haidut

Forum Supporter
The study used a common PD rodent model, and was bases on the assumption that NO causes PD. So, another point for Ray. The scientists also used Ceylon cinnamon (as opposed to the cheap and toxic ground cinnamon) to reverse the disease progression. The dosage was equivalent to about 500mg-600mg cinnamon powder (not an extract) a day for a human.
Another interesting thing is that the mechanism of action for cinnamon in this study was that it is metabolized to sodium benzoate. Sodium benzoate is a pharma drug for liver conditions involving toxic levels of ammonia. So, it may be that liver dysfunction due to overload with NO is the actual PD cause, since the organism cannot detox the estrogen and endotoxin well.
Another reason to eat your protein and keep the liver happy.

Cinnamon May Help Halt Parkinson’s Disease Progression | News Releases | Rush University Medical Center

Also, actual study is attached to the post and here are some relevant quotes.
"...Expectedly, addition of NO donor, DETA-NONOate, increased the level of NO in NaB-treated astrocytes (Fig. 2a). Abrogation of NaB-mediated protection of DJ-1 and Parkin in IL-1β-activated astrocytes by DETANONOate (Fig. 2b–c) suggests that NO scavenging is involved in NaB-mediated protection of these PD-related beneficial proteins."

"...Since NO removal is involved NaB-mediated protection of DJ-1 and Parkin in activated astrocytes, we examined if NO alone is sufficient to down-regulate these proteins in astrocytes. Therefore, we tested the effect of L-NIL, an inhibitor of iNOS, and PTIO, a scavenger of NO, on the status of DJ-1 and Parkin in IL-1β- activated astrocytes in the absence of NaB. Protection of DJ-1 and Parkin in IL-1β-activated astrocytes by L-NIL and PTIO (Fig. 3a & c) suggests that scavenging of NO alone is sufficient to protect these beneficial proteins in activated astrocytes. Next, we examined the effect of DETA-NONOate on the expression of DJ-1 and Parkin in normal astrocytes. Suppression of DJ-1 and Parkin protein expression by DETA-NONOate in the absence of IL-1β (Fig. 3b & d) suggests that production of NO alone is capable of downregulating DJ-1 and Parkin in astrocytes."

Attachments

• e3a8b61c9fa75772afa95615915552b1.pdf
    4.3 MB · Views: 168
Last edited:
Would this also go for restless legs syndrome? I know it is treated by raising dopamine as well, and I tend to get it when the effects of coffee fade away, at night. I also get it with chocolate, which has the beta-phenethylamine also linked to dopaminergic neuron degeneration. Parkinson's disease sufferers seem to crave chocolate though, so I don't know.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
Would this also go for restless legs syndrome? I know it is treated by raising dopamine as well, and I tend to get it when the effects of coffee fade away, at night. I also get it with chocolate, which has the beta-phenethylamine also linked to dopaminergic neuron degeneration. Parkinson's disease sufferers seem to crave chocolate though, so I don't know.

I think Ray wrote that RLS is caused by gut inflammation. Low dopamine can be involved as well, so not surprised dopaminergic drugs help.
I have not seen anything on cinnamon and dopamine, but there are quite a few studies on PubMed showing benefit from cinnamon on ulcer, colitis, IBS, etc.

I wonder if some cinnamon in milk could benefit the stomach, not sure where to find that variety though.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
Such_Saturation said:
I wonder if some cinnamon in milk could benefit the stomach, not sure where to find that variety though.

If cinnamon reduces NO like the study says then it should help the stomach. Most stores have Ceylon Cinnamon, you just have to ask for it. I got mine from Whole Foods, but Trader Joes and Safeway also carry it. I got the "Frontier" brand and it tastes delicious, much better than the regular cinnamon that burns my mouth and stomach.
Just ask your local store for Ceylon Cinnamon and they should be able to help. Also, my bottle says Ceylon Cinnamon clearly and it was about 25% more expensive than regular. The regular cinnamon was right next to it, and you could see that people were buying mostly the Ceylon one.
Just Google for it to see what some of the more popular brands looks like and then you'll know what to look for in the store.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter

dukez07

Maybe I'm being thick here, but there are so many things that increase NO. Most of which, as far as I am aware, aren't related to senility or Parkinson's. In fact, much of it, is promoted as health promoting compounds (chocolate, etc). Or are these compounds not pushing NO to dangerous levels?

jyb

dukez07 said:
Maybe I'm being thick here, but there are so many things that increase NO. Most of which, as far as I am aware, aren't related to senility or Parkinson's. In fact, much of it, is promoted as health promoting compounds (chocolate, etc). Or are these compounds not pushing NO to dangerous levels?

Where did you read that chocolate increases NO?

Krill oil is also promoted as a health promoting compound.

dukez07

jyb said:
dukez07 said:

Where did you read that chocolate increases NO?

Hmm, maybe I got it wrong. Not sure if it even does. I think it has been shown to have blood pressure lowering effects, but I wouldn't even have a clue as to the mechanism.

Ok, what about a revered Chinese herb like panax ginseng? I've got the studies for showing it increases NO. It has thousands of years of use behind it, and many, many studies unfortunaely much of it in Chinese (yet to be interpreted by the Western world). It is a well known brain tonic. I can confirm from personal experience that it does nothing but boost cognitive processes. Perhaps it's benefits arise from something else, completely unrelated to NO. Perhaps it doesn't boost NO to a significant degree. When I have taken PDE5 inhibitors in the past, much stronger than panax, they do come with side effects.

So, with dietary intake of nitrates being detrimental to our health, i am assuming that those who are on the McDougall diet are going to have very high levels of NO (if they follow it properly). Low fat, lots of veg (spinach, beets, onions, garlic, etc), fruit (watermelon).

If something increases Nitric oxide production it might be lowering ROS production as a consequence.

TeslaFan

Such_Saturation said:

Interesting information on beta-phenethylamine. Do you remember the source for that study on dopaminergic neuron degeneration?

skominac said:
Such_Saturation said:

Interesting information on beta-phenethylamine. Do you remember the source for that study on dopaminergic neuron degeneration?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23575894

khan

I tried cinnamon after reading several posts on this forum. I get massive boost in motivation and it feels like I am on dopergin. I am interested in knowing why some people get depressed after having choline?

Peatri Dish

I've had a great response to Ceylon cinnamon. I started taking it about a week ago after reading Haiduts post on ammonia.I can't believe the energy boost! I've been mixing a quart of milk with 4 t of sugar and 1 t of Ceylon cinnamon. I drink a bit whoever I eat protein . I wish every I intervention was this obviously helpful!

Peatri Dish

I just realized that one of the side effects of acetazolamide is decreased ammonia clearance. So, since I take aceta Diazol, that probably explains the intense response.

burtlancast

Such_Saturation said:

Ray Peat said:
] Restless leg syndrome is another night-time reaction to bacterial overgrowth

So, carrots for you...