Cranberry Juice Is An Iron Chelator

haidut

Forum Supporter
For those people trying to lower their iron levels and not being able to take aspirin or vitamin E, this may be a safer alternative. I am not sure cranberries are very Peaty, but they are probably safer in terms of causing GI bleeding than both aspirin and vitamin E.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20806417

"...The altered expression of genes associated with iron transport was consistent with the strong iron chelating capability of proanthocyanidins, a major constituent of cranberry juice. The iron depletion effect was confirmed by adding exogenous iron to the growth media. This addition partially reversed the inhibitory effect on bacterial growth observed in the presence of cranberry juice/extracts."

Dopamine

I used to get urinary tract infections when I was younger and my parents would always get me cranberry juice and cranberry extract pills to cure it rather than antibiotics. I would guess that cranberry juice cures UTI through lowering iron and thus inhibiting bacterial growth...

Mufasa

I used to get urinary tract infections when I was younger and my parents would always get me cranberry juice and cranberry extract pills to cure it rather than antibiotics. I would guess that cranberry juice cures UTI through lowering iron and thus inhibiting bacterial growth...

I believe not, cranberry juice has a very direct effect, it makes sure that bacteria can not attach to something. You can feel it directly in your mouth, as it make sure the bacteria can not stick to your teeth.

TheHound

bump. Stan Efferding (he takes advice heavily from Peat) promotes cranberry juice for iodine to improve thyroid function. anybody here drinking it?

Fractality

What about those small glass bottles of cranberry concentrate in specialty grocers? Perhaps a shot of that would be just as effective or more so than the bigger bottles of the juice?

Repas du soir

Would I have to drink cranberry juice with every iron-heavy meal for it to have an effect? Does it only work in the gut? If I drank a glass of cranberry juice, would it reduce iron levels in the rest of my body?

PeskyPeater

Any new thoughts on this from users here incorporating cranberry juice?
Yeah, it's risky. The procyanadins in the cranberry are made up of catechins and they prevent the liver from binding estrogen and reducing excretion. I think it's better to use D-mannose rich extract from cranberry instead to reduce bacterial adhesion in case of UTI.

Mitchell777

For those people trying to lower their iron levels and not being able to take aspirin or vitamin E, this may be a safer alternative. I am not sure cranberries are very Peaty, but they are probably safer in terms of causing GI bleeding than both aspirin and vitamin E.

Iron chelation by cranberry juice and its impact on Escherichia coli growth - PubMed

"...The altered expression of genes associated with iron transport was consistent with the strong iron chelating capability of proanthocyanidins, a major constituent of cranberry juice. The iron depletion effect was confirmed by adding exogenous iron to the growth media. This addition partially reversed the inhibitory effect on bacterial growth observed in the presence of cranberry juice/extracts."
What aspect of cranberry juice do you not think is “Peaty” Georgi?

I’m genuinely interested as I’m not sure if cranberry’s contain something undesirable that I am unaware of.