Progesterone

peatarian

jyb said:
Can progesterone be useful for men (either orally or topically), and if so for what purpose? My limited understanding is that is more useful for women, however I read somewhere that Peat himself used it so I'm curious.

On a related note, what would you recommend for healing some redness from scars or acne? I'm talking about existing marks, not how to prevent new ones - which I more or less prevent on a Peat diet. I have some Vitamine E from unique-E, it might be useful for scars but not acne prone areas like the face because its oily (glycerin) so it would probably trigger some new acne instead of healing it. I think Peat mentions pregnelonone, but I don't think it works topically like progesterone, and some users report more acne so I'm not sure if its a good idea. Same for niacinamide, I have some pure powder but I'm not sure how I would use it topically.

I once gave a man I know my progest-e (because I thought it was a good idea). I checked with Ray Peat because I wasn't sure. Here is his answer: "Why is he using progesterone? Pregnenolone is easier for a man to use, since if testosterone is low, progesterone could lower it even more. If his cholesterol is above average, just taking thyroid could increase those steroids."

I still think that it has its use in men with injuries and head traumata. Vitamin E alone is healing on wounds. Yes, you can use pregnenolone topically. T3 works sometimes, caffein or alcohol. Have you ever tried minocycline?

Birdie

peatarian said:
Birdie said:
Charlie said:
I can't quite remember where from. But I believe, that is the reason Ray Peat patented the progest-e because he found that the vitamin E was incredible at getting progesterone into the body.
I remember that he discovered it mixed into the vit E easily. He got his patent on that. I'm not sure you've got the other quite right.

Charlie is right, because of the combination with vitamin E the progesterone avoids the liver during 'first pass' and is absorbed by the mucous membranes of the stomach.
Oh, yes, I remember that.

Lucy

Hi Peatarian,

thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was a vitamin C supplement in powder form, from a pharmacy. He really loves sour fruits and eats lots of them, but it seems like it's never enough so he adds some vitamin C powder into his drinks, sometimes quite large amounts. I got worried when I read your statement that it can destroy the kidneys, but if I present him some good evidence for this, he might listen to me and stop using it. :)

peatarian

jyb said:
@peatarian: How do you use the charcoal? You mention using it every 3 days before bed. I have some active charcoal capsule (veg cellulose). Should I open the capsules and drink it raw (its dirty but just manageable)? How many should I aim for? Should I eat anything like raw carrots at the same time?

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post. I always buy 1kg of charcoal because it's cheeper. I use 3 to 5 tablespoons (I think that means more in mainland Europe than in UK or US) in Water. I usually mix it in a glass bottle.
Eating or drinking anything but water with it would be wasting it since the charcoal will absorb everything, even nutrients. It is used as first aid treatment of poisoning.

Birdie

Lucy said:
Hi Peatarian,

thanks for your reply. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, what I meant was a vitamin C supplement in powder form, from a pharmacy. He really loves sour fruits and eats lots of them, but it seems like it's never enough so he adds some vitamin C powder into his drinks, sometimes quite large amounts. I got worried when I read your statement that it can destroy the kidneys, but if I present him some good evidence for this, he might listen to me and stop using it. :)
Also, Peat has said that a study found heavy metals in ascorbic acid. After I learned this, it took several months for my husband to stop using ascorbic acid powder in his oj. He thought it was healthy. I don't know if he also liked the taste. Dissolving aspirin in water gives a good sour taste I find.

peatarian

peatarian said:
Lucy - you did mean orange juice, right? Because there is a quote from the new newsletter: "Excessive citric acid, for example, might activate dormant cancer cells (Harvard, et al., 2011) and has been associated with malignancy (Blüml, et al., 2011).

I think the fact that it can activate cancer cells should be a good point. I was using the powder for months. Didn't do me any good.

Heather

peatarian said:
jyb said:
@peatarian: How do you use the charcoal? You mention using it every 3 days before bed. I have some active charcoal capsule (veg cellulose). Should I open the capsules and drink it raw (its dirty but just manageable)? How many should I aim for? Should I eat anything like raw carrots at the same time?

Sorry, I hadn't seen your post. I always buy 1kg of charcoal because it's cheeper. I use 3 to 5 tablespoons (I think that means more in mainland Europe than in UK or US) in Water. I usually mix it in a glass bottle.
Eating or drinking anything but water with it would be wasting it since the charcoal will absorb everything, even nutrients. It is used as first aid treatment of poisoning.

I think that Peatarian means teaspoons. A teaspoon = 5ml, and a tablespoon = 15ml

OP
N

narouz

Heather said:
peatarian said:
jyb said:

I think that Peatarian means teaspoons. A teaspoon = 5ml, and a tablespoon = 15ml

I don't think so.
At least I hope not. :shock:
I've been taking those multiple tablespoons once in a while.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
narouz said:
Heather said:
peatarian said:
jyb said:

I don't think so.

:eek: :shock: :lol:

Well, crap.

OP
N

narouz

Charlie said:
narouz said:
Heather said:
peatarian said:
jyb said:

I don't think so.

:eek: :shock: :lol:

Well, crap.

For what it's worth,
I survived.
I think I might've had a bit of a headache one time.
Damn gritty.
Like drinking clean dirt.

peatarian

I meant tablespoons.
I mix it in 250 ml of water. So maybe there's a difference?
It can't give you a headache. By absorbing endotoxins it will prevent headaches.
It might make the use of cascara necessary.
For me it usually doesn't.
I have tried using less but there was hardly any effect at all.
My weight is 63kg so if somebody is thinner, he might want to use less.
I know of a man with 120kg and he uses the same amount as me with the same positive effects.

HDD

I started Progest-E yesterday. I took a total of four drops orally in the afternoon. At 7 p.m. I noticed a headache and have had one since. I don't normally have headaches so am hesitant to continue with the progesterone. I am not taking thyroid but I am trying to do all other dietary factors and supplements. However, I admit I do not have a set protocol of what, how much, and when on many things. Has anyone experienced headaches or are there any requirements for taking the Progest-e? I used Emerita Pro-gest without any side effects (probably no benefit either), so did not consider that I might have a reaction.

kettlebell

Hi Diane,

Progesterone can quickly "Reset" hormones and ramp up your metabolism. It shuts down estrogen receptors permanently in your body and potentially can rapidly normalise your hormones encouraging a faster metabolism which requires fuel and nutrients to be sustained. Ensuring you are getting enough calories from fruit (sugar) and the required nutrients becomes very important.

When I first took pregnenolone I had the same thing - A big dose of sugar and I was right as reign in an hour. My nutrient requirements are still rising rapidly.

Of course I am speculating with the above potential issue but its worth keeping in mind :):

Hope your headaches pass!

KB

gretchen

kettlebell said:
Hi Diane,

Progesterone can quickly "Reset" hormones and ramp up your metabolism. It shuts down estrogen receptors permanently in your body and potentially can rapidly normalise your hormones encouraging a faster metabolism which requires fuel and nutrients to be sustained. Ensuring you are getting enough calories from fruit (sugar) and the required nutrients becomes very important.

When I first took pregnenolone I had the same thing - A big dose of sugar and I was right as reign in an hour. My nutrient requirements are still rising rapidly.

Of course I am speculating with the above potential issue but its worth keeping in mind :):

KB

This is pretty amazing. I'm wondering if this is only achievable with the Progest drops. Are the creams less effective?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Anecdotal reports around the web that I see is that the creams are not very effective.

gretchen

Charlie said:
Anecdotal reports around the web that I see is that the creams are not very effective.

Hmmmm..... yeah. Idk. I've used progesterone cream a few years; it seems to help a little. That's great though if the drops are better.

HDD

Thanks KB.

I am going to start again after Christmas. I think I need to be more methodical to determine what works. A daily log to keep track of what I ingest and vitals is needed here. It is a challenge for me to keep all the plates spinning, especially when I work or go out.

kettlebell

Haagendazendiane said:
Thanks KB.

I am going to start again after Christmas. I think I need to be more methodical to determine what works. A daily log to keep track of what I ingest and vitals is needed here. It is a challenge for me to keep all the plates spinning, especially when I work or go out.

I know exactly where you are coming from. A methodical approach is a good idea as you are then "testing" the adjustments you make to your way of eating and finding out what work and what doesn't. I find I need to do it continously as as I get healthier my requirements change.

Kelly

Re: Question on negative effects of progest e

Has anyone else ever seen a Peat article or interview where he talks about someone testing Progest-E by taking a 1/4 teaspoon of it then testing blood values at timed intervals afterwards? I swear I read this, and that it peaked at 20 mg at something like 1.5 after the dose, but I can't find the reference now. I think I'm going crazy!

peatarian said:
When you say that your menstruation has been weak already (meaning hardly any bleeding, I suppose) this is usually a sign for a strong estrogen dominance and low thyroid function. The body shuts down fertility functions to safe energy.
The menstruation starts when your progesterone level drops. (If you want to know exactly, I recommend to read Ray Peat's 'From PMS to Menopause' and everything by Katharina Dalton, starting with 'Once A Month'.) If your estrogen is high, your body will produce as much progesterone as possible to antagonize it. When it drops and estrogen is suddenly unopposed - the menstruation bleeding is heavy. If there is hardly any progesterone to oppose the estrogen to begin with - the drop is not significant and produces hardly any effects. Estrogen will stimulate building up the mucous membranes of the uterus, progesterone will maintain it and keep the tissue oxidized. <clipped>

Peatarian:

I don't know if you come here anymore, but I find all your posts so fascinating. I borrowed Once a Month from my library because you mention it here and Wray Whyte also references Katharina Dalton. I was very surprised when I read it that she seems to think there are times when supplemental estrogen is warranted. I was not expecting that! What are your thoughts on those parts of her book?

gretchen

kettlebell said:
Hi Diane,

KB

I frequently read on meno boards that people gain on progesterone, but it's been the opposite for me. It seems key to why I am not getting bigger especially around the waist.

I wonder if anyone can explain why Peat recommends lower dosages of progesterone while doctors prescribe creams that contain upwards of 100 mg or so. Thanks.