PERSONAL TRANSCRIPTIONS THREAD

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Milklove said:
Burtlancast, I already started transcribing the William Blake interview, but I wasn't able to finish it yet. Since I am writing exams at uni at the moment, I won't be able to finish it in the foreseeable future. I'll just post what I already have below. I got to about 22 mins.

EXcellent ! :D
We'll take it from there.

moss

burtlancast, thanks for the master list of interviews - Should have them all done by end of weekend!!
To confirm that I will do Inflammation: Herb Doctors and Cognition and Memory: Herb Doctors has just been completed and will be verified by Sheila and posted soonest.
moss

johns74

moss said:
I: Can you give us some sense of time what year were you reading the Little Blue Books?

RP: Oh right after I learned to read Alley Oop and such I went right to the Little Blue Books - probably 1940.

lol, when he was 3 or 4?

moss

It's not surprising that Dr Peat was already soaking up knowledge as a small child - and we are the beneficiaries of that storehouse of knowledge.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

moss said:
burtlancast, thanks for the master list of interviews - Should have them all done by end of weekend!!
330px-John_Wayne_-_still_portrait.jpg

That will be the day.

EDIT: I've just updated the transcripts section with a half dozen transcripts found on the net.
Right now, 20 out 92 interviews are transcribed.

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

For those interested in editing WORD/PDF files with the interviews, i've played around a little with WORD and finally chose these settings:
- Font size: 12
- Font type: Times new roman
- Paragraph alignment: justify
- Page size: width: 21 cm
height: 27,94 cm
- Left and right margins: 3,3 cm
- Interviewer text in italic
- Interviewer / Ray Peat initials in bold

Bskory

Here's the first half of latest Herb Doctors interview. Second half will be done beginning of the week.

Raymond Peat, Ph.D.
You are what you Eat

2014, Herb Doctors​

Q: So, you are what you eat. This phrase is come to us via quite a torturous route. Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin wrote in Physiologie du Goût, ou Méditations de Gastronomie Transcendante in 1826 saying "Tell me what you eat and I will tell you what you are." In an essay titled "Concerning Spiritualism and Materialism" 1863-1864 Ludwig Andreas Feuerbach wrote, "As man is what he eats." Neither meant...

Cheers, Bskory :hattip
Here's the link to the complete transcript: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5489

tara

Welcome Bskory :welcome
and thanks for the transcript. :)

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

:woo Cheers Bskory
Awesome

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

The more one listens to Ray, the more one realizes his interviews contain an AMAZING amount of info not found originally in his articles, clarifying and complementing those.

Bskory

KWAI 1080 AM Interview - Part 1

Raymond Peat, Ph.D.
KWAI 1080 AM Interview - Part 1

2012, KWAI 1080 AM

Q: What caused you to get into this field (working with hormones)?

RP: I had been teaching linguistics and teaching, alternately, but I had been interested in science from childhood - but I saw medical so-called science going off in very perverse directions through the 1950s. So...

Cheers Bskory :hattip
Here's the link to the complete transcript: viewtopic.php?f=73&t=5526

tara

Thanks Bskory :thankyou

Bskory

KWAI 1080 AM Interview - Part 2

Raymond Peat, Ph. D.
KWAI 1080 AM Interview - Part 2
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/68870/RayPeat5_12_12_edit.mp3
2012, KWAI 1080 AM

Q: I have in front of me a book you wrote, "Mind and Tissue," about Russian research on the human brain. In the news lately there's all this talk about brain damage to the football players in our country. Are you familiar with this story?

RP: Not recently, but I know that there's a lot of brain damage in football.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit about this book, "Mind and Tissue," and the research you have on the human brain and how things work?

RP: Maybe you've been hearing about the use of progesterone. I think they say it's in the last stage of clinical trials before getting approval to use progesterone for treating brain injury. After many years of animal studies treating with progesterone, they've advanced to the applying it to people with recent brain injuries. It has the same good effects in humans as it does in animals. Even if you cut out a nerve... in a rabbit study for example, several years ago, they removed a centimeter of nerve and then put a fiber bridge across the gap but impregnated the fiber with progesterone and found that the progesterone even facilitated the complete regeneration across a missing piece of nerve. The Russian research interested me because there were here and there across Europe in the 18th century, there were a few researchers thinking in an integral way about what an organism is and what sickness is, and realizing that the whole organism is involved in the sickness process, and the thing that most obviously makes a whole organism a unit is the brain and the nervous system. And that's something that people have been aware of for thousands of years, but in the 18th century a few doctors actually started thinking along that line. It didn't go over well in England, Germany and France - but for some reason, a little later in the 19th century, it really took off in Russia. There was a whole branch of medicine that they called "nervisim," realizing that the brain is a factor in everything - cancer, tuberculosis, allergies, trauma, etc. The famous Sechenov, who was before Pavlov, had set the research program to study how nerves were called reflexes and so on. So when Pavlov began studying organisms and basically how an organism works, he looked at the brain - and the digestive system was another integrating central thing to how an organism exists. Pavlov said that the digestive system is an animal's closest contact with the world and it uses its nervous system to integrate its reactions to the world, so he studied the enervation of the digest system, basically as a way to understand what an organism is.

Q: When we talk about progesterone, and we do sell it in our store, people always ask me are there foods that naturally have progesterone in it that they can eat.

RP: Milk and cheese are the only foods containing measurable amounts of progesterone.

Q: I really like your information about progesterone being an anti-androgen. How would a man use this if he were balding, for instance, and would you remark on when you see thinning of the hair in both men and women and what that relates to?

RP: About 35 years ago, I had been experimenting with the oil dissolved progesterone. A bald man in his 30's asked me for any suggestions. I suggested rubbing some of this oil progesterone on his scalp. He came back two or three weeks later with fuzz on his head and was all enthusiastic about it and started telling his friends. I sort of discouraged the use of it because if a man puts on too much progesterone, it has anti-testosterone effects. If a man isn't expecting it and is willing to stop using it or adjust the dose, it might make him think he is losing his virility. Occasionally, I would mention it to a man, but for about 30 years I avoided talking about it because so many men were just obsessed with the idea of growing hair. And explaining what it does to their testosterone was too involved.

Q: But how would it affect a baby boy - say if you had a baby who has brain damage...

RP: Oh, sure! If there's any - when a man has something more serious than baldness, I don't hesitate to tell him what it does physiologically. A child - the same thing - if they have something really serious, then you don't mind if they delay their puberty a while.

Q: And so that's all do is it would delay their puberty? It would not make them become transsexual or something odd like that?

RP: There hasn't been much research using it on kids or even young animals, but animal studies suggest that delaying puberty is very, very good for the personality and general health of the animal. The more stress they are under, the earlier puberty begins. And precocious puberty is starting to be a big problem around the world -because of exposure to estrogens and such. The brain basically stops developing at puberty. And so in countries where the diet doesn't have so much polyunsaturated fats, puberty used to come around the age of 18 in places that had a lot of coconut in the diet, for example. The brain and personality have a lot more chance to develop if it's delayed for several years.

Q: What about if you had a baby boy who fell into that autistic spectrum and you wanted to use pregnenolone and progesterone? Is there any precautions we should take into consideration?

RP: Pregnenolone is even easier to use. It doesn't have any known so-called hormonal effects in the cell. It does seem to help the body handle the disposition of water but apart from that and the tone of connective tissue and smooth muscle and such, those aren't recognized as hormone effects. So, pregnenolone isn't considered a hormone but is a precursor, like a nutrient for any tissue that does use the steroid hormones. It just helps balance the things that the body is naturally trying to do, where progesterone will neutralize the androgens as well as the estrogens. The reason progesterone becomes such a massive component in a pregnant woman is that it stabilizes every physiological process. It's there in these massive amounts - 100's of mg of it being produced every day (late in the pregnancy process). Those huge amounts prevent any surges of estrogen or testosterone or cortisol - anything that destabilizes the developmental process - is blocked by these huge amounts of progesterone so that - for example, the adrenal steroid aldosterone that regulates salt balances, if you have too much aldosterone and a lot of progesterone, you don't have salt retention the way you would with just too much aldosterone. And if you don't have any aldosterone but you have lots of progesterone you don't lose salt catastrophically the way you would just with the deficiency of [aldosterone]. All of the steroids' functions are represented in the single molecule of progesterone, even without its being converted into anything else. For example, in 1940's Hans Selye was studying all of the steroids and having his assistants inject large amounts against all kinds of different conditions. Even removing the adrenal glands from a rat, if they were giving these large injections of progesterone, the rat would live with perfect health a fully normal lifespan - no adrenal glands at all, just progesterone.

Q: Since you mentioned how profound a role progesterone plays in brain development in babies, if that were missed out on during the pregnancy could someone compensate somewhat afterward? Give their child pregnenolone or progesterone to try to repair some of that damage?

RP: That was sort of overlooked because of the doctrine that the brain and the heart don't regenerate, but now in the last 10 or 20 years since stem cells have been recognized, a few people are starting to think about that. Stein's studies [John Stein?] of brain injury show that the progesterone is actually helping to regenerate the destroyed parts of the brain, but the animal studies show that the brain really continues growing throughout the lifespan. About 40 years ago, a sort of compendium of changes that occur during the aging process measured the amount of DNA in the brain and found that human brain contains a steadily increasing quantity of DNA up to the age of 90 and more, showing that cells keep increasing throughout the whole adult life span, contrary to the idea that growth is something that happens only in childhood.

Q: If I wanted to administer pregnenolone to one of my grandchildren what would a good average dose be for a child if you wanted to try to repair some brain cell damage?

No one has ever studied that officially. For an adult, even with 10 or 15 mg I've seen people snap out of a depressed mood minutes after taking 10-15 mg, and the body produces about 30 mg/day of pregnenolone, at least. 30-60, something like that. Even those very small doses are sometimes enough to stop a stress reaction.

Q: What if someone wanted to use it for a face-lift effect. Could we use 3 or 4 hundred mg with no problem?

(hesitating) Ya...for an adult I've seen one person had said he was getting no results - couldn't feel anything from 300 mg, and a couple days later he called back and said he had taken a heaping spoonful of and woke up looking like he'd had a face lift. For a year, I took a heaping teaspoon every day on average and ate a whole Kg in a year, so I was getting about 3,000 mg per day, just to see how it felt.

Q: How did it feel?

RP: Very good. But it didn't feel that much better than 100 mg a day, though. You have to be careful of the excipients. So many products have strange junk, and I don't advise eating silica, for example, is something that's in a lot of products. Methyl cellulose isn't good. Just have to be careful of what the additives are.

Q: Is there any pure pregnenolone on the market anymore?

RP: Oh, ya! There's one company in the U.S. - I don't remember their exact name...

Q: Is that Life Extension?

RP: I don't think they have a pure powder without excipients. They do have some good products. There's one company that sells 20 grams of bulk progesterone for 20 dollars. You can find those things on the internet.

Q: We really like your progesterone and we've experimented with that. I know you speak about how if taken in excess, people can feel a little loopy. We've felt that way, and it's actually kind of a relaxing nice deal.

RP: You don't want to experiment with any of those things when you aren't completely at leisure and don't have to do anything because I've talked to people who would take a 1/4th of a tsp of progesterone mixture and feel drunk.

Q: Why would such a small dose cause that feeling in some people?

RP: If they don't have the antagonistic estrogen, cortisol, then they feel the full effect of that much progesterone. Other people if their thyroid is low and their estrogen high, 100 mg of progesterone and they can't feel a thing.

Q: Is it possible that anyone is really low estrogen?

RP: Occasionally, ya. Very slender person sometimes has a safely low amount of estrogen. The healthy people tend to keep their estrogen low most of the time, and when they are in a low estrogen time is when they can be very sensitive to a big dose of either testosterone or progesterone.

Q: As people age and they tend to get the low [abdominal?] weight accumulation, if they're taking an adequate dose of progesterone, why does this happen?

RP: Depends on what they're eating, I suppose. If you don't eat the right things to support heat production and good energy production, a lot of it will get stored as fat. Some people just eat too much fat or too much starch. The unsaturated fats and starches in general are probably the main causes of obesity. The unsaturated fats turn off the processes that raise heat production and have a catabolic effect on your protein (muscles and such) and the starches stimulate the processes that synthesize fat rather than just accelerating the burning of the sugar.

Q: So, I'm going to ask in my own case. I do take thyroid, and I take pregnenolone and progesterone, and I'm still cold. So, would it be safe for me to add some DHEA to see if I could kick that heat production up?

RP: My first suggestions would be to check your intake of calcium and sodium as well as magnesium and potassium, but calcium and sodium are often the things that are missing when someone is putting on fat instead of producing energy. I think 2,000 mg of calcium per day is a good safe standard amount. For example, 1.5 to 2.0 quarts of milk will provide enough calcium to keep your machinery running so you're burning calories.

Q: You don't necessarily recommend it in a supplement form as much as a food form.

RP: No, the best supplements of calcium would be egg shell or some oyster shell from a clean part of the ocean, if you can find that. Even those aren't as well assimilated as from milk and cheese.

Q: Recent studies have debunked fish oil as beneficial to heart health. What's your feeling about fish oil supplements?

RP: Studies like that were coming out seven or eight years ago or longer, like 40 years ago. Yellow fat disease was associated with eating too much fat fish. It was known to be seriously toxic as long ago as the 1950's 1960. When the so-called essential fatty acids - linoleic acid and linolenic - when they were identified with not only cancer but heart disease and clotting diseases, then the fish oil industry stepped in to the advertising scene and started saying that those were the safe unsaturated fats. It was just as the fats that were promoted in the 1950s as they were being incriminated as toxins, then the fish oil came in and said "We're not as toxic as those fats." And that's true - they break down so fast that they don't have long-range effects in the stored tissues that the linoleic and the derivative, arachidonic acids, have. But it's only by being less toxic - if you do an experiment and are feeding your control animals a deadly amount of linoleic acid such as corn oil or safflower oil, and then you add some fish oil, it will slightly block those toxic effects of the linoleic acid - and that's how they do the research to show the health benefits from the fish oil. But if you compare it to coconut oil or butter or no fat, the fish oil always turns out toxic. They were showing toxic effects in humans seven or eight years ago - for example, raising the C - reactive protein, an indicator of inflammation in blood.

Q: You mentioned butter, which happens to be my favorite food. I have a horrible craving for butter all the time. Is there a problem with exceeding a certain level of butter?

RP: You can get fat on butter, but in context its main function is anti-stress and anti-inflammation. So if it's in balance with the nutrients you need such as calcium and sodium to keep your metabolism going at a high level, and adequate protein... and gelatin happens to be a protein you can increase considerably without worrying about increasing inflammation. The protein in milk, casein especially, is an anti-stress type of protein - but especially if you supplement that with gelatin, the balance is very anti-stress and, as a consequence, anti-obesity.

Q: And how do you recommend that we use the gelatin?

RP: Oh, it depends on your needs. For treating inflammatory bowel disease and liver disease, kidney disease, diabetes and so on, they've used as much as an once or two of pure gelatin added per day - even more - people sometimes use temporarily. It's important to have a good gelatin without additives. It generally should be thoroughly dissolved rather than eating it as a powder. It should be mixed with hot water or milk until there are no granules left, so that it's easy to digest.

Q: Would it be unusual for someone to be allergic to gelatin?

RP: Ya, I think it's unusual, but some people think they react more to pork gelatin than to beef, but the only reactions I've heard...where it's mainly just poor digestion of it - getting gas or something.

Q: How could someone offset that initially - could they take some digestive enzymes?

RP: Or, try a different brand of gelatin. Some people do OK with beef gelatin rather than pork.

Q: Do you think Great Lakes gelatin is a good brand?

RP: Ya, they have both the kinds, and they also have hydrolyzed which some people think is much easier to use and they think it might digest more easily.

Q: I'm intrigued that you mention that it has an effect on diabetes. How would that be?

RP: I think it's the anti-inflammatory effect. Diabetes is basically an inflammatory problem resulting from chronic accumulative effect of the polyunsaturated fats that interfere with the use of sugar by the cells - and, at the same time, have a toxic inflammatory effect on the cells of the pancreas that produce insulin. Those cells, incidentally, are actually being regenerated constantly - cells in other parts of the pancreas are gradually transforming themselves into the insulin producing cells. So, it's like a stream of stem cells constantly waiting to replace the beta cells that produce insulin as they're destroyed. But if your body is saturated with the toxic unsaturated fats, every time they get replaced, they are killed again by the breakdown products of the unsaturated fats.

Q: So, are you saying that diabetes has more to do with these polyunsaturated fats and their blocking the metabolic process, than it does with sugar?

RP: Ya. In fact, glucose is a factor in helping to regenerate the beta cells while the unsaturated fats are killing them. Just increasing the sugar isn't enough if you don't remove the unsaturated fat from the diet. 150 years ago in France and England, a couple of doctors demonstrated curing their terminal wasting away diabetic patients by giving them 8 or 10 ounces of sugar per day along with other foods. Where they had been losing pounds /week of body weight, they quickly stopped producing such huge amounts of glucose in their urine, and their weight loss stopped and within a few weeks that they had returned to good health - no diabetes at all.

Q: What are the types of oil that you would recommend, Dr. Peat?

RP: Butter and coconut oil.

Q: Polyunsaturated oils are in virtually every processed food. Could it be that those oils have something to do with the obesity epidemic?

RP: If you look at the food consumption records, USDA, for the last 40 years, you see that fat consumption, which is mostly the polyunsaturated seed oils, increased about 7% during these years while sugar consumption decreased by about 1%.

Q: You didn't mention olive oil. Is that one of your favorite oils?

RP: It's very good for flavoring and has very good drug actions, the so-called anti-oxidant factors or anti-inflammatory factors, but it also has 8-10% or even more of the polyunsaturated fats, so you shouldn't use it in bulk. A spoonful or two per day is fine.

Q: If you have a child with diabetes, from what you stated it would probably be possible to actually repair that pancreas if they abstain from all the polyunsaturated oils and get their thyroid in order.

RP: From the research that is what I think is the case. Before I was born, my father was a diabetic and insulin was already institutionalized as the only treatment. He was putting out a tremendous amount of sugar in his urine and had gone down in weight to something like 100 pounds. He refused to get on the lifetime insulin injection program. He looked at the old naturopathic and traditional medicine texts and found that brewer’s yeast was a traditional remedy, so he ate brewer’s yeast only for, I guess, several weeks. He completely recovered and for the rest of his life was able to eat everything, just like anyone.

Q: Would that be a recommended avenue for a parent to do with a diabetic child?

RP: I think the nutritional factors in the diabetes [corrects himself]... in the brewers yeast are offset by some potential toxic factors. The starch, the high phosphorous content and the estrogen are things that you have to take into account. If you are just curing something over a period of a few weeks, you don't worry about nutritional imbalances and allergic reactions and such, but I think it's better to get the same nutrients from fruit, eggs, and liver, and milk rather than counting on brewer’s yeast to do it because of the possible toxic effects from eating too much brewer’s yeast.

Q: If there was one thing that you would tell someone, especially a child, who had diabetes, if there was one thing they should eliminate from their diet, what would it be?

RP: Oils.

Q: Ok. That would not include butter and coconut oil...

RP: No. Butter and coconut oil are pretty safe. They have about 2-3% of the dangerous fats, but those are a minimal danger compared to the benefits of the saturated fats.

Q: If someone already has a goiter, is taking these various life-supporting substances that you recommend (pregnenolone, progesterone, thyroid hormone and coconut oil) is there any danger of taking those if someone has an existing goiter?

RP: Ya, I think people who have a noticeably enlarged thyroid gland should use a thyroid supplement or a good simple protective diet until they have shrunk the gland before they use any of the steroid supplements such as progesterone, because I've known a few people who did have a huge goiter who took progesterone. It normalized the function of the gland so that it was able to secrete the hormone instead of storing it. They went into a hyperthyroid state, but since they knew what was happening they didn't worry about it. But when women, usually in their early 20s or around menopause, when they go into a hyperthyroid state with a 125 resting pulse, for example, and extreme amounts of sweating and oily skin and so on, doctors will immediately want to destroy their thyroid. But when they know that the gland is normalizing itself, then they can just sit it out for sometimes two to four, five weeks as the gland unloads.

Q: (caller) What do you think is the best ratio between omega six and omega three? And also have you heard of Leptins?

RP: Leptins are part of the inflammation promoting system. It's a little peptide produced by the fat cells which... it was promoted by the drug industry 10-15 years ago as a cure for obesity, but then it turned out that it also promotes inflammation and cancer. So

(program ends abruptly)

Sheila

Wonderful Bskory, what a lot of work, many thanks.
And to Burtlancast, thanks for gathering all the transcriptions already available, most helpful.
Sheila

Sheila

KMUD Nitric oxide is at verification and will be posted shortly.
I am proposing to do KMUD Sugar Myths 2 next, then KMUD thinking outside the box, new cancer treatments.
I concur with BLC that there is a huge amount of informational jigsaw pieces in these transcriptions and the joy of doing so is that they tend to stick with the repetitive nature of transcription (for me). I also note how often I don't quite get the right words first time around which makes me wonder just how much I pay attention in general life, or does the 'gist' just do. I am concentrating and still miss things, and then again! Often it is of no consequence, but sometimes a lapse changes the meaning outright. I guess "what we hear and what was said" is how wars start! Playing around with cognitive enhancers it's easy to see the winning combinations when transcribing as accuracy of this multitasking process shows the way. Throw in some B1 and I'll even add some commas here and there for BLC!
Bye for now
Sheila

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Sheila said:
KMUD Nitric oxide is at verification and will be posted shortly.
I am proposing to do KMUD Sugar Myths 2 next, then KMUD thinking outside the box, new cancer treatments.

They are all yours. :hattip
I've edited the head post to include them, so people can visualize directly which projects are being transcribed.

And to confirm what i've written here viewtopic.php?f=78&t=5521, i agree with Loess that the interviews will need some post processing to make them an easier read, once their meaning has been well understood through our verbatim transcription.

loess

These are all fantastic. Thanks very much to everyone who has transcribed full interviews, to those who have contributed to the batch interview transcript projects, and especially to burtlancast for organizing, updating and maintaining everything superbly :D

Sheila

And thanks to you Loess, for your translations and editorial work. Sheila

OP
burtlancast

burtlancast

Now,

Seriously,

rolling-stone1.jpg

We all do make a beautiful team. :mrgreen: