PERSONAL TRANSCRIPTIONS THREAD

burtlancast

Those, who like dd99 and aquaman, chose to transcribe by themselves an entire interview can post it here.
There's no time limit to achieve the work ( but 2 months max would be a reasonable interval ).

Here are the next personal transcribing projects: (UPDATED REGULARLY)
- KMUD Nitric oxide : : SHEILA and MOSS DONE
- KMUD Sugar Myths 2 : SHEILA and MOSS DONE
- KMUD thinking outside the box, new cancer treatments: SHEILA and MOSS DONE
- KMUD: Altitude 2012 : MOSS DONE
- KMUD: Environmental Enrichment & The Brain : SHEILA and MOSS DONE
- KMUD: Cellular Repair : Burtlancast DONE
- KMUD: Hashimoto’s, Antibodies, Temperature and Pulse : Burtlancast DONE
- KMUD: Digestion and emotion: January 2015 : BSKORY DONE
- East West- Cholesterol and Saturated Fats: AMAZIONAC DONE
- Politics and science: Dogmatism in science by GIRAFFE, SUEQ and BURTLANCAST
- Milk, Calcium and Hormones: East West Healing, 2011 by JUDI and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Calcium and Phosphate Metabolism, KMUD 2012 by sweetly DONE
- Energy-Protective Materials: Rainmaking Time, 2014) by MOSS DONE
- Generative energy podcast with Haidut , by Amazoniac ,+ MOSS and SHEILA DONE
- Buteyko Breathing - Bud Weiss, 2008-09-15. by GIRAFFE DONE
- Nitric Oxide, Nitrates, Nitrites, and Fluoride, KMUD, 2015 BURTLANCAST DONE
- Current Trends in Nitric Oxide - KMUD, 2015-10-16 GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Politics and Science, 3/11/2015: Biochemical Health, by GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Learned Helplessness - KMUD, 2013-09-20 by GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Carbon Monoxide - KMUD, 2013-01-18, by GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Blood Pressure Regulation, Heart Failure and Muscle Atrophy - KMUD GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Cholesterol is an Important Molecule, KMUD GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Life Supporting Substances - It's Rain Making Time, by GIRAFFE and BURTLANCAST DONE
- Iodine, Supplements Reactions, Hormones, And More, KMUD, by MOSS and SWEETLY DONE
- Heart 1,2,3 KMUD by BURTLANCAST DONE
- Palpitations and cardiac events KMUD by BURTLANCAST DONE
-
KMUD: 11-18-16 Vitamin D by GIRAFFE

INTERVIEWS ALREADY TRANSCRIBED: Audio Interview Transcripts | Ray Peat Forum
(59 interviews)

BATCH TRANSCRIBING PROJECTS IN PROGRESS : Interview Transcript Projects | Ray Peat Forum
(6 interviews)

MASTER LIST OF INTERVIEWS:
( about 116 interviews)

-http://gregorytaper.com/2014/09/05/the-compiled-work-of-ray-peat-phd/
-http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2011/09/12/master-list-ray-peat-phd-interviews/
-http://www.toxinless.com/peat/marshmallow

:hattip

Last edited:

aquaman

Hey all, here is Part 1 of the Eluv interview on stress, it's really good, although I find her questions a bit waffly and sometimes they are statements and not actual questions! I edit out a lot of her questions because of this.

Here it is, I did half of this ages ago and finished the other part this week, dont' know what the quality is like for the older part!

---

RP Stress Interview - Eluv - Part 1

If you're really healthy then you can meet challenges without experiencing something that Hans Selye would have called stress, for example if you are not very healthy, just skipping a meal can put ....

Cheers, Aquaman. :hattip
Here's the link to the complete ( hours 1 and 2) transcript: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5546

SQu

Hi there, here is the first half of KMUD 111216 Water Retention. Will complete next weekend probably, hopefully!

Update: second half is now posted in this same post, starting at " Are there any safer diuretics?" which is 30:01.

KMUD Water Retention 111216

Transcribed by sueq

Topic: Salt, inflammation and diuretics

Q: Please describe your professional and academic background.

RP: I studied biology and physiology at the University of Oregon and have taught various hormone and nutrition related courses as well as in other fields, psychology and philosophy included.

Q: So your main interests are around looking into hormones and much of your research has given you new insights into the treatment of many situations and conditions with hormones like progesterone and pregnenolone and others. I think we should start with modern diuretics. We come ....

Cheers, Sueq :hattip
Here's the link to the complete transcription:
viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5412

tara

Thanks sueq!
???farizamide??? -> furosemide or frusemide?
From wikipedia: Furosemide, previously frusemide, is a loop diuretic used in the treatment of congestive heart failure and edema.

SQu

Thanks Tara! I've just edited the KMUD water retention article above to include the second and final part of the transcription.

treelady

If you want to transcribe an entire interview, where is the list to choose from? And how do you know the interview you want to transcribe is not taken? Do we have a list of available interviews?

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

treelady said:
If you want to transcribe an entire interview, where is the list to choose from? And how do you know the interview you want to transcribe is not taken? Do we have a list of available interviews?

You are free to chose .
To make sure it hasn't already been transcribed, simply check the project threads, and this one.

I believe when the projects will be edited into the final full interview, it will be posted here: viewforum.php?f=73

moss

Hello there

I am happy to volunteer to transcribe a few interviews as I have gained so much from this Forum.
Accordingly, I wanted to let you know that I'm in the middle of transcribing Politics & Science
"How Do You Know; Patients, Students and Discovery"

Thanks
moss

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
moss :welcome

That's really awesome of you, thank you. :hattip

moss

Another fascinating discussion with Dr Ray Peat.

Politics and Science
Subtitle: A Self-Ordering World
How Do You Know, Students, Patients and Discovery
Date Recorded: 2010-11-10
Summary: Dr. Peat discusses some of the issues and people featured in his 2010 newsletter, entitled "How Do You Know; Patients. Students, and Discovery". The line up of scientists and educators include Dr. Carl Rodgers, . W. J. J. Gordon (of Synectics fame), Heraclitus, Aristotle, Plato, Pavlov and his student and colleague P.K. Anokhin, Peter Kropotkin, Alfred Korzybski, Norbert Wiener, Ludwig von Bertalanffy, and Paolo Freire. More information about these and other issues are available at RayPeat.com

I: We are going to talk about your recent newsletter. It was entitled “How Do You Know, Student, Patients and Discovery” and the scope of the newsletter I thought was pretty enormous. It ranges from discussing a unifying self-ordering principle concerning the nature of the universe which you can’t get ...
Cheers, Moss :hattip
Here's the link to the complete transcription: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5326

tara

Thanks Moss.

moss

Hello there
I will do Herb Doctors Cognition and Memory (New 2014) next.
moss

tara

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

I'm starting a new set of projects: here are the chosen interviews:
- Inflammation: East West
- Effects of stress and trauma (part 2) (part 1 done by aquaman)
- William Blake: John Barkhausen
- Diabetes 1, KMUD The Herb Doctors, 2014
- Restoring And Protecting Nerves, diabetes KMUD 2014
- Energy Production, Diabetes , Saturated Fats KMUD 2011

Also, anyone who transcribed can suggest an interview after these 4 ones, and it will be moved ahead of the pack.

moss

Hi burtlancast
I am happy to do Inflammation: Herb Doctors. I think this is one interview and not in two parts?
However, the Eluv interviews, Effects of Stress and trauma on the body is divided into part 1 and 2?
moss

Milklove

burtlancast said:
I'm starting a new set of projects: here are the chosen interviews:
- Inflammation: East West
- Inflammation I and II : Herb Doctors
- Effects of stress and trauma on the body
- William Blake: John Barkhausen

Also, anyone who transcribed can suggest an interview after these 4 ones, and it will be moved ahead of the pack.

Burtlancast, I already started transcribing the William Blake interview, but I wasn't able to finish it yet. Since I am writing exams at uni at the moment, I won't be able to finish it in the foreseeable future. I'll just post what I already have below. I got to about 22 mins.

Ray:
In the 1950s I started studying Blake and in 1958, I think, ran across some literature course and wrote a paper on him, no, I meant, 1955, I think, was when I started the literature course and started my thesis on him in 58 and 59 and finished my master’s degree at the University of Oregon with a thesis on Blake and taught a combination of courses, mostly Biology, but a painting course or two at a little college in Urbana, Ohio and then because of mostly the political things connected to anti-war, anti-atomic bomb testing in the atmosphere and such left Urbana and started my own college in Mexico named the Blake College and the Government shut that down in 65, so I taught linguistics at Montana State for a year and tried to restart Blake College in Oregon. That went on for a couple of years with the FBI constantly watching the students and such. Then I went to graduate school, 1968, at the University of Oregon and I’ve been studying in relation to language and Blake’s ideas, theory of knowledge and I had been thinking about concentrating on brain physiology, but at the university I found that was the most dogmatic area in the biology department other than genetics. Nerve theory was a sort of caricature of primitive computer theory at the time and so I found that a really physiological area of biology was reproductive and aging physiology. That’s what I did my thesis on. Since then I’ve just been following up similar ideas both in theory of knowledge and function of the brain and how the reproductive hormones for example affect the brain function.
Interviewer:
Maybe you could say a word or two about, a lot of your work has been just basically, from my impression, correlating a lot of the research that has been done over the last century and maybe you could say a little bit about that.
Ray:
When I ran into the biological dogmatisms of the nerve people, they were basing everything on the all or nothing function of the nerve membrane and from the reading I have been doing and some experiments, I was very sceptical about the whole membrane control of cell biology. Starting from a when I was about eight years old and read about the history of inheritance in encyclopaedias I saw that there was very good evidence for the Lamarckian type of inheritance all the way through the early decades of the twentieth century and it was essentially stamped out by not permitting anymore teachers to describe the Lamarckian theory starting in 1947 and that seeing that the modern biology people were explaining everything in terms of genes and membranes I looked around in the literature contemporary was what we were being assigned and saw that Otto Warburg had solved most of the problems of how cancer develops, for example on the basis of damage to the respiratory energy producing system and that was very convincing to me that people were ignoring him or denying his work had any validity without even understanding it. They always misquoted and misrepresented it and at the same time I ran into the work of Gilbert Ling in the early 1950s and saw that he had demonstrated the irrelevancy of the so called nerve membrane or cell membrane in general and his work had basically solved all the problems that my professors were working on and mystifying really, confusing and creating problems were there weren’t any problems and I wrote to him. I think it was in the fall of 68 and said that you seemed to have solved all these problems that were confusing my professors and he said you just don’t understand science. Science is about prestige and money and power and I’ve written to him two or three times over the decades and he’s been very helpful insightful.
Interviewer:
I think a lot of your research has been about environmental influences on life and countering the mainstream science who is saying that it’s all genetic, that environment has little influence on why we get sick or anything like that. Would you say that’s true?
Ray:
Yeah, except that I see the mainstream as having been exactly where I’ve been except it got shut down financially and in publication. The same time Lamarckism was ???extrabated??? from high schools and universities, the field theory of embryology was definanced and just disappeared, even though it was the mainstream based on ??soundest facts??. The genetic control people, if you look at some ???rezapf?? of the classic papers of genetics you see how hypothetical and rationalistic it is. It’s sort of a it could happen approach to science and they define themselves as the mainstream simply by shutting off publication to the disciplines, but now it’s coming back. People like ??? with his bacterial demonstration of environmental and transgenerational influences. John Kirans is another bacteria person, who has kept alive the influence of the environment on inheritance. There has been a continuous environmental, developmental field approach in all aspects of biology, but they’ve been systematically quieted.
Interviewer:
It seems that there are some ideological reasons. We’ve talked about these before, but there are also some very pointed financial reasons in it, if the environment does affect our health, it means that corporations that are polluting that environment are basically doing it at our expense in dollars and also our expense in quality of life, because they are killing us.
Ray:
You could even see that over and over, every generation has its vary of concentration of the behaviourist psychologists basically defended poverty and oppression because of what happens to the brain of the foetus in utero is purely genetically determined, so the mother can be starved half to death, it isn’t going to hurt the offspring. The medical establishment went along with that justifying basically starvation living for the poor classes.
Interviewer:
All the science influences public policy in an enormous way, so it has had huge reprofessions.
Ray:
The only time I had an actual employment contract was from the catholic university of Chile. Other than the government in the early 70s, they were encouraged to do research on the influence of economic factors on the development of intelligence and I got a job directing a project in the influence of nutrition on brain development at the catholic university in ???velperisa??? . That was part of the social change that was shut down in the coup of 1973 and the whole economic intellectual environment had progressed to that point where they were interested in the people influences in nutrition, but the American influence whipped that out with Kissinger and Pinochet.

Interviewer: So you were there for the coup?
Ray: No, I didn’t get there.
Interviewer: You had the job, but you never got there in time.
Ray: Yeah.
Interviewer: I guess there wouldn’t have been a job.
Ray: Yeah.
Interviewer: Well, that’s another reason that was a terrible tragedy, not only all the loss of life and their stealing of democracy.
Ray: Yeah, but that happens constantly in the US ever since, 1947 seems to be when it started in every field of biology and psychology.
Interviewer: That’s right. You’ve discussed “The Cold War in Biology” before and who wrote that book?
Ray: Carl Lindegren
Interviewer: While we’re accusing Russia of having ideology mixed with science, we are practising it more than anything.
Ray: Even the humanities were subject to the same influences. When Blake College was shut down I thought I would simply shift my activities to teaching Linguistics. I saw that the influence of Chomsky with Pentagon funding had spread across the country by the late 1960s and it was getting into essentially every department of the humanities. I taught a course through the honours college at the University of Oregon on interdepartmental conceptions of human nature. We got speakers from ten different departments and each of them said that out departmental most important insight to human nature is Chomsky’s generative language theory, speaking of totalitarian cultures.
Interviewer:
And your thesis for your Masters was called “William Blake and the mysticism of sense and nonsense” and I bet it’s an interesting reading.
Ray:
I concentrated on his philosophy, epistemology, anthology and ethics. That idea that he was important in all of those areas guided my thinking in science since it went along with what I’ve been learning on my own and that he was putting things together, creating an image of human nature that was very different from anything that dominated our cultural institutions.
Interviewer:
You were introduced to him in school, you said?
Ray:
Yeah, in a world literature course when I was a sophomore and first read some of his poems and saw that his language, even though the introduction to that section described him as a Christian mystic and had his songs of innocence, I could see that there was irony and complexity in his language that was unique in my experience. There was a very good, I considered him as one of the two or three brightest professors at the college, ??Archer Christman??, who let me sign up for a course just in Blake for my third year of college. So I’ve spent that quarter reading people who had commented on Blake, Northrop Frye, Jacob Bronowski, who happened to be a biologist, commenting on the historical setting, as well as Blake’s own writing and that pretty much formed my philosophical orientation to read and figure out how Blake fit in with the main line philosophers Kant, Hegel, Marx and Locke and Hume. Blake had commented on several of his contemporary philosophers and pretty much ridiculed them, as he did some of the scientists and since he worked for publishers as an engraver, he was able to be acquainted with the authors that were being published and engraved. So he and Henry Fuseli, the painter, illustrated Erasmus Darwin’s books and Erasmus Darwin, along with Lamarck, really was the main initiator of evolutionary thinking in biology. His grandson, Charles, sort of degraded the concept and turned it into a kind of imperialism along the lines of Malthus. Stress, capitalism and imperialism were shaping a lot of Darwin’s ideas, but in a later edition Darwin said: Well, I am not exclusively saying that competition between species, between individuals is what… natural selection isn’t the only thing and he said that there are other forms of inheritance. So in a weak, second-handed way he recognized that his grandfather and Lamarck did have some importance. Samuel Butler in a couple of books put down Charles Darwin as a phony for misrepresenting who really thought of the idea of evolution of species.
Samuel Butler wrote for example “Unconscious Memory”. It analysed the thinking of Erasmus Darwin and Lamarck and showed that memory and inheritance are very similar biological processes. If you look at it in terms of present biology it was reduced to the idea that genes are always under the influence of chemical modification other than the DNA-bases. They’re being methylated, for example, and the way they are expressed is modified by several, different kinds of chemical reactions. So it’s a chemical and physical process that blends between memory and inheritance.
Darwin had acknowledged in the idea of ??? something from the whole physiology affecting the inheritance, but Samuel Butler pointed out that Erasmus Darwin and Lamarck had been much more coherent in their description of the process. It turns out, that now we talk about it as epigenetic modification of the DNA and its expression, but for 150 years the Lamarckian view sort of disappeared from the main currents.

Interviewer:
I know we have talked about this before, but why did everyone come down on Lamarck so much? Was is just to justify the social power structure that was in place?
Ray:
Yeah, and they succeeded him at the French institution, denounced him, and said that he basically was an anti-Christian with his ideas contradicting the bible. So there was a lot of Christian theological attack during the 19th-century. The current issue tries to put evolution on the side of progress and science and put religion against all that, which they were in the case of Lamarck, but with Darwin he became the empiralists philosophers

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

moss said:
Hi burtlancast
I am happy to do Inflammation: Herb Doctors. I think this is one interview and not in two parts?
However, the Eluv interviews, Effects of Stress and trauma on the body is divided into part 1 and 2?
moss

You're correct about the Eluv interview ( there are 2 parts); the stress interview does have 2 parts as well: http://uploadingit.com/file/ybsawd6whcr ... ritalk.mp3
http://uploadingit.com/file/andzduzhquz ... ritalk.mp3

Here's the master list of interviews: http://gregorytaper.com/2014/09/05/the- ... -peat-phd/

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals