small victories

Blossom

Forum Supporter
A complete stranger stopped me at the grocery store to ask if I knew the difference between margarine and butter! I explained the difference and added that I personally always choose real butter. When asked why I told him the story about my grandpa, bird seed and butter. I told him " My Grandpa told me to always eat real butter. He said that once he rolled bird seed in butter and bird seed in margarine. The birds ate all the seeds rolled in butter and none of the seeds rolled in margarine." He liked my story I guess because he put up the margarine he had in his hand, thanked me and replaced it with real butter! That made my day! :partydance

LucyL

Interesting story, because you would think if anything was going to eat seed oil, it would be birds...

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
LucyL said:
Interesting story, because you would think if anything was going to eat seed oil, it would be birds...
It's a simple story but one that's been part of my family lore since childhood. I've made a lot of dietary mistakes but eating margarine wasn't one of them because of that. I was surprised when the man asked me that question but I told him "you've asked the right person!" and "most people wouldn't agree with me, but...." He admitted that his aunt who was raised on a farm had told him pretty much the same thing I did. I think he might have asked me because I had on a medical worker uniform. :roll:
That's a good point about the birds and seed oils. When I glanced at the label it looked like about 10 or more ingredients were listed :shock: It's hard to say which one would be the worst.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
I think he might have asked me because I had on a medical worker uniform. :roll:

:eek: :rolling

Peata

Good story. Years ago I had a woman harass me in the checkout line because I was buying real butter. Her husband had to tell her to mind her own business, haha.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Peata said:
Good story. Years ago I had a woman harass me in the checkout line because I was buying real butter. Her husband had to tell her to mind her own business, haha.
Unbelievable! Must have been PUFA brain. I would never talk to someone about what's in their grocery cart. That's what made today's scenario so cool- being asked about margarine made it okay to say what I would so often like to say but don't.

Peata

Blossom said:
Peata said:
Unbelievable! Must have been PUFA brain. I would never talk to someone about what's in their grocery cart. That's what made today's scenario so cool- being asked about margarine made it okay to say what I would so often like to say but don't.

Yeah I was so shocked I couldn't say anything. I probably just stared at her. The couple was maybe in their 60s, and the sad thing is, I got this feeling that they had known at one time that butter was good, and that maybe she wanted to eat it... if only it was healthy. She was so brainwashed by the campaigns for unsaturated fats that she just couldn't get through it. Instead, she felt like she was warning me about the dangers of butter. She just couldn't get over the fact that anyone would use real butter and jeapardize their health.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have a family member just like that. He proudly presented me with " gluten free margarine" the last time I went for a visit! He also had fits over my use of coconut oil. Sad thing is he has been diagnosed with cancer. I suppose I should be happy he cares.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Rogue medical worker spotted at supermarket warning: Don't eat MARGARINE! :lol:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
You are bad for business. :mrgreen:

SQu

Unbelievable Peata!
The birds do know best, Blossom. The vet told me to take my cockatiel off seeds because it was a common and damaging myth that seeds are good for them and in fact eating seeds shortens their lives. ( She had been egg bound). Vet said proper food like people eat, especially egg, meat, cheese. our bird especially loved egg and toast. Her plumage improved, and her mood. My guess is in nature seeds would only be part of their diets, with bugs etc found along the way playing a big role, as with chickens.

LucyL

sueq said:
Unbelievable Peata!
The birds do know best, Blossom. The vet told me to take my cockatiel off seeds because it was a common and damaging myth that seeds are good for them and in fact eating seeds shortens their lives. ( She had been egg bound). Vet said proper food like people eat, especially egg, meat, cheese. our bird especially loved egg and toast. Her plumage improved, and her mood. My guess is in nature seeds would only be part of their diets, with bugs etc found along the way playing a big role, as with chickens.

Funny, I just posted on the PUFA free egg thread about the diet of wild prairie chickens. Insects do indeed make up to half of their diet, and the rest is varied and seasonal mix of seeds, fruits, greens, acorns etc.

The robins nesting outside our back door are currently very busy chasing insects and worms and bringing them back to their babies. I suppose they might feed them seeds or greens but I have yet to identify that in their beaks. And they certainly aren't plucking seeds out of the air when they are flying around our porch light at dusk :):

sladerunner69

wow I've been peating so long I guess it's ahrd for me to beleive someone doesn't know that margirine is made from vegetable oils! Like seriously who doesnt know that? All of people don't pay any thought to it I guess.... "they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't safe!" :(

On the bright side they started selling pastureized eggs at my local target for 5 bucks 18pack!

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sladerunner69 said:
post 118018 wow I've been peating so long I guess it's ahrd for me to beleive someone doesn't know that margirine is made from vegetable oils! Like seriously who doesnt know that? All of people don't pay any thought to it I guess.... "they wouldn't sell it if it wasn't safe!" :(

On the bright side they started selling pastureized eggs at my local target for 5 bucks 18pack!
That's great sladerunner69! This thread reminds me of something that happened last summer on vacation. I was staying in a vacation home with about 15 other people who arrived before me. I scanned the fridge and cupboards before heading out to the grocery and noticed the only 'butter' in the house was actually low fat margarine so I bought some butter for the week. Seriously by the next day the whole pound of butter was GONE before I even had a chance to use it. I bought 3 pounds of butter that week and all the low fat margarine was left untouched on the last day. I thought it was pretty funny that people who would normally not eat real butter thinking it unhealthy actually chose it over the fake stuff when real butter was available. I never encouraged anyone or even talked about the butter. Maybe they were just splurging on vacation :? IDK but it's still pretty cool that the margarine never got used that week!

Last edited by a moderator:

sladerunner69

Lol that's funny. Have you ever had margirine? Truly foul stuff, I never liked it as a kid and don't know anyone who actually does. However the "saturated fat causes heart disease" myth is so prevalent in our culture that everyone is too scarred to pick the palatable option, and isntead goes with the one that actually causes hear attacks..... :eek:

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
sladerunner69 said:
post 118080 Lol that's funny. Have you ever had margirine? Truly foul stuff, I never liked it as a kid and don't know anyone who actually does. However the "saturated fat causes heart disease" myth is so prevalent in our culture that everyone is too scarred to pick the palatable option, and isntead goes with the one that actually causes hear attacks..... :eek:
Yeah, I've had it and agree it's pretty gross. Fortunately growing up we always had butter around. My mom did fry a lot of stuff corn oil though. :barf

Lilac

Part of me would love to tell strangers about how bad seed oils are. I especially feel this when I see them buying the giant bottles of corn oil in the big-box stores.

I never stopped eating butter, despite buying into a lot of the conventional wisdom (whole grains, raw broccoli and cabbage). I was influenced by Durk Pearson and his Life Extension book in the 80s, and he ate butter.

OP
Blossom

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lilac said:
post 118103 I never stopped eating butter, despite buying into a lot of the conventional wisdom (whole grains, raw broccoli and cabbage
Me too. I think soy was the worst. Luckily butter was so great to cook with I kept using it! The way water would separate out when cooking with margarine never seemed right to me. :?
Lilac said:
post 118103 Part of me would love to tell strangers about how bad seed oils are. I especially feel this when I see them buying the giant bottles of corn oil in the big-box stores.
I know. :(

sladerunner69

Blossom said:
post 118100
sladerunner69 said:
post 118080 Lol that's funny. Have you ever had margirine? Truly foul stuff, I never liked it as a kid and don't know anyone who actually does. However the "saturated fat causes heart disease" myth is so prevalent in our culture that everyone is too scarred to pick the palatable option, and isntead goes with the one that actually causes hear attacks..... :eek:
Yeah, I've had it and agree it's pretty gross. Fortunately growing up we always had butter around. My mom did fry a lot of stuff corn oil though. :barf

Yuuuuckk... how does one change corn into oil anyway? It's a fat free food :|

Also LOL that's like the funniest emoji I've ever seen how do i get it on my phone?!?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals