Best Zinc Oxide Sunscreen?

crX

I've been looking around a little online, and the thing I keep seeing is "nano + 20%, sized particles ," but doesn't specify USP-2. Sometimes it will say USP "grade" or something like that. Is the nano+20% the right kind or do you have to find something that specifies USP-2?

sileindigo

I would really like to know where to get the safe particle size zinc oxide, too!! There seem to be a couple stores on amazon that sell it, but they say nano or nano + 20% particle size.
My husband is very concerned for me getting sunburned, since I have very pale skin. I haven't really gotten a serious sunburn last summer (my first one eating peaty), but have gotten a little pink at times. And I like being outdoors, but don't want to get too wrinkly. ; )
I had been using just coconut oil, but coconut oil with zinc oxide would be perfect, I think!!

Beebop

I would also like to know a good source of zinc oxide if anyone has one (a UK source would be even better!) Thanks!

Attachments

• idealabs-october-2015-giveaway_2015-10-13_12-25-11.csv
    1.1 KB · Views: 31
  • idealabs-october-2015-giveaway_2015-10-13_12-25-42.csv
    37.2 KB · Views: 30

4peatssake

Beebop said:
I would also like to know a good source of zinc oxide if anyone has one (a UK source would be even better!) Thanks!
Me 2 but North America in addition to Beebop's UK request. ;)
Where's Dan when we need him! :lol:

4peatssake

Asimov said:
I use aspirin as my sunscreen now.
Before or after you go in the sun? :P
Seriously though, how much aspirin do you take?

Asimov

The night before and a few hours before. It's pretty anecdotal, but I'm getting burnt less than darker skinned people around me with similar amount of sun exposure.

Beebop

Where did you get the idea for this Asimov? Are you using it topically as well?

Asimov

Just take it orally. I got my idea for this when I learned that sun damage is oxidation of fatty acids under the skin and that aspirin inhibitions peroxidation of lipids.

Then I did some research and found out that, sure enough, studies have been conducted that show that salcyclic acid reduces UV damage.

Some of the studies recommended topical administration, but the whole reason I researched this is because I HATE putting oily lotions on my skin. It's literally made my skin crawl ever since I was a child. I would get horrific sunburns every summer because I didn't like the feeling of the lotions and refused to wear it.

In retrospect, I pat my child self on the back for intuitively knowing that the PUFA that made the lotions "oily" were certainly more toxic than the sun.

At any rate, this is not a fool-proof measure. It helps a little, but it's nothing like slathering on a pound of PUFA and denying all the UVB rays a place to land (while conveniently letting all the UVA straight through to your genome, causing cancer...but hey, at least you didn't get sunburnt). I still exercise common sense when I'm out in the sun. Take plenty of shade breaks, get out completely once my skin starts to get tender.

J

j.

Asimov, any thoughts on whether reduced damage from sun induced by aspirin also reduces vitamin D generation?

Asimov

I wouldn't think so. Aspirin doesn't block UV radiation in the same way as sunscreen. It simply prevents peroxidation of the fats stored within your epidermis, which is the typically the first and most common thing that UV radiation damages.

Aspirin doesn't stop UV damage however, as UVA radiation can (and will, even with zero body levels of PUFA and copious amounts of aspirin) actually damage the genetic material in your epidermis and even the dermis if you sit out for long enough.

I would think the BEST source of sun protection (aside from just staying out of mid day sun) would be full spectrum sunscreen dispersed in a saturated fatty oil (like homemade zinc oxide dissolved in coconut oil) along with aspirin in the blood stream.

However, like I said, I hate the feeling of skin lotions, so I just go with aspirin.

Raypmom

POSSIBLE SAFE PEATY SUNCREEN

Hello guys!

I do apologize for posting in the wrong section a this post will be about SUNCREEN. The following paragraph was from a raypeat articel I was reading about coconut oil. We are going to Cape cod in a few kids, and I was searching for safe suncreen (no luck) So after research many many articles later I came accross this “Coconut oil is very resistant to radiation damage and, like vitamin E, tends to stop the chain reactions that occur in unsaturated fats. The old formula for suntan oil, coconut oil with iodine, might turn out to be a safe sunscreen, since the brown iodine absorbs light, as other ” U.V. blockers ” do, but iodine is also an effective chain breaker that inactivates free radicals, and it can’t be absorbed into cells in its brown form. It doesn’t have the potential for causing cancer that the popular sunscreens do.”
“Decrease the use of unsaturated oils in the diet, and use coconut oil as food and also on the skin during exposure to direct sunlight.” -Ray Peat
and decided to make my own. So I need all the genuis people here to help me out. From what I understood I can purchase iodine and mix it with coconut oil (refined from tropical traditions) and just aply as sunscreen for my kids, husband and I. But I don't know a thing about iodine. I just googled and I found this http://www.vitacost.com/eidon-ionic-min ... te-2-fl-oz

Have any of you tried it ? This sounds to good to be true. There is probably a catch on the iodine :p please HELP!! Before I purchase this product to make up a batch! Thanks a bunch!!

To add to ^^^ would of any you try this ? If so do you think it's okay to add vitamin E oil ? If so what should I look for when purchasing vitamin E oil ? The ingredients should just say " pure vitamin E oil"? I found some, but see stuff like apricot oil, and some other PUFA oils. obviously don't want PUFA but one of them said lemon oil etc…so yes I am a bit confused there. -sigh…

UPDATE/EDIT I found this and it looks pretty clean for VItamin E oil so I'm set here. Afordable too agree ? http://www.vitacost.com/cococare-vitami ... iu-1-fl-oz

himsahimsa

Petrolatum, mineral oil, baby oil, Vaseline (great for greasing your vassals), are all refined petroleum products, consider what might be in them. Mineral oil used to be called deodorized kerosene, calling it baby oil makes it sound so pure and safe (except if you take it to mean it was cold pressed from babies).

This, https://sunguardsunprotection.com/faqs/info_6.html, is a good and effective way to make even fairly light clothing much more ultraviolet opaque. It stains the fibers with a material that absorbs ultraviolet and fluoresces (it has to dump the energy) in the infrared (I don't know the emission wavelength but it would be extra good if it were 850nm or so). I use it on shirts I wear when I'm going to be out for a long time in midday sun (in FL). And I wear a hat or a doubled over cloth diaper with a headband.

Dan W

I went through 6 bazillion sunscreen brands to make a sunscreen page, and found another good option with the same simple ingredients as the Scratch Mommy brand: Butterbean. The labeling is targeted at kids, but it's obviously a good choice for anybody.

Back
Top Bottom