Aspirin: Testimonials, And Questions Answered

gretchen

I took a lot of aspirin over the summer- 3 350 mg tablets a day- and got high pitched ringing in my ears. I've started back recently on 1 350 mg tablet a day but haven't picked up vit K.... Not sure where to look for it actually.

Sometimes the aspirin works like a magic bullet; it really seems to give an energy boost and is also great for constipation. I tend towards estrogen dominance (being older is just naturally stressful), so I'll probably take it for life.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
A lot of people are using the Thornes K2. You can find it on the supplement list at the link below:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=226

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Well, like Clint said. If you buy the 500 grams, thats 6,250 doses if you were to take 80 milligrams a day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Hat tip to Sabine, this is an email to Ray Peat:

Sabine said:
"How much aspirin do you recommend daily, just to add to ones diet while cleaning out PUFAs while generally healthy and of normal weight?"

Ray Peat said:
"Under those conditions, I don't normally recommend it, when good fruits and other fresh foods are available, but along with a small amount of vitamin E it might be protective to have about 50 to 100 mg of pure aspirin for the occasional surges of PUFA and prostaglandins that can be produced by stress."

kettlebell

Thanks Charlie,

I will reduce my amount. I was on 3gm a day and reduced it to 1.8gm a day (6 X 300mg tablets). No side effects or problems but if its not really that necessary I will reduce it.

What does "Generally healthy" mean though...

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Yeh I am one for doing things to the extreme, often. But, I really am thinking lately we should all be very cautious with this aspirin stuff. If Ray Peat calls for such small doses, then why take more then we need to??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Oh, and the only reason I go to the extreme is because how can you find the Tao de center otherwise. :eek: :lol: :whistle

kettlebell

Charlie said:
Oh, and the only reason I go to the extreme is because how can you find the Tao de center otherwise. :eek: :lol: :whistle

Ha, Exactly what I do. Push to the point where I break myself and then I know where the middle ground is.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Method behind the madness. :rolling

Birdie

I am not in the generally healthy category, probably. That answer to Sabine struck me as specific advice in a certain context.
There is a good link that Angela provided to Rob's forum post which lists Ray Peat Quotes on subjects such as aspirin.

Www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/04/22/ra ... n-aspirin/

I had to copy that address by hand and hope it's right. Angela put the link on the fans page. Hope mine works for you!

gretchen

I'm wondering if anyone can share what they have noticed from taking larger doses of aspirin versus lower doses.... The higher doses improve my bowels a great deal but seem to disrupt my sleep. I actually had a full-blown hot flash last night after taking a gram of aspirin. Wondering if it has an overly-blocking effect on my estrogen. In other words, is more really better.

jyb

1) Aspiring and vitamin K have opposite effect on blood clotting. Does that mean taking excess vitamin K is bad and encourage blood clotting? Ie, does it negate aspirin's positive actions in that respect? Since some of us take large doses of aspirin, we also supp with vitamin K so it would be easy to take an excess, hence my question.

2) There is a comment about aspirin in the PUFA detox thread that "aspirin is an inhibitor of Glucuronidation". Comments on this would be interesting.

gretchen

jyb said:
1) Aspiring and vitamin K have opposite effect on blood clotting. Does that mean taking excess vitamin K is bad and encourage blood clotting? Ie, does it negate aspirin's positive actions in that respect? Since some of us take large doses of aspirin, we also supp with vitamin K so it would be easy to take an excess, hence my question.

2) There is a comment about aspirin in the PUFA detox thread that "aspirin is an inhibitor of Glucuronidation". Comments on this would be interesting.

Actually, Peat says that PUFAs inhibit glucuronidation:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... onidation/

Aspirin has a beneficial, pro-respiratory effect the approximate opposite of estrogen, and suppresses the release of PUFAs etc. It doesn't seem like it could inhibit the liver's detoxification but rather helps mediate the bad fats so they don't have a chance to interfere with the liver's function:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... n-aspirin/

kettlebell

gretchen said:
jyb said:

Actually, Peat says that PUFAs inhibit glucuronidation:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... onidation/

Aspirin has a beneficial, pro-respiratory effect the approximate opposite of estrogen, and suppresses the release of PUFAs etc. It doesn't seem like it could inhibit the liver's detoxification but rather helps mediate the bad fats so they don't have a chance to interfere with the liver's function:
http://www.functionalps.com/blog/2012/0 ... n-aspirin/

Great work Gretchen! Succinct and Concise!

Destiny

I decided to start taking 1/4 aspirin = 81mg prior to my weight training 3 times a week to offset the PUFA related stress response/ Do I have to add Vit K to my diet? If for each 325mg aspirin we should take 1mg Vit K, that would come to 750mcg/week or about 100mcg/day if I take 243mg aspirin/week? Or is the Vit K only required if we take larger doses??

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I would think it would be a good idea. Ever consider kale broth? Or add kale to your gelatin broth for the last couple hours then strain it out?

Destiny

I cant seem to find any suggestion of Dr Peat how much Vit K2 he suggests to take if no taking aspirin. I dont eat green veggies anymore lol, and besides it only has traces of K1 anyhow.

Destiny

I emailed Dr. Peat since I could not find anything on the suggested amount searching his articles and googling:
Dear Dr Peat,
if I take one baby aspirin three times weekly prior to my weight training sessions, how much Vit K2 do you recommend daily? How much if I don't take any aspirin?

His reply: Vitamin K is good for protecting muscles and bones, so 500 micrograms to one milligram is good anyway, and it would be protective against even more aspirin.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals