Halogen Heater And LED Lights Setup For Red Light Therapy

milk_lover

I bought a "halogen heater" (that's what's written on the box) with three heater lamps, each 400 watts. A total of 1200 watts is very warm and bright. I am attaching some pictures for illustration:

My heart beats faster when I face the lamp heaters, so it must be working and I feel overall good. The light is not red as you can see from the picture. It's orange. Is this good enough in the realm of Ray Peat therapeutic light? Are there any potential of unwanted dangerous frequencies that might be emitted from such a heater? If so, what can I do to reduce it (without buying a new lamp/heater)? Thank you in advance :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.23 AM.png
    205.3 KB · Views: 492
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.37 AM.png
    529.6 KB · Views: 486
  • Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-11-27 at 12.18.58 AM.png
    704.9 KB · Views: 485

Brian

It's probably mostly in the far-infrared range since it puts off so much heat. That's not a bad thing. It's probably also very low in UV and blue light, since the color is orange.

How close can you comfortably get to it?

It sounds like a nice light to have on in a room in the winter, but for more intense therapy something with less far-infrared will probably be better so that you can get it closer to your skin.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Brian said:
post 111266 It's probably mostly in the far-infrared range since it puts off so much heat. That's not a bad thing. It's probably also very low in UV and blue light, since the color is orange.

How close can you comfortably get to it?

It sounds like a nice light to have on in a room in the winter, but for more intense therapy something with less far-infrared will probably be better so that you can get it closer to your skin.
50 cm away and it feels warm, any closer it gets uncomfortable.

Last edited by a moderator:

tara

Is there glass in front of the elements? I think glass blocks most of the UV. I had 500 watt halogen lights on a stand that made a good heat and light source till the stand got pushed too far. Felt good to me.

Be careful about paper etc nearby, and about leaving it unattended - would take much to ignite flammables.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

tara said:
post 111579 Is there glass in front of the elements? I think glass blocks most of the UV. I had 500 watt halogen lights on a stand that made a good heat and light source till the stand got pushed too far. Felt good to me.

Be careful about paper etc nearby, and about leaving it unattended - would take much to ignite flammables.
There is not glass unfortunately, only a thin (metal?) web with holes which doesn't block much. So when you moved it far, it felt better? But how do you know you're getting enough red light this way?
Thanks for the advice. I will make sure I don't leave it unattended.

tara

milk_lover said:
post 111595 But how do you know you're getting enough red light this way?
I would sit with it shining on my bare shoulders while at laptop, as close as comfortable - probably about a metre or just under. In winter I enjoyed the warmth. I generally felt better when I did it, so I assume it did me some good. I think I might have got more benefit from doing it more regularly than I managed.

I think Peat and others would say incandescents give a better spectrum, but I figured this was next best in terms of cost an logistics.

Nicholas

pardon, does a 375watt (120V) clear glass incandescent "heat lamp" seem alright for getting general red light help in the winter? not being super scientific about it - just something to have around for general red light therapy to, perhaps, buffer blue light use.

tara

Nicholas said:
post 111639 pardon, does a 375watt (120V) clear glass incandescent "heat lamp" seem alright for getting general red light help in the winter? not being super scientific about it - just something to have around for general red light therapy to, perhaps, buffer blue light use.
Seems like agood thing to me.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 111639 pardon, does a 375watt (120V) clear glass incandescent "heat lamp" seem alright for getting general red light help in the winter? not being super scientific about it - just something to have around for general red light therapy to, perhaps, buffer blue light use.
What exactly determines if this light is incandescent or halogen or whatever? Is it the watts? 375 watts seem close to my "halogen" heat lamp which is 400 watts yet yours is called incandescent.

Nicholas

milk_lover said:
post 111661
Nicholas said:
What exactly determines if this light is incandescent or halogen or whatever? Is it the watts? 375 watts seem close to my "halogen" heat lamp which is 400 watts yet yours is called incandescent.

"Tungsten halogen lamps are a refinement of incandescent technology that offer up to 20 percent greater energy efficiency, longer service life and improved light quality. In a standard incandescent lamp, tungsten from the filament evaporates over time and is deposited on the walls of the bulb, thus reducing light output. The filament gets thinner and thinner and eventually breaks, causing the lamp to fail. The halogen gas inside a halogen lamp causes the evaporated tungsten to redeposit on the filament. This process, along with high pressure inside the capsule, slows down deterioration of the filament, improves lumen maintenance and extends the lamp’s service life.

Whiter, Brighter Light:
Halogen lamps have higher color temperatures than standard incandescent lamps—their light output contains more blue and green. Halogen lamps therefore appear whiter and brighter. Although both types of lamp essentially have a CRI of 100, the higher color temperature of halogen lamps provides more pleasing and vibrant color rendition across a wider range of colors."

i think i read in a thread here that halogen emits more red light....but the peat recommendation seems to consistently be "incandescent" but not sure if this also applies to the halogen "refinement" of incandescents.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Nicholas said:
post 111662
milk_lover said:
post 111661
Nicholas said:

"Tungsten halogen lamps are a refinement of incandescent technology that offer up to 20 percent greater energy efficiency, longer service life and improved light quality. In a standard incandescent lamp, tungsten from the filament evaporates over time and is deposited on the walls of the bulb, thus reducing light output. The filament gets thinner and thinner and eventually breaks, causing the lamp to fail. The halogen gas inside a halogen lamp causes the evaporated tungsten to redeposit on the filament. This process, along with high pressure inside the capsule, slows down deterioration of the filament, improves lumen maintenance and extends the lamp’s service life.

Whiter, Brighter Light:
Halogen lamps have higher color temperatures than standard incandescent lamps—their light output contains more blue and green. Halogen lamps therefore appear whiter and brighter. Although both types of lamp essentially have a CRI of 100, the higher color temperature of halogen lamps provides more pleasing and vibrant color rendition across a wider range of colors."

i think i read in a thread here that halogen emits more red light....but the peat recommendation seems to consistently be "incandescent" but not sure if this also applies to the halogen "refinement" of incandescents.
Interesting Nicholas. Very good info!
So halogen is just supposedly an "improved" version of incandescent. I think Peat does not regard it the best because of, if I remember correctly, the lack of sufficient research on its safety. Quick Wikipedia research on halogens yields the following:
"The halogens or halogen elements (/ˈhælɵdʒɨn/) are a group in the periodic table consisting of five chemically related elements: fluorine (F), chlorine (Cl), bromine (Br), iodine (I), and astatine (At)......Elemental halogens are lethally to dangerously toxic." Maybe he is worried about the toxicity of the halogen gas inside the element. Also look at the bolded words from your post.. Blue. That's probably another reason to be concerned about the safety of halogen light.. Maybe in the standard incandescent lamp, when the tungsten evaporates and gets deposited on the wall, that actually help in blocking the blue light more..

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

UPDATE

I emailed Dr Peat the following:

"I bought a halogen heater with three light swords, each 400 watts (total of 1200 watts).They emit a bright light between yellow and orange and they generate a lot of heat. I've been using it for three months now. Is it safe to use? I've noticed if i stay long enough next to it, my face skin texture gets worse! I don't know if it's doing me any good. I've attached a picture of the heater in this email."

Dr Peat response:
"I think they are safe, but if it’s too close it could overheat and dry your skin."

M

marikay

pardon, does a 375watt (120V) clear glass incandescent "heat lamp" seem alright for getting general red light help in the winter? not being super scientific about it - just something to have around for general red light therapy to, perhaps, buffer blue light use.

I checked with Ray on this. He said it will work just fine.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

UPDATE: picture of my new setup
Screen Shot 2016-03-06 at 7.56.45 PM.png

The AC helps cool off the environment and the distance is good enough not to cause skin overheating. What do you guys think about the light they emit? It looks orange to me, which is about 590–620 nm (the small lights on the ceiling are yellow). For comparison, red light is 620–750 nm. Since there is a lot of heat (infrared) from those heaters which has wavelength longer than 750 nm and this, I think, is a continuous spectrum, it's safe to assume there must be red light being emitted. How much red light? maybe not so much.

Last edited:
OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

UPDATE: pictures of my new red LED setup

I bought two LED lights (each about 480 watts, one small light is 9 W to be exact). There is a switch in the back; you can change the LED light to any color you want. I fixed the voltages to only give red light. There is very little heat almost negligible. Today is my first day. I will update when I get results, weather positive or negative. Meanwhile I am open for any suggestion :)
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.20.48 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.25.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.25.53 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.26.14 AM.png
Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.20.48 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.25.31 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.25.53 AM.png Screen Shot 2016-03-17 at 12.26.14 AM.png

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

I was sitting infront of the LED lighta right before sleep yesterday and let me tell you i dreamed a very nice dream and I still remember it.

So far so good

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

Wow! That set up looks gorgeous!
UPDATE
Libido has increased noticeably. I shine one of those lights underneath my balls and the other straight on the shaft at the same time for 10 minutes twice a day. Placebo or not remains to be seen.
I also apply it 5 to 10 minutes directly on my thyroid. My heart beats faster and I feel warmer. So good stuff so far.

OP
milk_lover

milk_lover

milk lover where you get the red led light
We have in Dubai a big chinese mall (Dragon mall) that has a lot of stores that sell party lights. Some lights blink nonstop and some have only one light setting like white or blue. I managed to find one that can emit many colors and I can set it to red color only. Both costed me around 170 US dollars.

Back
Top Bottom