I think it's important to avoid GMO foods, and especially th

nwo2012

Just so the Peatarians here are clear on RP's views on non-animal rennet (most often unlabelled GMO)

I think it's important to avoid GMO foods, and especially the horrible microbial enzymes that are showing up everywhere, including cheese.

pete

Re: I think it's important to avoid GMO foods, and especiall

Don't forget that microbial cultures have been used for centuries to give flavor and to preserve cheeses, in addition to the coagulating animal rennet. You can either buy real traditional cheeses, or buy the fresh cheeses that are not aged and don't use rennet (or that use animal rennet). Rennet, animal or microbial, is not the only coagulating agent to make cheese.

RP said:
“Recently I saw an advertisement for one of the big additive companies that says that sixty some percent of the cheeses now made in the world use their culture, and their cultures are basically from bacteria and fungus, and their cheap substitutes for the naturally grown bacterial and fungal cultures ... and traditionally they are made with bovine digestive enzymes.”

OP
N

nwo2012

pete said:
Don't forget that microbial cultures have been used for centuries to give flavor and to preserve cheeses, in addition to the coagulating animal rennet. You can either buy real traditional cheeses, or buy the fresh cheeses that are not aged and don't use rennet (or that use animal rennet). Rennet, animal or microbial, is not the only coagulating agent to make cheese.

RP said:
“Recently I saw an advertisement for one of the big additive companies that says that sixty some percent of the cheeses now made in the world use their culture, and their cultures are basically from bacteria and fungus, and their cheap substitutes for the naturally grown bacterial and fungal cultures ... and traditionally they are made with bovine digestive enzymes.”

Yes but most often they do not tell you which one they use and in non-animal rennet cheeses, unless its organic, they almost always use the GM chymosin. Thats the issue, I didnt need a recap on the history or types of cheeses mate as Im well aware of such. ;)

crX

I can't seem to find a cheese that I am not allergic to. The ingredient lists are sometimes nebulous: some say rennet, some say 'enzymes,' some just say 'cultured.' I seem to even react to sour cream, although I need to test again. I had never made this connection with my allergy symptoms before, and I am a huge cheese lover currently out of luck.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Make your own ricotta is really easy.

crX

Hmm. Thanks, good idea. Seems like I've seen a recipe for that around somewhere. Can it go on tacos though? :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
N

nwo2012

Charlie said:
Make your own ricotta is really easy.

And tastes great or anyway youl ike it. Salty or sweet or neither. Been making our own cheeses for almost 3 years now. But yes the ricotta is the easiest by far.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Ricotta with some home made jelly, YUM!

crX

I'm gonna give the ricotta a try. Looks like you need raw milk, so next time I get over the health food store... I wonder how it would be in quesadilla. I guess you can do mexican without cheese, but I don't really want to!

narouz

nwo2012 said:
Just so the Peatarians here are clear on RP's views on non-animal rennet (most often unlabelled GMO)

I think it's important to avoid GMO foods, and especially the horrible microbial enzymes that are showing up everywhere, including cheese.

Interesting, nwo.
I had read something about the "microbial enzymes" becoming pervasive in cheese these days.
Then, Peat was just suspicious and said he had heard some had trouble with the enzymes.
Now...he makes a pretty intense statement they should be avoided.

That takes a lot of cheeses off the list (of Peat condoned),
especially a lot of the cheaper ones.
Personally, I've eaten some of those microbially enzymed cheeses,
and I couldn't discern any clear bad effects...but then you don't, sometimes.

crX

My "seasonal allergies" have pretty much subsided since I made the cheese connection. I'm pretty bummed that I can't eat my cheeses, but thankful for this information. Even the artisanal cheeses at the farmer's market use the microbial enzymes, which they tout as an asset. Reminds me of my old software days when programmer errors and glitches in the product were touted as "features."

Swandattur

Can these cheeses be made with pasteurized milk? I am either allergic to cheese, or else it's the histamines. I recently discovered milk, which I had seemed to have a problem with, seems okay now. Maybe the improvement in my health has made the difference. I haven't tried sour cream lately, but that would have more histamines than milk. I'm so happy about being able to drink milk, now.

jyb

Yes, cottage cheese can definitely be done with pasteurized milk.

Swandattur

I might try it, since it would surely have a lower histamine count. I did have a little problem with milk that had been in the fridge for three days. Who knows? My aggravatin husband may have drank straight from the carton, too.