Conjecture: Vitamin B6 And Zinc Reduce 5ar And DHT. This Treats Hair Loss, But May Not Be Safe

lvysaur

I've made two posts on Peatarian.com about this topic, and it'd be easier to just read my original posts there.

http://peatarian.com/52211/hypothesis-b ... e-hormones

http://peatarian.com/52219/how-do-b6-zi ... -synthesis

Basically, zinc and B6 in combination should inhibit 5ar (and thus DHT). This treats hair loss.

However, 5ar also synthesizes neuroprotective hormones. A common symptom of finasteride (which reduces 5ar) is brain fog.

If zinc and B6 inhibit 5ar in a similar fashion, using these as a natural hair loss therapy may also be undesirable.

Ben

DHT in itself is a positive hormone which is highly anti-estrogenic. My advice is to man up and care about something more important than your hairline. This is pathetic. The environment is getting destroyed and men care about their hairlines? I think they are women, not men. Too much environmental estrogen exposure, I think. I think I am balding because I lose a decent amount of hair in the shower and some people tell me I have a slightly receding hairline. How much time and energy do I dedicate to prevent the process from happening, if it really is happening? 0. Get a life, that is my advice to men who are worrying about this. There is more important things to worry about.

messtafarian

I think you're being a little hard on OP.

I am a woman and if my hair were falling out I would be spending every minute of spare time trying to fix that problem. My son is 22 and balding and he is very upset about it.

Play nice eh.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
messtafarian said:
I think you're being a little hard on OP.

Play nice eh.

:+1

Last edited by a moderator:

johns74

'being a little hard'? more like being completely wrong, almost idiotic.

Young balding men have the hormonal profile of women with PCOS. I guess that is Ben's idea of a manly man?

Ben

Hey guys. Harder, better, faster, stronger. The harder you teach 'em, the faster you learn, the more strongly they remember, the better they are. Let's start Ray Peat Fight Club! :P Jk. I was just expressing my true feelings.

johns74 said:
'being a little hard'? more like being completely wrong, almost idiotic.

Young balding men have the hormonal profile of women with PCOS. I guess that is Ben's idea of a manly man?
Do you know how to read English? :lol: My point was that focusing on a receding hairline instead of how to help society seems very feminine to me. One poster said she is a woman and said if she was balding, she would spend lots of time trying to stop it. That is very understandable for a woman as opposed to a man.

And obviously a lot of balding men are not masculine (at least when it comes to their personality) because they focus on their receding hairline instead of important issues. What they and women with PCOS have in common is that their levels of DHT, the most powerfully androgenic hormone in the human body, even moreso than testosterone, is elevated.

Also, a study showed that men with DHT deficiencies do not have less masculine personalities, DHT has absolutely nothing to do with internal masculinity. Read more about this stuff man, and make sure not to read with the carefulness that you read my post with. :mrgreen:

I started shedding hair at fifteen, like nine years ago. So the world keeps spinning. The sides are shaved, not bald. It is sad to see younger and younger people go through this every day but I've been there years before and years earlier as well, and this is unfortunately necessary to one day realize for yourself just how necessary the revolution is against estrogens and people who spread them. Every morning I count hairlines on the subway, and it's never more than one in five who is not losing hair.

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

Such_Saturation said:
I started shedding hair at fifteen, like nine years ago.

Is that you in your profile picture? You're 24 now?

It looks like you've kept your hair extremely well, if that's the case.

OP
lvysaur

lvysaur

Ben said:
My point was that focusing on a receding hairline instead of how to help society seems very feminine to me. One poster said she is a woman and said if she was balding, she would spend lots of time trying to stop it. That is very understandable for a woman as opposed to a man.

If two of your mom's brothers lost their hair in their 50s, the other brothers still have their hair, your mom's dad kept his hair, and your own dad still has a mop on his head in his late 50s, losing your hair at 21 is not normal.

Furthermore, I got a whole bunch of other health problems just before I noticed my thinning hair.

I'm just here to understand the adaptive process that leads to this, so that I can hopefully keep my hair, and more importantly keep my fitness and brain function.

lvysaur said:
Such_Saturation said:
I started shedding hair at fifteen, like nine years ago.

Is that you in your profile picture? You're 24 now?

It looks like you've kept your hair extremely well, if that's the case.

Well I was losing by the handfulls for years, then it calmed down. Now I can start to see thinning on the front.

aquaman

Ben you seem to fluctuate wildly in your state of mind (and hence state of posts), from depressive to manic. Just focus on your own health rather than telling others to not be interested in something.

Anyone got any thing useful to add to Ivysaur's original question?

All I know about zinc and B6 is they seem to both be positively thought of on this site, and by Peat.

lvysaur said:
Ben said:
My point was that focusing on a receding hairline instead of how to help society seems very feminine to me. One poster said she is a woman and said if she was balding, she would spend lots of time trying to stop it. That is very understandable for a woman as opposed to a man.

If two of your mom's brothers lost their hair in their 50s, the other brothers still have their hair, your mom's dad kept his hair, and your own dad still has a mop on his head in his late 50s, losing your hair at 21 is not normal.

Furthermore, I got a whole bunch of other health problems just before I noticed my thinning hair.

I'm just here to understand the adaptive process that leads to this, so that I can hopefully keep my hair, and more importantly keep my fitness and brain function.

Exactly. I am the first man in my family to bald. And my balding was predicated by various health issues and crappy skin. It's not just about vanity. It's about health and wellbeing.

aquaman said:

All I know about zinc and B6 is they seem to both be positively thought of on this site, and by Peat.
The study linked to uses "high concentrations" of zinc and B6 in vitro with the skin. Awaiting in vivo confirmation.

I think zinc is suggested by Peat only in very small doses and over a short period of time. B6 too needs to be taken in small doses. How much of the "high concentrations" would be absorbed through the skin? This seems a hard question, probably without a safe answer.

Instead, Peat suggests that aspirin and coffee be applied on the skin for balding. The idea is that the balding skin has gone out of redox balance, and the uncoupling effect of aspirin and coffee will generate CO2 in the skin and restore the redox balance.

In this theory of redox balance, anything that can help the skin generate high levels of CO2 will reduce or even reverse balding. It's a little like the person that cut his fingertip off and the fingertip grew back perfectly, even the finger nail, in a sealed CO2 rich environment. Here, the balding scalp is being regenerated completely every few days, so you just need to inject CO2 somehow into that ongoing regeneration.

johns74

Ben said:
My point was that focusing on a receding hairline instead of how to help society seems very feminine to me.

Typically you need to help yourself first to better be able to help society. Your self-denial, putting 'society' about yourself, are things most people don't care about.

cout12

Ben said:
DHT in itself is a positive hormone which is highly anti-estrogenic. My advice is to man up and care about something more important than your hairline. This is pathetic. The environment is getting destroyed and men care about their hairlines? I think they are women, not men. Too much environmental estrogen exposure, I think. I think I am balding because I lose a decent amount of hair in the shower and some people tell me I have a slightly receding hairline. How much time and energy do I dedicate to prevent the process from happening, if it really is happening? 0. Get a life, that is my advice to men who are worrying about this. There is more important things to worry about.

Hairline is a pretty big factor of physical attractiveness for both genders. I would definitely try to maintain my hair if I were balding. Women also care about looks. It's not feminine to want to look good. It's common sense for both sexes.

Ben

aquaman said:
Ben you seem to fluctuate wildly in your state of mind (and hence state of posts), from depressive to manic. Just focus on your own health rather than telling others to not be interested in something.

Screw you. You can't tell anything from some posts on an online forum. Furthermore, I've been more bold AND humorous lately. Some of my posts are jokes (though not shown clearly because I don't care much). Others have some useful information portrayed in a fun way.

You have no clue. Proves you're a little too serious (*cough* estrogenic*cough*)

Dizzryda

Instead, Peat suggests that aspirin and coffee be applied on the skin for balding. The idea is that the balding skin has gone out of redox balance, and the uncoupling effect of aspirin and coffee will generate CO2 in the skin and restore the redox balance.

I've heard Ray mention the coffee solution before. I wonder if anyone has tried it. I wonder how one would go about making such a solution. Any ideas?

contact

Dizzryda said:

I've heard Ray mention the coffee solution before. I wonder if anyone has tried it. I wonder how one would go about making such a solution. Any ideas?

I heard about this in one of Ray's audio clips here on the forum. It's basically coffee, aspirin and niacinimide in vodka or water. I've heard people repeat this many times in this forum, but has anyone actually tried it?