Red Light Therapy, Lights, Supplemental Lighting

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
This post will be about Red Light therapy and the effects it has on the body. I will be pooling together all the information I can find via Dr. Ray Peat and also other sources. I will add links towards the bottom of places you can purchase the correct lighting from. If there is anything that is wrong or that I missed out on please feel free to critique or add.

What Dr. Ray Peat says about red light:

Ray Peat
Dr. Ray Peat said:
It turns out that the meaning of "excess estrogen" has to be interpreted in relation to the balance of estrogen (and the multitude of factors which mimic estrogen's effects) with all of the antiestrogen factors. I have concentrated on thyroid, progesterone, and red light as the most important factors that protect against estrogen, and these all turn out to be protective against stress, shock, ionizing radiation, free radicals, lipid peroxidation, thymic atrophy, osteoporosis, arthritis, scleroderma, apoptotic cell death, and other problems that are involved in tissue degeneration or aging.."

Stem cells, cell culture, and culture: Issues in regeneration
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Subnormal temperatures cause a shift from phagocytosis to inflammation. Light, especially the red light which penetrates easily into tissues, activates the formation of new cells as well as their differentiation. It affects energy production, increasing the formation of mitochondria, and the activity of the DNA methyltransferase enzymes. Red light accelerates wound healing, and improves the quality of the scar, reducing the amount of fibrosis."

Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"(Chemically, the meaning of “a pigment” is that it’s a chemical which selectively absorbs radiation. Old observations such as Warburg’s, that visible light can restore the activity of the “respiratory pigments,” showed without doubt that visible light is biochemically active. By the 1960s, several studies had been published showing the inhibition of respiratory enzymes by blue light, and their activation by red light. The problem to be explained is why the science culture simply couldn’t accept crucial facts of that sort.)"

Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Cytochrome oxidase is one of the enzymes damaged by stress and by blue light, and activated or restored by red light, thyroid, and progesterone. It's a copper enzyme, so it's likely to be damaged by excess iron. It is most active when it is associated with a mitochondrial lipid, cardiolipin, that contains saturated palmitic acid; the substitution of polyunsaturated fats lowers its activity. Mitochonrial function in general is poisoned by the unsaturated fats, especially arachidonic acid and DHA."

Dr. Ray Peat said:
"The pituitary hormones, especially prolactin and TSH, are pro-inflammatory, and darkness increases TSH along with prolactin, so to compensate for a light deficiency, the pituitary should be well-suppressed by adequate thyroid. Armour thyroid or Thyrolar or Cynoplus, Cytomel, would probably be helpful. (Eye-drops containing T3 might be a way to restore metabolic activity more quickly.) Limiting water intake (or using salt generously) helps to inhibit prolactin secretion. The saturated fats protect against the body's stored PUFA, and keeping the blood sugar up keeps the stored fats from being mobilized. Aspirin (or indomethacin) is generally protective to the retina, analogously to its protection against sunburn. Adequate vitamin E is extremely important. There are several prescription drugs that protect against serotonin excess, but thyroid and gelatin (or glycine, as in magnesium glycinate) are protective against the serotonin and melatonin toxicities. Copper and magnesium deficiencies predispose to retinal damage. Red light is protective, blue light (or u.v.) is harmful, so wearing orange lenses would be helpful. Progesterone and pregnenolone, by reducing the stress reactions, should be helpful--in the eye diseases of infancy and old age, as they are in the respiratory distress syndromes."

The problem of Alzheimer's disease as a clue to immortality Part 2
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"When the body temperature is very much below normal, mental functioning is seriously limited. I think the first question that should be asked about a demented person is "is this the cold brain syndrome, or is something else involved?" When it is known that the brain has shrunken drastically, and filled up with plaques and developed gliosis, we know that something more than a "cold brain" is involved, but we don't know how much function could be regained if the hormones were normalized. Every moment of malfunction probably leaves its structural mark. Early or late, it is good to prevent the functional errors that lead to further damage, and to give the regenerative systems an opportunity to work. Before the final "calcium death" described (above) by Fujita, there are many opportunities for intervening to stop or reverse the process. The older the person is, the more emphasis should be put on protective inhibition, rather than immediately increasing energy production. Magnesium, carbon dioxide, sleep, red light, and naloxone might be appropriate at the beginning of therapy."
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/ti ... tion.shtml
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Often, a small physiological dose of natural hydrocortisone can help the patient meet the stress, without causing harmful side-effects. While treating the symptoms with cortisone for a short time, it is important to try to learn the basic cause of the problem, by checking for hypothyroidism, vitamin A deficiency, protein deficiency, a lack of sunlight, etc. (I suspect that light on the skin directly increases the skin's production of steroids, without depending on other organs. Different steroids probably involve different frequencies of light, but orange and red light seem to be important frequencies.) Using cortisone in this way, physiologically rather than pharmacologically, it is not likely to cause the serious problems mentioned above."

Radiation and Growth January 2011 Newsletter:
Dr. Ray Peat said:
"Even ultraviolet light can produce electronic excitation and bystander effects that destabilize cells, but, unlike gamma rays and x-rays, ultraviolet light doesn't penetrate deeply into the body. In visible light, it is only the red component that can pass deeply into the tissue, and it happens that red light is able to "quench" many excited electrons, restoring them to their normal resting or ground state. In a solid material,such as a seed or hair or bone, excited electrons will persist for a long time (hours in the seed and hair, years in bone), but with a brief exposure to red light, they will return to their normal state. This beneficial effect of the red component of sunlight helps to keep plants from being sunburned. If the red light is removed from sunlight, even the blue light by itself is quickly toxic to their mitochondria. Duringthe night animals' respiratory enzymes lose some of their effectiveness, possibly from the effects of random lipid peroxidation, and red light restores their activity."

What other people say about red light therapy:

redlighttherapyinc.com
"One emerging type of anti-aging treatment has recently gained popularity, but has shown amazing results for years. This treatment, discovered by NASA , is called RED light therapy. RED light therapy is characterized by infrared light, which is a unique type of light that has a stronger wavelength than other types of light. This enables it to penetrate deeper into the skin and provide many therapeutic benefits including improvement in the skin’s appearance and structure as well as relief from pain. There is NO UV light associated with RED light therapy.

RED light therapy is able to reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, sun damage, and skin problems including acne and Infrared light also stimulates the production of ATP, an essential energy source used in body tissues that promotes rapid healing.

Because of its amazing benefits, traditional tanning salons have begun using RED light therapy beds as a sort of “reverse tanning bed.” This type of light therapy has become a breakthrough treatment because unlike cosmetic surgery, red light therapy is non invasive, cost-effective, and risk-free alternative to improving skin’s appearance.

Similar to the Sun, infrared light provides a warming effect on the skin, but without the presence of damaging UV Rays. Recommended therapy schedules are 3-4 days per week, for 4-6 weeks. After the initial treatment schedule it is recommended to continue 1-2 days per week. With no damaging effects, only positive results, it’s no surprise that RED light therapy is a great new way to improve your appearance and health.

Aside from its cosmetic and anti-aging benefits, RED light therapy can provide relief from chronic and acute pain including muscle pain, joint pain, arthritis, high blood pressure, tissue and nerve damage, and can decrease injury healing time. Originally discovered by NASA for this purpose, RED light therapy is now used by professional athletes to promote healing with powerful results.

Infrared light penetrates below the surface of skin to speed up healing time. Red light has the ability to stimulate the production of ATP, an important source of energy in body tissues. This allows ATP to promote rapid action by the body’s defenses. ATP helps to increase blood circulation, which reduces swelling and inflammation. Increased blood circulation can benefit those with high blood pressure because good circulation allows the heart to do less work. Red light activated ATP stimulates white blood cells that work to repair damaged tissues, and increases collagen production that builds elasticity in the skin and can aid in wound healing. ATP also activates endorphins that provide soothing relief from chronic and acute pain.

Because RED light therapy triggers the body’s own defenses, it actually treats the sources of pain and doesn’t just mask the symptoms. RED light therapy provides relief from pain and discomfort without the side effects of pharmaceutical drugs or surgery."

Buy Red Light & Infrared Light Therapy Devices By Clicking Here

Last edited:
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
If anyone has advice on how to use the red light it would be greatly appreciated.

I am also confused if you should use red light or infrared. Someone said to use both for deeper penetration.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Penetrating red light is possibly the fundamental anti-stress factor for all organisms. The chronic deficiency of such light is, I think, the best explanation for the deterioration which occurs with aging. Enzyme changes, free radical changes, structural and respiratory changes are all involved as consequences of darkness stress.
--Ray Peat, PhD

bradley

In an interview Ray mentioned the use of a heat lamp. 250 watts, 130 volts. In the winter he said to use 2 or 3.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Did he say how long to run them? All day? Few minutes a day?

narouz

Charlie said:
If anyone has advice on how to use the red light it would be greatly appreciated.
I am also confused if you should use red light or infrared. Someone said to use both for deeper penetration.

I am fascinated by this Peat area.
As far I can tell, Charlie,
the kind bulb that Peat recommends
is also a HEAT lamp.
I'm not sure about the InfraRed thing,
but...I'm thinking it is also infrared.

I wish I could paint a seemly picture in my imagination
of how these lights might be used.

As I'm grappling with it now
it would seem that here, in summertime, when I've got the AC going,
I would have to crank up the AC
to counterbalance/offset the dual 250 watt heat bulbs.
Kinda weird.
Not undo-able.
Just...a tad strange.
I mean if company stops by and you have to explain....

Another thing I'm wondering about is
is it desirable to have the lights shining into one's eyes.
Some theories of light say that is what you want to do.
What I've read with regard to Peat
is that one should have like a couple of them
and use them in bursts of 5 to 20 minutes throughout the day and evening, but not too late.
Danny Roddy's facebook page how has a cool thread about light.

Maybe it was on that site that someone who seemed to know said
that you need to focus the bulbs on the upper half of your body.
Why? Dunno.
This person did not seem to say they had to be shining directly into one's eyes.
That might be a bummer.

cliff

I usually have a heat lamp running when it starts to get dark and typically will have it on all night

narouz

cliff said:
I usually have a heat lamp running when it starts to get dark and typically will have it on all night

Sorry to bombard you here, Cliff, but...

How do you sleep with the light?
Just doesn't bother you, or you have a mask or what?
(You're more thorough with this light thing than Peat himself--
didn't I read that he tried sleeping with these lights on
but said he stopped because it was unpleasant...?)

With all the quality and intense surfing sun you get...
Do you understand the light effects as being something one can't simply store for later (at night)?
In other words
even if someone gets a ton of sun all day
the nighttime stress situation as described by Peat still pertains...?

How much heat does the light add?
Do you have to use extra AC to offset it?

Finally: is there any part of the body the light should be aimed at, ideally?
For instance, should it be shining into one's eyes?

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
How do you sleep with the light?
Just doesn't bother you, or you have a mask or what?
(You're more thorough with this light thing than Peat himself--
didn't I read that he tried sleeping with these lights on
but said he stopped because it was unpleasant...?)
I have been putting my light above my bed the last couple nights and leaving it on right up till I go to sleep. Some people are reporting that you are able to go to sleep much easier with the light on, and stay asleep with the light on. I havent found that yet.

With all the quality and intense surfing sun you get...
Do you understand the light effects as being something one can't simply store for later (at night)?
In other words
even if someone gets a ton of sun all day
the nighttime stress situation as described by Peat still pertains...?
I am pretty sure the stress hormones start rising as soon as you are in the dark, and continue rising till its day time again.

How much heat does the light add?
Do you have to use extra AC to offset it?
It definitely puts out heat, I am under mine right now and can feel the heat. If it betters my health, I do not mind paying a little extra for AC. And in the winter, I have a feeling 2 or 3 of these will comfortably heat my small bedroom.

Finally: is there any part of the body the light should be aimed at, ideally?
For instance, should it be shining into one's eyes?
I was listening to Dr. Peat on a radio show a couple days ago. He said to be as naked as possible, and to shine the light on as much area as possible. Over in the Ray Peat Fans group, they are saying to shine it on the head and upper body per Ray Peat. I am assuming Ray said this because the upper body and head have the most skin area?

narouz

The devil sure is in the detail with this red light stuff.

There are a few things hanging me up,
keeping me from Seeing the Light on this. :roll:

First one is: I hate bright light shining into my eyes.
(Maybe this is a symptom revealing how MUCH I NEED red light!?)

This HEAT thing...I can overcome that, I guess.
Just makes me feel like Richard Nixon.
(He reportedly went to great lengths to have his Camp David cottage
artificially cooled to frigid temps
so that he could enjoy the coziness of a real fireplace fire in the summer. :eek: )

So I guess my big hang-up is the Light in the Eyes thing.
I'm imagining all sorts of bizarre set-ups I might employ to avoid it.
Maybe I could have a light or two set up beside me as I sit
working at my desk in the evenings...
set up with a metal deflector which would block the light shining into my eyes directly
and just allow the light to shine on my torso and legs...?

I guess there is another bummer to consider:
as one is paying more to jack up the AC to counter-balance the heat from the lamps
one is also paying more for the lamps themselves to run--
and that could be considerable:
they historically have been known as "heat lamps"
and I don't think they're exactly cheap to run,
especially several of them for long periods of time everyday... :(

But as you say, Charlie,
if they really, significantly help one's Health...
...I'd do it.

Anybody else here share my aversion to bright lights shining in one's eyes?
I was reading something online about this recently--
it was late at night and I'm not remembering it very well, but--
seems like the general notion about that was that
a sensitivity to bright lights is a giveaway that one desperately NEEDS red light therapy...? :cry:
I'll see if I can remember where I was reading that....

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
During the day when I am running it, like now, I keep it off to the side so its not blaring in my eyes. Or, I keep it behind me. Danny Roddy says he blares it into his retina's if I remember his statement correctly. Me, I dont want it in my face like that.

Last night, when laying in bed. I had the light on, pretty close to me, above me, maybe 2 feet away. Ran for about ten minutes, had my eyes closed because I dont really like the bright light either. So, I reached over and unplugged the light, eyes still closed, room completely dark, I had the most intense visuals I can ever remember. It lasted a good 15 seconds, but wow! It was pretty cool.

narouz

Another basic stumbling block for me would seem to be ridiculously easy to clarify:
Are "red lights" the same thing as "infrared lights"?

But I just have not been able to find a straight, clear answer to that!

If you look on, say, Wikipedia at the definition of "Infrared Light,"
it would seem to say that they are different,
that "infrared radiation" starts where "red light" ends.

Now, on this website...

http://www.redlighttherapyinc.com/

...they would seem to say that "red light" and "infrared light" are one and the same:

One emerging type of anti-aging treatment has recently gained popularity, but has shown amazing results for years. This treatment, discovered by NASA , is called RED light therapy. RED light therapy is characterized by infrared light, which is a unique type of light that has a stronger wavelength than other types of light.

Well, the prefix "infra" means "beneath," or "under," I believe.
The logic of the word would make one think that "infrared light" would be under or beneath "red light."

Another question batters around inside my head.
Have you seen advertisements for those "Amish" area heaters?
Actually, as I understand it, it's a bit of a scam
because the only thing Amish about the heaters is the (cosmetic) cabinetry in which it is enclosed.
Apparently the "heater" apparatus is and InfraRed heater which,
as the advertisements put it,
radiates rays out which heat the various objects--walls, chairs, humans?--they hit.
Claims to be a very economical and healthy way to heat.
Always seemed scary to me, like heating oneself with a microwave or something.

If those "Amish" heaters are indeed "infrared,"
I don't think they involve any LIGHT.
That makes me think that Red Light is different than InfraRed Light
(maybe Red Light is still a visible "light," whereas InfraRed is not really a "light"
but rather a form of "radiation"...?
But isn't Red Light a light AND a form of radiation...?)

I gotta get some closure on these vexing questions!

narouz

Charlie said:
. Danny Roddy says he blares it into his retina's if I remember his statement correctly.

I saw that too, Charlie, but as I recall
he later said he was just kidding.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
Charlie said:
. Danny Roddy says he blares it into his retina's if I remember his statement correctly.

I saw that too, Charlie, but as I recall
he later said he was just kidding.
Not sure he should be kidding around about stuff like that. :confused

narouz

"Hormones of Darkness"

Here's where I was reading about some implications of eyes sensitive to light:
Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues by Ray Peat
http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/aging-eyes.shtml

Degeneration of the retina is the main cause of blindness in old people. Retinal injury is caused by ordinary light, when the eyes are sensitized by melatonin, prolactin, and polyunsaturated fats. Bright light isn't harmful to the retina, even when it is continuous, if the retina isn't sensitized.

Melatonin and prolactin are induced by stress, and darkness is a stress because it impairs mitochondrial energy production.

The polyunsaturated fats which accumulate in the brain and retina damage mitochondria.

Iron, which accumulates prenatally, and then again with aging, reacts with unsaturated fats during stress to destroy cells.

The popular supplements melatonin, tryptophan, fish oils, St. John's wort, and the various omega -3 oils, all increase the risk of retinal light damage and macular degeneration. Serotonin uptake inhibiting antidepressants are suspected to be able to cause it.

[...]

(Chemically, the meaning of “a pigment” is that it’s a chemical which selectively absorbs radiation. Old observations such as Warburg’s, that visible light can restore the activity of the “respiratory pigments,” showed without doubt that visible light is biochemically active. By the 1960s, several studies had been published showing the inhibition of respiratory enzymes by blue light, and their activation by red light. The problem to be explained is why the science culture simply couldn’t accept crucial facts of that sort.)

The quote above makes me think Peat is dealing with "visible light,"
and that "red light" is different from "infrared light"
in that infrared light is not really even a "light" in that it is not visible...?

Peat continues...

When I moved from Mexico, first to Montana and then to Oregon in 1966, I became very conscious of how light affects the hormones and the health. (For example, in Montana I experienced an interesting springtime shedding of body hair.) Many people who came to cloudy Eugene to study, and who often lived in cheap basement apartments, would develop chronic health problems within a few months. Women who had been healthy when they arrived would often develop premenstrual syndrome or arthritis or colitis during their first winter in Eugene.

The absence of bright light would create a progesterone deficiency, and would leave estrogen and prolactin unopposed. Beginning in 1966, I started calling the syndrome “winter sickness,” but over the next few years, because of the prominence of the premenstrual syndrome and fertility problems in these seasonally exacerbated disorders, I began calling it the pathology of estrogen dominance. In the endocrinology classes I taught at the National College of Naturopathic Medicine, I emphasized the importance of light, and suggested that medicine could be reorganized around these estrogen-related processes. If the sparrows of Times Square mated in the winter because of the bright lights, it seemed clear that bright artificial light would be helpful in regulating human hormones.

So, in the quote above it seems clear that Peat is talking about "lights," not just waves or radiation,
and that the lights are "bright" (visible), so again--not infrared...?

Also, and this has probably been perfectly clear to everyone but me,
it seems clear that the "artificial" bright lights Peat notes
are substitutes--or partial substitutes--for the natural light of the sun.
(So is it also clear, then, that Peat would presumably favor at least moderate sun-tanning
and artificial tanning in safe "tanning beds"...? I would tend to think so.)

Peat continues, discussing the role of melatonin in light sensitivity:

Almost any kind of stress increases the formation of melatonin....

... In the retina, melatonin increases the sensitivity of the cells to dim light. It, along with prolactin, another nocturnal hormone, helps to produce dark adaptation of the eyes.

Melatonin increases the concentration of free fatty acids during the night (John, et al., 1983; John and George, 1976)), so it’s interesting that one of the long-chain highly unsaturated fatty acids, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), also increases the light sensitivity of the retina.

Melatonin lowers body temperature, causes vasoconstriction in the brain, heart, and other organs, and slows reactions. An antagonist to melatonin acts as an antidepressant, reducing “behavioral despair” resulting from stress. (Dubocovich, et al., 1990.) So, in the behavioral sense, melatonin reduces sensitivity, yet it increases the eyes’ sensitivity to light, causing them to be injured by light that would otherwise be harmless....

...Melatonin is said to intensify dreaming, which is part of the process of arousal from sleep.

All of the stress-related hormones increase during the night. One of the ways these hormones of darkness act is to increase the sensitivity to light, in a process that is an important adaptation for organisms in dim light. In the night, our ability to see (and respond to) dim light is increased. But dark-adapted eyes are very sensitive to injury by bright light. Light that ordinarily wouldn’t harm the eyes, will do serious damage when the eyes are dark adapted.

...and...

Red light is protective, blue light (or u.v.) is harmful, so wearing orange lenses would be helpful. Progesterone and pregnenolone, by reducing the stress reactions, should be helpful--in the eye diseases of infancy and old age, as they are in the respiratory distress syndromes.

That last paragraph would seem to indicate that the sun's light
contains both good and bad light--because the sun does radiate UV along with red light...?

One more peripheral observation on something Peat mentioned about melatonin above:

Melatonin is said to intensify dreaming, which is part of the process of arousal from sleep.

That was interesting to me
because we usually associate dreaming with deep, REM, healthful sleep.
But maybe if we're dreaming a lot that indicates unhealthy sleep,
under the influence of too much melatonin--a stress hormone of darkness...?

And, to answer my own question in this thread, earlier,
it would seem that my aversion to bright lights
might indicate (surprise!) that I've been damaged by
melatonin and prolactin and estrogen and iron and (of course!) PUFAs
and all of the "Hormones of Darkness."

I will fight, fight against the dying of the light!
Bring on the Red Lights!

Rem

Red and infrared refer to the wavelenght of the light/radiation.
I think they are often used interchangeably because the spectrum of incandescent lights roughly follows a Wien's law, so if the peak intensity hits in the visible-red range then infrared wavelengths are still significant, and vice-versa.

narouz

Rem said:
Red and infrared refer to the wavelenght of the light/radiation.
I think they are often used interchangeably because the spectrum of incandescent lights roughly follows a Wien's law, so if the peak intensity hits in the visible-red range then infrared wavelengths are still significant, and vice-versa.

Thanks Rem.
If I'm reading you right,
you're saying that
while they overlap some, they are not the same.

OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
OP
charlie

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: "Hormones of Darkness"

narouz said:
The quote above makes me think Peat is dealing with "visible light,"
and that "red light" is different from "infrared light"
in that infrared light is not really even a "light" in that it is not visible...?

Well, these "infrared" lights I am running are really bright, and really visible!

narouz

Some Peat quotes from Danny Roddy's article:
Ray Peat's Brain: Building a Foundation for Better Understanding
http://www.dannyroddy.com/main/2011...ding-a-foundation-for-better-understandi.html

Interesting quotes.
Some clarify.
Some muck things up even more!:

"It does suppress melatonin. I think the problem with light research is that many of them weren't using similar levels of light energy at the different wavelengths. I have tried sleeping with red light, and I didn't like it; but it can be equally effective, for maintaining blood sugar or reducing inflammation, if it shines only on the feet or legs. I think the u.v. lamps are good for use in the winter." --R. Peat

Interesting, above, that he says "red light" and says it can be effective shining on legs and feet.
But he confuses me when he uses the term "u.v. lamps."
He says, "I think the u.v. lamps are good for use in the winter."
So there is he using the term "u.v. lamps" interchangeably for "red light"?
That wouldn't make sense, because "U.V." stands for UltraViolet--
isn't that what is sometimes referred to as "blue light"--the bad kind of light?

"During the night all of the hormones of stress and inflammation rise, and the ice cream decreases them enough for you to stay asleep, but they still rise. Having more very bright light (several hundred watts of incandescent bulbs) in the hours from sundown until bedtime will lower them a little more. Since T3 is used up very quickly, allowing the proinflammatory TSH to rise during the night, it would help if you used Cynoplus at bedtime, instead of Cynomel. If you were taking 10 mcg of cynomel, then a third of a tablet of cynoplus would provide that, as well as the T4 that holds the TSH down longer. Having an egg every day, and liver once a week, will help to balance the effects of the thyroid hormone, which increases your need for vitamins, especially vitamin A.

I use them (incandescent light bulbs) for keeping my area warm, instead of centrally heating the house. My view of the energy saving light bulbs is that putting a cork in the plug saves more energy (and doesn't contain mercury)."

Now I get confused, because Peat seems to use "incandescent bulb"...what?...interchangeably for "red light"?
But not all incandescent bulbs are "red light" bulbs, are they?