly naively) that after the initial series of blunders they probably did try to save him. It's too bad his blood type excluded him from a blood transfusion from a Ebola survivor. I'm not thrilled that he lied to get here but I still wouldn't wish the man dead.

LucyL

tara said:

That's what makes it so unusual. They have Ebola outbreaks in Africa periodically (though never in the west before) and it will last a few months, like this one started out. But then in March, it really began to pick up and suddenly, by June Doctors without Borders were labeling it "out of control". Instead of confining to that corner of Guinea where the alleged index case was it jumped into three countries very fast (for Ebola).

So yeah, why didn't /couldn't it be contained to Guinea? The very first time it showed up, when nobody knew what it was, it didn't get out of control. In April, they still thought they could control it. By June, no.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Blossom

Forum Supporter
So far it seems to be only healthcare workers here in the U.S. falling ill with Ebola at this point. That's encouraging.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
The local news reported today that 5 people are being monitored for possible Ebola in my state.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Things have been silent on the Ebola front. Does anyone have any information?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals